Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Let's talk about Neil Morris

Hi all-

NoCalFragranceReviewer has very generously shared a large cache of Neil Morris samples with me so I am reviving this topic. Read backward to recap the prior discussions as we continue.

I have 23 samples from the hundred or more perfumes that Neil Morris has created over the 30-odd years of work as an independent perfumer. The first eight are described as the “Signature Collection” on the Neil Morris website.

Aegean
    Afire
    Clear
    Coral
    Gotham
    Rainflower
    Storm
    Zephyr

A Rose is a Rose
    Amazon Jungle
    Ambra Obscura
    Asea
    Chasing Autumn
    Dreaming California
    First Snow
    India Cafe
    Manipur
    Midnight at the Crossroads Cafe
    Midnight Flower
    Midnight Tryst
    Moment
    Only You
    Phantom Rain
    Prowl
    Renaissance
    Rose Tattoo
    Rumi
    Seaflower
    Scrumptious
    Sherlock
    Vanilla d’ete

Bavard and Teardrop are on deck to receive the samples next, and it may be possible to add others if the samples hold out. If you own or have tested any of these scents, or if you have any thoughts about the line, please do not hesitate to jump in.

Here is my first round of testing notes--

Aegean
    A fresh citrus and herbs scent that projects a rather stereotypically masculine vibe so that it is not something I would personally wear. If that’s your desired effect, however, this would be a pleasing scent on a hot day. The herbal notes are muted and not very distinct, so I do not perceive the stated lavender and “basil blossom” [sic], just a somewhat generic men's cologne/Irish Spring/Mennen feeling, but my nose is not very discriminating when it comes to this genre of scent. Not especially potent or long lasting.

Afire
    At first, I get a vivid impression of broiled pineapple slices. Gradually, Afire becomes sweeter and less hesperidic. Initially, its sweetness is dry and somewhat airy, and there’s a very light woody base. The middle phase reminds me of children’s vitamins with their Sweetart candy plus umami, meaty smell. Unfortunately for me, Afire’s late and intensely persistent drydown features that thick, sticky sweet musk or synthetic "patchouli" found in many designer feminine perfumes. I had to learn that this note was to be called "patchouli" because it does not smell like natural patchouli in any way to me. Afire has that "patchouli" perhaps some ethyl maltol too, but I didn’t perceive any of the stated frankincense or vanilla.

Clean
    Does what it says on the tin. Clean smells like an expensive bodywash or shampoo, with indefinite floral notes and some white laundry musk. If you don’t want to smell as though you might be daring to wear perfume, Clean would be an excellent choice. I did not get any of the bitter/citrus grapefruit promised in the note list.

Coral
    A floral-fruity musk that feels very stereotypically feminine. The well-named Coral reminds me of any number of peachy-hued designer scents that I’ve sniffed at the department stores, as well as the extremely popular BBW Sweet Pea concoction. That said, I have to say that Coral is really very pretty, with a rather fetching and well-wrought balance of citrus, florals, and fruit. The muskiness doesn’t become leaden and cloying, which I find happens in many of the designer fruitchouli drydowns.

Gotham
    Gotham reminded me very much of Shalimar initially, with opening notes of citrus, oily leather and vanillin. Gotham transitions decisively away from Shalimar in the drydown, eventually becoming a rich and enveloping amber perfume with sweet tobacco. The middle phase offers some beautifully complex narcissus. Gotham evolves in the most satisfying way on the skin, very much like a vintage perfume, and therefore I feel that its ingredients must be of a high standard. (I was bracing for the WAC sledgehammer to hit me in the nose, and it never did.) Gotham is a beautiful composition and very long lasting.

Rainflower
    At the start, Rainflower suggests the smell of an expensive shampoo combined with a cool gust of air from a florist’s refrigerator. Lots of hedione with its watery jasmine feeling, a good lilac note, what I think of as LOTV, and, yes, perhaps, a delicate gardenia (and I love gardenia). If you do not wear florals, you might like this, since there is nothing too sweet, heady, or indolic in this bouquet. Vetiver provides some bitterness and backbone. Rainflower is notable for its longevity, and its white musk drydown remains fresh and clean smelling to the end. Both of these features are uncommon in this type of composition, so Rainflower is worth a test. It reminded me of En Passant, but I like Rainflower better since it does not have the too-vivid cucumber/honeydew note that I find in En Passant.

