Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Let's talk about Neil Morris

Hello everyone! Finally delved into his fragrances after hearing about them so much on here. I blind bought three bottles (Midnight Tryst, Prowl, and Burnt Amber). I am planning a few more blind buys over the coming weeks as well. While I didn't get to try any of my bottles yet since they just came tonight, I did get to do some testing of the very generous samples that came with my order.

Here are some brief thoughts:

October: Absolutely gorgeous! Basically fall in a bottle. I was concerned it would be too much like Like This but it is very different. It's very seasonal, but I don't pay too much attention to that kind of thing anyway. I was planning a blind buy of this one after reading some comments here, and I'm glad my instincts were spot on.

Swoon: I'm honestly surprised I don't hear much talk about this one! I didn't know what to expect when I sprayed as the few reviews out there skewed negative, but am glad I tried it. I get a lot of green, some inoffensive animalics (civet), peony (I love this!) and it has quite a soapy character to it. I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting, and this is definitely a contender for a full day solo skin test and perhaps a buy.

Afire: The other one that really caught my attention in the samples. Lots of orange notes (and I'm lacking in citrus fragrances as many of them skew too fresh and light for me), caramel, incense and berries? An interesting combination but it works, on my skin. I've seen it compared to Grand Marnier and I get where they are getting those notes from. I wasn't sure if it had too much citrus for me at first, but was intrigued by this the entire ride. Will be doing a solo skin test of this one as well and, if it goes well, will spring for a bottle.

Cathedral: I seem to get more incense on this one than most, judging by reviews, and I definitely find it to be very leather forward. The sample seemed to be a bit ovewhelmed by those around it so will eventually give it another go and see if I am missing something. While it was pleasant and maybe I'd be more enthusiastic if I didn't own other incense fragrances, I own a lot and leathers are super hit or miss on my skin.

Coral: Pleasant enough but not for me. I'm not the best to judge very light, fresh fragrances because the majority of them just don't do it for me. Still, I always sample them, because there are those few exceptions that I fall in love with and rush to buy right away because it is a glaring hole in my collection. It's a very clean, fresh, calming fragrance but lacks the sort of oomph I look for in most bottles I buy. I did enjoy smelling the sweet pea note, though.

My next blind buys will be: Rumi, Dark Season, Gotham, formerly October which I skin tested but am still buying. Possibly Izmir.

Possible contenders based on samples: Afire, Swoon.

Will update my thoughts on the three I did buy as I wear it and any others I get samples or bottles of along the way.
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Blog Entries

Thanks for contributing your impressions here 24 Faubourg, l enjoyed reading them! And congrats on your excellent choice of bottles; Midnight Tryst & Prowl are among my favourites from this house. As l've said before in this thread, l definitely seem to have a preference for Neil's "darker" scents, & it sounds like you do, too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thanks for contributing your impressions here 24 Faubourg, l enjoyed reading them! And congrats on your excellent choice of bottles; Midnight Tryst & Prowl are among my favourites from this house. As l've said before in this thread, l definitely seem to have a preference for Neil's "darker" scents, & it sounds like you do, too.
    For his darker scents Chasing Autumn was one of my favorites. Sherlock and Midnight at the Crossroads Cafe both stood out to me as I recalled.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    For his darker scents Chasing Autumn was one of my favorites. Sherlock and Midnight at the Crossroads Cafe both stood out to me as I recalled.
    I was very interested in Chasing Autumn and MatCC but looks like both have been removed from the vault...
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    I was very interested in Chasing Autumn and MatCC but looks like both have been removed from the vault...
    Many of Neil's releases over the last few years were never even added to the website in the first place. lt might be worth dropping Neil an email if there's something in particular you'd like to try. l really wish he'd keep his website up to date; it's my only real bugbear with this house.

Scrumptious:

l get a whiff of amber, & then a lot of sticky, overripe fruit: mostly pear along with bergamot. Within fifteen minutes it gets even sweeter, literally as if someone poured an entire bowl of sugar over the fruit. One hour in it becomes more bearable as the sugary fruit fades & some vaguely floral notes come into play, underpinned by an ambery base. Four hours in though, it fades very close to the skin.

There are similarities with the previously sampled Vanille d'Ete here, but where l found that one quite wearable (if unexciting), this is way too sweet & fruity for my taste. A definite no from me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Many of Neil's releases over the last few years were never even added to the website in the first place. lt might be worth dropping Neil an email if there's something in particular you'd like to try. l really wish he'd keep his website up to date; it's my only real bugbear with this house.
    I've been in communication with him! I have a couple of others from his website I plan on buying first, but after that might ask if there's any chance he still has these bottles.
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

I always wonder why Neil doesn't update his website. I got all of his latest releases by my email conversations with him, some that have no mention anywhere online.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I got a chance to try the three full bottles I bought and really enjoyed all of them (as expected).

Midnight Tryst: Wow! Very animalic (in a non offensive kind of way), musky, warm oriental fragrance. It starts off pretty powerful but quickly quiets down into a dark yet sweet, seductive scent. It has a sort of addictive, vintage quality to it and I don't smell too much like this nowadays. The one downside for me is the longevity is not great on my skin. The price is great though so don't mind reapplying.

Prowl:A lovely white floral with a hint of civet. I'm not getting a super strong civet like some others seem to, but it's definitely there, purring beneath the flowers throughout the wear. Less animalic than Midnight Tryst on me yet equally as lovely. Again though, longevity is not great on my skin, but like Midnight Tryst, the price point makes reapplying more a non issue.

Burnt Amber: This is the one that really has fantastic longevity for me. It's a smoky amber fragrance with an interesting twist of a plum blossom note. I love cherry/plum blossom notes as well as anything smoky so this was definitely a winner. Longevity is great on my skin and if I needed a fragrance to last a considerable amount of time I'd go with this one.

I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite, honestly, and ordered three more bottles I'm expecting hopefully this week!
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Blog Entries

Moment:

Dark chocolate with nuts & a hint of mint, that segues after an hour into hot fudge sauce. The opening is a little thin, but after that one-hour mark it's richer, with more depth. There's vanilla, woods, & a distinctly almondy/cherry-like note, possibly heliotrope. Six hours in it fades, but l have been out digging in the garden which probably helped to burn it off.

This isn't something that l'd go out of my way to smell of, but l'd recommend it to all you gourmand lovers out there. lt's quite yummy, not sickly-sweet at all, & the nutty aspect adds a satisfying element that lifts it above the usual chocolate/vanilla style of gourmand fragrances.
    Last edited by teardrop; 12th May 2020 at 07:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Only You:

Another light & fruity thing, & there's that papaya note again, along with a slightly musty aspect. Fifteen minutes in, there are milky lactones, & as it progresses there's sandalwood in the base. After three hours the fruit fades, & six hours in it's quite soft, with no further development.

Again l'm finding that Neil's lighter, fruitier scents don't really move me, & l'm looking forward to trying the darker ones still waiting in the queue...

Oh, Moment sounds really interesting!

I just received another order (plus some samples) myself and maybe will leave impressions here when I do solo wears.
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    Oh, Moment sounds really interesting!

I just received another order (plus some samples) myself and maybe will leave impressions here when I do solo wears.
    Please do!

Blog Entries

Manipur:

The opening of this one is distinctly aldehydic, with an impression of an ambery oriental base, overlaid with something green & woody. For a moment l think it's patchouli, & then it hits me: celery! There must be some vetiver here, as it often smells like celery to me. l'm not a fan of this note, & so initially l'm put off, but fifteen minutes in there's a lovely smokiness, & after thirty minutes l begin to get whiffs of creamy tropical flowers, perhaps tiare? Four hours in, it's dried down to a gorgeously sweet, woody, tropical floral, & l'm hooked. After eight hours it's still going strong.

Manipur reminds me quite strongly of House of Matriarch's Toukka Ta Tao: another fragrance with a dark/green/woody opening that dries down into tropical flowers. l found that one equally perplexing but ultimately it grew on me, & l can see myself feeling the same about this one after a couple more wearings. lt's definitely my favourite so far of this latest round of sampling. Thumbs up!
    Last edited by teardrop; 21st May 2020 at 05:39 AM.

Manipur:

The opening of this one is distinctly aldehydic, with an impression of an ambery oriental base, overlaid with something green & woody. For a moment l think it's patchouli, & then it hits me: celery! There must be some vetiver here, as it often smells like celery to me. l'm not not a fan of this note, & so initially l'm put off, but fifteen minutes in there's a lovely smokiness, & after thirty minutes l begin to get whiffs of creamy tropical flowers, perhaps tiare? Four hours in, it's dried down to a gorgeously sweet, woody, tropical floral, & l'm hooked. After eight hours it's still going strong.

Manipur reminds me quite strongly of House of Matriarch's Toukka Ta Tao: another fragrance with a dark/green/woody opening that dries down into tropical flowers. l found that one equally perplexing but ultimately it grew on me, & l can see myself feeling the same about this one after a couple more wearings. lt's definitely my favourite so far of this latest round of sampling. Thumbs up!
    I remember liking this one, this one reminded me of a Creed at the opening.

Has anyone tried Rose Afire?

I have over the last few weeks sampled maybe 30+ Neil Morris fragrances, sadly many not listed on this website yet, but Rose Afire was really interesting to me and I'm curious if anyone else has any thoughts?

I hated it at first spray, but it eventually settled into something I really enjoyed. Tried it again and... it's a strong opening, but I really love it. I think I need a full bottle of this, among a few others I've tried.
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Just purchased samples of:

- Cafe
    - Dark Season
    - Fetish
    - Mystic Dragon
    - October

I've heard so many great things and I've enjoyed reading the threads on this house here, so I've jumped in.....see you in the deep end of the pool

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Just purchased samples of:

- Cafe
    - Dark Season
    - Fetish
    - Mystic Dragon
    - October

I've heard so many great things and I've enjoyed reading the threads on this house here, so I've jumped in.....see you in the deep end of the pool
    Hope you find some of these samples to your liking. There's a ton of fragrances that aren't disclosed on his website or online that you can get by sending him an email.

Neil also makes custom fragrances so if you're interesting in creating your own unique scent you can contact him. One BNer Jon Rodgers had a custom fragrance made.

Hope you find some of these samples to your liking. There's a ton of fragrances that aren't disclosed on his website or online that you can get by sending him an email.

Neil also makes custom fragrances so if you're interesting in creating your own unique scent you can contact him. One BNer Jon Rodgers had a custom fragrance made.
    I looked at his website, was very impressed at his catalogue of perfumes, and excitied to try them out. I was talking with 24 Faubourg about that, she mentioned that he has so many that aren't listed on his site, and that his is generous with his samples. I saw the section about a custom, he seems like an excellent perfumer. Can't wait to drive into the house a little more. Will definitely give some feedback on my samples.

Blog Entries

Looking forward to reading your impressions, piney!

Blog Entries

Renaissance:

Starts out as a very old-school "perfumey" fruity chypre, with a pronounced note of birch tar/leather, perhaps some patchouli, & something animalic in the background. Thirty minutes in it loses the fruit, there's a salty ambergris, & gradually the leather becomes more smooth & smoky. Four hours in, the base is a rich amber, & after seven hours it's soft but very persistent on my skin.

l'm not keen on the opening, but the drydown of this one is most enjoyable. lt's in the "darker" range of Neil's repertoire, in the same ballpark as Prowl & Rumi, & like those l can see myself reaching for this during the colder months. l wonder if Jon has tried this one?

Basenotes Plus

Renaissance:

Starts out as a very old-school "perfumey" fruity chypre, with a pronounced note of birch tar/leather, perhaps some patchouli, & something animalic in the background. Thirty minutes in it loses the fruit, there's a salty ambergris, & gradually the leather becomes more smooth & smoky. Four hours in, the base is a rich amber, & after seven hours it's soft but very persistent on my skin.

l'm not keen on the opening, but the drydown of this one is most enjoyable. lt's in the "darker" range of Neil's repertoire, in the same ballpark as Prowl & Rumi, & like those l can see myself reaching for this during the colder months. l wonder if Jon has tried this one?
    No, he hasn't !. Thanks for the heads up

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    You're welcome, Jon! As a true renaissance man, l think this one might be right up your street.

I echo N.Cal's hopes you enjoy this line - And as a rather huge NMF (and Neil Morris the person) fan, can I just say I've also gotten two bespoke scents from Neil - including one he still doesn't 'get' but agrees that it suits me - and I had the pleasure of hand-delivering Jon Rodgers' custom frag to him.

Enjoy, and keep us posted!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    I echo N.Cal's hopes you enjoy this line - And as a rather huge NMF (and Neil Morris the person) fan, can I just say I've also gotten two bespoke scents from Neil - including one he still doesn't 'get' but agrees that it suits me - and I had the pleasure of hand-delivering Jon Rodgers' custom frag to him.
    Memories are made of this

I think you'll enjoy Renaissance, I recalled liking this one when I sampled it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post

Enjoy, and keep us posted!
    I remember this story when Jon announced this special fragrance for the first time.

Memories are made of this
    Hear, hear!!!!!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

So I tried Cafe yesterday, very nice, smooth, reminds me of a quaint little cafe, dark rich chocolate and coffee very strong in the beginning, with a nice creamy and soft sweet cream, almost a French vanilla type of smell to round the fragrance off? The chocolate seems to carry throughout this scent, I find it extremely comfortable and relaxing, while also fulfilling a need for my sweet tooth.

Wearing Fetish today, had it on for about 4 or 5 hours now, I really like this one. I get a very clean leather feel to it. Almost like a doctors office feel to it. I'm having a hard time distinguishing what I'm smelling but I know that I really enjoy it. It's a little sweet, maybe from the Benzoin but not overly sweet. I feel like it's blended very well and I would definitely purchase this one without a doubt. I think I'm going to wear this one for the next couple of days in a row to try to get a better sense of it and hopefully wrap my head around it better. But upon first impressions I really do like this one, a fantastic leather if that's what it is considered.

Blog Entries

Ambra Obscura:

First of all, the juice in this sample vial is particularly thick, dark & oily, & the sprayer must be partially blocked because this stuff went everywhere when l sprayed it on my arm! l don't know if that's normal for this fragrance, or whether this is a very old sample and/or its ingredients are especially prone to this kind of ageing.

lt's pretty much a straight-up amber, with the merest trace of patchouli & woods, & very soft. Over the first couple of hours, the patchouli fades & a rich vanilla takes its place, producing a scent rather like sweetened hot milk. lt's not overly sweet though, & although the projection is low, it's still present on my skin after seven hours.

All in all a nice, uncomplicated amber that's worth a try if you can get a decent sample!

Blog Entries

Sherlock:

My first impression on sniffing this one is: Dettol disinfectant! lt has a mentholated, nose-clearing effect that whisks me right back to my childhood, & my mum treating the cuts on my knees after l'd fallen over. Along with this, there's a lot of smoke, a vegetal note that could be vetiver, pipe tobacco (appropriate for Mr Holmes), & an earthy, creosote-like accord which l often seem to smell in violet fragrances. The projection is among the strongest that l've experienced in this line, beginning to soften around three hours in. There isn't much development, except for a slow dissipation of the mentholated effect, & the smoke is present throughout. ln the far drydown, there are echoes of Habanita here.

This is certainly an interesting fragrance, & much more pleasant than it sounds, but l fear it leans too far to the masculine side for me. l think it might smell sensational on the right gentleman, though!

ETA: this lasted well over thirteen hours on me, & l was still getting whiffs of it when l woke during the night. l swear l detected a minty note at this point, too.
    Last edited by teardrop; 10th June 2020 at 12:27 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast