Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Plan C: Not scrapping the Marketplace, but making it better instead

"If there's a way to host it off-site but have people come through Basenotes to get to it, that would be a good option."
    People will still complain to Basenotes when they have a problem if they have no one to complain to elsewhere.

Over the past eight years as the marketplace moderator I have successfully mediated, not moderated (as there was no responsibility to do so), hundreds of marketplace disputes. With the understanding that not every dispute has a mutually satisfying conclusion, and that in rare cases some members have to be publicly labeled as scammers to protect the community, I would consider doing this again without once again becoming a moderator and all that it entails across the boards. If it takes the burden away from Grant and therefore allows the marketplace to remain intact...

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    "If there's a way to host it off-site but have people come through Basenotes to get to it, that would be a good option."
    People will still complain to Basenotes when they have a problem if they have no one to complain to elsewhere.

Over the past eight years as the marketplace moderator I have successfully mediated, not moderated (as there was no responsibility to do so), hundreds of marketplace disputes. With the understanding that not every dispute has a mutually satisfying conclusion, and that in rare cases some members have to be publicly labeled as scammers to protect the community, I would consider doing this again without once again becoming a moderator and all that it entails across the boards. If it takes the burden away from Grant and therefore allows the marketplace to remain intact...
    Nice.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

As someone who purchases splits, I consider myself lucky to have found this site. Without it, I would never even have come close to 1/10th of the frags I have now, Id just buy one bottle of something good like I used to, and use it everyday till it finished.

I think some of the splitters here do great work…and I have something to say about this.

When I decide to purchase a split here, I know that this is not the splitter's main profession or source of income…so I don't get pissy about any delays in shipping….in fact, I don't think I have ever experienced a delay. The good guys know what they are doing and you have to have faith in them, or go full retail, IMO.

Second, I am not the sort of person who will jump on any split just because of the fragrance involved. It took me a fair amount of time to find someone whose integrity and processes I understand and trust... and if I want a particular fragrance I will ask them…and if they can't host it, I will do without it.

The one thing I think many buyers would appreciate is some sort of a Splitters' Rating System (kinda like Ebay's Power Seller rating)…and of course this would be earned by the number of successful transactions a splitter chalks up.

Just my two cents….ignore it if you don't care for it…I do talk out of my ass quite often :-)

I like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tester View Post
    As someone who purchases splits, I consider myself lucky to have found this site. Without it, I would never even have come close to 1/10th of the frags I have now, Id just buy one bottle of something good like I used to, and use it everyday till it finished.

I think some of the splitters here do great work…and I have something to say about this.

When I decide to purchase a split here, I know that this is not the splitter's main profession or source of income…so I don't get pissy about any delays in shipping….in fact, I don't think I have ever experienced a delay. The good guys know what they are doing and you have to have faith in them, or go full retail, IMO.

Second, I am not the sort of person who will jump on any split just because of the fragrance involved. It took me a fair amount of time to find someone whose integrity and processes I understand and trust... and if I want a particular fragrance I will ask them…and if they can't host it, I will do without it.

The one thing I think many buyers would appreciate is some sort of a Splitters' Rating System (kinda like Ebay's Power Seller rating)…and of course this would be earned by the number of successful transactions a splitter chalks up.

Just my two cents….ignore it if you don't care for it…I do talk out of my ass quite often :-)
    There is a feedback system.

But I feel it should be waaaay more visible.
    Sale thread 2013 Aventus & GIT! 2014 SMW! Bond no.9 Bleeker St! Guerlain SDV! - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/449...71#post4300371!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Thanks for all the effort all of you are putting into this. Improving the marketplace and making the rules clear for everybody would be very welcome (though it has worked quite good so far).

I'm a splitter, i've dealt with many people. Many of them understand the proccess, possible delays and stuff like that. Others think they're purchasing from a shop (we, splitters, are not a shop) and lack de patience a split requires. Most of the time I deal with them successfully. I've only have 1 problem with a shipment and i've dealt with it outside the forum. The main problems i find are: a) people not leaving feedback b) many people not reading or understanding the rules c) many people signing for splits and not answering when asked for payments.

If there was any way of making the marketplace going even smoother, either it being and outside site, establishing more rules, etc... i'm ok with that. Being a BNPlus member is ok for me too (just give us more PM space )
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post
    There is a feedback system.

But I feel it should be waaaay more visible.
    Good point ... it's not visible in the Split forum for some reason, unless you drill into the person's profile. In the Sale and Swap forums, the number is visible right under the person's name, and it's hyperlinked directly to their feedback detail page.

In response to a few comments before I need to leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post

For the "potential swap" algorithm, it might be easier if directory integration allowed "notifications" when something on your want list became available on another's sale or swap lists.
    Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    4. I don’t think swaps should require a BN Plus. It seems like these are more person-to-person, and shouldn’t require a subscription for basic swaps. If you do create a “match up” system, maybe that could be a perk of BN Plus?
    Sounds a good idea
    5. Escrow system would be nice, but how would it work with Paypal and would it be worth the time and effort to create? Most splitters seem to be very well-known and established, and I assume they use the current feedback system to check potential buyers before allowing them into the split. Do splits go bad often enough to make the escrow worth it? I am not a splitter and would be interested in more feedback, but it seems like this idea might be technically difficult due to people paying at different times, etc.
    I've no idea if/how it would work either, was just trying to get some discussion going!

6. I am all for selling decants, but perhaps in their own section as not to flood the marketplace (if that would be a problem, not really sure).
    Probably would be a separate section

If I had a blank slate to create a new marketplace, I would consider the following criteria:
    - BN has a fantastic database of many, many perfumes
    - Each user can use this database to create a personal wardrobe of what they own/had/want
    - With this is mind, a new marketplace should aim for complete wardrobe integration
    Basically what i'm aiming for

Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post

I'm a splitter, i've dealt with many people. Many of them understand the proccess, possible delays and stuff like that. Others think they're purchasing from a shop (we, splitters, are not a shop) and lack de patience a split requires. Most of the time I deal with them successfully. I've only have 1 problem with a shipment and i've dealt with it outside the forum. The main problems i find are: a) people not leaving feedback b) many people not reading or understanding the rules c) many people signing for splits and not answering when asked for payments.
    If we had a dedicated system for split we could do things like when someone registers a split they get a notice that says they won't get anything until the split if full -- they could be sent notifications when the split is full to help keep them in the loop.

Or -- would it be easier, to not so splits at all, and just have the ability to sell decants -- you choose the sizes you want to sell at and the price?

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Good point ... it's not visible in the Split forum for some reason, unless you drill into the person's profile. In the Sale and Swap forums, the number is visible right under the person's name, and it's hyperlinked directly to their feedback detail page.
    I'll look at this

I knocked up a demo design this morning. Feedback would be appreciated

Things to note

• Seller can have boilerplate text that features on all their listings
    • Feedback is shown directly on the page, as well as details of items the member has outstanding to ship
    • You can add an item to a watch list
    • Integration with directory so you could easily search for all the bottles of Kouros for sale, for example - rather than having to look though each thread
    • standardised listing making it easier to compare​
    Last edited by Grant; 20th June 2015 at 02:46 PM.

Grant, i prefer splits. Decants are right too but that would mean that someone would have to buy a bottle "in advance" and then try to sell decants.

Imagine i want 50ml of Aventus, split priced: i should have to buy by myself 250 o 500ml and then sell decants? imagine a Roja Dove that costs 1000€... only people with enough funds would be able to sell something. I always though that split were some kind of joint purchase. Most of the times i open splits when some friend asks me to do so...

A dedicated systems sounds good. ANyway, i think that most splitters (probably all of them) give enough information to the splits members (like asking for payments when the split is full, etc...) I don't mind explaining someone new how this work and, most of the time, people that don't answer to payments enquiries are people with 0 comments who are no coming back to basenotes... They're a nuisance more than a serious problem. The feedback system should be enough to rule them out.
    Maybe a special feedback system for splits could do the job... i don't know...

Grant, that look really good for selling items.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Grant, that look really good for selling items.
    I'll do something for splits later too.

Banned

Blog Entries

In my near 9 years with Basenotes I have used the Basenotes Marketplace dozens of times, mostly as a buyer, all without a hitch or bad experience of any kind. I always felt it an intrigal part of the Basenotes experience. I started by buying decants from Joel_Cairo and others and stocked my wardrobe with many bargains and hard to find fragrances sold by a group of wonderful sellers, many of whom I consider to be online friends and fellow fragrance enthusiasts.

I am very happy an alternative to shutting it down is being explored. The Basenotes Marketplace certainly is worth saving. Making it far less of a burden on Grant at the same time is definitely something I am totally for.

Bravo! And I wish Grant all good luck in finding a workable solution.
    Summer grasses
    All that remain
    Of warriors' dreams--Basho

Wow that demo looks exactly like I had imagined. But I thought it would take longer than one morning!!! Fantastic work Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    In my near 9 years with Basenotes I have used the Basenotes Marketplace dozens of times, mostly as a buyer, all without a hitch or bad experience of any kind. I always felt it an intrigal part of the Basenotes experience. , many of whom I consider to to be online friends and fellow fragrance enthusiasts.

I am very happy an alternative to shutting it down is being explored. The Basenotes Marketplace certainly is worth saving. Making it far less of a burden on Grant at the same time is definitely something I am totally for.

+1 Similar thoughts here; never had a bad experience so far, no buyer off me has had a negative experience either. So I'm a bit surprised that there are so many hitches, but obviously there are, as Grant & others are working in the background for these at the current phase...

I'm game for anything new that the majority come up with, as I join the occasional split, but am more interested on the buy / sell section (including decants).
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Demo looks great!

Integrating paypal means more expense to buyers BC this removes friends and family option.

I like the way splits are set up now other than the price restrictions which make no sense to me.

I guess I don't have a clear understanding of the background problems in the splits section to understand how to fix it.

What f the site admins and mods refused to get involved in any disputes no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

I'd echo these comments. I've not been a prolific user of the marketplace, but I can see the value it has for members to increase their collection.

I personally love the Marketplace and have not had any issues. As with every site you purchase from, its your discretion to either pay via normal paypal which means including the paypal fee or to use gift option. If a seller asks you to pay gift option and insists and you are not comfortable you tell them NO, I guess I don't understand what the real issue is since its really up to the buyer to protect themselves. Personally as a buyer if I know the person and have dealt with them many times before I do not mind making gift payment, if its a new person I will tell them that I will pay regular payment and include the pp fee. Also when shipping I require the buyer to pay for registered shipping anywhere outside the US. The mods should not be involved if a sale goes wrong, that is what paypal is for, file your claim, deal via paypal and move on. Be sensible and use caution and if a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by <<<Parfumnut>>> View Post
    I personally love the Marketplace and have not had any issues. As with every site you purchase from, its your discretion to either pay via normal paypal which means including the paypal fee or to use gift option. If a seller asks you to pay gift option and insists and you are not comfortable you tell them NO, I guess I don't understand what the real issue is since its really up to the buyer to protect themselves. Personally as a buyer if I know the person and have dealt with them many times before I do not mind making gift payment, if its a new person I will tell them that I will pay regular payment and include the pp fee. Also when shipping I require the buyer to pay for registered shipping anywhere outside the US. The mods should not be involved if a sale goes wrong, that is what paypal is for, file your claim, deal via paypal and move on. Be sensible and use caution and if a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is!!!!!!
    +1 on this! If only we could all be so wise!
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Mock Up of Split Page

Mock Up of Order Tracking

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Wow that demo looks exactly like I had imagined. But I thought it would take longer than one morning!!! Fantastic work Grant.
    None of it works yet! It's just a mock-up. I'll see if I can get some time this evening, once the kids are asleep, to work on the bits that make it work

I've only been a Basenotes member for 8 months, but just wanted Grant (and all of the other BN moderators concerned) to know how glad I am that they're working to retain and even improve the marketplace. So thank you, thank you!

Though I haven't been a frequent user, I have been able to make a few successful purchases there. I wasn't aware of the issues, since I'm one of those people who reads ALL the rules first, and just assumes everyone else does, too The ideas I've seen here, such as integrating our wardrobes, look amazing, as I've spent many hours perusing the forum for something in which I'm interested, can afford, and is being offered by a reputable seller.

I'm also glad to see decants being discussed. As a newbie, what I'm most interested in are affordable samples, decants and mini bottles, since I don't yet wish to commit to larger-sized splits (unless I'm crazy about a fragrance) or retail sizes. Making these items easier to find on BN would be a dream come true.

Thanks for giving everyone the chance to give feedback here. Perhaps the mods may not receive cheers as often as jeers, so let me quickly say how glad I am to have found Basenotes. I'm here almost daily poking around. And I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough of a collection and tenure to start decanting and swapping with others here who are as excited as I am about trying new scents.

I realize this might sound naive, but aren't there generic places to sell things, and Basenotes members could announce things here with links to their page on the sales site. That way someone else administrates the sales and transaction software while at the same time people can still come here to a focused space where they can see what everyone is selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B. View Post
    I realize this might sound naive, but aren't there generic places to sell things, and Basenotes members could announce things here with links to their page on the sales site. That way someone else administrates the sales and transaction software while at the same time people can still come here to a focused space where they can see what everyone is selling.
    Hardcore naive, Andrew. That was proposed 48 hours ago, and they did that thing where they throw tomatoes at the person on stage, metaphorically, of course, but people were talking about maybe rethinking their love of Basenotes in as many words. Really lit a creative fire for Grant.

Well, I hope all this motivating doesn't burn Grant out. I'd hate to see him get fed up with the place.

I'd like to offer decants on here. I've been selling them for 15+ years between eBay (which I finally quit last September) and my own site.
    Providing knowledge of the Occult, Witchcraft and Paranormal since 1976 !

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Currently wearing: Saffron Rose by Grossmith

Dependent

I love splitting...and splits have taken my love for perfume to a higher level. That said, I will do whatever I can to help the marketplace stay.

Grant, if you need more "eyes" on the marketplace to help ease your involvement, perhaps having a few members volunteer for a certain period of time, in a sort of rotation, so that nobody gets burned out.

I do like the two mock-ups you did - very nice and informative!
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Community Manager

Grant, the split mock up looks great! Very orderly and also making the different stages/processes transparent.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Regarding Liability, while I do understand that Grant owns the forum and so to some extent there’s a ‘liability’ there, I don’t really think it’s all that likely that anything serious will happen or that he would personally be responsible. For example, in a recent legal decision, I believe eBay is now only considered a sales hub, and barring some obvious restrictions, they are not responsible for monitoring what users post up for sale. Meaning if I’m not an authorized retailer of XYZ scents and sell my bottle on eBay, it’s up to the company to report it for removal. So by extension, I would assume that Grant hosts a large discussion forum with a side Marketplace and would not be reasonably expected to know about every transaction or be obligated to question things like who is authorized to buy, sell, exchange, etc. And as long as we all avoid a certain company #9, I don’t think we’re going to be threatened by any legal action any time soon. And even then, it’s scare tactics more than anything else. That being said, perhaps a solution here would be to actually look into the cost and practicalities of making Basenotes a separate corporate entity with Grant as the CEO, just for legal reasons so it can acquire liability insurance for example. If it’s a few hundred a month for enough coverage to cover legal problems if necessary, I’m sure between banner ads, sponsors, and paid memberships, we can cover that cost.

Lastly, but probably most importantly, as has already been mentioned a few times, I don’t think we even need to make this that complicated. There’s a very clear set of rules outlining the proceedings for the marketplace, in particular the caveat emptor part. I think people for the most part understand how the world works and shouldn’t expect sunshine and lollipops. Maybe the adjustment here is as simple as people have to sign some sort of agreement by clicking “I have read and understood the above agreement”, etc, with it saying basically that they sign up to a buy/sell/split at their own risk and Basenotes nor it’s employees/mods are responsible, and links to a sticky with recommended best practices like using Paypal, checking for feedback, etc..

For security, maybe only allow PayPal business payments, ie no gift. Honestly personally I usually ask for gift payment and 90-95% of my transactions are sent to me like that and I’ve never had an issue. It’s more about protection for the seller, not the buyer. But it’s an idea. Another idea is maybe it’s a rule only for less than X feedbacks (30?) users… so you have to do PayPal if you’re under a certain limit and after that you can use gift. Escrow is an interesting idea but practically speaking I don’t think it makes sense, given that these are such small transactions, like $100 more or less.

Regarding the Software, I can see how it’s not ideal for this sort of function, but I can already imagine a few changes that would make a big difference…

Considering as we said that it’s not bad people, mostly just bad communication, what I’d suggest is something like what eBay has in terms of someone commits to buying an item, whether a single bottle for sale, or a decant split, or a swap, etc, both parties lock in the agreement, then they mark it as shipped, mark it as received, and get feedback, etc. Right now as a splitter we’re doing this manually, I have a whole spreadsheet for who has paid, which I’ve shipped, who’s received it, who hasn’t left feedback yet, etc. Would be a lot simpler if it were done through the site and all recorded consistently here. Sellers are rated just like ebay. Was the item as described, shipped in a timely manner, good communication, etc…

I definitely agree with the point that the feedback/rating system should have some sort of implication. Not only to be more visible but to have a benefit in some way. I’ve worked hard to acquire 150+ perfect feedback, and I’m sure other sellers are good too but I really work darn hard to go above and beyond and wish there was some way to get credit for that. Maybe a rating on my profile when posting, or a star, etc. Again, see eBay.

Instead of fuzzy qualifiers like membership time or number of posts, maybe have to pay for access to boards, which covers the cost of liability and running the board. That being said, remember my point above, that there’s a huge shadow community and MOST people who sign up for my splits or message to buy from me are actually brand new users, so who knows if they’d bother to sign up for $30 to buy a $100 bottle. So forcing people to pay to have access might significantly cut down on the people who actually want to join to buy/sell. For better or worse. Maybe a small amount, like $5-10 to be able to buy and something much higher like $25-30 to be able to sell/split?

I think we could still clean things up on the boards… so maybe only a single OP for buy/sell and then it’s locked and all other communication is done through PM so ‘bumping’ doesn’t apply?

As we’ve already started discussing, I think the most important change would be to integrate the buy/sell/exchange/swap into the wardrobe; it seems like a natural connection. If anything, I think the most underutilized part of the whole site is the wardrobe. There’s huge power here and currently it’s just a little notepad/list. Ideally this should be integrated as a marketplace through the directory. Imagine I look up a scent, read reviews, decide I want some, and then click who has this available for sale, then select bottle/decant, price, size, etc and then send PM from there. eBay listings, eBay members, etc it all competes like the open market.

Not my suggestion, but an option similar to Panjo. Styleforum changed over to a different style of selling where instead of one page per user with random items, it’s one page per item, so then can search and sort by item. Through wardrobe for buying/selling bottles probably makes sense. So could say I’m selling X bottle, choose retail/decant, box/no, etc. Or Search/sort, I want X scent, X price max/min, show me which users have it (in brackets their feedback), and filters like decant/only retail, box/not, etc…

Another point here… I think we really need to properly hash out a discussion about decant sales… It’s always been this behind the scenes unspoken grey area and as far as I understand it’s only because of a little incident many years ago from one particular ahem company… I think decants are as common as retail bottles for our community so allowing them only for swaps but not buy/sell is a game of smoke and mirrors. For splitters, it means people have to wait months and months to get their stuff or not at all if doesn’t fill, also part of the reason people back out because they forgot to even visit the site anymore, also sometimes split buyers are blind, so how would they get rid of something they don’t like? It’s a really small semantics issues between splits and decant sales. Technicality but in the end major disservice to the community. I think the buy/sell board should include decants right along-side retail bottles, though the splits section is its own beast.

Would be great to have a software solution where I could plug in the details of my split, my terms, what I’m splitting, sizes available, prices, shipping costs per region, batch codes, etc, and then people sign up, I have a waitlist, I can send out a message to say full so please pay, etc.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got for now, just wanted to agree with some ideas brought up before and add my own 10 cents.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 22nd June 2015 at 05:17 AM.
    Tom Ford Splits:Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute, Tobacco Vanille ONE LEFT: Italian Cypress, Patchouli Absolu, Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast