Code of Conduct
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Default Re: Sultan Pasha's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowartisttxl View Post
    You won a bottle? That's amazing! What a treasure!
    It's amazing how many new works (none of which have been losers in my book) he is capable of creating on top of being a totally one-man operation, and fulfilling as many orders as he does. Lord only knows how he does it.
    What do you mean by (eppendorf)?
    Also - I am just DYING to get my bottle of Al Lail. Jasmine is such a precious note, and to be highlighted in one of Sultan's attars???
    I mean, in my humble opinion he is one out of two perfumers to ever get Gardenia right, but I find jasmine to be just as hard despite producing an oil to work with. I loved Sarrasins, but can't justify buying a bottle as they are currently. Funny though, because SL is nowhere near the quality (despite still being an amazing house) of Sultan Pasha, and for the price, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't go for the SPA.
    Thank you.

IIRC, Eppendorf is the first company that introduced those tiny plastic vials that Sultan uses to send his attar samples. Filling them in is very tedious and down right annoying. You have to be patient.
    A very famous artisan oud distiller and perfumer recently told me that getting a good jasmine oil that doesn't go fatty in the dry-down is quite challenging. I can see where he is coming from as I have experienced it first hand in some experimental blends I made for personal use - both EO & absolute. So considering Sultan's love for floral and his very picky nose, I expect it to be excellent. The only good jasmine-orient attar and spray perfume I have enjoyed so far are Iasme (Mellifluence) and Salome (Papillon), respectively.
    Re SL: Big fan of the house as well, especially before those watery ones!
    I had the pleasure of smelling his latest version of J. d Bornea Gardenia in early 2018 at Jovoy London. He said that he added my expensive stuffs in it. Regardless it was gorgeous already. He is his biggest critique. Oh I am big fan of his FB posts too.

Well gang I received part of my package yesterday (due to miscommunication on my behalf) and I have to say Sultan Pasha is like Rick Astley: he will NEVER let you down.
    I've got samples of Juriah, Tabacaurum, Moonlit Reverie, L'Éphémère, Cuirlilas and a new fragrance: Cheval which is one hell of a growler! Imagine if Zoologist Hyrax or Dior Leather Oud were ancient primordial fragrances composed by the grand master Sultan himself.
    I will be testing these out in great detail over the next several days and will let you know my thoughts.
    But seriously: keep an eye out for Cheval. That thing is STUNNING!
    YT: Jess AndWesH

Well gang I received part of my package yesterday (due to miscommunication on my behalf) and I have to say Sultan Pasha is like Rick Astley: he will NEVER let you down.
    I've got samples of Juriah, Tabacaurum, Moonlit Reverie, L'Éphémère, Cuirlilas and a new fragrance: Cheval which is one hell of a growler! Imagine if Zoologist Hyrax or Dior Leather Oud were ancient primordial fragrances composed by the grand master Sultan himself.
    I will be testing these out in great detail over the next several days and will let you know my thoughts.
    Cheval is my favorite thing he’s done since Aurum D’anghkor—- I like it even more than Juriah and I think it’s just a stunning taif Rose animalic that growls more than any I’ve smelled(while still having that refined sultan touch).

Nice! I'll keep the eyes peeled for Cheval on his website. That Tabacaurum sounds amazing too. Sultan was good enough to throw in a sample of Cuirlilas with my last order. That one is amazing.

Cheval d'Arabie is available now. I want to try it so much besides Juriah, Tabacaurum and the other attars released recently

Quote Originally Posted by Yambali View Post
    Cheval d'Arabie is available now. I want to try it so much besides Juriah, Tabacaurum and the other attars released recently
    From his website:

For your attention, I present to you my most animalic of all my compositions. This is only for the brave and true connoisseurs of truly skanky, animalic raunchy earthiness ! Here I’ve tried to replicate the smell of an Arabian steed in all its glory and magnificence. From the very start it’s extremely horsey and wildly animalic only to slowly tame over time revealing his true poetic noble nature translated by wet dewy tart roses on a bed of citric olibanum, Elemi and Hindi oud all reinforced by the most pungent noble animalics found in perfumery. Let Cheval d’Arabie take you on a wild olfactive ride which will reward you from start to end.

Hindi Oud, Persian rose Otto, Taifi rose Otto, Hojari Frankincense oil, elemi, civet, saffron

Middle

Bulgarian Rose absolute, geranium absolute, Narcissus, Hindi oud, Hay absolute, leather, Indian Patchouli, civet,

Base

Hyrecium, Swedish Castoreum, Civet, black ambergris, white ambergris, animalic musks, Siamese Benzoin, leather, hay absolute, elemi, olibanum, mimosa absolute, chrysanthemum absolute

I’m wearing Cheval now and it’s just incredible. Even better than the “demo” version. Seriously the best animalic oud Rose I’ve ever worn.

Guys I have to say, Cuirlilas might be the biggest shocker for me to date. I have fallen so deeply in love with it - the almondy/buttery sweet leather on the top the creamy, slightly fruity but clean middle - the downright impossible base with its own smoky, sweet, fruity, chewy, creamy but skin-like leather.

Each stage of the drydown as it transitions into its next step I am pulled from my desire to remain into my desire for what I know comes next. It smells so beautifully gormand and yet so elegant, leathery and floral....!

I’m tempted to just buy another sample set at this point because there are so many new ones alongside a few that I need to revisit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Wow thanks for the comment on cuirlilas, I am also soo tempted but have to wait 2 more months, does anyone tried Tabacaurum yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SydnorIII View Post
    I’m tempted to just buy another sample set at this point because there are so many new ones alongside a few that I need to revisit.
    I did just that. Aurum still my favorite, but dang some of these newer ones look divine.

On 13th February, 2020, there was a historical lecture titled "A History of Perfumery from Antiquity to Today," where Irisoir (2017) was chosen as a neo-classical example, showcasing one of the many directions of current modern perfumery! It was held at Swedish National Museum with the assistance of Osmothèque. Congratulations SP!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashfaque View Post
    On 13th February, 2020, there was a historical lecture titled "A History of Perfumery from Antiquity to Today," where Irisoir (2017) was chosen as a neo-classical example, showcasing one of the many directions of current modern perfumery! It was held at Swedish National Museum with the assistance of Osmothèque. Congratulations SP!
    Wow! Super cool. Irisoir is unbelievable. It is an incredible replica of Iris Gris, spot on actually, but somehow deeper and even more complex.

Wow thanks for the comment on cuirlilas, I am also soo tempted but have to wait 2 more months, does anyone tried Tabacaurum yet?
    I got it as a sample in my last batch. Very nice... smells more like tobacco leaf than Tabac Grande, which is still a favorite of mine. My partner LOVED the Tabacaurum on me. I liked it a lot but— to me— Cheval was the showstopper of the two. I’m going to try a heavier wearing of Tabacaurum later on and I’ll let you know if my impressions change.

Thank you Proust, I was searching for an outstanding raw tobacco scent for a long time. I also like Tabac Grande but it kinda contains cherry vibe which is still amazing but not the scent that im searching for. Tabacaurum could be it

So after the long wait, my samples arrived! Left arm, Tabacaurum...beautiful! Green tobacco leaf, with some bright fruity floral dance going on...and soooo strong. Right arm, Incense.....and if any of you have been looking to find the legendary Norma Kamali Incense, this is your chance! I have a sample of the NK that I’ve used sparingly for years, and this Sultan Pasha Incense smells almost identical to it, to me. The same slightly chalky, deep, old school vibe....wow!

2 minutes later......

just after writing this, I happened to look through a Fragrantica page of reviews on SP incense, and the very first review was almost identical to my thoughts on the Norma Kamali incense comparison...so now I feel even more confident in how similar they are! You must like heavy myrrh type resinous incense fragrances though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    So after the long wait, my samples arrived! Left arm, Tabacaurum...beautiful! Green tobacco leaf, with some bright fruity floral dance going on...and soooo strong. Right arm, Incense.....and if any of you have been looking to find the legendary Norma Kamali Incense, this is your chance! I have a sample of the NK that I’ve used sparingly for years, and this Sultan Pasha Incense smells almost identical to it, to me. The same slightly chalky, deep, old school vibe....wow!

2 minutes later......

just after writing this, I happened to look through a Fragrantica page of reviews on SP incense, and the very first review was almost identical to my thoughts on the Norma Kamali incense comparison...so now I feel even more confident in how similar they are! You must like heavy myrrh type resinous incense fragrances though.
    Congratulations. Get your card ready. :P I so want to get Tabacaurum & a few more SPAs.

The labdanum in the dry down of 'Incense' is just stunning. This attar is a Myrrh lover's dream. The interplay amongst myrrh, frankincense, labdanum, and possibly elemi, a little bit of vanilla/tonka & birch is a nirvana for a incense lover like me. The smoke I get from it for the 1st 2 hours gives an impression of green smoke!

Congratulations. Get your card ready. :P I so want to get Tabacaurum & a few more SPAs.

The labdanum in the dry down of 'Incense' is just stunning. This attar is a Myrrh lover's dream. The interplay amongst myrrh, frankincense, labdanum, and possibly elemi, a little bit of vanilla/tonka & birch is a nirvana for a incense lover like me. The smoke I get from it for the 1st 2 hours gives an impression of green smoke!
    I am also finding that I better start setting aside some money for a couple SP purchases! The Incense lasted a full 24 hrs on me!

And today I am LOVING Tabac Grande and Thebes 1!!

The Tabac Grande is all that’s it’s praised to be. Very good wet vanilla spicy tobacco, and it projects very well.

Thebes 1 is my favorite so far! I love the dark, soapy spiciness, and it also has nice longevity and projection.

Man. Tabacaurum, Cuirlilas, Cuir de Russie and Cheval. Absolutely divine.

Just ordered 1ml's of tabacaurum, juriah, l'ephemere, cheval d'arabie, moonlit reverie and al lail, cant wait to try

Just ordered 1ml's of tabacaurum, juriah, l'ephemere, cheval d'arabie, moonlit reverie and al lail, cant wait to try
    So excited for you!

How do you wear these attars?

Do you do full swipes or just tiny dots on your pulse points?
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Quote Originally Posted by mahmadna View Post

For all the sample vials I’ve been trying, I’ve been using plastic toothpicks to dip in, and I swipe on whatever it pulls out. It’s only about an 1/8 inch high on the toothpick, but it’s plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by mahmadna View Post

Check this video - notice how little Sultan puts on skin, which is more than enough. See Nikhil's video for a general idea about attar application.

So far, no full swipe of any SPA for me as they are incredibly dense. I use 1-3 tiny pinhead amounts, depending on the intensity of the attar, weather and occasion. I noticed that with most of the SPAs, if I use more than that, I struggle to detect finer nuances. For example, Encens Chypre, which I'm wearing now. It is a classic chypre with an incensy backbone.

I always use plastic toothpick for SPA sample vials and rare ouds

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    So excited for you!
    Thank you Proust! I will receive them probably 6-7 weeks later but will update when I test them

Looking forward to reading your impressions of those. Most likely I'll have a SPA meet locally by next week where I can smell his new creations. Not that it matters because I intend to buy all SPAs.

Looking forward to reading your impressions of those. Most likely I'll have a SPA meet locally by next week where I can smell his new creations. Not that it matters because I intend to buy all SPAs.
    He’s so lovely. What an artist and a gentleman.

Thank you Ashfaque, you got such a great oppurtunity same here I want to buy them all too

Just actually finished sampling and experiencing all the 29 attars in the sample order. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience, although I hoped to really have fallen head over heals for more than I did. My impressions......

Loved:

- Nankun Kodo (really is like burning a Japanese incense stick, absolutely wonderful!)
    - Cafe Ambre Noir (a gourmand, but not to sweet, and just the right amount of smoky coffee and spice, beautiful!)
    - Truffe Blanche (a little anise type incense, but nice slightly vanilla spice gourmand too!)

Liked:

- Thebes 1 (kind of a dark, soapy, slightly spicy mix....very much dry.....FB potential for me)
    - Tabac Grande (a wet, thick tobacco with a nice hint of anise somewhere in it)
    - Incense (dead on the fabled Norma Kamali, thick and slightly chalky, nice)

OK:

- L’ Heure D’ Or
    - Tabacaurum
    - Cheval d’ Arabie
    - Juriah
    - Fougere Noir
    - Etude en Fougere

Not for me:

Irisoir, Ensar Rose, Vetiver Blanche, Al Hareem, Nuit Persane, Moonlit Reverie, Jardin Gardenia, Cuirlilas, Oud Douce Amere, L’ Ephemere, Rayon Vert, Diwaniya, Reve Narcotique, Al Lail, Shadee, Poude Noir, Sohan Iris

Most of the ones I didn’t care for were either way too floral with nothing to balance it (imo), or a few were actually very harsh a gave me an instant headache unfortunately. But all in all with a very fair sample price, I’m glad I purchased it. Hope to get 2-3 FB’s!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    Just actually finished sampling and experiencing all the 29 attars in the sample order. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience, although I hoped to really have fallen head over heals for more than I did. My impressions......

Loved:

- Nankun Kodo (really is like burning a Japanese incense stick, absolutely wonderful!)
    - Cafe Ambre Noir (a gourmand, but not to sweet, and just the right amount of smoky coffee and spice, beautiful!)
    - Truffe Blanche (a little anise type incense, but nice slightly vanilla spice gourmand too!)

Liked:

- Thebes 1 (kind of a dark, soapy, slightly spicy mix....very much dry.....FB potential for me)
    - Tabac Grande (a wet, thick tobacco with a nice hint of anise somewhere in it)
    - Incense (dead on the fabled Norma Kamali, thick and slightly chalky, nice)

OK:

- L’ Heure D’ Or
    - Tabacaurum
    - Cheval d’ Arabie
    - Juriah
    - Fougere Noir
    - Etude en Fougere

Not for me:

Irisoir, Ensar Rose, Vetiver Blanche, Al Hareem, Nuit Persane, Moonlit Reverie, Jardin Gardenia, Cuirlilas, Oud Douce Amere, L’ Ephemere, Rayon Vert, Diwaniya, Reve Narcotique, Al Lail, Shadee, Poude Noir, Sohan Iris

Most of the ones I didn’t care for were either way too floral with nothing to balance it (imo), or a few were actually very harsh a gave me an instant headache unfortunately. But all in all with a very fair sample price, I’m glad I purchased it. Hope to get 2-3 FB’s!
    Interesting! Many of my personal favs are in your ok pile: fougere Noir, etude, Juriah, Cheval... tabac Grande was the first that I fell in love with after Aurum D’anghkor (which is still my favorite ever of his).

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast