Code of Conduct
o

Default Paris exclusive fragrances-- where and what?

Hi ya'll. I have a trip to France in September so I want to basically prepare myself (and my wallet) on what exclusives I should buy without wasting too much of my day to go around smelling things, as this will be my first time in Europe and my girlfriend has zero interest in fragrances.

So far on my list would be MFK Ciel de Gum and Serge Lutens Bell Jars (Kublai Khan, Chene). What are some note worthy exclusives I should get my grubby hands on?
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Default Re: Paris exclusive fragrances-- where and what?

The Lutens store is in the Palais Royal courtyard next to the Louvre museum, so it shouldn't be much of a detour to go there. (My favorite exclusive is Sarrasins).

If you want to drop Eur 500, you can check JAR perfumes in rue de Castiglione (things like Bolt of lightning or, since you seem to like musks, Ferme tes yeux). In general, the area of rue de Castiglione/Place Vendome (not far from the Louvre) has very many perfumeries, from Guerlain to Goutal, Costes, MFK, and so on.

If your fiancee is interested in face creams and makeup, you can also go to one of the big dept stores like Printemps or Lafayette, and you shop for perfumes while she shops for makeup. They don't have exclusives, but they have many niche or mainstream that's hard to find stateside. Same for the supermarket Sephora and Marionnaud on the Champs Elysees (which are also open late at night or during the weekends).

By the way, enjoy your trip!

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Chamade Homme from Guerlain. Can't get it in the US.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Dear Antagonist,

Perhaps Habit Rouge Extrait at the Guerlain Paris flagship store as I was told.
    However, If you can get 1000ml of Habit Rouge Extrait and host the splits, I am eternally grateful . Hahaha.

Have fun in France!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    If your fiancee is interested in face creams and makeup, you can also go to one of the big dept stores like Printemps or Lafayette, and you shop for perfumes while she shops for makeup. They don't have exclusives, but they have many niche or mainstream that's hard to find stateside. Same for the supermarket Sephora and Marionnaud on the Champs Elysees (which are also open late at night or during the weekends).
    She is not, aside from eyeliner, she's not crazy about make up. Might just do a whirlwind walkabout the area on the first day of our arrival and get my colognes over it. lol (I'll definitely check Sarrasins out!)

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Chamade Homme from Guerlain. Can't get it in the US.
    Hednic, according to fragrantica, Chamade shares similarities with coriolan, I've already got a 1999 bottle of it. Think I'll need it?

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Dear Antagonist,

Perhaps Habit Rouge Extrait at the Guerlain Paris flagship store as I was told.
    However, If you can get 1000ml of Habit Rouge Extrait and host the splits, I am eternally grateful . Hahaha.

Have fun in France!
    Haha, unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of Habit Rouge.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntagonist View Post
    Hednic, according to fragrantica, Chamade shares similarities with coriolan, I've already got a 1999 bottle of it. Think I'll need it?
    I have both and they are very different to me. If you go to Guerlain, try it out and judge for yourself. I'll be in Paris too but earlier than you. You'll have a great time for sure!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The Lutens store is in the Palais Royal courtyard next to the Louvre museum
    Second this recommendation, the place is wondrous.

As I understand, Roger & Gallet has seized operations in the US – not exactly exclusive, but their Boutique du Bonheur at 195 Rue Saint-Honoré is very nice and cosy, and you might want to give Kurkdjian's Fleur de Figuier a sniff. (Nice soaps and whatnot for the Missus, too.)

Jovoy, 4 rue de Castiglione, for their own line of extraits – I found L'Art de la Guerre really interesting, and Liturgie des Heures if you like incense.
    EDIT: Annnd, I just learned in another thread they're now available in the US. I'll leave it here anyway, it's a nice boutique nevertheless.
    They also carry Parfum D'Orsay – again, not the pinnacle of haute perfumerie, but some very nice quintessentially french perfumes that are not the run of the mill.

Nose, 20 rue Bachaumont, for a whiff of the famed l'Air de Panache.

And, of course, the already mentioned Guerlain exclusives, etc.

Have a nice trip!
    Last edited by noitsnotme; 28th May 2015 at 12:57 PM.

Have a nice trip and don't spent your entire holidays looking for perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Have a nice trip and don't spent your entire holidays looking for perfumes
    Sound advice. As my girlfriend rolls her eyes and groans when I drag her in any fragrance stores to begin with.

You fools ! are forgetting the IUNX perfumes
    Very near from rue de castiglione, they can be found at the Costes Hotel 239 rue St Honoré.
    And only here in the entire world.
    Trust me, they are worth the visit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaricia_ View Post
    You fools ! are forgetting the IUNX perfumes
    Very near from rue de castiglione, they can be found at the Costes Hotel 239 rue St Honoré.
    And only here in the entire world.
    Trust me, they are worth the visit.
    Have noted that for my July visit. Thank you.

Worth stopping by, as aaricia was saying, it's around the corner from the rue castiglione perfume hub. I still prefer Lutens, JAR, Jovoy etc, but L'eau baptiste is fun, smells like cereals. L'ether is a light incense.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by noitsnotme View Post
    but their Boutique du Bonheur at 195 Rue Saint-Honoré is very nice and cosy
    Always make an effort to go there when I'm in Paris.

for your information, Jovoy's "l'enfant terrible" will soon be discontinued.
    there is a perfumer's contest on going to replace it (see on their facebook page).

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaricia_ View Post
    for your information, Jovoy's "l'enfant terrible" will soon be discontinued.
    Glad I have a full bottle of this then! Thanks for the update.