Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
o

Default Sultan Pasha's Fragrances

Recently, I purchased a couple of Sultan Pasha's (SP) fragrances. He is a member of basenotes and many of you probably recognize the username sultanpasha. He also sells on ebay as "scents-rarity": http://www.ebay.com/usr/scents-rarity

He was nice enough to send me a large assortment of samples plus a free 3mL bottle with my order! I have tried a bunch of them so far and have been very impressed. They are in oil form, undiluted, so a drop or two is all you need. His fragrances are mostly natural with the restrained use of some synthetics to enhance performance. Many all natural fragrances don't last long or provide enough sillage and projection while SP's oils are all very good performers. Here are some impressions:

La Fougre: This was the free 3 mL bottle and has ended up being a favorite and one I will definitely wear. It's a complex blend using all the traditional fougere elements of bergamot, lavender, oak moss, tonka and patchouli. This one also has some nice warm spices as well as a soapy note that I assume is one of the few synthetics used in the blend. There may also be some resins lurking in there too, SP's use of resins in his fragrances are genius. This is a very satisfying fragrance and a great quality fougere. Fans of this genre should definitely try La Fougre!

Ambre du Soleil: This was one of the two 3mL bottles I ordered and has turned out to be one of the best fragrances I own, it's really amazing. If you like Frankincense this is a no-brainer. SP uses 3 kinds of Frankincense and the mixture covers the full spectrum of what frankincense has to offer, from lemony top notes to incensy resinous mid and basenotes. The frankincense is augmented with citrus oils and ambergris. Cedar and castoreum is also listed in the description but these blend in so well it's hard to tell they are used. This makes a great spring and summer fragrance, the citrus and lemon lasts forever as the lemon note is from the frankincense, and the overall scent has great longevity.

That's it for today but I have a bunch more of SP's fragrances I will write my impressions of in the coming days. If anyone has any questions or wants to post their own impressions go for it.
    Last edited by Dorje123; 8th August 2015 at 07:59 AM.

Default Re: Sultan Pasha's Frangrances

Sultan's a wonderful resource on attar based fragrances. I have a sample package coming my way, I am very excited to see what real oud's, good and bad, smell like, as well as see what raw ingredients smell like, so I can train my nose better. I would highly suggest inquiring with him if anyone has interest in broadening their horizons beyond Western perfume archetypes.

I will update in time with my impressions, but I am excited to hear what others have to say as well!
    Favorite Fragrances:
    Fetish by: Roja Dove
    Amber Aoud by: Roja Dove
    Amber Aoud Absolue Precieux by: Roja Dove
    Vetiver Extrait by: Roja Dove
    "Creation E" Enigma by: Roja Dove
    Windsor by: Creed
    Spice and Wood by: Creed
    Pure White Cologne by: Creed
    Jardin d'Amalfi by: Creed
    M by: Puredistance
    17/17 Homme by: Xerjoff
    Tribute and Homage Attars by: Amouage

Top chap and very generous.
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:UK Only:Roja/Creed/ASAQ/Cartier/Agar Aura/Ensar Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Roja Dove Semi Bespoke 14
    Roja Dove Roja (Haute Luxe)
    Kilian Eternal Oud
    Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum
    Roja Dove Great Britain
    Nabeel Spirit of Dubai Baz

I love his Inferno and Incense Royale plus he has sent so many samples that i still need to go through. A real artist and very humble guy.

Oh yes, Shadee and Incense Royale are right at the top of my oud blends list, even though Shadee has no oud in it =)))!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried just a tiny bit of Incense Royale and was very impressed, he does a great job with resins/incense.

faheem, feel free to add any comments or impressions you have.

Encense Royale, cuir au miel, Enigma Intense, Aurum d'Angkhor, cheval d'Arabie, Inferno ( great!!), caffe ambre noir and its variations, and many others are some of the magic blends of this - still relatively known - "MAESTRO", a profumorum magister! Absolutely to try and I apreciate that you are not bound to blind buy from him, he's always available to send tiny samples of his creation

I honestly couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I saw this thread! Honestly never thought of the day a thread on Basenotes would be opened dedicated to my beloved blends.......I am sincerely humbled. This is truly wonderful.....God Bless you all for your kind comments and contributions.
    For some super rare goodies check me out on ebay: scents-rarity
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512613529...84.m1555.l2649
    Currently wearing: Oudh Al Masarat by Amouage

I'm wearing Incense Royale today... this stuff is very strong, only a drop needed! This is a frankincense and myrrh fragrance with lots going on. There is some resemblance to Amouage Interlude Man but without the weird oregano note. On opening there are fresh, warm spicy, sweet and balsamic/resin notes. In particular I can smell some citrus and sweet orange, vetiver, vanilla, camphor, oud, benzoin, frankincense, myrrh. SP said there are about 30 types of resins and two oud oils in the blend. The oud isn't prominent but adds depth, the resins and warm spices are most prominent with the vanilla sweetening things up. I'm trying to put my finger on the fresh notes but failing, there is something in there that has this fresh "blue/purple" scent... maybe lavender? The composition is well balanced and well blended, the overall impression is warm sweet incense but it's not too "churchy", like Amouage's Interlude the prominent incense is modified enough by other notes that it doesn't come off that way. The drydown is long and lingering and smells mostly of sweet resins with the other notes more subdued. If you're a fan of incense fragrances this is an exceptionally good one.

Wow Dorje123! That's a really in depth review of Incense Royale! :-D thank you so much for the kind compliments! Incense Royale is very close to my heart as was my very fist composition.
    The fresh citric notes is emanating from the mixture of Peruvian Black copal, Philipino Elemi and Omani Royal grade green Hojari Frankincense. The blue-purple floral notes is coming from the aged Cambodi which smells very much like dried fruits on initial application but as a result of the three above creates almost a purple floral accord. Would you believe absolutely no florals or citrus oils were used to compose IR :-D

Sounds like I have some new fragrances to sample. All of them sound really nice, especially Incense Royale. Thanks for the descriptions!
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by sultanpasha View Post
    Wow Dorje123! That's a really in depth review of Incense Royale! :-D thank you so much for the kind compliments! Incense Royale is very close to my heart as was my very fist composition.
    The fresh citric notes is emanating from the mixture of Peruvian Black copal, Philipino Elemi and Omani Royal grade green Hojari Frankincense. The blue-purple floral notes is coming from the aged Cambodi which smells very much like dried fruits on initial application but as a result of the three above creates almost a purple floral accord. Would you believe absolutely no florals or citrus oils were used to compose IR :-D
    As a perfumer it must be interesting to hear people try to analyze your creations. Now that you mention it I can recognize the Cambodi oud, I have a little bit of Crassna oud oil that fits that description. I was thinking lavender was making a sort of fresh fougere accord but it didn't quite fit... interesting that kind of an accord can be made with resins and oud! The cool thing is it lasts the life of the fragrance unlike most short lived fresh topnotes. Same with Ambre du Soleil, the lemon from the frankincense lasts forever.

The oils I've wrote about so far are relatively affordable, actually a great deal if you catch one you're interested in on ebay... SP has a few pricey, exotic blends I'll write about soon...

Anything upcoming in the works Akhi?
    Last edited by Orgoglio italianO; 23rd May 2015 at 08:06 AM.
    Currently wearing: Type by Monotheme

Incense Royale amongst others of Sultans are wonderfully blended. It's hard to pick a favorite as all are great to me. Incense Royale is a great oil with high quality ingredients. I have not tried an oil that was low quality or that I did not like! So far 5 thumbs up! Aurum D'Angkhor is the latest one I've tried,man... Good stuff I highly recommend everyone try this oil! Bravo,Sultan

I've bought quite a few of SP's blends over the past 6 months; 3ml each of Jardin de Minuit, Enigma Intense, Cuir au Miel, Incense Royale, Ocean of Flowers and Ambre du Soliel and 12ml of Sambac Regale - it is that good! I've also received a lot of samples too that were shipped with these blends. All are very diverse and I've been very satisfied with them all.

