Code of Conduct

Default Snead and Sons Bay Rum?

I recently went on a trip to Jamaica, and being a huge bay rum fan I wanted to find something locally-made while I was there. I searched in every gift shop I went to with no luck, and then finally, on the last day I was there, we were in the small gift shop in the hotel lobby and I found a single, dusty bottle of bay rum in the very back of the shop (photos attached). It is made by Snead and Sons of Montego Bay, and only contains sugar cane alcohol and bay oil (there is also an actual bay leaf inside the bottle). It smells amazing and I absolutely love it, so I wanted to make sure I could find it again when it I run out. My searches for Snead and Sons in Jamaica have all been dead ends, and it looks like they may not even exist anymore. If so, that is quite depressing because it's a wonderful product.

If anyone knows where I might be able to find this again, please let me know.

Thanks!

image1.jpgimage2.jpg

Default Re: Snead and Sons Bay Rum?

Quote Originally Posted by jread View Post
    I recently went on a trip to Jamaica, and being a huge bay rum fan I wanted to find something locally-made while I was there. I searched in every gift shop I went to with no luck, and then finally, on the last day I was there, we were in the small gift shop in the hotel lobby and I found a single, dusty bottle of bay rum in the very back of the shop (photos attached). It is made by Snead and Sons of Montego Bay, and only contains sugar cane alcohol and bay oil (there is also an actual bay leaf inside the bottle). It smells amazing and I absolutely love it, so I wanted to make sure I could find it again when it I run out. My searches for Snead and Sons in Jamaica have all been dead ends, and it looks like they may not even exist anymore. If so, that is quite depressing because it's a wonderful product.

If anyone knows where I might be able to find this again, please let me know.

Thanks!

Is there a possibility that you can communicate or inquire from the hotel gift shop (e-mail or phone) as to where they got it from?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Looks amazing--well done!
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Is there a possibility that you can communicate or inquire from the hotel gift shop (e-mail or phone) as to where they got it from?
    I did ask the girl at the desk about it and she said that they used to have a lot of it, and it could also be found everywhere, then it slowly started disappearing. The website for the company, www.sneadandsons.com, is no longer active. Also, this bottle is probably a few years old and just hadn't sold for whatever reason. I almost didn't see it as it was in the back of a shelf with soaps and lotions in front of it. The labels are a little weathered and the whole thing was covered in thick dust.

I will keep searching, but it seems that this company has probably gone out of business and they only made this product locally available in Jamaica. I am probably just really damn lucky to have found it. Will try to make it last as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Looks amazing--well done!
    Thanks, I love it! I thought the bay leaf inside the bottle was a really nice touch

I believe Snead & Sons is now known as Sun Factory. As to whether they still make cologne I don't know. I located a site selling the stuff at one time in the past year or so but can't find it now.

Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Here's an ebay listing for Snead and Sons Jamaica Island Muske for men. It's got one bid for $29.95. I bet it's good ol' nitromusk goodness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Snea...item51d531e9ac
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

The muske is quite nice if you like barbershop fragrences, it's quite powdery and in the clubman realm.