Code of Conduct

Default Chanel no 5 question

Hello, I posted this earlier but the thread didn't go through don't know why, I just read an article where they stated that 12 may roses from the chanel plantations go into every bottle of no 5 but the parfum ONLY. So if that is so, what goes inside every bottle of the other concentrations?

Default Re: Chanel no 5 question

Welcome!
    Brands don't disclose the exact compositions of their perfumes. It could be that they are using roses from other countries, or lower percentages of natural ingredients. Chanel has always made a point of their Grasse plantations for jasmine and roses, which allowed them to control the quality of these ingredients. But essences from different places can be just as good.

In general, you'll find many discussions here about the difference between various concentrations of No 5. It's not a matter of concentration only, the formula is slightly tweaked. The edt is lighter, the edp is heavier and warmer, and the parfum is probably the crispest.

cacio

Yes I know but they especifically said all of the roses from grasse go into the parfum, some into no 19 the parfum too and I assume that all the plantations of iris go into the parfum too. Chanel is the only perfume maker in the world that has plantations of their own, and they said it goes exclusively on the parfum, so what goes on the others?

I would imagine a cheaper rose oil...

This is a unique case because there are markedly different formulas for each concentration of No. 5, and Chanel willfully discloses this, so to up to marketing on the parfum, they make claims about rose de mai.
    Currently wearing: Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Well what can happen is, the parfum gets the first distillation so the most pure. Then they distill down for each so weak essence for the others, say edp gets the next and finally the edt.

Okay I actually got the idea from Elemis UK beauty brand which uses pure escentual oils in many of their products. They state they only use the first distillation of the pure oils which is higher in benefits and better, whilst many other brands use a weaker or lower distillation for their products. So I cannot see Chanel just throwing out the brew after one distillation for the parfum
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Well what can happen is, the parfum gets the first distillation so the most pure. Then they distill down for each so weak essence for the others, say edp gets the next and finally the edt.

Okay I actually got the idea from Elemis UK beauty brand which uses pure escentual oils in many of their products. They state they only use the first distillation of the pure oils which is higher in benefits and better, whilst many other brands use a weaker or lower distillation for their products. So I cannot see Chanel just throwing out the brew after one distillation for the parfum
    The roses grown here in Grasse are reserved almost exclusively for use in Chanel No.5 Parfum – some also go into No.19. The statistics are quite something. One picker harvests 1kg of roses – 350 flowers – every 12 minutes and these are used to make 2.5g of "concrete," which is transformed into 1.5g of precious liquid "absolute". If this is baffling then it’s easier to absorb the information that the ghosts of 12 May roses make their way into every bottle of No.5 Parfum. Only the parfum, mind.
    That's the quote from the article, I apparently can't post the link but it's called the making of chanel no. 5 from the telegraph uk.

So none of the grasse crops of rose and jasmine go into any of the other products, it only goes on the no 5 parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by humannature View Post
    That's the quote from the article, I apparently can't post the link but it's called the making of chanel no. 5 from the telegraph uk.

So none of the grasse crops of rose and jasmine go into any of the other products, it only goes on the no 5 parfum.
    Hmm it's probably not allowing new users to post url's - send it on to me and I can update your post with it, seen as it is quite relevant to the thread.

EDIT: here's the link:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/wo...5-perfume.html
    Last edited by rum; 2nd June 2015 at 10:17 AM.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed