Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that unlock past memories

Today I saw at the corner of my closet, a sad and lonely looking Lanvin Arpege PH. Haven't used that for a long time so I sprayed some on me and suddenly I time-travel back to 2007, Bratislava, Slovakia. Memories of me and my wife walking through the streets taking videos, having a good laugh, beautiful city, wonderful holiday for both of us, the memories are so strong, it almost felt as if I was there.

So I went and stood close to my wife in the kitchen and she smiled and said, Slovakia.

Scents are very powerful in unlocking forgotten memories and emotions, have you experienced the same? Do share stories of fragrances that transport you back to forgotten times and places.

Default Re: Fragrances that unlock past memories

Yes.

But unlikely to happen in future, since what I wear changes daily.

One needs to commit to a fragrance or have a rotation of 3 at most to form such associations.
    Album of the week: 'Disraeli Gears' - Cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQ4Pyyq_Zg
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

I have a few fragrances that I connect very very closely to specific experiences. Tom of Finland reminds me of last fall. I wore a ton of it around then and I remember doing fun things with my s/o. I wore Memoir man for the first time on a vacation I was on and now I always associate it with that trip.

Most prominently when I was 9 or 10 I went on a cruise ship and my parents gave me 50 dollars of spending money that was meant to last the whole cruise. I just kind of wandered around listening to my walkman for the first two days but eventually I discovered the fragrance shop, and for some reason became obsessed with sampling everything. I befriended the sales associate (I guess I was a very sociable young one, nowadays I can't stand most pushy SA's haha ) and eventually I found boss bottled (no 6 at the time). I fell in love with it and bought a 1.7, using up all of my money in one day. The whole trip I was sniffing the bottle and spraying it around the tiny cabin. Now, over ten years later, every single time I smell Boss Bottled I'm a kid again, on the cruise, running around with my walkman and smelling damn good for a ten year old.

Pretty much any fragrance in my current selection including the test list is, in one way or another, connected to various memories and perhaps this is also one of the reasons why I chose some of them in the first place
    Currently wearing: Worth pour Homme by Worth

Balafre always brings back memories of my wedding day.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Acqua di Palma Colonia brings back some amazing memories from a few years ago.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

Cool Water brings back some great college memories.

Blog Entries

Davidoff's Coolwater brings back a plethora of fond memories: I'm going to pick up my very first serious GF at a bar/restaurant as she's just gotten off from work at the investment bank she's interning at; I can still remember the scent of her freshly washed hair. It's one of the mystical elements of a fragrance and one of the beauties of this hobby. So many to list, but the memories we're making now will forever be etched with our current favorites I would surmise. First love of my life
    Last edited by Paul H; 15th June 2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: paradigm shift
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Jovan Musk / White Musk....every time I wears them, they brings me the memory of some golden teen-age days. very very special feelings and emotions are attached with these two classy items. An obvious love and continuous attachment with them as they are the part of my first love in my life

Chanel №5 pure parfum always reminds me of my grandmother, and how infrequently she wore it(weddings, Christmas & Easter), and where it was purchased(WT Grant).
    Chloe by Lagerfeld reminds me of my mother and, Old Spice of my father.
    Pour Monsieur conjures up memories of a whirlwind tour of Australia I took in 2002.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

PdN Sacrebleu - something abt it reminds me of the scent of carpet deodorizer back in my university dorm. Made me feel nostalgic.

Old Spice reminds me of hanging out with my pops back in the days.

With me it's Aramis. I put it on, and I'm transported back to my early twenties again. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Duc De Vervins reminds me of my high school drama teacher...
    Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Curve and Drakkar Noir do this to me! Also Fahrenheit slightly, since I never owned it when I was young...but remember smelling it a time or two
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
    -Hebrews 11:1

Davidoff Cool Water reminds me of my father, who used to wear this as an aftershave when I was younger.

Of course!!!

Here:

Macassar, when I was a college student in the USA - bought it right before I left there;

Bel Ami, when I got married - it was the one I wore;

Equipage, when Father came from overseas with presents - samples of it were given on flights he took;

Lanvin Homme, when I was 18;

Egöiste, when I was a young professional - bought it in the DF Shop on my first business trip;

Shalimar, when at my Grandma's house - Guerlain had a factory in BA and Grandpa had a friend there so Grandma had Shalimar for free (!!!);

James Smart Ambre, my Father - it has been his signature scent since his boyhood (he is 85);

N* 19 plus whisky, formal dinner at my parent's - I assume greens came into fashion during the 1970s? And friends had whisky and soda;

Signor Ricci 1, when I was 14 - present from Dad:

YSL, when I was 16 and was told by a friend of my Mother that I was a handsome young boy looking like a Spanish hidalgo - I was wearing YSL pH at that time;

Opium and Magie Noire, my Mother - she is not too scent conscious but orientals are great in her (my wife does not like them. Guess that is alright when it comes to Freud & Co.).

