Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Dependent freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    7,253

    Default Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    I need some feedback on the following -

    Czech & Speake Cuba
    Odori Tabacco
    Tabacco Toscano
    Feuilles de Tabac
    Acqua di Cuba



    What I have in mind is a 'classic masculine' tobacco or tobacco themed fragrance, something like (not necessarily similar to) Havana. Not something sweet along the lines of Pure Havane or Tobacco Vanille.


    As always, thank you all!
    Album of the week: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - David Bowie

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muh1pk7xc2k
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  2. #2
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lusaka
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    I can't really point at exactly what you're looking for but a number of tobacco fragrances were referred to or discussed in the thread below recently, so maybe you could get some useful suggestions.

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407...is-the-tobacco
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    I haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned but of the ones along the lines of your description I can reccomend.
    Cuir Tabac
    Vintage Tabarome
    Tabac Aurea.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

  4. #4
    Foustie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,628
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

    What I have in mind is a 'classic masculine' tobacco or tobacco themed fragrance, something like (not necessarily similar to) Havana. Not something sweet along the lines of Pure Havane or Tobacco Vanille.
    I can tell you a little about Feuilles de Tabac. I can tell you that it fits your brief actually. Feuilles de Tabac is not at all sweet. Indeed it has an astringency to it. It very much has a "classic masculine" character, reminiscent of a woody fougere.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Tried all of them other than Toscana.

    Odori Tobacco, and Acqua di Cuba fit your description the closest. Feuilles de Tabac's tobacco note is drowned out by patchouli.

    C&S Cuba is my pick of the litter. Fresh and aromatic rum soaked tobacco, lime, and mint. Also some subtle spices and something dirty. Some people say it smells like poop, but I think it's wonderful.

  6. #6
    Dependent MegaMav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,894

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    I tried the Odori for the first time last night and wrote this little mini review:

    A solid, soft tobacco and vanilla scent.
    To me, this has some similarities to Bvlgari Black.
    Substitute the smoky, burned tea note in Bvlgari Black for a very realistic humid tobacco note. The vanilla note is nearly identical. I dont get much else front to back, the opening is fresh with the bitter citrus, but that lasts maybe a minute and not worth analyzing.

    Its simple, yet the tobacco and vanilla is balanced perfectly. Its not so entombing like Tobacco Vanille. Its an EDT with good staying power and the projection is respectable at an arms length for hours. It wont clear a room but others near you will know you're wearing something rich, warm, sophisticated.

    This scent, for me, has redefined what tobacco in a fragrance should smell like. The retail price is painful, and not worth it at $210, but if you can find it for under $100, its worth considering. Its hard to argue with its execution and wearability.

    Well done.
    I havent tried the others.
    I have left Basenotes due to excessive childish behavior by community members.
    If you need to contact me, please use alternate forms of communication.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I can tell you a little about Feuilles de Tabac. I can tell you that it fits your brief actually. Feuilles de Tabac is not at all sweet. Indeed it has an astringency to it. It very much has a "classic masculine" character, reminiscent of a woody fougere.
    It's also kinda 'wet' if that makes sense, whereas Toscano has a dryer feel -- both very nice
    Cuba polarises -- you;ll need to test imo

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    16,358

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    I would go with Tabac Rouge by Phaedon.

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    111,078

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post

    What I have in mind is a 'classic masculine' tobacco or tobacco themed fragrance, something like (not necessarily similar to) Havana. Not something sweet along the lines of Pure Havane or Tobacco Vanille.


    As always, thank you all!
    Might want to give Tobacco by Franck Boclet a try.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus
    mixerscent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    1,578

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Amouage Tribute

  11. #11
    Basenotes Plus
    HackerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,901

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio is the best I've come across so far.
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)

    3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    4. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    5. Puredistance Black


  12. #12
    Dependent freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    7,253

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Ok, thank you all for the observations!
    Album of the week: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - David Bowie

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muh1pk7xc2k
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  13. #13
    Dependent freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    7,253

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothée Kal View Post
    I can't really point at exactly what you're looking for but a number of tobacco fragrances were referred to or discussed in the thread below recently, so maybe you could get some useful suggestions.

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407...is-the-tobacco
    I've seen that- thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    I haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned but of the ones along the lines of your description I can reccomend.
    Cuir Tabac
    Vintage Tabarome
    Tabac Aurea.
    Have been interested in Sonoma Scent Studio for a while - thanks for these suggestions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I can tell you a little about Feuilles de Tabac. I can tell you that it fits your brief actually. Feuilles de Tabac is not at all sweet. Indeed it has an astringency to it. It very much has a "classic masculine" character, reminiscent of a woody fougere.
    Thank you, Foustie!

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Tried all of them other than Toscana.

    Odori Tobacco, and Acqua di Cuba fit your description the closest. Feuilles de Tabac's tobacco note is drowned out by patchouli.

    C&S Cuba is my pick of the litter. Fresh and aromatic rum soaked tobacco, lime, and mint. Also some subtle spices and something dirty. Some people say it smells like poop, but I think it's wonderful.
    Thanks JiveHippo! I'm very interested to check out Cuba, though I'm sure I'd wouldn't find it disagreeable like some do.

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I tried the Odori for the first time last night and wrote this little mini review:



    I havent tried the others.
    Thanks, and good, informative review!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    It's also kinda 'wet' if that makes sense, whereas Toscano has a dryer feel -- both very nice
    Cuba polarises -- you;ll need to test imo
    Yes I need to test these - thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I would go with Tabac Rouge by Phaedon.
    Thanks, have been planning to check out this one as well!

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Might want to give Tobacco by Franck Boclet a try.
    I'm interested in this line, would be looking to try them out all when the opportunity comes along - thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Amouage Tribute
    Rather pricey for me, but would check it out if and when possible - thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio is the best I've come across so far.
    Never heard of this one - thanks!
    Album of the week: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - David Bowie

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muh1pk7xc2k
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  14. #14
    Richie_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    OK I can toss a few out there:

    Vermeil for Men: The bottle looks like a giant lighter. Campy? Uh, yes.....but a great scent! Smells like the 80's but came out in the 90's I believe. Easy on the wallet, too.

    L'Occitane's Eau Des Baux: Smells very tobacco-like to me. Agreeable and very wearable. Easily accessible for trial and purchase. Give it a shot.

    Michael For Men by Michael Kors: I last bought this about six or seven years ago. Has it been revamped? Weakened? IDK, but the one that is called "Michael" is great, IMHO.

    Burberry London: A dry tobacco feel with the port wine note/accord adding a boozy vibe. Interesting.

    Avant Garde by Lanvin: Very under-rated. Great stuff.

    I think the newest incarnation of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme has a good tobacco vibe. Still one of the better designer scents, IMHO.

    Animale Animale: My step Dad had a bottle of this and it smelled like Cavendish-style pipe tobacco.



    I suddenly notice there are a bunch of possibilities in a section called "Similar Threads" viewed right below where I am writing this....

  15. #15
    Richie_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Here's another take. If someone already linked this, sorry. But quite forgiving the Interwebs is. (in Yoda voice)



    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/276...acco-Fragrance

  16. #16
    Richie_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,080

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Brain's still working.....

    Lapidus Pour Homme: Opaque, white-stone looking bottle. Came out in the 80's, has the similar "tobacco + honey" vibe of Avant Garde. Also budget-friendly.

    Tom Ford extreme: Seems tobacco-like to me. I owned the regular Tom Ford and it left me wanting for more. Maybe I should have gone with the Extreme and been done with it?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    If you want something in the same vibe as Havana, you should try Feuilles de Tabac and Cuba; I think you will like them.

  18. #18
    Dependent freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    7,253

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    OK I can toss a few out there:

    Vermeil for Men: The bottle looks like a giant lighter. Campy? Uh, yes.....but a great scent! Smells like the 80's but came out in the 90's I believe. Easy on the wallet, too.

    L'Occitane's Eau Des Baux: Smells very tobacco-like to me. Agreeable and very wearable. Easily accessible for trial and purchase. Give it a shot.

    Michael For Men by Michael Kors: I last bought this about six or seven years ago. Has it been revamped? Weakened? IDK, but the one that is called "Michael" is great, IMHO.

    Burberry London: A dry tobacco feel with the port wine note/accord adding a boozy vibe. Interesting.

    Avant Garde by Lanvin: Very under-rated. Great stuff.

    I think the newest incarnation of Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme has a good tobacco vibe. Still one of the better designer scents, IMHO.

    Animale Animale: My step Dad had a bottle of this and it smelled like Cavendish-style pipe tobacco.



    I suddenly notice there are a bunch of possibilities in a section called "Similar Threads" viewed right below where I am writing this....

    Hello Rich, thanks for your thoughts on these. I haven't tried Vermeil, would watch out for it!
    Album of the week: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - David Bowie

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muh1pk7xc2k
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  19. #19
    Dependent freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    7,253

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    If you want something in the same vibe as Havana, you should try Feuilles de Tabac and Cuba; I think you will like them.
    Thank you. Yes, these two appear to be interesting.
    Album of the week: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - David Bowie

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muh1pk7xc2k
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  20. #20

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    I own and enjoy Odori Tabacco and David Jourquin Cuir Tabac. The Cuir Tabac has a big patchouli note however.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Help needed with a Tobacco (or 'tobacco themed') Fragrance

    Bogart Pour Homme (pipe tobacco - cherry - tonka) A very nice one
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vintage Made in Italy / Euroitalia)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

    Signature: Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas / Roger Pellegrino, 1980)

    Current Top 7:

    Chanel Antaeus (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1981)
    Terre d' Hermes EDT (2006-2009) (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2006)
    Green Irish Tweed (Probably Oliver Creed / Pierre Bourdon, 1985)
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (Gilles Romey, 1993)
    Bleu de Chanel EDP (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (vtg) (Max Gavary, 1994)
    Chanel Allure Homme (vtg) (Jaques Polge, 1999)

Similar Threads

  1. Best Tobacco Fragrance
    By bokaba in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 13th October 2011, 02:00 PM
  2. Help with Tobacco fragrance
    By Serjery in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 29th August 2011, 07:24 AM
  3. Looking for my go to Tobacco fragrance
    By MJM_77 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 15th June 2011, 04:22 AM
  4. Pipe tobacco frag? (Not Tobacco Vanille!)
    By pinkfizzy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 8th February 2010, 11:29 AM
  5. Tobacco Vanille - Where did the tobacco go?
    By Captcrunch in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29th December 2009, 07:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000