One of my favourite scents at the moment is Jardin de Minuit (JdM), which is very airy yet dark fragrance. For a unisex fragrance, I was originally concerned that this fragrance was maybe a little too feminine - I had originally bought this for my wife. However, I find that this scent very addictive and have worn this myself and received positive comments. The way the rose and tuberose interects with the jasmine, cedarwood and oakmoss is intoxicating. The different stages that eminates from this wonderful fragrance begins with the spicey enticement on the outskirts of a forest which draws you in. Then begins a journey, deeper and deeper into an enchanted forest, racing to the centre before the dawn. Amazing.

I'll try and put into words my impressions of others as and when I can find the time to put them together. Having started with JdM, this should hopefully motivate him into making some more as he's not had any more on sale for quite some time now .... I guess he's ran out.

Ocean of flowers also I enjoyed. It's floral obviously lol but I still wear it I think it's unisex. One of my wife's favorites and she doesn't like much. But she does love most of sultans oils,which is good for me

Cuir au Miel (CaM) starts out in honey and leather heaven, which is strongly emphasised by the blossom top notes. The way the honey interacts with the osmanthus and the oud is mouth watering. About four hours in, the patchouli starts to surface, where the scent begins to transcend into a fresh outdoors type smell. Thinking of the smell of motorbike leathers that have previously been waxed and then taken for a long bike ride - the type of outdoor smell that clings. This is a really nice dimensional addition and an extra special touch to an already very special scent. There are times when I thought that I could really eat this.

I unknowingly made a purchase from Sultan on eBay and upon revealing my Basenotes identity to him, he generously sent along some samples plus a free 3ml decant of Shamamah. Terrific guy, wonderful to converse with.

My sample of La Fougre had leaked into the paraffin wrapping (the only leaked vial), so I naturally made this my first choice of application. Really terrific fougere! I'm fully in agreement with Dorje123's assessment. This is a real niche contender, and frankly I think could be easily produced for retail and receive accolades from top perfume reviewers. The spearmint note is wonderful. It gives a minty impression with slight methol freshness, but avoids anything cloying or synthetic smelling. And a wonderful bounty of oakmoss to boot.

The Shamamah (65% natural grade) is so strong a rendition of Indian paan for me, the fresh hand made kind rolled in the tobacco leaf. Also reminiscent of natural spice mixes often found in Indian homes and restaurants. That semi sweet rose essence that seems to garnish everything. I'm now very curious to see how the 99% natural version performs.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Another fragrance that I had bought for my wife is the Ocean of Flowers (OoF). The rose and jasmine combo intertwined with the tuberose is expertly crafted. Initially, I was worried that this was going to be something that like a cheap fragranced soap - so overpowering that it's usually placed in a public lavatory. How pleasantly wrong I was. On the contrary, the jasmine is top notch and really projects very well. After a few hours, the patchouli brings a very pleasant dimension, like the CaM. From the entrance of the first notes of a spring dawn, the crescendo to a full noon bloom, to the diminuendo of a late summer evening, this fragrance has it all.

Yesterday I wore Aurum d'Angkhor. This seems to be an old Arabic fragrance that shares a lot of the elements I've noticed in a few others of the galiyah genre but is a bit brighter and more floral with less ambergris and more oud. Aurum is primarily oud, saffron, rose, musk and ambergris to my nose. The oud is Ensar's Ensense d'Angkhor, the florals are bright and juicy with an indolic edge, and the musk is sweet and pervasive, boosting the potency of the fragrance along with the ambergris. It also smells entirely natural, which it is not, but this attar really has no hint of anything synthetic at all. For what it is, it is very approachable, but this is not anywhere close to a common fragrance in most of the world. It's made with some of the most costly and hard to obtain ingredients and is something to cherish. I didn't get a price but I'd bet the tiny sample I got was worth $10.

I asked SP about this blend and he was kind enough to give me the breakdown:

Top: Saffron Oil, Jasmine, Persian Rose Otto

Middle: Bulgarian Damascena Absolute, Honey Absolute, Henna,

Base: Ensar Encens D'Angkhor, Beeswax, Hand Macerated Ambergris, Hand Made Shamama(aged sandalwood, 30yr old patchouli, henna, labdanum, Siamese benzoin, musk) raw Persian and Spanish Saffron Strands

I tested Incense Royale last night. Wonderfully potent, but not overdone. I definitely pick up on myrrh and frankincense, and a kindred spirit with Amouage Interlude Man. I prefer Incense Royale. Definitely loaded with resins. I didn't pick up on much citrus in this, but definitely some oud, vanilla, and benzoin. There's more going on in this than I can describe. I just don't have the experience to articulate it well. I very much enjoy the slight sweet essence in this, which keeps it from being drier and sharper than many other fragrances of similar composition. It settles down to moderate sillage after some time. I could still smell it at 1" away from skin after 12 hours. This is on my list to purchase at some point.

A brief sampling of Inferno... intriguing.

Hey everyone hope all is well, just wanted to say a quick thank you for all your kind words and support! May God Bless you all!

Thank you again Dorje for yet another amazing gem of a review. :-D
    Aurum D'Angkhor in fact is very close to my heart (all of the oils are really!) as I love The Oud that drives it so much. The Oud was made by fellow artisan Ensar called Encens D'Angkhor and when I first smelt the oil I was transfixed by its sheer complexity and all the different possibilities of working with it. It has got to be one of most favourite oud oils along with the Oud Yunus, Bois De Borneo and Keemasan. When I first smelt Encens I straight away wanted to work with it and infact created 3mls of Aurum D'Angkhor from it, in early autumn 2014 using a very rare Jasmine that I've not seen used in perfumery that often....infact never.
    The Jasmine had all the qualities I was looking for and fitted perfectly in the AD puzzle. That first 3ml of AD was 100% natural and it got sold pretty quickly.
    I proceeded to purchase more of that rare expensive Jasmine to create the current second batch of oil but unfortunately the batch was slightly different to the point where it didn't fit the composition as a whole thus I had to synthetically augment the Jasmine to be able to work with it. Infact the composition as a whole is 95%natural and 5% of it is a schiff base to temper the Jasmine.
    You're certainly right about the expense to create this blend was quite a lot as each material such as the Oud, the two roses, Jasmine, ambergris, sandalwood, musk grains etc, were very carefully selected after thorough evaluation over the months since the first batch. On hindsight one could say I should have waited for a better Jasmine however I only found one reliable and reputable source for it and as its a natural seasonal product the batch variation couldn't be helped as the company only had that single batch for now. God willing in the coming months I will be able to source the Jasmine with the right characteristics again as it truly is a floral gem :-D

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I'm wearing Incense Royale today... this stuff is very strong, only a drop needed! This is a frankincense and myrrh fragrance with lots going on. There is some resemblance to Amouage Interlude Man but without the weird oregano note. On opening there are fresh, warm spicy, sweet and balsamic/resin notes. In particular I can smell some citrus and sweet orange, vetiver, vanilla, camphor, oud, benzoin, frankincense, myrrh. SP said there are about 30 types of resins and two oud oils in the blend. The oud isn't prominent but adds depth, the resins and warm spices are most prominent with the vanilla sweetening things up. I'm trying to put my finger on the fresh notes but failing, there is something in there that has this fresh "blue/purple" scent... maybe lavender? The composition is well balanced and well blended, the overall impression is warm sweet incense but it's not too "churchy", like Amouage's Interlude the prominent incense is modified enough by other notes that it doesn't come off that way. The drydown is long and lingering and smells mostly of sweet resins with the other notes more subdued. If you're a fan of incense fragrances this is an exceptionally good one.
    incense royale is my favorite one by pasha. Though i would like it to be a bit stronger. But his oils are amazing. Inferno stayed on me for two days!
    Arabian Scent - Arabic perfume oils & attars
    https://www.arabianscent.nl

Sambac Regale (SR) is a very special fragrance indeed. It conjures musings of what fragrances would have been like in the late 19th / early 20th century, imagining a social setting with the air full of the finest scents made from the finest raw materials. The opening of SR is like stepping outside on a midsummer’s evening greeted by wafting sweetness of a jasmine lined pathway. Walking through night across the fields, the smell of hay and tuberose intensifies. The sandalwood adds warmth that is smooth and reassuring. This is a very long lasting scent that should easily last all the way until the dawn.

