Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Important announcement regarding Marketplace, Blogs and News

Hello all

NEW Update here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407841-Plan-C-Not-scrapping-the-Marketplace-but-making-it-better-instead

UPDATED 19th June 2015: Please read this update on the marketplace here

TLDR; version:

• In 2 months the Marketplace will may close down. New posts will no longer be accepted from 18 July 2015.
    • Blogs will close at the end of June.
    • I will no longer be attempting to write ‘fragrance news’ for the front page.

Long Version

When I first made Basenotes 15 years ago, there wasn’t really any other perfume sites on the net. Off the top of my head for perfume information or forums you had:

• Javaslublu (turned into a bookshop)
    • Long Lost Perfume Chat Club, Became Perfume of Life (no longer in operation)
    • Make Up Alley (still going)

So I tried to do everything. Information, News, Forums, as many things as I can think of.

I was 23, single, had no commitments and had endless amounts of energy and enthusiasm.

I’m now 38, tired all the time, no longer single and have 2 children which I look after for half of the week. There are also hundreds of perfume blogs, Facebook groups, and several sites which provide very similar functionality to Basenotes.

I need to scale down Basenotes into something that I can run on my own (with the help of some lovely mods, and Judith doing my emails…). At the moment I’m attempting to do the jobs of about 4 people, and I’m no longer the 23 year old I was when I started — I can’t really do it any more. So I want to scale down, both in terms of things that take up my time for little return, or things that haunt my brain mentally.

Perfume News and Editorial

In an ideal world, I’d love to be able to cover all of the new launches, and things that happen in the perfume world. I’ve attempted to in the past, but if I do so, it takes up all of my morning. If the news or editorial sections brought in enough income to cover me paying someone to so this for me, I would consider it, but it would no where near cover it. People don’t go to Basenotes for news.

New launches will still be announced, but as links to the directory for the more notable ones. Other types of news such as events are covered by the Event section. If something big happens, I will write a news story, but there is no point me spending time writing new product launch pieces when the directory can adequately cover this.

Blogs

The new forums software I am looking at, doesn't include native support for blogs. I will find a way of archiving what we have. Many blog posts would work better as forum posts anyway.

Marketplace

When the site started, it was a bunch of people who mainly all knew each other from the forums. It's a different place now. Some people come here just to sell, and the idea was never about that. It was about offloading one or two things that you didn't like any more.

Since then, the site has grown somewhat, and shipping overseas has become more difficult, and the admin of looking after it is high.

The trouble is, when money becomes involved (or high value items), things don't always go to plan. Although cases where people are genuinely ripped off are rare, I don't want to have the extra responsibility any more.

I'd like to thank everyone who has bought, sold, swapped or split on Basenotes over the last 15 years; and I'd also like to thank all the moderators who looked after the Marketplace (in particular stuigi and before that marlen.)

Members will still be able to maintain wish lists and swap lists in their wardrobe, and nearer the time I will perhaps open a forum where members can post their eBay sales, and provide alternative places to split / swap. I will also do a FAQ shortly if there are questions.
    Last edited by Grant; 19th June 2015 at 11:09 PM.

Default Re: Important announcement regarding Marketplace, Blogs and News

Thanks Grant. Sounds like time you need some time for yourself. Enjoy and get some sleep.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Thanks for all these years Grant, and enjoy some rest with peace of mind.

Warm regards,
    François
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Basenotes Plus

Cool
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Thank you Grant for all the work you have done over the years to make this site a pleasure to frequent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Don't worry about it, Grant - if there is some way for us to help you out, please let us know. I have huge sympathy for your situation. It sounds like the site needs to be better monetized so as to fund a permanent staffer or two who could take some of the load off.

All understandable.
    Thanks, Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Don't worry about it, Grant - if there is some way for us to help you out, please let us know. I have huge sympathy for your situation. It sounds like the site needs to be better monetized so as to fund a permanent staffer or two who could take some of the load off.
    Yes, i understand you and i'm with clairev, if there's something useful we can do, just let us know. I know that being the admin of this huge site must be complicated for a normal person with a job, family, etc... It's a big responsability,
    Thanks for all these years. Let's hope we can have a few years more
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Thanks for all your hard work over the years. You have to put your own and your family's needs first-- we all do.

Thanks a lot for all the work that you've done/continue to do towards the FragComm! We are all heavily indebted to you!

Appreciate the update, Grant. It is a Herculean task for 10 let alone one man. I will miss the splits but I'm pretty sure they could be run equally well off-site.

God bless you, Grant. Sounds like a sensible plan.

Dependent

Thank you so much for all of your hard work!

While I am sad regarding splits being discontinued, I certainly understand!

(((((hugs)))))
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Grant,
    Your hard work has improved my life. Would an Indiegogo or Kickstarter campaign fund an assistant? There might be students of perfume, communications, marketing who are looking for internships and such. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Appreciate the update, Grant. It is a Herculean task for 10 let alone one man. I will miss the splits but I'm pretty sure they could be run equally well off-site.
    Yes, i'm sure we can work something out. But if it's any way of helping basenotes, i prefer that
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simplifying, nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Chanel1 View Post
    Simplifying, nice idea.
    I agree with that.
    The site will probably run faster as well.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Thanks for all your hard work Grant!

Is there no way to get extra mods to save the Marketplace? It will be such a shame to lose it.
    Current Top Picks:

Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb
    Guerlain - Habit Rouge Dress Code
    Dolce & Gabbana - The One EDP
    Hermes- Ambre Narguile
    Parfums de Marly - Herod
    Christian Dior - Fève Délicieuse
    Parfums de Marly - Oajan
    Imaginary Authors - Memoirs of a Trespasser
    Montale - Aoud Leather
    Creed - Aventus

The heart of this site is the forum and reviews; those are better than any of the rivals. Anyone can sell on eBay and the blogs, news and articles are practically ignored. Have a jelly baby.
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

No marketplace of any kind? No selling, swapping, or splits at all? No fragrances wanted or posting of sites running sales/discounts?
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Thank you for all the kind words and jelly babies. Some of your posts make it seem that Basenotes is going away! It's not, and I've got some ideas that have been in my head for about ten years that I'd like to do on Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    It sounds like the site needs to be better monetized so as to fund a permanent staffer or two who could take some of the load off.
    Ideally that would great. I do have a very nice lady (Judith), who does my emails and tend to the directory for a few hours a week, but It would be nice to have some more hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Thanks for all these years. Let's hope we can have a few years more
    I'm not going anywhere. I'm not qualified to do anything else!

Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    Grant,
    Your hard work has improved my life. Would an Indiegogo or Kickstarter campaign fund an assistant? There might be students of perfume, communications, marketing who are looking for internships and such. Just a thought.
    It's a nice idea but Kickstarters etc wouldn't solve the long term problem. The site needs to be sustainable on its own. People can become Basenotes+ members if they want to help, or if they are buying fragrances - do it through the links on the shopping or directory pages as that helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by noFragsleft View Post
    Thanks for all your hard work Grant!

Is there no way to get extra mods to save the Marketplace? It will be such a shame to lose it.
    There could be a million mods looking after the marketplace, but ultimately the responsibility for it would still be mine.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Thank you Grant for your efforts over the years.
    Summer Rotation
    Acqua di Gio Profumo
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Sel Marin
    Castile
    Mugler Cologne
    Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Davidoff by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    No marketplace of any kind? No selling, swapping, or splits at all? No fragrances wanted or posting of sites running sales/discounts?

People can still maintain swap/wishlist in there wardrobes
    Discounts / Offers board would stay;
    Fragrances Wanted could morph into 'Where can I find...?'
    I'm looking into opening a board where people could post their eBay sales but yes, there won't be selling/swap/spilts board as they are currently

This is a huge loss for the community, IMO. Marketplace activity of all kinds brings a fair amount of traffic to Basenotes, I would think.

I don't really understand why the responsibility of overseeing the Marketplace can't be given to someone else, or multiple people for that matter. Instead of just throwing it away, should we not discuss how to possibly save it first? It's time consuming but not rocket science. What about asking for volunteers to oversee it?

Basenotes "needs" a place for this type of activity and discussion. If it's not here, then somewhere else possibly?

What about transferring all Marketplace activity to Crystal Flacon? Could there be informative links to Crystal Flacon for those who come to Basenotes looking for such things?
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Man.....I'll really miss the splits. I found so many htf or can't afford frags through it. On the other hand, I won't spend as much. Thanks for the site grant. I've learned a lot by coming here.

Thumbs up Re: Important announcement regarding Marketplace, Blogs and News

Thanks very very Grant Wish you all the best
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

This is extremely disappointing as the Marketplace was my main reason for creating an account and visiting this site daily.

I don't think telling everyone to switch to ebay is really a good solution; eBay has more fees, is full of junk/spam ads, is harder to find specifics, and all-around much more difficult and "impersonal" to use (if that makes sense). Obviously it is entirely your right to choose what to close, but if there is any way you would reconsider keeping the Marketplace I think it would help the site's future. Have you considered creating a disclaimer/contract telling users that you hold no responsibility, and all problems must be resolved though Paypal? (A successful website called Grailed does this).

Anyway, thank you for the years you have spent doing this Grant; I hope you reconsider removing the Marketplace.

Thanks for all the hard work, Grant. We really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    This is a huge loss for the community, IMO. Marketplace activity of all kinds brings a fair amount of traffic to Basenotes, I would think.

I don't really understand why the responsibility of overseeing the Marketplace can't be given to someone else, or multiple people for that matter. Instead of just throwing it away, should we not discuss how to possibly save it first? It's time consuming but not rocket science. What about asking for volunteers to oversee it?

Basenotes "needs" a place for this type of activity and discussion. If it's not here, then somewhere else possibly?

What about transferring all Marketplace activity to Crystal Flacon? Could there be informative links to Crystal Flacon for those who come to Basenotes looking for such things?
    Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Man.....I'll really miss the splits. I found so many htf or can't afford frags through it. On the other hand, I won't spend as much. Thanks for the site grant. I've learned a lot by coming here.
    I agree. The main Basenotes pages I visit multiple times a day are: Male Fragrance Discussion, Splits, and Discounts. I believe I read Discounts will stay, but it would still be a big loss if the Splits page is no longer around.

I'm wondering if we can have a thread to talk about alternatives? The only ones I can think of are: Crystal Flacon, Facebook groups, and recently I found a splits page at Reddit (/r/fragsplits). I still prefer the Basenotes Split page, but if it's truly going away, I think we should have a thread to talk about other options.

Wow... well, it's perfectly understandable Grant. I'm sorry that you've had to cut back on a lot of time spent for Basenotes, but definitely your personal life takes priority.

I do appreciate that the classifieds section must be moderated... you don't want to give out too much freedom, which attracts the unscrupulous. I do think it would be a great idea to have an eBay listing section, or reference to other markets/sales-venues.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your hard work on the site. Have you looked into getting more moderators on board to help?
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Thanks for all your hard work over the years. You have to put your own and your family's needs first-- we all do.
    +1

-Mark

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk