Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Soaps / Shower Gels - Currently Using, Favourites, Purchases, etc.

I've just unwrapped a bar of Carnation scented goats milk soap by Aussie e-tailer Platypus Dreams. Also, I recently placed an order for some more Le Sérail Antique Savon de Marseille Olive Oil soap, Tadé Aleppo soap & Tadé Red Clay Black soap. Other soaps currently in use are a couple more goats milk soaps - one sandalwood & the other is peppermint & vanilla.
    Currently wearing: Espionage by Ayala Moriel

Default Re: Soaps / Shower Gels - Currently Using, Favourites, Purchases, etc.

I recently bought from the Belfast Soap Company goat's milk and lavender, also one of their licorice soaps. Both smell amazing. All vegtal and handmade.

We have a Christmas market and each year a guy comes from France with wonderful soaps again all vegral, they are like the L'Occtiane bath size shea butter soaps but much cheaper. I buy the Asses Milk(yes real asses' milk is used), goat's milk and lavender.
    DONNA

Martin de Candre for bath soaps. Erno Laszlo facial soaps are very good.

Donna, I love handmade soaps too. They have wonderful moisturising properties.

My son just requested his favourite soap for the hand basin, it's another handmade goats milk soap by Platypus Dreams in the scent of Lavender Mint. It's an essential oil soap & I've just unwrapped it for him this morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Today, I went with a shower gel to match my perfume - Ren Moroccan Rose Otto Bath Wash. The perfume is Loukhoum eau Poudree.

Yay, a soap thread! There seem to be different brands available in different countries and I love reading about the ones in other places. They sound wonderful. Goatsmilk soap does seem to have hydrating properties and I'll bet the asses' milk soap does too. Le Sérail savon de Marseille has been available here and I used to buy it, a very good brand. It is hard to find Marseille soap still made with the original simple ingredients, basically olive and/or palm oil and lye. Today they almost all seem to be made with commercial soap bases and do not have the same aging properties. Whenever I do find authentic ones I grab them.

Now using Savon d'Alep for bath and Crabtree & Evelyn Lily soap at the washbasin. The latter makes the whole bathroom smell good. Same for the matching body lotion, which is excellent and true to the Lily scent.

There is a local "green" store that carries locally made soap, which I have not yet gotten around to trying but intend to some time.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle." Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Also happy for a soap thread! Nothing good to report at this moment, but looking forward to using up the current bar and trying something new.

Fiveoaks, for years I thought I didn't like Marseille soap because of the non authentic ones that swamp the marketplace. Love the real deal & Marseille soaps make the best laundry soap for sensitive skin, too.

Leathermountain, do you have any soap favourites?

I have unwrapped a bar of C&E Iris soap for the ensuite handbasin & another goats milk soap for the shower in a soft Creme Brulee scent. It's not a strong scent & plays nice with most of my perfumes.

The Carnation & the Lavender Mint goats milk soaps have been finished. I've unwrapped several Crabtree & Evelyn soaps - Nantucket Briar, Lily & Jojoba Oil. The Jojoba Oil scent is o.k., don't love it but don't hate it either. I absolutely love the other two scents!

I ordered some more goats milk soaps including a few 'new to me' scents. There is a Lily of the Valley one which I'm hoping will compliment my Guerlain Idylle perfumes (EDT & EDP).

CuddleCat, that's a nice lineup! I use the C&E Lily body lotion (sparingly) with Idylle and they go well together.

I meant to post here the other day but it slipped my mind. Took out the Sea Salt soap, couldn't be more perfect in summer. Watch out--it has an addictive quality! I gave some to a friend for his birthday and he himself has since bought it to give as gifts to several people.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle." Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Fiveoaks, thanks for the heads up on the C&E Lily body lotion. I love the scent of the Lily soap so will get a bottle of the lotion & I'll get a small bottle of the EDT while I'm ordering, too.

Just did a search on the Sea Salt soap & there is an Aussie website that sells it. It also has several (new to me) soap & candle brands that look very interesting, too. Do you think the Sea Salt soap is moisturising enough for winter & is the smell similar to any C&E soaps?

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    Fiveoaks, thanks for the heads up on the C&E Lily body lotion. I love the scent of the Lily soap so will get a bottle of the lotion & I'll get a small bottle of the EDT while I'm ordering, too.

Just did a search on the Sea Salt soap & there is an Aussie website that sells it. It also has several (new to me) soap & candle brands that look very interesting, too. Do you think the Sea Salt soap is moisturising enough for winter & is the smell similar to any C&E soaps?
    CC, Looking forward to hearing what you think if of the Lily lotion. It's not too greasy.

I'm glad the Sea Salt soap is gaining in popularity. I did use it in winter and it was not drying and perfectly enjoyable, especially the salt scrub effect. That said, the whole concept fits in perfectly with summer ambiance. Describing the scent is subjective but I would call it a cheerful floral with a nautical twist. Among the C&E soaps with which I am familiar, the only correlation that comes to mind would be the Black Sea Mud & Seaweed soap. The latter is more tarry than floral and does not have a scrub effect but they both have some ocean notes that evoke a feeling of being at the seashore.

Fiveoaks, I have a bar of C&E Black Sea Mud & Seaweed soap in my soap stash & I really like the aroma. A floral marine soap sounds good, will order a bar when I work out what other soaps I want to try from the same website.

They also stock Nesti Dante soaps from Italy has anyone tried these soaps? Any recs?

While I was ordering the C&E Lily products, I also purchased a box set of Nantucket Briar soaps & received a free box set of Evelyn Rose soaps. The order should arrive here sometime next week.

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    Fiveoaks, I have a bar of C&E Black Sea Mud & Seaweed soap in my soap stash & I really like the aroma. A floral marine soap sounds good, will order a bar when I work out what other soaps I want to try from the same website.

They also stock Nesti Dante soaps from Italy has anyone tried these soaps? Any recs?

While I was ordering the C&E Lily products, I also purchased a box set of Nantucket Briar soaps & received a free box set of Evelyn Rose soaps. The order should arrive here sometime next week.
    Sounds like the household will be well stocked for a while! I have seen Nesti Dante soap in Winners but not tried them. Looking forward to any and all reviews.

- - - Updated - - -

The other day I bought two backup bars of the sea-salt soap and now the store has the complete line, with two other types plus candles. Did not buy additional products this time but I will be trying them in future, including the candles. No affiliation, of course. I am delighted to see the local store has increased the line. Hopefully that means they are being well received. (A friend of mine has already bought about ten bars for himself and gifts! )

I sniffed the seaweed and sea-aster soaps and they also smell very nice. Don't remember exactly the notes but fresh marine once again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FiveoaksBouquet; 28th July 2015 at 03:25 PM.

Fiveoaks, I nearly ordered a bar of the Sea Aster soap but decided to get only the Sea Salt soap from the Kalastyle brand because I wanted to try three bars of Nesti Dante soaps (Rose & Peony, Iris, Sandalwood & Incense). Hoping the order will be here on Monday.

I tried the C&E Lily body lotion & really like it, feels very nice on my skin & absorbs well.

Glad the Lily body lotion worked out. It feels cool when applied and I like that in a lotion, very soothing effect.

I just started a new bar of the sea salt soap and, in an unusual move, have two soaps going at the tub, Sea Salt and savon d'Alep. Couldn't decide which one so I put out both. I've never done that before!

Nesti Dante soaps have such beautiful packaging. I have seen them in local stores from time to time but never tried them. Looking forward to hearing how they perform. CC.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

I'm using Amouage Gold Shower Gel. Very sensual, smooth with subtle fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by sealofmusk View Post
    I'm using Amouage Gold Shower Gel. Very sensual, smooth with subtle fragrance.
    Sealofmusk, that sounds so luxurious. I've seen the perfumes first hand but the local store doesn't have bath items. Where are they available?

We can't do real soap in Florida water, the water has too many minerals and soap just kind of locks to the skin, and builds up on the shower in a mess of very-difficult-to-remove soap scum. And woe to anyone who tries to wash their hair with soap, it may just have to be cut off.

So we use the detergent-based body washes instead, they don't work exactly the same way and do clean better in this water, though I may burn in hell for all the plastic bottles. We have to keep cost within reason for now, big family. I like Body Shop body washes, especially the Mango, and there is an Everyone brand that is nice and has no sodium-laurel-sulfate. For the face we have been enjoying the Cerave that says it's for oily skin, it's not drying at all despite the name, feels soft and good.

Finally, got some spare time to post - home renovations are almost finished, all the major stuff has been done now. Hooray!

I've unwrapped one of the Nesti Dante soaps. It's from the 'Emozioni in Toscana' range, the scent is called Villages & Monasteries. Oh, how I love this scent- it's powdery sandalwood incense. Very large bar (250gms) & it's excellent quality (non drying) triple milled soap. Very please with this soap so far, lathers well & it has a very nice feel to it.

Congrats on the home renovations, CuddleCat! "Villages and Monasteries" sounds nice and complex as an aroma.

I've been meaning to get back to this thread. Now using Aleppo soap at tubside and Swedish Dream Seaweed soap at the washbasin. I started out trying it for bath and shower but was a bit disappointed. I expected it to be a scrub similar to the Sea Salt soap but there are just a few flakes of seaweed in it and it has no special texture. Besides, whereas with the Sea Salt soap the scent dissipates shortly after the bath (which I like because it doesn't interfere with perfume), with the Seaweed soap the perfume is stronger and remains on the skin. As a result I moved it to the washbasin. The soap itself does a nice job and smells nice, making it fine for an uplifting hand-washing scent.

Apart from my regular Bourjois, Yves Rocher etc. purchases, strongly considering to get a few bottles of Le Petit Marseillais shower gels

In the last week, I've unwrapped two new soaps. A goats milk soap scented in Lily of the Valley for the shower & a Swedish Dreams Sea Salt soap for the hand basin. I'm enjoying the exfoliating properties of the sea salt soap.

Blog Entries

Hiya. Love all good things for the bathroom! The L'Artisan Parfumeur shower gels are lovely. They are more like gel rather than liquid soap so they cream up on your skin and don't just end up down the plug hole! Caligna is particularly lovely.Crabtree and Evelyn are great too.

Nice bar soap seems to be coming back after a hiatus in favour of shower gel and liquid soap. Dior do a nice J'Adore one. Neste Dante, as you discovered, are highly perfumed, Alvarez Gomez do a great Cologne Soap, as do 4711. Also, as Donna said, Savon De Marseille , the traditional French soap is really great. It's made with Olive Oil and it is so kind to skin.

The Sea Salt soap is well finished, I really loved it but the bar didn't seem to last that long compared to other soaps.

Currently using a couple of guest sized soaps at the hand basin - Tadé Pain de Thé – Tea Aleppo Soap & Panier des Sens extra-gentle Olive soap. Nothing new at the bath tub or in the shower at the moment but there are two soaps that are almost finished.

Current soaps in use are Jack Frost (peppermint & vanilla) goats milk soap, Frankincense & Lavender goats milk soap, Creme Brulee goats milk soap, Relaxing (complex vanilla blend) goats milk soap & Panier des Sens Honey guest soap.

Also have two hand foam pumps filled with diluted liquid goats milk soap in use, one is a Banana Pudding scent & the other is a very nice amber scent.
    Last edited by CuddleCat; 25th November 2015 at 03:26 AM.

Started a bar of C&E Iris soap & another bar of Jack Frost (peppermint & vanilla) goats milk soap.

Bar soap fanatic here.

Currently using

Diptyque Tam Dao bar
    Caswell Massey Almond bar
    Maria Evora Black Soap
    Clause Porto Banho

I love collecting soaps from fine artisans in Europe but they're too beautiful to use!
    Currently wearing: Tam Dao by Diptyque

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

My favorite fragranced soaps are by Roget et Gallet especially their sandalwood.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Of today's Roger & Gallet soaps my favourite is the Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille but I do miss some of the old-time scents like Rose Thé, Fougère, Iris and Oeillet Mignardaise.

Last week I got an Aesop Body Cleansing Slab with oils of bergamot, ylang-ylang and lime. It's very nice; the only thing is you have to cut it (ideally into three bars) and when I tried to do so two of the three bars crumbled into jagged pieces. I guess a regular knife is not suitable for the job and next to try will be a crinkle cutter. anyone here have any advice or experience cutting soap bars successfully?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

We've been using the colored cubes from L'Occitane, Savons de Marseille. I like those, but perhaps I should be upping my game. Strictly bar soap.