Code of Conduct

Default looking for something suggestive, provocative

Couple anecdotes might help. One of my exes was rather... moved when I would perform manual tasks. She once had a fender bender with a concrete divider, and I straightened the lower control arm, rear strut, and filled/painted the rear bumper. She... interrupted me a couple hours into the task. Similar happened when we were working on a house refurb and she called me down from the ladder in the middle of some wall repairs. Things turned south for us, but I've gotten similar favorable reactions when I'd come in from offshore oilfield work in my coveralls. As well, a week ago I stopped & was helping a friend get their car started while on my way back from drill, and their nanny gave me a rather emphatic hug while I was in uniform and a bit sweaty after being under the hood.

All that said, I've found the image of a working man is something I have much pride in, but it also has... other benefits. So, a bit sweaty, macho, even raunchy... That's what I'd like to shoot for even when cleaned up real good. You guys can check out my wardrobe to see what I've already got, and please suggest more.

Some things I'm considering are mazzolari lui, leather oud, mkk, rien, mdm. Any of that seem correct?
    Last edited by Lomaniac; 20th July 2015 at 03:12 AM.

Default Re: looking for something suggestive, provocative

How about Tom Of Finland by Etat Libre D'Orange? Very masculine and smells great.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Why not just go chrome shoulders Kouros?

Azzaro Pour Homme. Smells clean, but also smells like something a sweaty Italian car mechanic would wear in 1983. (at least that's the image that appears in my head when smelling this)

Lucky you! I cannot claim knowledge of female tastes, but many gay people like what in hookup website goes under "mansmells".

In any case, your choices are excellent. The most animalic is probably Rien (Incidentally, they came out with a Rien incense intense, which is similar. But somebody here on BN thinks that after coming out with this version, the regular version has been weakened a bit. I cannot confirm this). MKK is more straightforwardly musky; as with all musks, this might be a bit risky, because if some people are hypersensitive, this will come out as really stinky to them. Mazzolari Lui is macho in a broad sense, woods and patch and leathers, as well as musks; similarly for Leather oud. Mdm is probably the least macho. it does have civet, but this comes out more as dandy aristocrat than man in coverall.

I second also Tom of Finland, but the name is inappropriate (Rien corresponds to the character). It's still a tough leather, but smoother, with lemon and saffron. For raunch, I will mention also Le Labo oud, whose musk is truly raunchy; but, as discussed for MKK, this is risky because hypersensitive people will be turned off.

If it still existed, Schiaparelli Shocking would be another contender. But it's long gone.

cacio

You might also explore Montecristo, Room 237, and Fate Man. If you're okay with MKK, you might also want to get your nose on the upcoming Salome by Papillon. It doesn't smell like MKK, but it's the same territory (super indolic, animalic, raunchy floral). Last, Hermessence's Epice Marine has a briny BO kind of thing going on that recalls the old stinker, Eau d'Hermes. But yes, Lui, Leather Oud, MKK all have similar effects. Rien has never struck me as animalic though. Butch, for sure, but I don't find it that carnal.

If you can find vintage Givenchy Gentleman, that might suit you.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

From your wardrobe, especially Azzaro pour Homme, to a lesser extent, Obsession for Men might work. Aside from that, the fragrance you suggested for testing/purchases in your thread-staring post are also quite suitable, but also, as even more additional possibilities to be considered, Knize Ten, Drakkar Noir, Fendi Uomo, vintage Trussardi Uomo, Lancetii Uomo, Duc de Vervins, English Blazer, Fahreheit Parfum and/or Absolute might also work.

Vintage Yatagan by Caron if you can find it.
    Currently wearing: Versus Uomo by Versace

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    From your wardrobe, especially Azzaro pour Homme, to a lesser extent, Obsession for Men might work. Aside from that, the fragrance you suggested for testing/purchases in your thread-staring post are also quite suitable, but also, as even more additional possibilities to be considered, Knize Ten, Drakkar Noir, Fendi Uomo, vintage Trussardi Uomo, Lancetii Uomo, Duc de Vervins, English Blazer, Fahreheit Parfum and/or Absolute might also work.
    Duc de Vervins
    Also try Esencia Loewe
    Currently wearing: Must de Cartier by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Lucky you! I cannot claim knowledge of female tastes, but many gay people like what in hookup website goes under "mansmells".

In any case, your choices are excellent. The most animalic is probably Rien (Incidentally, they came out with a Rien incense intense, which is similar. But somebody here on BN thinks that after coming out with this version, the regular version has been weakened a bit. I cannot confirm this). MKK is more straightforwardly musky; as with all musks, this might be a bit risky, because if some people are hypersensitive, this will come out as really stinky to them. Mazzolari Lui is macho in a broad sense, woods and patch and leathers, as well as musks; similarly for Leather oud. Mdm is probably the least macho. it does have civet, but this comes out more as dandy aristocrat than man in coverall.

I second also Tom of Finland, but the name is inappropriate (Rien corresponds to the character). It's still a tough leather, but smoother, with lemon and saffron. For raunch, I will mention also Le Labo oud, whose musk is truly raunchy; but, as discussed for MKK, this is risky because hypersensitive people will be turned off.

If it still existed, Schiaparelli Shocking would be another contender. But it's long gone.

cacio
    ^Excellent post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Go-To:
    Oumma (SHL 777), Lyric Man (Amouage), Vetiver Ext. (R Dove), Kobe (Xerjoff), M1849 (Creed), L'Air du Desert Marocain (Tauer), Colonia Essenza (Acqua di Parma), Cologne Indelebile (Malle), Bergamot Ext. (R Dove), Royal Mayfield (Creed), Violettes du Czar (Legrand)

Yatagan by Caron - even the current version will do

Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie.
    Currently wearing: Honour Man by Amouage

When I think of dirty and sweaty in terms of fragrances, Kouros comes to mind, although it smells more like an overly sweetened old man kind of scent so I don't know if it'll suit your vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    How about Tom Of Finland by Etat Libre D'Orange? Very masculine and smells great.
    Sounds like a 'ladies' man though

Derby would be high on my list

Encre Noire

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella has that car workshop thing going on...at least in the early phase.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Kiehl's musk. It smells much like MKK but at a lower price point. It's got something for everyone, florals, woods, 'knicker scents'
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Sounds like a 'ladies' man though

Derby would be high on my list
    Derby would also be a great choice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

FAT ELECTRICIAN

"...Now, a fat electrician in New Jersey, he is cursed with the memory of his glory days. Because all beauty carries within itself the knowledge that it cannot last"

Fahreheit! look no further.
    1. Dior - Homme (vintage)

2. Dior - Homme Intense

3. Guerlain - LIDGE

4. Creed - Aventus

5. Channel - AHS (vintage)

7. D&G - By for men (vintage)

8. YSL - La Nuit

9. TM - Pure Havane

10. D&G Pour Homme (vintage)

Life's too short for average fragrances.

Bvlgari Black
    MFK - Velvet Mood Oud
    Creed Cuir de Russie
    Currently wearing: Oud 27 by Le Labo

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Fahrenheit fits your description so perfectly.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Nova days, you can never be prepared to as what gets woman off....? One thing for sure though, is they do appreciate a pair or two of crease hands. SexMagic by House of Matriarch
    Last edited by alex71; 20th July 2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to add fragrance

Roja dove parfum de la nuit no 2 fits the bill for a manly fragrance for me but for a cheaper alternative you can try Tuscan leather by Tom ford.
    Currently wearing: Poivre 23 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Fahrenheit fits your description so perfectly.
    Absolutely, i really imagined him wearing FH lol.
    1. Dior - Homme (vintage)

2. Dior - Homme Intense

3. Guerlain - LIDGE

4. Creed - Aventus

5. Channel - AHS (vintage)

7. D&G - By for men (vintage)

8. YSL - La Nuit

9. TM - Pure Havane

10. D&G Pour Homme (vintage)

Life's too short for average fragrances.