Code of Conduct

Default Roger Gallet Open Black

It's rare that I find a fragrance not in the directory here or on fragrantica, so it's my pleasure to review it briefly.

I think the easiest way to describe it would be 60 percent Bogart Pour Homme, 20 percent Obsession, and 20 percent other. It's a sweeter, soapier, leather version of Open but the DNA of the original is still there, sort of like how the DNA of Issey Miyake is present in the flankers.

I purchased a bottle for 20 dollars, and it's great for the price the trouble is it's so similar to the powerhouses of old that I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep it. It's green, sweet, floral, soapy, and with the same faux/rough leather smell in Bogart Pour Homme, with a dash of the amber and cinnamon mix from Obsession lurking in the background. Longevity is great just like the original Open, minimum of eight hours. Projection would be about six to 12 inches, but consistent. When I move I catch whiffs of it, and if I double back to where I was a minute or two ago I can catch a hint of it in the air so that is a plus. It's got a sweet musky smell to it unlike the original as well. I'm not going to say it's light and airy but it doesn't feel like a dense, slap in the nose powerhouse. If Jean Claude Ellena blended Bogart and Obsession then added his own touch, I'm fairly certain it would resemble Black. A lighter, more ephemeral powerhouse while still retaining lasting power.

Open had a great green/dry/herbal development, leading to a dry base of patchouli, tobacco and vetiver. It's unique and a pleasure to wear. Open Black is sweeter, darker, more cold weather appropriate, but since I already have Bogart Pour Homme and Obsession, it's kind of redundant. On the bright side it smells far less synthetic than Bogart, and less cloying than Obsession, and it's far more versatile simply because it's not as loud and screechy while still retaining the longevity and projection. Since I'm going to limit my wardrobe to 50 bottles, I won't keep Black, Obsession, and Bogart, and I think I would be comfortable eliminating Obsession and Bogart in order to retain black

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Default Re: Roger Gallet Open Black

Also own Open Black as well as Open White and the Original Open. Love all three. Nice write-up on Black!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

what is open white like?

Quote Originally Posted by conkhi View Post
    what is open white like?
    Not my words - "A woody, oriental fragrance for sophisticated men. Lively, dynamic, passionate & sensual. Top notes of Yuzu, Bergamot, Anise. Heart notes of Frankincense, violet. Base notes of Patchouli, Iris, Tonka Bean"
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

wow sounds nice...i like open so i was considering open black and open white

I blind bought both White and Black versions, since I like Open quite a bit. They're ok, not great flankers. Black is the better of the two, more recognizable as an Open flanker. White is a little fresh and chemical-ish for my taste. They're inexpensive enough, and least. Worth a sniff for R&G fans.

I owned Open the original long time ago but the other ones never heard about it where I can get those other White and Black, Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by trucupey20 View Post
    I owned Open the original long time ago but the other ones never heard about it where I can get those other White and Black, Thanks to all.
    Check the usual online retailers. I don't recall for sure but I think I got mine from FragranceX.

Well I just pull the trigger on both Black and White blind buys hope not disappointment me I remember the original being a little too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by trucupey20 View Post
    Well I just pull the trigger on both Black and White blind buys hope not disappointment me I remember the original being a little too much for me.
    Did you get good prices on both?

Yes I did on Overstock at 15.99 and 16.99 pretty good deal.