On some occasions memories are weird: Carven Homme triggered the feeling I had while strolling down a street decades (yes, decades) ago. And Bvlgari Black brought feelings I had during a funeral - don't know which, really.

So far it did not happen to me rejecting a perfume because of negative associations towards a person who used it as his/her signature scent.

I assume my "fumeheadedness" is somehow family related.
    Last edited by Pollux; 15th June 2015 at 10:54 PM.

Tonka by Amway is what my father used to wear. It was very rich and luxurious smelling!

I remember wearing Fahrenheit & Cool Water during my high school and college years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Claiborne Sport does it for me. I wrote about it here.
    Current Top Picks:

Dolce & Gabbana PH (Italy)
    Aoud Legacy
    Virgin Island Water
    Grey Vetiver
    Cedrat Enivrant
    Vetiver Fatal
    YSL L'Homme
    Lacoste Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

Emeraude. My mother wore this throughout the early Sixties.
    Adorn Hair Spray. The same.
    Rive Gauche 70's. High School Girlfriend's Signature.
    Givenchy Gentleman My Gray Flannel 3 piece for Grad.
    Jovan Grass Oil and Kanon. Trip sailing through the Caribbean. Eighties.
    Chanel 5. My wife in the early 90's.
    Scads of others, but those are definitley the high points.
    Currently wearing: Thirty-three by Ex Idolo

My father wore Guerlain Vetiver nearly every day of his life, even though we gifted him many other fragrances throughout my childhood, he hardly ever deviated from that scent. He must of went through 20 bottles in his lifetime. After he passed away several years ago my mother gave me the remaining bottle. I have since purchased my own bottle and wear it frequently and am constantly reminded of what a great father I had. l still have his last bottle, with about 10ml remaining, which I intend never to use. Just to smell from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

YSL, when I was 16 and was told by a friend of my Mother that I was a handsome young boy looking like a Spanish hidalgo - I was wearing YSL pH at that time;

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Let me count the ways:

Angel reminds me of a good friend of ours that was a home decorator.
    Guerlain Vetiver reminds me of a foreign exchange student.
    Cool Water and B*Men bring back dreadful memories of college days gone wrong.
    M7 and CdG 2 MAN bring back memories of rebuilding my life from those days.
    Straight to Heaven brings back memories of a wonderful trip to Southern California (and one where I met Kilian himself, to boot).
    PdN New York brings back memories of a wonderful trip to Paris.
    Back to Black brings back memories of a store that I visited as a child.
    L'Humaniste brings back memories of how I succeeded in a tough summer psychology class.
    Aventus brings back memories of a trip to Minneapolis.
    Musk Oud brings back memories of a cold, windy trip to Cedar Point where I still had major fun against all odds.
    Leather Oud makes me think of one of my friends, as it is his favorite scent on me.
    Intoxicated brings back memories of finally getting my bachelor's degree - it was my fragrance graduation present.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018
    Currently wearing: Intoxicated by By Kilian

Davidoff by Davidoff, a teen age kid trying to smell sexy!
    sailing the Oceans of Boredom...

Hugo Boss Hugo Dark Blue - reminds me of high school clubbings and datings a lot.
    Gucci Envy for men - makes an emotional impact, albeit I've never encountered it until 2010.
    Boss Bottled - classic that really triggers something wether one likes it or not.
    Givenchy Very Irresistible for men -an interesting period of my life
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge - has this certain something smouldering, elusive
    Currently wearing: Brit for Men by Burberry

Clinique Happy For Men always transports me back to November 2001, my first trip to London, spending time with my first love. It was a loving and extremely sexy scent on him which I loved to smell whenever we were close. It's amazing how scents are tied to memories from years past.
    "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." - Mademoiselle Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Yes.

But unlikely to happen in future, since what I wear changes daily.

One needs to commit to a fragrance or have a rotation of 3 at most to form such associations.
    I must admit, this is the one big downside of the hobby, as it exists for me. The memory associations that I have from pre-hobby days, much as the OP described when I would wear one or two scents exclusively for a period, are priceless to me.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed