Code of Conduct

Default Lets talk Odori's Cuoio & Tabacco

OK, cat's out of the bag now, Odori fragrances are on deep liquidation on the interwebs.
    I did some reading on Tabacco and Cuoio and took the advice from alfarom in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    at these prices I'd buy Cuoio (two bottles) and Tabacco (just fo the sake)
    2 bottles of Cuoio and 1 bottle of Tabacco. I picked up all 3 bottles for $155 on BeautySpin.

Tabacco is the most realistic tobacco scent I've smelled.
    The tobacco leaf is humid, alive, oily, ripe, green, baking in the hot sun. Fantastic. Mix in the vanilla from Bvlgari Black, and you've got it. Wow!
    It is so good at both non-sweetened vanilla and tobacco that I sold my best vanilla and best tobacco fragrances in my wardrobe because it does better than both of those combined.
    Its quite a ripe fragrance. Not a daily wearer but a perfect treat for casual indulgence.

I read quite a bit about Cuoio, and I was generally confused about what to think about it without smelling it.
    The expectation was to not expect leather, but expect a great fragrance.
    I've seen it compared to Helmut Lang's Cuiron, but I dont see it. To me Cuiron has a tea like feel to it along with a bit of smoky birch tar and suede.
    I dont think there is a leather note in Cuoio thats familiar. Its a bright, but spicy fragrance to start.
    At the opening to middle the best way I can describe it is, it smells like a brand new brown leather belt with rough rawhide edges. Its slightly sweetened (honey) like suede. Ginger seems melded together with the honey note.
    Not the modern leather you're used to like Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather or Tuscan Leather.
    The texture of the fragrance is like velvet. So silky, like the feel of suede leather on the back of your hand.
    I think there is a lot of blending going on in this, and I think it involves musk.
    I've smelled this aroma chemical in Montale's Aoud Musk. Combine that with a bit of amber and cleaned up patchouli and you've got the dry down.
    An interesting scent. I can see the confusion about whether its leather or not. I can see the argument both ways, but it does conjure up brown leather for the first couple of hours and suede texture the remaining hours.

A couple of things about these fragrances:
    My first couple of sprays out of Cuoio were not quite right. Im not sure how old these bottles are, but I think the juice in the straw was not turned but oxidized. All I got first couple of sprays were straight thick, snowball musk. Today, wearing it, much more filled out, as described above.

The bottles. If you buy a bottle I would keep the cardboard spacer in, rather than remove it. I was taking the bottle out of my wardrobe when I bumped the frame.
    It started to disconnect from the wood frame.
    The bottle is only held up by 2 dabs of glue, so I had to super glue it back up. It held, but I will be keeping the cardboard spacer in for both of my bottles now.
    From Odori:
    Wooden frame which frames each of glass bottles is made with a special technique, which demands a whole process before it is attached to glass.
    I call malarkey. Its glued and probably pressed up with the cardboard spacer to dry. Dont throw that piece out!

Dont try smelling these up close, its not pleasant. I actually gave myself a headache a couple of nights ago which is rare for me. They're strong up close, but the sillage is where its at. I spray both of these away from my face.

Enjoy to those that are getting in on these great prices. 2 excellent scents currently in my top 20.
    Last edited by MegaMav; Yesterday at 02:09 AM.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective
    Latest Review: Issey Miyake - L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2014

My Sales Thread - FB's For Sale: Hermes - Bel Ami - Updated 06/29

Default Re: Lets talk Odori's Cuoio & Tabacco

I'm interested in tobacco and vanilla notes. where can I find this "liquidation"? I can't find it.
    For Trade:
    Comme de Garcons 2 by Comme de Garcons - 9 ml/0.3 oz (New)
    L!VE by Lacoste - 40 ml/1.7 oz (Used twice/Tester/No box)
    Night by Perry Ellis - 1.7 fl oz/50 mL (Used once)

Send me a message if interested

Quote Originally Posted by The Islands View Post
    I'm interested in tobacco and vanilla notes. where can I find this "liquidation"? I can't find it.
    +1

I'd like to buy these two!

Thank you for your detailed assessment of these.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thank you for your detailed assessment of these.
    Thank you for enabling all of us hednic.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective
    Latest Review: Issey Miyake - L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2014

My Sales Thread - FB's For Sale: Hermes - Bel Ami - Updated 06/29

Great descriptive thoughts. I just purchased Herod so I'm not sure Tabacco would be necessary for me.

For me Gil Odori is the one I want along with Iris.

Glad you enjoying these! As for me TM Pure havane gets the best daily use category and Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford for the occasional use on the tobacco note scene!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I threw the cardboard spacers a day after receiving the bottles a few yrs back. Bottles are still safe.

Nice reviews Mega.

I found these at Winners in Montreal a couple of years ago - very nice scents.

I've tried both and like Tabacco the most. Cuoio smelled good on my wrist, but I didn't like it as much when I gave it a full wearing. I didn't end up purchasing either.

Sound Scents

Honestly I never got a tea association with Cuiron. It smells like plum and liquid suede to me. Cuiron is my favorite leather and an absolute masterpiece. I *am* in the camp that has Cuoio in the same general suede-like ballpark (though not in any way a clone). I like it a lot and when Cuiron was discontinued it was a viable alternative for those who missed out, but now that Cuiron is back on the market it is unnecessary as Cuiron is leagues better, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Chromatics by Aramis

Cuioi and Cuiron aren't clones.

But both divine in their own right.

But yes they are similar but not clones.
    They're not like Silver Mountain Water and Cool Water.
    for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Cuoio wears more like an expensive 'imperial leather' kind of soap to me. Very clean almost astringent smelling. I honestly don't get the suede connection either.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Cuoio wears more like an expensive 'imperial leather' kind of soap to me. Very clean almost astringent smelling. I honestly don't get the suede connection either.
    ^ I agree with this. I just got my bottles only 2 days after ordering (seriously rapid fulfillment by BeautySpin on these). The closest association I had when spraying Cuoio is Bel Ami (still a rather remote comparison), but a much cleaner, "newer" slightly soapy variation. The soap seems to amp up a bit into the dry down. Feels like I'd just used one of the most expensive bar soaps from a 5 star hotel. Truly wonderful. I can see why alfarom is so enamored with this one. Oh and the "Bel Ami" echo I experienced in the beginning fades away into the dry down. Overall, very glad I got this one.

Tabacco... wow, well I have to say this one surprised me. The start is rough. Very "chemical" like to my nose. You have to let it dry down before really taking it in. Not your typical tobacco note, not at all. Very "green and alive" as MegaMav describes. It's a little odd to me, as I've not smelled anything quite like it before. I'm not sure about it. Will definitely need more time. But... all in all, you can tell these are decent quality fragrances and the discount rate makes them attainable with a smile (I probably wouldn't pay much more than $80~$90 USD for these).

EDIT: Thought it a bit odd... Odori had a massive discounting back in 2012, as seen in older Basenotes threads. Same $60 for 100ml. I guess it was a kicker to ignite interest and sales? I thought I saw some post somewhere that these Odori fragrances are being discontinued. Can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by cytherian; Yesterday at 09:11 PM.
    Some favorites: Pasha Incense Royale, Chopard (Oud Malaki, Noble Vetiver), Amouage (Epic Man, Tribute), Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL (M7, Kouros (1st)), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Hermes (vintage: Bel Ami, Equipage), Chanel (vintage: Antaeus, Pour Monsieur (+CC), Egoiste (+CC)), Tiffany For Men, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, Guerlain (Heritage, L'Homme Intense, LIDGE), Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Etro (Palais Jamais, Gomma, Vetiver, Shaal Nur), Davidoff Zino (1st), Acqua di Parma (Assoluta 2011, Essenza, Intensa Oud), Gianfranco Ferre For Man (1st), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Calvin Klein Obsession (vintage), Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque (Hesperides, Tam Dao EDP), Byredo (Accord Oud, Baudelaire)
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori