Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default My first blend of EOs in jojoba. What would make a better-smelling and more fun easy project?

Sometimes I wear a nice EO diluted in jojoba, like sandalwood or lavender. Today I used up a beloved tiny sample of Wild Orange EO that way, and I wanted to try to blending a few citrus EOs to make a nice, simple citrus. I thought that sounded easy, so I just mixed and played, not keeping track, but these are the EOs I used, roughly in order from most to least:

Citrus sinensis Italy cold pressed -- Blood Orange
    Litsea cubeba Vietnam distilled -- May Chang
    Cedrus atlantica -- Atlas Cedar
    Anina roseadora Brazil distilled -- Rosewood
    Lemon -- no details on bottle
    Citrus bergamia Italy pressed -- Bergamot
    Piper nigrum Vietnam distilled -- Black Pepper
    Santalum album Indonesia distilled -- Sandalwood
    Cananga odorata Madagascar distilled -- Ylang Ylang

The biggest problem I had was alternating between two things I didn't want: 1) upping the citrus EOs often made it smell more sharp and limonene-y rather than actually smelling of citrus, but then 2) upping the woodsy EOs I was thinking of as "rounding it out" made it smell good at least but woodsier than I wanted for this project.

New working hypothesis: citrus EOs do not complement each other. Just the opposite.

Right now the smell is alternating on its own, although I have stopped adding anything to it. It will be macerating for a while, because I don't much like it. I'll see if it changes. But I'll need a new organizing principle or else to go back to one EO at a time.

The most successful choice was to add one drop of ylang. I was afraid it would make the whole thing smell like bananas, but instead it actually did what I wanted, which was to "round out" the whole. I didn't dare add more ylang, but maybe I will later on if the whole thing turns out to be unusable anyway.

The path not taken was nutmeg, which I was also afraid would dominate rather than unify.

This project made me realize a few things about my EO collection:
    1. I need fresher citrus oils, although the Litsea held up very well. The Litsea also read as much less floral than I was expecting.
    2. I need more floral choices than just ylang or rosewood.
    3. I really wondered what vanilla would have done here, if I'd had any. I don't much like vanilla on its own or as a main note in perfumes, but the idea kept coming to me to try it in this blend, so maybe I should look for some absolute.

My question: is there a category of EO blend project that actually would be simple and likely successful? My idea of "a few citrus EOs together" didn't work, but I want to play at this level for a while if I can, preferably with some chance of enjoying the results. Thanks in advance!

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Default Re: My first blend of EOs in jojoba. What would make a better-smelling and more fun easy project?

Quote Originally Posted by leathermountain View Post
    Sometimes I wear a nice EO diluted in jojoba, like sandalwood or lavender. Today I used up a beloved tiny sample of Wild Orange EO that way, and I wanted to try to blending a few citrus EOs to make a nice, simple citrus. I thought that sounded easy, so I just mixed and played, not keeping track, but these are the EOs I used, roughly in order from most to least:

Citrus sinensis Italy cold pressed -- Blood Orange
    Litsea cubeba Vietnam distilled -- May Chang
    Cedrus atlantica -- Atlas Cedar
    Anina roseadora Brazil distilled -- Rosewood
    Lemon -- no details on bottle
    Citrus bergamia Italy pressed -- Bergamot
    Piper nigrum Vietnam distilled -- Black Pepper
    Santalum album Indonesia distilled -- Sandalwood
    Cananga odorata Madagascar distilled -- Ylang Ylang

The biggest problem I had was alternating between two things I didn't want: 1) upping the citrus EOs often made it smell more sharp and limonene-y rather than actually smelling of citrus, but then 2) upping the woodsy EOs I was thinking of as "rounding it out" made it smell good at least but woodsier than I wanted for this project.

New working hypothesis: citrus EOs do not complement each other. Just the opposite.

Right now the smell is alternating on its own, although I have stopped adding anything to it. It will be macerating for a while, because I don't much like it. I'll see if it changes. But I'll need a new organizing principle or else to go back to one EO at a time.

The most successful choice was to add one drop of ylang. I was afraid it would make the whole thing smell like bananas, but instead it actually did what I wanted, which was to "round out" the whole. I didn't dare add more ylang, but maybe I will later on if the whole thing turns out to be unusable anyway.

The path not taken was nutmeg, which I was also afraid would dominate rather than unify.

This project made me realize a few things about my EO collection:
    1. I need fresher citrus oils, although the Litsea held up very well. The Litsea also read as much less floral than I was expecting.
    2. I need more floral choices than just ylang or rosewood.
    3. I really wondered what vanilla would have done here, if I'd had any. I don't much like vanilla on its own or as a main note in perfumes, but the idea kept coming to me to try it in this blend, so maybe I should look for some absolute.

My question: is there a category of EO blend project that actually would be simple and likely successful? My idea of "a few citrus EOs together" didn't work, but I want to play at this level for a while if I can, preferably with some chance of enjoying the results. Thanks in advance!
    Might want to re-post this in the DIY Forum where you would probably receive more helpful and informative responses from experienced perfumers. Just a thought.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: My first blend of EOs in jojoba. What would make a better-smelling and more fun easy project?

The DIY section should be able to help you.

Thanks hednic and sjg3839. Reposting now.