From the sample that was sent to me and learning how exclusive this fragrance is, I went all out and bought a tola - I was not disappointed! While this is one of the more costlier offerings from Sultan Pasha, it is certainly one of the best. If I had the cash available I would buy another tola....just in case.

I wore Incense Royale over the weekend.

I find it nicely balanced. It is potent, but not screaming mad. I find the myrrh has more presence than the frankincense, accompanied by other notes. I also find some similarity to Amouage Interlude Man, but in my book it is superior. The opening is definitely bright, not dark and brooding. A warm sweet resin focused attar with some spices, definitely oud (it's a potent one), maybe benzoin, amber, and some other resins, accompanied by vanilla, some citrus, and other notes. To my nose it is mostly resins and oud, wonderfully blended.

You can tell it has an oud of the potent kind (i.e. fecal) but it is subdued enough to keep the show neat. Maybe a little too neat... it does tone down quite a bit over time (I'd rather pick up more oud in this). I also find that there's a smoky essence. Muted, but there.

In my experience, incense ouds have a tendency to be dry, sharp, ashen, and heavy on the frankincense. Incense Royale goes in the other direction, being much more mellow. The dry down is semi-sweet (without being gourmand), never dry or harsh.

I'm really enjoying this one and must wear it a few more times to see if my perception remains the same. Excellent composition, Pasha!
    Last edited by cytherian; 8th June 2015 at 09:44 PM.

NSR, I have a sample of Sambac Regale, will have to try that one soon... also tried a small amount of Nectare, I really like this one. I'll be back with a review soon!

Nice review cytherian, Incense Royal would be a must-have if I wore incense fragrances. I like smelling them, just not on me, so I will sample them at home from time to time. If you like Frankincense Ambre du Soleil is amazing, this is something I will wear frequently.

Hey Guys God bless you all again for your reviews and kind comments!
    Just wanted to say that one of the beauties of my compositions are that they are all semi-bespoke so I may tweak them to ones preferences and tastes, so for example the lovely animalic Bengali Oud in the Icense Royale could certainly be tuned up for you Cyntherian at no extra cost and like wise for any other ingredients.....however within reason so as not to unbalance the composition :-P
    Last edited by sultanpasha; 9th June 2015 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sultanpasha View Post
    Hey Guys God bless you all again for your reviews and kind comments!
    Just wanted to say that one of the beauties of my compositions are that they are all semi-bespoke so I may tweak them to ones preferences and tastes, so for example the lovely animalic Bengali Oud in the Icense Royale could certainly be tuned up for you Cyntherian at no extra cost and like wise for any other ingredients.....however within reason so as not to unbalance the composition :-P
    You're quite welcome, Sultan.

This evening I sampled the Bengali Oud (straight up). About 3~4 dip-n-swipes with a tear shaped head pin and I could really get a good impression of it. Definitely animalic. A kind of spicy cheese, like a roasted Asiago. Animalic quality slowly starts to soften over time. My application was quite small (for fear of over-applying) so that I'd pick up only an occasion waft from a distance, but definitely got a potent smell of it about 2~3" away from the application site on my hand. I have a feeling this one would last a good solid day with a normal wearing..
    Last edited by cytherian; 9th June 2015 at 03:03 PM.

Now, based on this I really need to get some samples

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

I tried some Sambac Regale today after reading NSR's review. This is really nice, obviously a Jasmine soliflore but with some augmentation... I smell a tiny bit of vetiver and even less patchouli, other white indolic florals, NSR mentioned tuberose and I would agree. It also seems like the spiciness of the Jasmine has been augmented with some other spices. Altogether the other ingredients just add to the Jasmine in a way they could easily be part of the Jasmine smell. Altogether excellent if you like Jasmine!

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast