Code of Conduct

Default Possible future marketplace

Since yesterdays announcement about the closure of the marketplace, I've been doing some investigating.

The main issues with the marketplace are:

• The software isn't appropriate for selling - leading to additional admin for sellers, moderators and admin
    • The issues with people getting ripped off, leads me to have additional unwanted stress.

I've been looking at Panjo, which is a plugin/service for forum owners. It looks like it solves the above problems.

What is it?

• Panjo is dedicated software for selling things, is takes away issues of thread bumping, looking for items, things not being listed as sold, and PM boxes being full.
    • You can have a look at what it looks like here on Badger and Blade
    • One thing that is appealing to me is that Panjo take over all of the admin in terms of sales gone wrong.
    • The system allows for a varied fee structure, so that for example Basenotes Plus members could list for free, and other members could pay a listing and/or selling fee.
    • The system allows for the opportunity to show your sales just on Basenotes or show them to a wider audience.

Things I'm not yet sure about (I've emailed them asking)

• The system appears to have its own feedback mechanism. I don't know if this can be used alongside / converted from iTrader Apparently they can convert these
    • There appears to be no mechanism for doing trades swaps.

Things that would be different

• You can only list one item in a listing, (or list several as a lot). This does mean that you can't just write out a list like you can currently.
    • This would however make it a lot easier to look for items, and as well as that - perhaps integrate the listings within the directory too.
    • There is provision for 'quantity' so the system could be used for splits. (i.e. you could list a 100ml bottle as being 10x10ml decants)

When I hear back from them about trades/swaps and the feedback system, I will let you know.

In the meantime - here are videos about buying and selling on the system

Let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by Grant; 19th June 2015 at 05:40 PM.

Default Re: Possible future marketplace

Grant, this would be a great idea and will allow Basenotes to bring in some revenue. No objections here.

Would splits be able to use this? I am not sure it would work for that aspect. It sounds like a good option for the other aspects though.

Maybe the splits section can remain the way it is, since it seems to be self monitored for the most part, and use Panjo for the other market aspects. That is if splits aren't accommodated via the Panjo software.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroiDad75 View Post
    Would splits be able to use this? I am not sure it would work for that aspect. It sounds like a good option for the other aspects though.

Maybe the splits section can remain the way it is, since it seems to be self monitored for the most part, and use Panjo for the other market aspects. That is if splits aren't accommodated via the Panjo software.
    You can have a 'quantity' of an item, so say if you had a 120ml bottle of Old Spice and you wanted to split it into 10 decants, you could make once listing, say:

Old Spice split. 12ml each

And then in the listing you could state that you have 10 of them to sell.

THANK YOU THANK YOU Grant for looking at other options! I haven't used Panjo before personally, but just from looking at that B&B website, it appears to be exactly what Basenotes needs to continue functioning while still modernizing and relieving duties from admins/yourself. I am 100% for switching to this new system, even if our Feedback needs to be reset to zero (as you said before, the real scammers are few and far between).

Just a few questions:

1. Do you think this could work for Splits? To me it seems like it could, because a person would create a listing such as "Aventus 50ml Split, Slot 1 of 6," and then create 5 other listings for the other slots. Edit: already answered.

2. Does Panjo have the ability to create "sub forums" or "sections" of the marketplace? Or possibly "tags" on each item you list? What I mean is, could I list a fragrance I have for sale, and put the tags <sale>, <split> or <swap>, or would there be a specific section for each of these?

3. I think the idea of having to have a BN plus membership to sell is completely fair. A lot of sites do this, and if the fee stays yearly and reasonable, it would be a great way to keep the site going. Do you know if existing BN Plus memberships would carry over? And also, about how much would a single listing cost without BN Plus?

Finally, thank you again for trying to save the Marketplace. It shows that you really care about this site and its community. Have a nice morning, and I am excited to hear everyone else's thoughts. This seems like the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    THANK YOU THANK YOU Grant for looking at other options! I haven't used Panjo before personally, but just from looking at that B&B website, it appears to be exactly what Basenotes needs to continue functioning while still modernizing and relieving duties from admins/yourself. I am 100% for switching to this new system, even if our Feedback needs to be reset to zero (as you said before, the real scammers are few and far between).

Just a few questions:

1. Do you think this could work for Splits? To me it seems like it could, because a person would create a listing such as "Aventus 50ml Split, Slot 1 of 6," and then create 5 other listings for the other slots.

See reply above

2. Does Panjo have the ability to create "sub forums" or "sections" of the marketplace? Or possibly "tags" on each item you list? What I mean is, could I list a fragrance I have for sale, and put the tags <sale>, <split> or <swap>, or would there be a specific section for each of these?
    It works off of the forums so there would be a for sale forum and a splits forum (not sure about swaps yet -- waiting to hear back). There wouldn't be a limit to how many listing you could have though

3. I think the idea of having to have a BN plus membership to sell is completely fair. A lot of sites do this, and if the fee stays yearly and reasonable, it would be a great way to keep the site going. Do you know if existing BN Plus memberships would carry over? And also, about how much would a single listing cost without BN Plus?
    I'm going to keep it at $30 a year. I don't know how much I would charge for a single listing without Plus, but I would make it cheaper than eBay

Finally, thank you again for trying to save the Marketplace. It shows that you really care about this site and its community. Have a nice morning, and I am excited to hear everyone else's thoughts. This seems like the right choice.
    As I said yesterday, if there was options that solved the problems I was having I would look in to them

Thanks Grant. Would the selling fee apply to splits?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Thanks Grant. Would the selling fee apply to splits?
    No idea as yet. I don't even know if I'm going ahead with this -- just looking to get some feedback on whether it seems worth trying

Basenotes Plus

Grant- If wardrobes of members who met the marketplace requirements contained lists of items for sale or swap, those members could still do so privately. The members could be encouraged to deal there with the usual disclaimers of responsibility and scammers could still be reported to the mods and dealt with accordingly. If the directory was made to show which such members had that item as it did before, members could use that to contact each other as we used to do. I must have made several hundred deals this way. Being able to list only one item would discourage many members from wanting to use that service.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Grant- If wardrobes of members who met the marketplace requirements contained lists of items for sale or swap, those members could still do so privately. The members could be encouraged to deal there with the usual disclaimers of responsibility and scammers could still be reported to the mods and dealt with accordingly. If the directory was made to show which such members had that item as it did before, members could use that to contact each other as we used to do. I must have made several hundred deals this way. Being able to list only one item would discourage many members from wanting to use that service.
    You can list one item on a listing, but you would be able to have more than one listing.

And as for :

If the directory was made to show which such members had that item as it did before, members could use that to contact each other as we used to do. I must have made several hundred deals this way.
    This will be coming back soon!

The sales forum has gotten some criticism for being ineffective. Adding another layer of friction on top of that will make it worse almost guaranteed.

New forum software kills your old feedback scores which many worked hard to obtain I am sure. . Sounds like a great way to destroy the good will of your users.

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    The sales forum has gotten some criticism for being ineffective. Adding another layer of friction on top of that will make it worse almost guaranteed.

New forum software kills your old feedback scores which many worked hard to obtain I am sure. . Sounds like a great way to destroy the good will of your users.
    I've asked the company about feedback scores. I'm waiting to hear back. Even if they do start from 0 (which I hope they don't) members will still have the feedback scores they've accumulated on here for the last 15 years.

If anything this platform is likely to make it more effective to sell as its more attractive and easier to use for buyers

If your new score starts at 0 then how do you retain your old score?

Basenotes Institution JiveHippo's Avatar

If your new score starts at 0 then how do you retain your old score?
    I'm guessing there will be a new feedback system, and while the old one will still exist, it will become latent.
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I'm guessing there will be a new feedback system, and while the old one will still exist, it will become latent.
    Yes, the old system will still exist. Though I'm hoping they have a way of dealing with this

Okay, just checked on their website:

We can import legacy iTrader ratings for sellers.
    So feedbacks won't be starting at 0

I think it's worth a shot. I'm a big fan of the Basenotes marketplace. Any sort of marketplace solution would be an asset to the community.

I'm with neo. It would be a shame to lose the marketplace. I've gotten some great deals there and tbh it's the only place i trust doing any kind transactions whether its buying, swapping or splits.
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 19th June 2015 at 10:01 PM.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    I think he means the old feedback will still be visible but won't function anymore. So if you have lets say 10 feedbacks on your old itrader feedback and you get another one the old one will stay at 10 and the new one will start at 1.. so just add the old & new feedback.. so 11. Piece of cake!
    Though it looks like Panjo can import the feedback, so no one starts at 0. (Unless they have zero at the moment!)

I would prefer to just switch everything as it is currently on Basenotes over to Crystal Flacon.

I see no reason why the marketplace couldn't continue in exactly the same way that we are all familiar with.

The only thing we would need would be a moderator that could keep up with it on a regular basis. We would need to talk to Keith about that.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I would prefer to just switch everything as it is currently on Basenotes over to Crystal Flacon.

I see no reason why the marketplace couldn't continue in exactly the same way that we are all familiar with.

The only thing we would need would be a moderator that could keep up with it on a regular basis. We would need to talk to Keith about that.
    That place sucks, unfortunately. It took 4 months to get my username approved for posting. Something like Reddit or Facebook are your only alternatives. You need lots of traffic to make any marketplace effective. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks to all the great splitters and too bad it's over.

That place sucks, unfortunately. It took 4 months to get my username approved for posting. Something like Reddit or Facebook are your only alternatives. You need lots of traffic to make any marketplace effective. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks to all the great splitters and too bad it's over.
    Sorry sidewinder, but why the negative attitude? I've suggested an possible way that would allow the marketplace / splits to continue but you are posting that it's all over and finished.

What are your concerns about it?

It seems to me all we really need is a message board and we could continue as we were. I know there are bound to be a variety of possibilities across the Internet. We would just need to put someone or some people in charge of being the moderators.

I was not impressed with Reddit's format when I went there. It looks like it's not ready for prime time. And I want nothing to do with Facebook. That would exclude too many people who feel the same way I do.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    It seems to me all we really need is a message board and we could continue as we were. I know there are bound to be a variety of possibilities across the Internet. We would just need to put someone or some people in charge of being the moderators.

I was not impressed with Reddit's format when I went there. It looks like it's not ready for prime time. And I want nothing to do with Facebook. That would exclude too many people who feel the same way I do.
    I agree, but you need lots of traffic to fill those splits and Reddit looks best to me if we can convince the great splitters here to move over.

They don't seem to have the problems they were having here in dealing with whatever it is that's causing the potential closing of the marketplace.

Seems like a no brainer. Reddit abruptly shutting down their splits subreddit seems unlikely as well. They don't have arbitrary price limits either on what can or can't be split.
    Last edited by sidewinder; 20th June 2015 at 08:55 AM.

I agree, but you need lots of traffic to fill those splits and Reddit looks best to me if we can convince the great splitters here to move over.

They don't seem to have the problems they were having here in dealing with whatever it is that's causing the potential closing of the marketplace.

Seems like a no brainer. Reddit abruptly shutting down their splits subreddit seems unlikely as well. They don't have arbitrary price limits either on what can or can't be split.
    It's not closing now, please see the link in the post above you.