Code of Conduct

Default Quick crude naive fragrance impressions from sampling today (incl. Aventus and Colonia Ambra!). :)

Alright, out of all of these scents, I only *purposely* sprayed two on my skin... as for how much 'accidentally' got on my skin.. I don't even know.

*Do not start reading the impressions expecting note breakdowns*

Take these impressions with a grain of salt, think of them as crude and naive (). I smelled quite a bit of frags within around an hour time period (with the card things I sprayed on at least, I only brought one of them with me out of the store). Also, you can think of these impressions (largely?) as if they're for the initial part of the frag including top note(s), if applicable.

Please note: I'm not necessarily speaking in absolutes, and my impressions may be 'off' however much as well. 1. I'm not great at identifying notes. 2. I smelled quite a bit of frags. 3. Like.. if I wasn't clear in what I wanted to say (whether in part or whole), then I may have picked something that seemed similar/familiar to me to relate the smell(s) to.

Okay, so:

-Dior Homme Eau for Men - Like a lighter Dior Homme?
    -MFK Aqua Vitae - Generic clean smell?
    -MFK Oud - Smelled like A*Men to me.
    -MFK Oud Silk Mood - It smelled like a typical familiar smell to me (in regards to frags probably. Maybe like a light oud type of smell? I'm not sure).
    -MFK Oud Satin Mood - Berry candy-ish smell? I liked it. This might be the one that right after spraying it smelled similar to cotton candy or some kind of candy take on cotton candy.
    -MFK Masculin Pluriel - Smells good. Familiar. Like a washed hair/shampoo smell/vibe.
    -Creed Vetiver Geranium - Gave me a kind of Cartier Roadster vibe.
    -Creed Cedre Blanc - Bright. Smelled similar. Citrusy.
    -Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine - Very orangey, like a smoother more realistic Aqva Amara.
    -Tom Ford Oud Wood - Oud in background. Light(ish) smell.
    -Tom Ford Tobacco Oud - Light syrup-ish *wood* smell. Wood as in.. like.. a furniture wood smell.
    -Tom Ford Plum Japonais - Plumy, and an almost spicy smell?
    -Tom Ford Fleur de Portofino - Slight citrus, smelled similar?
    -Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EdP - This one may have surprised me in that it smelled different than I was expecting. I was maybe expecting like a Original Vetiver/Mugler Cologne perhaps type of smell. But, this one to me, didn't smell that 'bright', and I actually did notice a vetiver smell.
    -Tom Ford Black Orchid - Like a not quite minty smell and a not quite anise/black licorice (liquorice?) smell?
    -Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP - Light-ish, almost citric smell. Lighter iris than Dior Homme?
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi - Good. Slightly green.
    -Creed Spice and Wood - Okay, I may have liked it, but it did have a carrot(ish) smell to me..
    -Creed Sublime Vanille - Like a sweet/citrus scent. Good. Reminded me of an orange creamsicle.
    -Creed Fantasia de Fleurs - Good. Berry kind of smell. It reminded me of some kind of berry gum or something. Brought to mind a rolled up type of gum.
    -Creed Vanisia - Some kind of spice smell. Semi-sweet. Not bad.
    -Robert Piguet Oud - Thick. Similar. Like a .. harsh(ish) not refined oud smell?
    -Profumi del Forte By Night Black - Light-ish, clean, kind of generic?
    -Chanel No. 5 EdP - Like soap.
    -VC&A Cologne Noire - Familiar smell. Good.
    -VC&A Bois d'Iris - Balmy? Not bad.
    -VC&A Orchidée Vanille - Sweet, but not really sweet? Invokes a raw smell/'visual'. I'm not sure if it seemed like I was smelling raw unadulterated vanilla in the scent.
    -Lumière Noire pour Homme - Now this one... had trouble even trying to describe it. Like, what do I even say? It kind of smelled like some kind of soap, but also not like soap? I'm not even sure how to describe it... I can do NON-descriptions for it.. it didn't come off as sweet or citrusy or green.

These last two are ones that I sprayed on paper things and purposely on my skin.

-Acqua di Parma Colonia Ambra - Right off the bat it smelled pretty much like Colonia Oud. However, shortly after or something it seemed to smell basically like Colonia Oud... but without the um.. screechy-ness of the oud(?) smell from Colonia Oud. I'm not sure if Colonia Oud is like this as well, but a while later with Colonia Ambra, I started to notice a musky/thickness kind of smell, and perhaps a bit later I started to notice a smell that smelled almost like leather and also like a rubber smell. Try to think of a leather-lite if you will.

-Creed Aventus - Okay so, I own 11Z01 and 13R01 bottles. The one I sprayed today at the store is a newer type. It didn't have the Creed thing on the top of the atomizer head, and it was also a shorter type of atomizer head. Maybe a 2014 batch? It didn't have that 'sheath' thing. So, right after spraying (maybe on skin this time) it was like a 'Holy crap... what did they do to Aventus? It seriously does seem like some kind of fruity smell.' It surprised me how different it smelled to me. However! After a while, it started smelling more familiar and within not that long (~10-30 mins) smelled as Aventus to me or very much-so. Honestly, if I hadn't read anything about the 2014/2015 batch variation stuff and stopped reading when it was about 2013 batches at the latest, then perhaps other than the very beginning smell, I would have not even questioned if it's been reformulated. Except, it may not smell AS smokey, but yet it still does (or some other very familiar type of smell with Aventus). Basically... smells the same, or very much-so to me (except for maybe that beginning.. haha).