More to come (17 more, to be exact). Thanks again to NoCalFragranceReviewer for sharing all of these samples and sparking our discussions.

Freed from BN Institution

It's my pleasure to have you Grayspoole as well as others to experience some nice offerings from Neil Morris. These fragrances you don't find on the counters in department stores, so it's a nice breath of fresh air. I look forward to reading your thoughts and others, which ones stand out to you. Happy sniffing everyone
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Thanks grayspoole for adding your impressions here, l enjoyed reading them. lt's good to see that this thread lives on!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Hi all-

Round Two of Testing

As I’ve noted, there are a LOT of Neil Morris samples in this pass. My notes will be brief, especially since some of these perfumes do not seem to be currently available for sale. I will provide a wrapup and ranking at the end. Neil Morris is such a prolific perfumer that I am trying to figure out if he has a “style” and how best to describe it. But perhaps perfumers do not need to have a style...?

Storm (2007) (Available on NM website)
    Given its name, Storm opens surprisingly sweet and fruity, then a dry vetiver/petrichor note emerges. The base relies on a husky, heavy aquatic musk. The sweetness persists with a hint of vanilla-scented plastic doll head, which is not my thing.

Zephyr (2007) (Available on NM website)
    Bright citrus opening evolves into a synthetic orange /vitamin note. I am picking up this gourmand “orange” ingredient in a number of these compositions. Some indistinct floral notes. I did not find the sticky candied quality of Zephyr refreshing.

Amazon Jungle (Not currently listed on NM website)
    A Zest soap opening, with lots of lime and soapy aldehydes, backed up by a faint smell of fetid undergrowth or animalic musk.

A Rose is a Rose (2011) (Not currently listed on NM website)
    This opens with a lovely velvety damask rose note, but it turns sharp rather quickly with astringent aldehydes, a synthetic peony note. and the mineral-rich scent of freshly turned soil. I love just about any rose-centered composition, but this one left me rather puzzled--it seemed like a reluctant, ambivalent rose to me.

Ambra Obscura 2013 (Not currently listed on NM website)
    A very dense, rich amber with a strong immortelle/maple syrup note. This smells very close to Goutal’s Ambre Fetiche (which I own and enjoy wearing) but Ambra Obscura may a little less smoky and a little more skanky.

Asea 2011 (Not currently listed on NM website)
    I don’t like pungent, cloying aquatics, so this was a pleasant surprise. Fresh citrus and herbal opening that eases down quickly into an airy, powdery citrus cologne.

Chasing Autumn (2014) (Not currently listed on NM website)
    A thick pall of Liquid Smoke dominates this scent, and one small spray almost made my eyes water. In time, the charred wood smell thins out and I can begin to detect some faint conifer and resinous notes, but it is still mostly smoke on my skin. Not wearable for me. I washed it off after an hour, and I would feel like I had just run out of a burning building.

Dreaming California (2016) (Not currently listed on NM website)
    Bright opening, with bergamot and a light tangy sweet fruitiness. Luckily, this does not have the candy orange ingredien that I dislike in some other Morris compositions, but the peony/cherry blossom stuff. The base is blond woods and light musk. This feels very much like a designer feminine and reminds me of Coral.

First Snow n.d. (Not currently listed on NM website)
    Sweet aquatic opening, with a suggestion of petrichor. Develops into an astringent aldehydic scent, accompanied by a sharp Superglue note. Improves greatly as it dries down to a light woody musk, with a hint of greenness.

India Cafe n.d. (Not currently listed on NM website)
    Aromatic chai spices…cinnamon and cardamon, tea, light nag champa, sandalwood, and frankincense. A transparent incense composition that I found I enjoyed very much.

Let's see...fifteen to go! If you have experienced any of these scents, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Basenotes Plus

And here at last is my third and final round of testing..

Manipur n.d (Not currently listed on NM website)
    At the start, this has a big jasmine with a toothsome gourmand quality, slightly smoky and incensey whike remaining primarily floral. Gradually, the smokiness intensifies, with an undercurrent of some sweetness. Levels out into a moderately sweet, smoky amber.

