Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Blog Entries

Default Let's talk about Neil Morris

l could only find one thread about Neil Morris Fragrances, dating from 2007, when it appears he only had six in the line-up. So as l just took delivery of nine generous spray samples, l thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on any that you've tried. l know that Jon, Robin & ComDiva are fans; anyone else? Please do share your opinions & impressions here!

The ones l have are;

Storm
    Midnight Tryst
    Gandhara
    lntimate Gardenia
    Rainflower
    City Rain
    Prowl
    Rumi

l also received a bonus sample of Phantom Rain, apparently due for release this year, but not on the website yet.

l'll be testing these over the next few weeks, as l prefer to concentrate on one sample at a time.

l've started today with lntimate Gardenia, as l've had this on my test list the longest, & l'll report back later when it's had a chance to develop!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Terra Mia by Carthusia

Default Re: Let's talk about Neil Morris

Oooh lucky you, Teardrop.

I was sent a decant of Neil's October a few years ago by a
    very generous Basenoter (whom he actually created Le Parfum d'Ida for) and I thought it
    was a wonderful representation of New England in the fall - all pumpkins, apples, cinnamon
    and leaves. I believe Midnight Tryst is a very erotic scent so wear it with caution!!

Will be very interested how you find these.
    Did you get them direct from the U.S.A?
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur by Boucheron

Blog Entries

Thanks, kewart! "Erotic" sounds promising!

October sounds lovely, is it similar to ELd'O's Like This?

Yes l ordered these directly from the website, & they only took a week to arrive! l've been meaning to try some of these for a long time but only just got around to it.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks, Teardrop. I can't actually see a link for samples on the website - could you send me
    the details of where it is please?

October is similar to Ambre Nargile in my opinion.
    Last edited by kewart; 7th July 2015 at 10:35 AM.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur by Boucheron

I have only tried Café, which couldn't be better at what it intends to be but is too literal for me to want to wear often.

There are a few that I'd like to try--Prowl and City Rain in particular so I'm interested in hearing about those.

Edit: I was on my tablet when I made that comment but now I'm on a computer and can look around his site.
    I'm interested in: Woodland Strawberries, Gandhara, Hologram, Prowl, Rumi, Quest, City Rain, Gotham
    Last edited by zeniba; 7th July 2015 at 03:01 PM.
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Thanks, Teardrop. I can't actually see a link for samples on the website - could you send me
    the details of where it is please?

October is similar to Ambre Nargile in my opinion.
    The sample option is given under each individual fragrance listing. Bear in mind there is a signature collection & a "vault" collection listed down the left side of the page.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Great startup Teardrop I am anxious to hear your thoughts about this house. I noticed Midnight Tryst being a favorite of Jon Rodgers not to long ago.
    Currently wearing: Oud Monarch by Bortnikoff

Yes I am a fan - I like his style, the perfumes are sort of heavy, not transparent or light, they settle in and smell human. Rich, ripe smells, it's a nice style, and he has such a large catalog, some of them I don't like, there is variety, he's creative, not overly careful, isn't trying to please everyone with every scent I think. All of that I like.

I have Prowl (second bottle) and have had City Rain, have sampled many of his perfumes (the samples are generous and last awhile) and do want Rumi, next time I have disposable income, probably this fall. Also bought Summer of Love for my ex-MIL, which was a big hit.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Great startup Teardrop I am anxious to hear your thoughts about this house. I noticed Midnight Tryst being a favorite of Jon Rodgers not to long ago.
    Right you are

Big fan of the Neil and his work. I agree with Robin that his creations have real presence and performance. He has one hell of a nose and certainly isn't afraid to experiment. I always make a point of reading the description for each fragrance and what he was attempting to achieve and he nails for me in the vast majority of cases - he really does have some evocative scents in his portfolio. Damn good value too with great customer service to boot.
    Strangely, my real favourites are two that could be potentially problematic (ie - animalic) for me but not the case as it turned out. Midnight Tryst is deliberately and overtly lascivious and I can't get enough of it. Prowl (which I will definitely be purchasing soon) seemed to have a fearsome reputation but not so in my experience - the civet is virtually non-existant on my skin and I experience it as a creamy floral that hums along delighfully.
    I sampled Rumi largely due to Robin's enthusiasm and purchased a full bottle almost immediately. It isn't multi-dimensional (I get rose, amber, patchouli, plus a little vanillic sweetness and a hint of yellow floral - probably ylang-ylang) but is beautifully balanced and will be a wardrobe fixture for a long time to come.
    Also own Aegean / Storm / Clear and planning another sampling foray in the not too distant future - had a heads up from ComDiva about Phantom Rain and liked what I was hearing so that will certainly be on the list.

Enjoy your sampling, teardrop . I'll be very interested to hear about your experiences.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th July 2015 at 04:46 PM.

Oh, great idea teardrop! I ordered the sample pack about a year ago, gave a few a try and then got sidetracked without finishing the others. I recall trying Rainflower and Coral - I did not care for coral, but I wrote up Rainflower in the sample of the day thread last Sept. Here were my thoughts then...I will probably revisit again.

Rainflower - This is a very floral forward scent, with a jasmine and an earthy gardenia being the only two I could pick out, but I am sure there are more in there. The flowers are thick and sultry, but yet lightened by a watery aspect. A flower garden after a rain, including some dirty indoles and a moist earth smell. The overall vibe is a white floral with green and wet components. The longevity is excellent.
    Although this one is not for me, I found it to be very well executed, and could see a white floral lover really enjoying this. It is not incredibly complicated, but very pretty. Also, not too heavy, while it does indeed feel full. It is well balanced.
    I think of summer evening garden parties for this one.

I ordered a dozen spray samples 3 years ago. Just not my style I am afraid. I found them all very dense and tending toward the crude. An olfactory equivalent of this:

...an effect I have noted in other US indie perfumers (eg. Slumberhouse).

Perhaps I was just unlucky in my sample selection!
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Blog Entries

Thanks for your encouragement, everyone!

Cello; l believe it was your write-up that made me put that one on my test list!

Marais; l happen to think that painting is rather beautiful...

Blog Entries

So here are my thoughts on lntimate Gardenia;

This begins as a grassy jasmine reminiscent of scents like Tawaf, softening over the first hour into a white floral accord, mostly lily of the valley. A hint of sweetness like a creamy milk pudding comes to the fore, & at this point it reminds me of Tauer's Sotto La Luna Gardenia. Here it settles into something vaguely resembling gardenia, but like the Tauer, it doesn't reproduce the true scent of the flower. After four or five hours, there's a clean, slightly aquatic musk in the base, still going softly eleven hours in.

This is a pretty floral, but as a gardenia lover, it doesn't quite hit the spot for me. l have learned, though, not to expect too much from fragrances labelled "gardenia", & l still have high hopes for the others on my list.

Looks like I only have a sample of Storm in my sample pack to match your list. I will try to give it a few wears and join the N. Morris thread. I have a whole different sample set than the ones you listed, so will try to get to them also.

Blog Entries

Thanks cello, l look forward to reading your impressions of whatever you have!

I've been meaning to explore this line further, so I'm all ears for this thread. I own a bottle of Gotham -- which I love -- but that was the only one in the store that I liked when I tried the line. Gotham, to me, is perfectly dramatic and over the top. It's the kind of scent that I envision Dr. Frank-N-Furter wearing.

Attached Images Attached Images

Great thread teardrop/folks! From what I've read so far I don't even know if I would like these, but who cares, it's a great thread all the same. I'm going to enjoy this.

Oh actually, did he do one called Leather Garden? Yes he did. I had a sample and I enjoyed that one.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Foustie!

Today l've been wearing Midnight Tryst; one l had to try since Jon sings its praises so much, & it doesn't disappoint!

Rich, buttery labdanum meets dark, sultry florals on an animalic bed of civet & castoreum. The opening is spicy, with a retro, head shop vibe. The floral notes are hard to pick out individually, but they're thick & dense, & there is a honeyed rose in there somewhere. The whole feel of this is dark & dangerous, slightly bittersweet, a real vamp of a perfume! Four hours in, the florals fade, leaving a warm, fuzzy base of nutty labdanum, subtly animalic but not too filthy. lt's just fading out after eleven hours.

By turns this reminds me of Tauer's Le Maroc, Stoned by Solange Azagury-Partridge & L'Ombre Fauve. To combine three perfumes that l absolutely adore is quite a feat, & l've got to say l'm rather blown away by this one! Recommended to lovers of vintage-style orientals everywhere.

I've tried Storm, Clear, Gotham, Asea, Afire, Intimate Lily, Rainflower, Aegean, Coral and Zephyr. My favorites were Intimately Lily and Coral, followed by Rainflower. I intend to buy a bottle of the Intimate Lily in the near future if it's still available.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Between two pine trees

I've been poking around Neil Morris fragrances for a while now but hadn't pulled the trigger. Thanks, teardrop, as your thread has inspired me to do just that.

I just placed my order for these: Afire, Gotham, Cathedral, Dark Season, Earthtones #3, Hippie, Leather Garden, Midnight Tryst, Midnight Moon, October, Posh, Rumi, and Summer of Love.

In other news, I may be a tree-hugging hippie throwback.

I did have one a long time ago. I think it was Leather garden. It probably came from you Foustie. I shall have a dig and see if it is still here in the sample files. I have a memory of it being plasticcy. I had a look at the notes and I see I did try it and gave it one star. That's not as bad as it looks because I have to like it a bit to give it any star.
    Last edited by mumsy; 9th July 2015 at 08:07 AM.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I've been poking around Neil Morris fragrances for a while now but hadn't pulled the trigger. Thanks, teardrop, as your thread has inspired me to do just that.

I just placed my order for these: Afire, Gotham, Cathedral, Dark Season, Earthtones #3, Hippie, Leather Garden, Midnight Tryst, Midnight Moon, October, Posh, Rumi, and Summer of Love.

In other news, I may be a tree-hugging hippie throwback.
    Then you're ok with me, hun! l look forward to reading your impressions.

l just got up, & l'm still getting animalic whiffs off my arm, 22 hours after application. That's outstanding performance, in my book!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Today l've been wearing Midnight Tryst; one l had to try since Jon sings its praises so much, & it doesn't disappoint!
    Relieved to hear it ! - I've been confidently predicting you would love it and didn't want to end up with egg on my face .
    Midnight Tryst rubber stamps my philosophy that one should try everything no matter how off-putting it may seem on paper. I only sent for a sample with an order as an afterthought because a trusted nose (Mimi ) had previously raved about it. I never expected it would work for me in a million years looking at the note pyramid. Castoreum (Chypre Palatin excepted) can be very dodgy and civet is my least favourite accord but they undoubtedly add to the experience here and aren't problematic in the least - I think you nailed it with "subtly animalic but not too filthy" . I get similar longevity and have also caught subtle whiffs many hours after application. All Neil's fragrances have stellar performance but Midnight Tryst really is exceptional.

I'm betting you will love Prowl too
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 9th July 2015 at 04:00 PM.

I added a bunch to my cart a few days ago, and then copied the list in case they aren't still there (I'm on a different computer so I can't see)
    City Rain, Prowl, Quest, Woodland Strawberries, Gandhara, Gotham, Hologram, Rumi
    Maybe I should replace one of those with Midnight Tryst. That many samples is already $39 and I don't like to pay more than $40 in samples.
    I think I will have to wait, though. I have 3 sample orders I want to get--a bunch of non-export Serge Lutens, the Pekji samples and these, but I'm also unemployed and sample orders can really add up. I do want to get some samples in the meantime for fun/entertainment/etc but I think I'll choose the Serge Lutens ones. But hopefully soon I can get these.
    Currently wearing: L'Attesa by Masque

I tried Neil Morris Storm this weekend. This one is a musky floral. I perceived the musk right in the opening, along with a sharper note (citrus?). After an hour or so a lovely floral developed, almost old fashioned feeling due to a bit of powder from the musk. The drydown was musk and tonka. When I looked up the notes I see that the floral was hyacinth, which I have no fragrance reference for, but it was a very pretty floral note.
    I am not big on musk fragrances, but I kept going back and forth on whether I enjoyed this or not. I do see where he was going here, it is cool and humid, and not too sweet in spite of the notes present. I can see how this could be an interpretation of a storm, and the charged, cool, thick air just prior, and then strong floral or greenery notes after a rain. It is vague, but I guess I can see that.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting your thoughts, cello!

l will be testing another one on my day off tomorrow, l just haven't decided which one yet.

BTW, l wore lntimate Gardenia again for work this weekend, & this time l got much more of a buttery tuberose note with quite a bit of sillage. lt was a more humid day, but l decided it was not so intimate after all, & probably a bit too much for work!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l will be testing another one on my day off tomorrow, l just haven't decided which one yet.

Well, I got a sample pack which contained the following:

Asea
    Chasing Autumn
    Aegean
    Afire
    Storm
    Rainflower
    Vanille Rose
    Gandhara
    Flowers for Men: Rose
    Leather Garden
    Fetish
    Rumi
    Coral
    Prowl
    Clear
    Intimate Vanilla
    Gotham
    Zephyr
    Burnt Amber

I didn't warm to many of them straight off the bat but Burnt Amber, Intimate Vanilla and Gotham have started to grow on me

(And at risk of upsetting the Mods, I am happy to send any of the above to those that would like to try them (UK only) - I know there is a giveaway thread but it seems that this is a fairly specific thread)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

Ok Jon, l can take a hint!

Blog Entries

l've been wearing Prowl today.

This one has a spicy-woody opening, with black pepper & perhaps some clove, lasting for a good hour before a darkly indolic jasmine comes through in the heart. This is swiftly followed by a softly animalic amber, & five hours in l detect some moss in the base. The projection is moderate, & eleven hours in it's still going as a skin scent.

This scent purrs rather than growls. l expected it to have a similar feel to Midnight Tryst, but in fact it's more of a comfort scent than a weapon of seduction, & it's somewhat less complex. Midnight Tryst wowed me much more, but this one is still a lovely warm, vintage-style fragrance that l think will work very well on cooler autumn evenings.