FYI: I just got off the bed, and I can still smell Aventus from my wrist area where I sprayed it, and I sprayed maybe ~1/2-3/4 of one spray. It's a little bit past 5 AM, and I sprayed it on around 2:50 PM yesterday? Been over 12 hours.

whew.

Thoughts? Any of you care to go more in-depth with some of them?
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 16th June 2015 at 10:06 AM.
    (Formerly Jouho)
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Default Re: Quick crude naive fragrance impressions from sampling today (incl. Aventus and Colonia Ambra!).

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    I agree on these two.

Default Re: Quick crude naive fragrance impressions from sampling today (incl. Aventus and Colonia Ambra!).

Thank you for your impressions. Agree on Grey Vetiver, and disagree on Spice and Wood.

You should definitely revisit Black Orchid and Chanel no 5 EdP.
    Album of the week: Piano Trio No. 2 in E Minor - Shostakovich / Vaiman, Rostropovich, Serebryakov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MswMEmmKoA

30 frags in an hour!!!! And your sense of smell is still intact after all of those??? Holy Beejeebuzz I'd be in a coma.
    Last edited by SmellyFinger; 15th June 2015 at 11:24 PM.
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Dior Fahrenheit (2013 & Vintage)

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Vintage)
    D&G The One (Holy Grail Edition)

My Swap Thread: Nice Samples. Looking for a few cheapies..... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407...n-Pure-Leather

Nice to hear the overall impression of Aventus seems to be the same regardless of year of batch.

I'm still on the hunt to see what the older batches may smell like..hopefully soon I'm so hellbent on seeing what this birch / smoky aspect of Aventus is. Damn curiosity!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

How did you not get a buzz from sniffing all that alcohol??
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chanel1 View Post
    I agree on these two.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thank you for your impressions. Agree on Grey Vetiver, and disagree on Spice and Wood.

You should definitely revisit Black Orchid and Chanel no 5 EdP.
    I may end up buying Black Orchid in the future. What are your thoughts on Chanel No. 5 EdP?

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    30 frags in an hour!!!! And your sense of smell is still intact after all of those??? Holy Beejeebuzz I'd be in a coma.
    Well, I did smell coffee beans... not sure if that helped..
    Quote Originally Posted by Venjfel View Post
    Nice to hear the overall impression of Aventus seems to be the same regardless of year of batch.

I'm still on the hunt to see what the older batches may smell like..hopefully soon I'm so hellbent on seeing what this birch / smoky aspect of Aventus is. Damn curiosity!
    You can probably get a sample/small decant for not that much of earlier batches. Have you tried any Facebook groups? The Fragrance Guru Nation, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    How did you not get a buzz from sniffing all that alcohol??
    (Formerly Jouho)

Wow! Thank you for your observations and thoughts on these!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Wow! Thank you for your observations and thoughts on these!
    Thanks, . Is MFK a line you collect? Have you tried the different Oud ones?

Also, I was told by a lady at the store today about an upcoming MFK release. Aqua Vitae Forte. She basically mentioned about it being released in August and it being in store for testing in mid-late July, or something..
    (Formerly Jouho)

Coffee beans, anyone?

Thanks, . Is MFK a line you collect? Have you tried the different Oud ones?
    Yes it is and I happen to own all the ouds including the latest - Satin Mood, all of which I like very much.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Coffee beans, anyone?
    I did smell coffee beans, .

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yes it is and I happen to own all the ouds including the latest - Satin Mood, all of which I like very much.
    Cool, thanks. From my brief 'smellings', I may have liked the regular Oud and Oud Satin Mood the best, even though Oud smelled like/reminded me of A*Men.

I wanted to smell Absolue Pour le Soir, but they didn't have any tester bottles out? :/. From what I've read, it may seem that it was pulled temporarily to be reformulated, and then re-introduced.
    (Formerly Jouho)

Chanel No. 5 edp is a favorite of mine.

Good short reviews on these. Thanks.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Alright, out of all of these scents, I only *purposely* sprayed two on my skin... as for how much 'accidentally' got on my skin.. I don't even know.

*Do not start reading the impressions expecting note breakdowns*

Take these impressions with a grain of salt, think of them as crude and naive (). I smelled quite a bit of frags within around an hour time period (with the card things I sprayed on at least, I only brought one of them with me out of the store). Also, you can think of these impressions (largely?) as if they're for the initial part of the frag including top note(s), if applicable.

Please note: I'm not necessarily speaking in absolutes, and my impressions may be 'off' however much as well. 1. I'm not great at identifying notes. 2. I smelled quite a bit of frags. 3. Like.. if I wasn't clear in what I wanted to say (whether in part or whole), then I may have picked something that seemed similar/familiar to me to relate the smell(s) to.

Okay, so:

-MFK Aqua Vitae - Generic clean smell?
    -MFK Oud - Smelled like A*Men to me.
    -MFK Oud Silk Mood - It smelled like a typical familiar smell to me (in regards to frags probably. Maybe like a light oud type of smell? I'm not sure).
    -MFK Oud Satin Mood - Berry candy-ish smell? I liked it. This might be the one that right after spraying it smelled similar to cotton candy or some kind of candy take on cotton candy.
    -MFK Masculin Pluriel - Smells good. Familiar. Like a washed hair/shampoo smell/vibe.
    -Creed Vetiver Geranium - Gave me a kind of Cartier Roadster vibe.
    -Creed Cedre Blanc - Bright. Smelled similar. Citrusy.
    -Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine - Very orangey, like a smoother more realistic Aqva Amara.
    -Tom Ford Oud Wood - Oud in background. Light(ish) smell.
    -Tom Ford Tobacco Oud - Light syrup-ish *wood* smell. Wood as in.. like.. a furniture wood smell.
    -Tom Ford Plum Japonais - Plumy, and an almost spicy smell?
    -Tom Ford Fleur de Portofino - Slight citrus, smelled similar?
    -Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EdP - This one may have surprised me in that it smelled different than I was expecting. I was maybe expecting like a Original Vetiver/Mugler Cologne perhaps type of smell. But, this one to me, didn't smell that 'bright', and I actually did notice a vetiver smell.
    -Tom Ford Black Orchid - Like a not quite minty smell and a not quite anise/black licorice (liquorice?) smell?
    -Prada Infusion d'Iris EdP - Light-ish, almost citric smell. Lighter iris than Dior Homme?
    -Creed Jardin d'Amalfi - Good. Slightly green.
    -Creed Spice and Wood - Okay, I may have liked it, but it did have a carrot(ish) smell to me..
    -Creed Sublime Vanille - Like a sweet/citrus scent. Good. Reminded me of an orange creamsicle.
    -Creed Fantasia de Fleurs - Good. Berry kind of smell. It reminded me of some kind of berry gum or something. Brought to mind a rolled up type of gum.
    -Creed Vanisia - Some kind of spice smell. Semi-sweet. Not bad.
    -Robert Piguet Oud - Thick. Similar. Like a .. harsh(ish) not refined oud smell?
    -Profumi del Forte By Night Black - Light-ish, clean, kind of generic?
    -VC&A Cologne Noire - Familiar smell. Good.
    -VC&A Bois d'Iris - Balmy? Not bad.
    -VC&A Orchidée Vanille - Sweet, but not really sweet? Invokes a raw smell/'visual'. I'm not sure if it seemed like I was smelling raw unadulterated vanilla in the scent.
    -Lumière Noire pour Homme - Now this one... had trouble even trying to describe it. Like, what do I even say? It kind of smelled like some kind of soap, but also not like soap? I'm not even sure how to describe it... I can do NON-descriptions for it.. it didn't come off as sweet or citrusy or green.

These last two are ones that I sprayed on paper things and purposely on my skin.

-Acqua di Parma Colonia Ambra - Right off the bat it smelled pretty much like Colonia Oud. However, shortly after or something it seemed to smell basically like Colonia Oud... but without the um.. screechy-ness of the oud(?) smell from Colonia Oud. I'm not sure if Colonia Oud is like this as well, but a while later with Colonia Ambra, I started to notice a musky/thickness kind of smell, and perhaps a bit later I started to notice a smell that smelled almost like leather and also like a rubber smell. Try to think of a leather-lite if you will.

-Creed Aventus - Okay so, I own 11Z01 and 13R01 bottles. The one I sprayed today at the store is a newer type. It didn't have the Creed thing on the top of the atomizer head, and it was also a shorter type of atomizer head. Maybe a 2014 batch? It didn't have that 'sheath' thing. So, right after spraying (maybe on skin this time) it was like a 'Holy crap... what did they do to Aventus? It seriously does seem like some kind of fruity smell.' It surprised me how different it smelled to me. However! After a while, it started smelling more familiar and within not that long (~10-30 mins) smelled as Aventus to me or very much-so. Honestly, if I hadn't read anything about the 2014/2015 batch variation stuff and stopped reading when it was about 2013 batches at the latest, then perhaps other than the very beginning smell, I would have not even questioned if it's been reformulated. Except, it may not smell AS smokey, but yet it still does (or some other very familiar type of smell with Aventus). Basically... smells the same, or very much-so to me (except for maybe that beginning.. haha).

FYI: I just got off the bed, and I can still smell Aventus from my wrist area where I sprayed it, and I sprayed maybe ~1/2-3/4 of one spray. It's a little bit past 5 AM, and I sprayed it on around 2:50 PM yesterday? Been over 12 hours.

whew.

Thoughts? Any of you care to go more in-depth with some of them?
    How do your 13R01 and 11Z01 compare?

Thanks for your reviews. The new ADP Ambra has become one of my favourites.