Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Member

Question Should Rose oil smell sharp and metallic

I recently brought a Rose oil with 12% naturals that the company described as smelling ."...as good as any natural oil we have experimented with" now obviously upon reading this I was very excited to receive it, hoping that when I smelled it I would be transported to my grandmothers garden with that loving, beautiful, romantic, definitive smell of Roses in bloom and quite simply I wasn't. To me it smelt far more like geranium with an unpleasant cold metallic tang and a hint of rose I was not happy at all, I usually love the oils from this company but this rose oil for me is a complete flop.

To anyone who has had the privilege of smelling natural rose absolute, is this smell normal in natural rose oils? I can't really imagine rose having such an unpleasant odour.

Thanks everyone.

Default Re: Should Rose oil smell sharp and metallic

First off, anything that describes itself as being "12.0% natural" cannot be wholly natural. So what you have is a Rose base. Secondly, Rose otto (Rose oil) and Rose Absolute smell quite different from each other. The major difference is that the Otto will contain very little Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol, which gives a light watery freshness. Many people who smell Rose Otto for the first time are often surprised and disappointed , describing it as having a boozy, alcoholic and sour note.

Anyway, your Rose base sounds as if it contain Geranium, often used as part of Rose notes. It may also contain too much Rose Oxide. It is a made up base. Comparing Rose Otto or Rose absolute to the smell of a Rose would also be off putting. All Roses smell different from each other , it is unlikely that the Rose you smelled would resemble Rose Otto or Absolute.

If you bought this Rose base without smelling it, bought it blind, then I hope you didn't pay too much. You have learned a lesson; never buy blind.

Basenotes Member

Hi David, that is really interesting what you say about Rose Otto. I have always identified the smell of Rose as a sweet, feminine, pretty, floral scent so this is quite surprising. I think you may be right about their being too much Rose Oxide, thankfully it was relatively cheap about £3 for 10mls

Why don't you try to get a widely used base, like Dorinia - which is available in small quantities?

Dorinia is lovely - a very nice all round rose base. I think it's used in large quantities in Eau de Protection by etat libre, etc. wardia is also nice if you want a synthetic rose de Mai that's cleaner than the real thing

Make sure you get Dorinia SA E and not just SA if you go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Adam View Post
    Make sure you get Dorinia SA E and not just SA if you go that route.
    The difference between Dorinia SA and Dorinia SA E is two things:

1) Price - SA E is much more expensive
    2) The musks it contains - SA E does not contain any polycyclic musks - it was designed for those applications where polycyclic musks have to be excluded.

The difference in odour between the two is very slight and mainly apparent in the dry down which is slightly less sweet and more animalic in the case of SA E. Both are very nice rose bases. Also note that both contain large amounts of rose ketones and hence are heavily restricted if you need to conform to IFRA guidelines.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Great, thanks Chris.