Code of Conduct

Default FYI: Counterfeit Tom Ford Extreme EDT pics

Hello,
    I thought I share these pictures with my fellow Basenoters. Although many of you are very knowledgeable about these things, I still think it's an interesting experience to share.

I don't wear this fragrance myself but have bought a couple of bottles for a friend in the past. I knew this eBay listing looked suspect (new seller, bottle size 100 ml, only 1 photo posted); but I was curious enough; fully prepared to take a chance and to put in a dispute if things went wrong.

I received it and upon confirming my suspicions, asked for my refund. The seller claimed they weren't knowledgeable about the item and that it was a gift. Also, they didn't know how to process a refund. I gladly helped them along; filed a counterfeit claim on the system and received a quick refund from the seller subsequently. They disappeared after that never asking for the item back.

What stands out to me are the following:
    -Based on my research, TFE is not produced in the 100 ml/3.4 oz size at all.
    -There's never an outer sleeve used and even then, the quality of the print is very poor (blurred, colors offset).
    -The ridged texture of the box is not as pronounced as the authentic item. It does have some texture but much flatter.
    -The bottle is much thinner and lighter in color. It's not even uniform and smooth in shape. Dark areas in the pictures are actual concave areas on the glass surface (see 7 o'clock to the left of the plaque).
    -The plaque is very thin and cheaply produced.
    -The ring/collar on the bottle has obvious cuts on the two sides and not only the mold of the plastic part wasn't clean, but the gold color is also missing in that area.
    -I don't have an authentic bottle in my possession so I can't compare other details such as the sprayer or the cap. However, I have to say those look and feel better than the rest of the other parts..
    -The scent! I only sprayed it on a tissue a couple of times. It's a cheap, synthetic, sharp but diluted floral that gets a little powdery. It has absolutely nothing to do with the woody, resinous oriental scent that TFE is. It's not even close (I thought they might at least make an attempt as it's the case for many fake Creeds).

I won't be testing this on my skin and will take it to my local HAZMAT collection center with batteries, etc.
    If any member would like to have this bottle for any reason, and is willing to pay for shipping, please let me know within a few days.

TFE 002.jpg
    TFE 003.jpg
    TFE 001.jpg
    TFE 005.jpg
    TFE 006.jpg
    TFE 007.jpg
    TFE 008.jpg
    TFE 009.jpg
    TFE 012.jpg
    TFE 010.jpg
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Default Re: FYI: Counterfeit Tom Ford Extreme EDT pics

Not a house I know well to comment on regarding potential fakes or what to look for in a fake from this house, but I appreciate the info you provided.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

3 points - the bottle size, the box and the fragrance itself give it away IMO. Thanks for sharing. I think recently there has been a surge in fakes of Tom Ford fragrances- both the signature line and the private blends.

My bottle of Grey Vetiver EdP says 'Made in Switzerland' so I am a bit surprised to see a bottle marked 'Made in USA'- could anybody please provide any information? Thanks!

I think I've see other genuine bottles that are "Made in USA."

When is that "Is My Bottle of __________ Fake" forum finally going to be open? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    When is that "Is My Bottle of __________ Fake" forum finally going to be open? LOL.
    I'm not asking that question. I just thought this might be good information for some people just as I've learned valuable information from other similar threads.
    Just public service!

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I think I've see other genuine bottles that are "Made in USA."
    Ok, thanks. I don't know why my bottle says 'Made in Switzerland'. I purchased it at a duty free in Europe- that could be it though.

Thanks for the info.
    Currently wearing: Rykiel Man by Sonia Rykiel

Good job posting the info RM. EBay has been absolutely bombarded with fakes in the past few months.

I've noticed that recently, it's the original buyers who have now started selling their fake bottles back on eBay. "Whoops I didn't know" is usually how it goes.

Tread very carefully when buying TF products in eBay.

Not saying this is not fake, but tom ford has two production line, one in USA one in Switzerland, in my country USA products is preferble, and ive seen two kind of tom ford extreme boxes, one with smaller box the other with larger box, not sure about the 100ML though

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Tread very carefully when buying TF products in eBay.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pichooo View Post
    Not saying this is not fake, but tom ford has two production line, one in USA one in Switzerland, in my country USA products is preferble, and ive seen two kind of tom ford extreme boxes, one with smaller box the other with larger box, not sure about the 100ML though
    +1, I have seen the USA version as well.

Hows the scent? does it last?

I described the scent in my original post. It has nothing to do wth TFE. Also this isn't about the style of the presentation box. Yes there was a different box available at one time (split like the private blends) but that is no longer in production.

Basenotes Member

Thanks for putting this up. You are right about Extreme not coming in 100ml bottles. As I've checked every authorized seller. Their website doesn't even offer it. Has anyone ever located the Switzerland plant?

Did you take a picture of the bottom wrapped? Was there a batch number on it? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JTK; 28th July 2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: one question added.
    Currently wearing: Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

TF and eBay is a fatal combination.

Very simple, don't buy anything from Ebay, Craigslist & other online flea markets and there is practically no chance you'll end up with a fake. I don't always buy direct from the department stores either but find Amazon and Fragrancenet to be very good.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Naitch View Post
    Very simple, don't buy anything from Ebay, Craigslist & other online flea markets and there is practically no chance you'll end up with a fake. I don't always buy direct from the department stores either but find Amazon and Fragrancenet to be very good.
    That is like saying don't buy fake Gucci hand bags in Chinatown NYC . Instead buy them from the Africans in midtown.

When will people learn ??????

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    That is like saying don't buy fake Gucci hand bags in Chinatown NYC . Instead buy them from the Africans in midtown.

When will people learn ??????
    I respectfully disagree. I've purchased many items from both stores and found them to be nothing but genuine. Older batch, overstock, maybe but not fake. I do know there are some marketplace sellers on Amazon that sell fakes. That's why you make sure to buy from Amazon directly. In Fleabay's case the evidence is overwhelming. They make their money off of wannabes who want to pretend to be rich by paying Dollar Store prices for Neiman Marcus goods Doesn't work that way..
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    Thanks for putting this up. You are right about Extreme not coming in 100ml bottles. As I've checked every authorized seller. Their website doesn't even offer it. Has anyone ever located the Switzerland plant?

Did you take a picture of the bottom wrapped? Was there a batch number on it? Thanks in advance.
    There was no batch number at all on the bottom of the box.