Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
o

Default Re: Soaps / Shower Gels - Currently Using, Favourites, Purchases, etc.

I think bar soap is worth the investment. To me, it's more luxurious and creates an experience. I've also used them in my closet, especially when I was on my Byredo Gypsy Water phase.
    Currently wearing: Tam Dao by Diptyque

Love reading about all the different soaps!

Fiveoaks - I use a serrated steak knife when cutting soap & I keep the blade hot by having a cup of boiling water handy so I can dip the blade as needed. This works nearly every time for me.

You make soap? I've been wanting to start doing that for a long time! Do you sell them?

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    Love reading about all the different soaps!

Fiveoaks - I use a serrated steak knife when cutting soap & I keep the blade hot by having a cup of boiling water handy so I can dip the blade as needed. This works nearly every time for me.
    CC, thanks for the tip!

I love reading about all the different soaps too!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JustinFragLvr View Post
    I think bar soap is worth the investment. To me, it's more luxurious and creates an experience. I've also used them in my closet, especially when I was on my Byredo Gypsy Water phase.
    Justin, welcome to the forum! Couldn't agree more. Soap feels so luxurious. I am also partial to bar soap and stock it up in the linen closet. Your closet must smell wonderful!
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

I like to think it does! What soaps are you currently using? Favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinFragLvr View Post
    I like to think it does! What soaps are you currently using? Favorites?
    Currently using at wash basin the pieces from the Aesop soap slab mentioned earlier. It smells mostly of ylang-ylang. At tubside is savon d'Alep (Aleppo soap), the crude unscented bars. Favourites include those plus Roger & Gallet and a few Crabtree & Evelyn such as Lily and Black Sea Mud, but not all because some of them crack into strips. Also favourites are guest soaps of Guerlain Eau de Cologne Impériale. They were a promotional item I received once Those little cakes last forever and smell fabulous. Guerlain makes fantastic soap. If only they made more choices. Druide is a local brand and their goat-milk soap is non-dryng and perfect for winter.

I had ro put the Aesop soap slab aside for summer use as it proved drying in winter. This is a little surprising as it comes from Australia, where one would imagine combating dryness would be factored into a soap, due to the dry climate. Using in its place R&G Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille. Although I liked some of the original R&G fragrances better than those today, the actual soap seems less drying today than it used to be in earlier times.

Happy Spring or Happy Autumn, depending on the hemisphere!

For the first time I have branched out to a more modernized Aleppo soap. Now at wash basin is this round version, to complement the traditional crude bar used at tubside. What's new in soap for others here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Tom's of Maine Daily Moisture at the moment. Nice and neutral, only lightly fragranced.

Fiveoaks, I wish more Australian soap brands would make very moisturising soaps. This summer was extra harsh on the skin so I've been using mainly handmade goats milk soaps with the occasional use of Tade Savon Noir du Hammam (red clay black soap paste). Current goats milk soaps in use are Sandalwood, Pink Sugar (dupe), Relaxing (vanilla) & Blackcurrant Tea.

Used the Sandalwood goats milk soap today, love how the whole bathroom smells of sandalwood post shower.

Unwrapped a bar of Creme Brulee goats milk soap.

Received a gift of some lovely Fragonard soaps today - Heliotrope Gingembre, Rose Ambre, Santal Cardamone & Encens Feve Tonka.

Opened one of the Fragonard soaps in the scent of Heliotrope Gingembre.

Opened a bar of unscented goats milk soap for one of the hand basins.

Started a bar of Relaxing (complex vanilla blend) goats milk soap this morning.

Sillage Monster

I've been using a bar soap called Skin Trip for showering.

Currently using Glasshouse "Kyoto" (Camellia & Lotus) Hand Wash at the hand basin & I've just unwrapped a Sandalwood goats milk soap for the shower.

I've unwrapped a bar of C&E Nantucket Briar soap.

Started a bar of Chai Time soap made by The Soap Bar.

Basenotes Plus

Vetiver Shower Gel by Guerlain
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Started a bar of C&E Evelyn Rose soap.

I got a quart bottle of Archipelago Botanicals Black Honey body wash, it's lovely.

My daughter one day sends me a text "I am using your shower, G is in ours aargh"

That night when she gets home from work, first thing she says "Oh my god whatever that body wash is in your shower, I want that for Christmas."

I've tried a number of different brands over the years, most recently Swedish Dream, Mitchell's Woolfat, Saponificio Varesino and Musgo Real. However, for the last 8 months I've been hooked on Nesti Dante - it's good value, lasts ages, natural, and moisturisers my skin like no other soap I've tried. My favourite frgrances so far are:

Cypress (smells, as you'd imagine, like a forest)
    Lavender
    Villages and Monasteries (lovely, if a little subtle, incense fragrance)
    Thermal Waters (smells just like a spa!)

I have tried others, and I'm looking forward to trying more, but so far these are firm favourites
    My current favourite:

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    ...Last week I got an Aesop Body Cleansing Slab with oils of bergamot, ylang-ylang and lime. It's very nice; the only thing is you have to cut it (ideally into three bars) and when I tried to do so two of the three bars crumbled into jagged pieces. I guess a regular knife is not suitable for the job and next to try will be a crinkle cutter. anyone here have any advice or experience cutting soap bars successfully?
    I am interested in this Aesop soap. Anyone else have it?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have just returned from Nice, where I bought some savon de Marseilles
    (in the local market) scented with Pastis (a licorice-like liqueur) It is really unusual
    and refreshing.
    I also love the Neste Danti soap called Sardegna.
    Almond scented soaps from Italy are also a favourite.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Lord Of Misrule Shower Cream by Lush. Sort of smells like if you baked cookies with patchouli and black pepper. I love the scent. And the color is alien green!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Currently alternating between two Fragonard soaps - Rose Ambre & Santal Cardamome

i really should use my soaps.
    I have Nesti Dantes coming out of every orifice, a bar of Serge Lutens, Amouage Memoir and Lyric, all unopened.

I also have been on a shower gel bender lately. I'm currently using a Palmolive milk and honey but I have Amouages, Guerlains, Molinard Habanita and a couple of Lush. The only ones I have tried so far is the Lush Twilight and Rose Jam.

Usually I only use the matching ones to my perfumes when I am using the perfume.

Basenotes Plus

Just bought Rose Jam by Lush yesterday!

-- Eckhart Tolle