Midnight at the Crossroads Cafe (Not currently listed on NM website)
    Produced as part of a 2013 “Devilscent” project. I’m a little hazy on all of the details of this effort but Ellen Covey also participated and created her Dev 1,2,3,4. (You can read more on Covey’s blog here: http://perfumenw.blogspot.com/2013/0...perfumers.html
    For a devilish scent, MCC is unexpectedly quiet and muted. The topnotes include something sharp, perhaps vetiver. There is a faint, natural smelling animalic element in here. Then, I get an extremely vivid flash of embers and ash, which subsides quckly.

Midnight Flower (Still available as part of the Vault Collection)
    Opens with a burst of hairspray/aldehydes that feels somewhat unbalanced. Not sure what ingredient is creating this effect or what benefit it is offering to this composition, since it merely fades, without leaving behind a noticeable waxy or powdery aldehydic texture. This needs time to settle down. When it does, it turns into a pretty green-leaning floral with notes of fig/stemone and Juicyfruit gum.

Midnight Tryst (2008) (Still available as part of The Vault Collection)
    Medicinal opening, a little like a mixture of Hibiclens and Red Hot candya. A light scent with little projection, so I am not getting much more than that from one spray from thie sample vial. I see that other reviewers praise this scent’s animalic base, comparing it to MKK and Tabac Blond, and I kept waiting for that phase to appear on my skin, but sadly it never did.
    Moment n.d. (No longer available on website)
    Cookie dough made of sweet chocolate with a dirty musky undertone.

Only You (No longer available on website)
    Citrus, fresh, herbal and somewhat reminiscent of Aegean, which is still available

Phantom Rain (No longer available on website)
    An aquatic scent with a somewhat heavy white musk and a touch of salt.

Prowl (Available as part of Vault Collection)
    I immediately thought Prowl felt like a chypre, with a tartness balanced against sweetness and bitterness. Opens with a strong berry note which gradually transforms into a syrupy tuberose note. Throughout, I get a faint whiff of romano cheese. Turning to the published note lists for this scent, I am pleasantly surprised to see oakmoss listed. This settles down into a satisfyingly complex fruity floral chypre.

Renaissance 2017 (No longer available on website)
    Shampoo, Crayola crayons, and then gradually a resinous green note.

Rose Tattoo (No longer available on website)
    A very light and girlish briar rose scent, with some greenery. I was hoping for Anna Magnani but I think I got Ariana Grande

Rumi 2009 (Available as part of Vault Collection)
    Extremely boozy, so boozy in fact that at first I wondered if the name was a play on the word “rum” Then, I get chocolate and Vegamite. In time, this scent smooths out and the ingredients begin to mesh together as a warm amber.

Seaflower (No longer available on website)
    Fresh, aquatic floral. Similar to Rainflower which is still available in the Signature Collection

Scrumptious 2011 (Available as part of Vault Collection)
    This is a fruity floral in what I can now see is Morris’ characteristic style, not too sweet or weighed down with syrupy ingredients and enlivened with touches of greenery. The flowers here are mostly watery peony to my nose.

Sherlock (No longer available on website)
    Opens with a big slug of smoke or cade, slowly turns into a smoky amber

Vanilla d’ete (No longer available on website)
    A light, sweet, fresh amber.

It’s difficult to sum up a test of 23 different perfumes, many of which are discontinued at this time. And that is less than half of the 73 Neil Morris perfumes listed in the Basenotes database. Clearly, Morris is a talented and creative perfumer, making many satisfying, complex, and wearable perfumes. None of the samples was weird or simplistic, or overdosed with WAC. My favorites from those I tested were, in no particular order,

Gotham
    Rainflower
    Ambra Obscura
    Prowl
    India Cafe

But I have to admit that none of the samples really captured my imagination. As I tested, from time to time, I wished that Morris would put his all into producing a magnum opus, a definitive statement of his perfume style, and then go out and market the hell out of that one perfume, but I realized that Morris defines himself by his bespoke approach. Neil Morris’ work is focused on the precise occasion, specific memories, and a relationship with an individual client. He doesn’t seem to be into prescribing any particular smell for anyone, and I can respect that. I think it would be fun to do a custom perfume consultation.

Thanks once again, NCalFragranceReviewer, for sharing these samples. I enjoyed exploring Neil Morris’ work. Bavard is up next and I am looking forward to reading what he thinks of these.

A job well done grayspoole. Thanks for all your well written impressions, it will certainly be helpful for those who want to learn more about Neil Morris fragrances specifically the ones that aren't available on his website. The ones that aren't available on his website are his later releases, stuff that was released between 2013-2017 I believe.

I seriously think Neil Morris should update his website, it hasn't been updated in many years. Since that time Neil has made a lot of new fragrances which sadly hasn't all been documented or detailed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    A job well done grayspoole. Thanks for all your well written impressions, it will certainly be helpful for those who want to learn more about Neil Morris fragrances specifically the ones that aren't available on his website. The ones that aren't available on his website are his later releases, stuff that was released between 2013-2017 I believe.

I seriously think Neil Morris should update his website, it hasn't been updated in many years. Since that time Neil has made a lot of new fragrances which sadly hasn't all been documented or detailed.
    Thank you, N.CAL, for sharing all of those samples with us. I agree: it would be great to know more about the latest NM fragrances, either via the website or social media. On the other hand, it is also refreshing to see a perfumer who just seems to enjoy making perfumes. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz seems to operate in a similar way.

P.S. The samples are on their way to Bavard, as of this morning.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    NoCalFragranceReviewer has very generously shared a large cache of Neil Morris samples with me so I am reviving this topic. Read backward to recap the prior discussions as we continue.

I have 23 samples
    I have been trying some of these today:

1. Tropical Lagoon - I had tried this one before. It came as a full size bottle in the care package I received from Grayspoole. I get a room air freshener vibe from it that makes it smell more like an air freshener than a perfume. I like it as an air freshener type smell.

2. Seaflower - Again, this smells like Neil Morris is trying to get contract work for commercial products. This is too different in style, compared to perfume I'm used to, for me to feel comfortable. This is another room spray type smell, to my nose. These fragrances are too challenging for me.

Ah - I see I might do well to focus on Grayspoole favorites and / or the signature collection, so I'm trying:

3. Rainflower - A more promising opening, like real perfume, a white floral. Nice and stinky white flowers. Within a couple minutes, some of that Neil Morris too-muchness is creeping in. Will update.

I think Rainflower is a little similar to Ocean Rain. I just gave my sample of that to Brooks Otterlake. Maybe it's a tenuous connection, but I think someone who likes Ocean Rain might like Rainflower.

Someone in passing mentioned that this fragrance is used in the sensitive skin version of Off.

4. Sherlock - This one looked fun, but it came out smelling like Campho-Phenique, unfortunately. It does get better from there, with a smoky meats smell. It smells a little like a fire place.

5. Rose Tattoo - A patchouli rose. A combination I like. Antaeus and Ho Hang Club are under this umbrella, but I like the two notes even more in focus. This is a good effort. I think I might like this. I was getting used to not liking these. The naming is good.

I think I might be getting the Campho-Phenique in this one, but only a light touch. I'm gathering that it's a typical component of the house mix.

Based on wearing it so far, Rose Tattoo is the first winner from this set, a nice musty rose. Not something I'd wear, but an interesting effort at a genre I like.

6. Gotham - A nice powdery fragrance. At times I get a cherry pipe tobacco smell. The powder reminds me of Shalimar. I like it. This seems especially likable and/or approachable compared to anything else so far. Maybe it's overly simple.

Basenotes Plus

I enjoyed reading your first round of comments, Bavard. Our views seem to align on some of these. I realized that I forgot to test Tropical Lagoon (the one in the bottle). Several definitely fall into the fresh/aquatic/floral/functional category, and I found them mostly inoffensive, as the names would suggest. I found the ambers/spicy/"oriental"-leaning compositions more interesting.

Forza!

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I enjoyed reading your first round of comments, Bavard. Our views seem to align on some of these. I realized that I forgot to test Tropical Lagoon (the one in the bottle). Several definitely fall into the fresh/aquatic/floral/functional category, and I found them mostly inoffensive, as the names would suggest. I found the ambers/spicy/"oriental"-leaning compositions more interesting.

Forza!
    The aquatic/floral/functional types aren't my favorites.

I'm trying 7. India Cafe, and it's a pass for me. I get that it might smell like a cafe in India, if the cafe had the right kind of pastries, but I'm not interested in smelling like that. I would want my clothing to air out after I'd been in the place.

I'm trying 8. Prowl. It's more my speed, compared to most of these and especially compared to India Cafe. This is a more typically feminine fruity floral, but with an undertone of funk - mostly a white flowers funk. It can come too close to smelling like a cleaning product. I'm getting images of shiny tile floors in a hallway that's recently been mopped, and yet, it is finely poised between perfume and scented household product - ultimately leaning toward perfume, to my nose, and one of the better efforts so far. Thumbs up. I like the name. 8.5 out of 10. I wish slightly more could be done with this. I'm feeling much more invested in this one than any of the others.

After wearing it a while, I'm realizing Prowl smells like Chanel Coco - they share a sexy, clean laundry smell, and a floral note.

Prowl veers more unisex or even masculine in the base. I'm a fan.

I'm trying a little more 8. Prowl and also revisiting 6. Gotham. Gotham has a promising masculine opening, similar to Chanel Antaeus. This is starting like another winner, more masculine than last time, at least with Prowl in the air.

From Gotham and Prowl, I can say I like Neil Morris.

I'm going to try some of these on paper.

9. Midnight Flower. It smells nice, like feminine shampoo, but also like dried flowers. It's a contender for skin testing. After some time on paper, it smells like a well-kept bathroom in a country home in southern France.

10. Midnight at the Crossroads Cafe. I can smell that this has something in it that I would not like wearing, so the paper testing has successfully saved me from it. It's a smoky synthetic oud type smell. After some time on paper, it smells like a barbecue pit. I do like barbecue. It's also a little like beef jerky.

11. Afire. No need for skin testing. It smells like fruit punch. A surprisingly faithful fruit punch recreation. After some time on paper, the fruit has faded and it's more floral.

12. Phantom Rain. The smell matches the name. This could be ok to wear. I think I might have a love-hate thing with one of the notes, maybe from an old girlfriend. After some time on paper, it smells like hedione / Acqua di Gio, but a nice, soft version. Not really for me, but pretty ok stuff.

13. Vanille d'Ete (Summer Vanilla). No need to test on skin. I think there's room for boozy vanillas in the world, but they need more of an oak moss backing, and no harsh woods. After some time on paper, I can smell some greenness to make the "summer" label match, but overall I'm not liking it, an overly sweet vanilla.

14. Scrumptious. This is interesting. It would be great for the right person. Not anyone who's sensitive to any smells, like me. This is loud. Modern, chemical loud, but still nice. It is scrumptious. A sexy option for someone who doesn't mind modern, loud, synthetic-smelling fragrances. People who like Angel, for example. After some time on paper, it's definitely not for me.

It's decent, creative, interesting stuff. I don't feel the need to wear any of these (9 through 14) after re-smelling them.

I'm trying 10. Midnight at the Crossroads Cafe. I was just going to do a round of paper sampling, but this time this one called out to be on skin. It had an interesting funk when I took off the nozzle. On skin, the funk and sweetness is a bit much. Fun, but on the crazy side. Candied fruit and woods might be a couple notes to describe this one.

Pineapple? It's just a note in the mix, and it's mostly sweet woods, but there might be a pineapple note in this as well. It's a strange mix. Animalic. Not quite Rocky Horror Picture Show, but getting there.

Ultimately, I sort of liked this. I love big animalic fragrances. There are several in this sample set. This perfume has some strangeness, but in the end, it's a lovely warm animalic. It smells like a banned perfume. Eventually, anything with this kind of animalic note will be in demand.

I'm planning which of these to wear before I ship them to Teardrop. I'm liking the smell of Midnight Tryst, A Rose is a Rose, Renaissance, and Aegean.

This is a treasure trove. There is a big variety of interesting fragrances. Some are awful. What is up with 15. Amazon Jungle? It's so much an air freshener smell - it makes me laugh, sure - but was that the intent?

Trying 16. Aegean: Irish Spring soap. Not interesting enough to be something I'd wear. Eventually the base of this is irritating. Fake smelling. Like a room spray in Vegas, and not one of the good ones. I like the good ones.

Trying 17. A Rose is a Rose: I like rose fragrances including this one. If I made my own perfumes, I would want to feature rose, and the rose the way it's done here is part of the effect I'd like to capture - a strong, slightly masculine, powdery rose. I might want to build on this with the right patchouli note while keeping the rose nearly as prominent. This dried down to an animalic. It smelled like a realistic, but synthetic, musk.

18. Renaissance. This is complex. A gentleman’s fragrance with a twist. I like it. It’s somewhat similar to Guerlain Heritage.

19. Midnight Tryst. I had wanted to wear this from from smelling the nozzle, and it has proven to be interesting. Ultimately, it's slightly scary. It's too much. What is it too much of? Something woody, maybe, but medicinal. There's an animal feel to it, a nice fuzziness. But it's taking my mind to first aid - no. Hold on. It's diaper rash. This is the smell of the white-colored stuff to treat diaper rash. The midnight tryst is changing a diaper - all too true. These perfumes are about real life, and have an intense sense of humor.

I believe, from Grayspoole's posts, that the total is 24 samples including the sample that's bigger. I will attempt to ascertain five I have not sampled. Wait - I'm counting 32 (the are two samples of scrumptious, which would make it 33 if I counted each of them). I see now that Grayspoole has "23" as the number of fragrances listed in the non-signature collection. There are another 8 listed in the signature collection, and the bottle of Tropical Lagoon - so 32 fragrances total.

I'm going to pack and ship at 19/32. I really do like these overall. The whole set smells nice. I had a 10-pack of Roja Dove samples, and the package itself smelled like a synthetic mess. This package pulses with light sweetness and animalics. It's nice - maybe nicer than any one of the fragrances. I think Gotham was my favorite.

The package has now shipped. Thanks to N. Cal Fragrance Reviewer and Grayspoole for providing a sampling opportunity. It is a mysterious set of samples - I know nothing of its origin story. I used the same big box to ship, and paid around $24, I think it was. It's a lovely cosmetic sample, even if it's only worth $10! I hope it makes it in good time, Teardrop!
    Last edited by Bavard; 2nd October 2019 at 12:44 PM.

Blog Entries

The package has arrived safely here, thanks to Bavard!

lt will take me a long time to get through sampling all 33 of the perfumes contained herein, but l'll post here as & when l get around to them...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    lt will take me a long time to get through sampling all 33 of the perfumes contained herein, but l'll post here as & when l get around to them...
    I look forward to hearing your impressions and which ones you would consider as favorites.

Blog Entries

Finally getting started on the generously-provided new stash of samples that l now have, although as N.CAL rightly surmised elsewhere, it'll take me a month of Sundays to get through them all! There are 12 here that l already tried, but that still leaves 20 that l haven't.

Today l've been wearing First Snow, which isn't on Neil's website or in the basenotes Directory:

This opens with a coniferous note that has a cold feel, like a pine forest in winter, & there's a leathery undertone like birch tar. l also get the kind of inky/disinfectant-like vibe that narcissus has. After fifteen minutes l detect a citrussy note, & then one hour in it unexpectedly morphs into sweet, tropical fruit! Perhaps this is papaya, a note of which l've noticed Neil seems quite fond. Another hour later there's sandalwood, & as the drydown continues l get an oriental-style base of warm, sweet amber & musk. Eight hours in it's still going, but has settled very close to the skin.

That opening phase is not my cup of tea, but this one certainly develops in interesting & unexpected ways! Who knew that snow could smell like tropical fruit?

Finally getting started on the generously-provided new stash of samples that l now have, although as N.CAL rightly surmised elsewhere, it'll take me a month of Sundays to get through them all! There are 12 here that l already tried, but that still leaves 20 that l haven't.

Today l've been wearing First Snow, which isn't on Neil's website or in the basenotes Directory:

This opens with a coniferous note that has a cold feel, like a pine forest in winter, & there's a leathery undertone like birch tar. l also get the kind of inky/disinfectant-like vibe that narcissus has. After fifteen minutes l detect a citrussy note, & then one hour in it unexpectedly morphs into sweet, tropical fruit! Perhaps this is papaya, a note of which l've noticed Neil seems quite fond. Another hour later there's sandalwood, & as the drydown continues l get an oriental-style base of warm, sweet amber & musk. Eight hours in it's still going, but has settled very close to the skin.

That opening phase is not my cup of tea, but this one certainly develops in interesting & unexpected ways! Who knew that snow could smell like tropical fruit?
    A job well done teardrop I can't remember if I detected some of those notes that you've mentioned since it has been a couple of years since my sampling binge on Neil Morris. Like grayspoole, I enjoy reading your Neil Morris impressions. Looking forward to seeing more of these impressions... slowly but eventually

Blog Entries

Thanks, N.CAL!

Blog Entries

Trying A Rose is a Rose today:

This is a powerful rose, but for the first couple of hours there's a kind of musty, turned, pot-pourri aspect to it. After this, there's a big dose of aldehydes & white musk, & for a while the rose takes a back seat. There's a whiff of smoke, & then at the five hour mark it all settles into a softer, sweeter, more jammy rose. Seven hours in it's still going, but closer to the skin.

l like roses, but tend to enjoy them more when their brighter, fresher aspects are emphasised. This one is rather too dense & musty for my taste.

Blog Entries

Rose Tattoo:

Maybe it's my skin, but l'm not getting any rose from this whatsoever. lt opens as a sharp patchouli, & there's a leathery, birch tar-like note that becomes more prominent as it dries down.

l've only had this on for a couple of hours, & l'll report back if there's any further development, but so far l'm not liking this at all. lt's dark, astringent & very masculine-leaning to my nose. lt might smell better on a guy!

ETA: Three hours in, l get a woodsy tobacco, & then finally there's a hint of rose, & later a mineral note in the base. lt's all fading out eight hours in.

This was more wearable for me after that three hour mark, but it still isn't the kind of rose that l enjoy.
    Last edited by teardrop; 20th March 2020 at 09:23 PM.

Rose Tattoo:

Maybe it's my skin, but l'm not getting any rose from this whatsoever. lt opens as a sharp patchouli, & there's a leathery, birch tar-like note that becomes more prominent as it dries down.

l've only had this on for a couple of hours, & l'll report back if there's any further development, but so far l'm not liking this at all. lt's dark, astringent & very masculine-leaning to my nose. lt might smell better on a guy!

ETA: Three hours in, l get a woodsy tobacco, & then finally there's a hint of rose, & later a mineral note in the base. lt's all fading out eight hours in.

This was more wearable for me after that three hour mark, but it still isn't the kind of rose that l enjoy.
    I vaguely remember both of these, I liked Rose Tattoo a little bit more of the two but it was a bit harsh early on. Once it settles it was a lot more enjoyable.

Blog Entries

Dreaming California:

This opens as a sunny, cheerful fruity floral with a hint of ocean breeze. l smell pear here, although it's not listed. After an hour, a vanilla sweetness underlies the fruit, & three hours in when the juicy fruit fades, warm, smooth floral notes come to the fore. At the six hour mark, the base is jasmine, vanilla & sandalwood, putting me in mind very much of my beloved Samsara! lt all begins to fade from here..

There is nothing objectionable about this one, but l'm not hugely fond of fruity fragrances, & l already have a good stock of Samsara to draw on whenever l need a jasmine & sandalwood hit.

Blog Entries

Coral:

Bright, sweet, fruity air freshener. One of the reviews here mentions that it has the smell of a candle store, & l totally get that. l even smell the wax used to make the candles, increasingly so as it dries down. Three hours in, the base is similar to that of Dreaming California, but this is more cloyingly fruity, & far less pleasant.

Dreaming California:

This opens as a sunny, cheerful fruity floral with a hint of ocean breeze. l smell pear here, although it's not listed. After an hour, a vanilla sweetness underlies the fruit, & three hours in when the juicy fruit fades, warm, smooth floral notes come to the fore. At the six hour mark, the base is jasmine, vanilla & sandalwood, putting me in mind very much of my beloved Samsara! lt all begins to fade from here..

There is nothing objectionable about this one, but l'm not hugely fond of fruity fragrances, & l already have a good stock of Samsara to draw on whenever l need a jasmine & sandalwood hit.
    I remember liking this one. My complaint is the performance, it stayed pretty close to the skin.

Blog Entries

Seaflower:

This opens as another fruity floral, but there's a cold, green & almost metallic vibe to this one. Two hours in, it's morphed into a milky & warmer floral, with the "sand accord" lending a suntan lotion-like feel. lt doesn't exactly say "sea" to me, though. Six hours in, it's very close to the skin.

The second phase here is pleasant, but those first two hours are really not my cup of tea.

Blog Entries

Midnight Flower:

This opens with a mix of strong aldehydes & orange peel, swiftly followed by indolic jasmine. The notes list mentions "melati blossom", which apparently means the unopened buds of jasmine sambac in Javanese, so that explains what l'm smelling. The fragrance develops into a thick, sweet tropical floral underpinned with patchouli & an animalic note, & slowly smooths out into a more milky, lactonic floral. Four hours in it's settled very close to the skin, there's a faint sandalwood in the base, & after eight hours it's almost faded out.

l enjoyed the drydown of this one, but that first hour was rather suffocatingly dense for such a warm day. l might prefer it in cooler weather...

Blog Entries

Amazon Jungle:

A scratchy herbal/woody/green thing, with some of that signature fruity papaya note l've noticed previously in Neil's fragrances. lt's pretty powerful for the first few hours, slowly softening into a more citrussy blend with a metallic tinge, rather like neroli. At the six hour mark, the base is a touch spicy, & eight hours in it's still going fairly strong.

This one is too green for my taste, & that metallic note gets a definite no from me.

Seaflower:

This opens as another fruity floral, but there's a cold, green & almost metallic vibe to this one. Two hours in, it's morphed into a milky & warmer floral, with the "sand accord" lending a suntan lotion-like feel. lt doesn't exactly say "sea" to me, though. Six hours in, it's very close to the skin.

The second phase here is pleasant, but those first two hours are really not my cup of tea.
    Seaflower was one of the more interesting ones which I liked but not something that I would be willing to reach for.

Amazon Jungle:

A scratchy herbal/woody/green thing, with some of that signature fruity papaya note l've noticed previously in Neil's fragrances. lt's pretty powerful for the first few hours, slowly softening into a more citrussy blend with a metallic tinge, rather like neroli. At the six hour mark, the base is a touch spicy, & eight hours in it's still going fairly strong.

This one is too green for my taste, & that metallic note gets a definite no from me.
    I was excited to try this one at the time but after wearing it I was less enthused by it.

Blog Entries

Tropical Lagoon:

This opens with juicy, tropical fruit, mostly pineapple to my nose, along with coconut. Over the first couple of hours the fruit fades, & it becomes more of a creamy-lactonic tropical floral with a suntan lotion vibe. l don't get anything aquatic or marine-like here; more of a warm sand kind of feel. Four hours in there's vanilla in the base, & after six hours it's still humming along nicely.

This isn't a sophisticated fragrance, but it's a fun & cheerful beachy scent, youthful & sweet, & would make a great mood lifter when one is longing for a tropical vacation. lt reminds me quite a bit of Golden Paradise by Hawaiian Tropic, without the ambery base. l already own a bottle of that one, but l think l could make room in my wardrobe for both.

Tropical Lagoon:

This opens with juicy, tropical fruit, mostly pineapple to my nose, along with coconut. Over the first couple of hours the fruit fades, & it becomes more of a creamy-lactonic tropical floral with a suntan lotion vibe. l don't get anything aquatic or marine-like here; more of a warm sand kind of feel. Four hours in there's vanilla in the base, & after six hours it's still humming along nicely.

This isn't a sophisticated fragrance, but it's a fun & cheerful beachy scent, youthful & sweet, & would make a great mood lifter when one is longing for a tropical vacation. lt reminds me quite a bit of Golden Paradise by Hawaiian Tropic, without the ambery base. l already own a bottle of that one, but l think l could make room in my wardrobe for both.
    This was the only bottle that I purchased from Neil. Unfortunately I never found myself wearing it so I decided to donate the juice a few individuals for a good cause. I came close to wanting to purchase Phantom Rain but I declined since I found other similar scents that I'd prefer to wear over it.

Blog Entries

Vanille d'Ete:

This opens with a note of soft fruits, with a slight mustiness, before a woody vanilla comes through. l don't find it overly sweet, but it is linear: the mustiness fades but the fruits remain. The projection is low to moderate, it's very close to the skin four hours in, & after six hours it's barely there.

My reaction to this one is a bit "meh". The fruitiness gives it a more autumnal rather than a summery feel, & l think it would make a suitably inoffensive work scent, but l've tried other vanillas that l much prefer to this one.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast