Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Slumberhouse: Grev and Rume to return for a limited release

For fans of Slumberhouse, Grev and Rume will see a brief, limited return and will be available for order soon at a slightly lower price point and will come in the old velvet pouch but with the new 30ml bottles. Both are based on the original formulae with minor tweaks. I've compared both to the previous versions, and they're largely the same albeit a tad smoother than before.

For anyone unfamiliar with these scents, Grev is a brisk, green, stemmy-moss fragrance with clove, anise, birch leaf, and sandalwood. It's a scent that saw a spike in popularity after it was discontinued, situating as one of the more sought after scents from the line. The opening is a tad smoother now and a new sandalwood gives it a touch more heft, but aside from that, it's the same invigoratingly chilly scent it always was. It's loud and long lasting, but it's not as dense as other scents in the line. Rume is also largely the same — a spiced mulled wine kind of scent. Some people describe it as having a dry fruit quality crossed with a slight cola vibe. I tend to agree; it smells like a boozy raisin and dry fruit scent to me with an inescapable holiday-season feel. It's over a base of resins and sandalwood, and both have been boosted a tad in this version with a new labdanum that lends the scent a slight smoky effect. Like Grev, any difference from previous versions would probably go unnoticed by most, but I'd say that this version is a touch more resinous in general.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deadidol; 30th July 2015 at 05:51 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Slumberhouse: Grev and Rume to return for a limited release

Thanks for the info. I've always wanted to try Rume, maybe now I'll have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread and wanted thread.

So when will Baque be back?
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Great news. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the update.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Very nice to know. I have more plans to diversify into this house. Norne was fabulous.

And...Grev goes to the top of my list!

Thanks for the info. Generally not a fan of the house, but Grev is pretty nice.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Tom Ford - Rive d'Ambre
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

I already have both of these, but I'm very happy to see them back; especially Grev. I never thought that one got its due.

No sign of Grev on the Slumberhouse web site. Anyone know a release date, or approximate?

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    No sign of Grev on the Slumberhouse web site. Anyone know a release date, or approximate?
    If anyone wants to place an early order before these go live on the site, you can always send a message to [email protected] to request whatever you'd like to purchase and you'll get be invoiced. Grev and Rume are $120 each and will ship in the old velvet pouches as opposed to the current box. They should be up on the site soon enough, but this way you can get a head start.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th August 2015 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks for the info deadidol!

They are both up on the site now and available for purchase. I just bought Grev myself after reluctantly trading it in the past!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    If anyone wants to place an early order before these go live on the site, you can always send a message to [email protected] to request whatever you'd like to purchase and you'll get be invoiced. Grev and Rume are $120 each and will ship in the old velvet pouches as opposed to the current box. They should be up on the site soon enough, but this way you can get a head start.
    MadHat Scents

Ryk - Now Available (Incense, Woods, Amber) / Skiff ON SALE! - (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy ON SALE! (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

As a longtime fan of Grev, I was skeptical of this reboot. I thought the original was a maniacal and uncompromising masterwork. These were my original notes:

a fragrance that contains an acrid pomelo tang, stadium lighting, and a general sensation of needles to the face
    This iteration is very true to the form of the original while making some key tweaks to the decibel level (which was spike-through-the-head) and textural details. In the case of the latter, what was previously a glossy hard impenetrable wall of smell is now awash in ctric glass, a fizzy wash of soap, a vetiver-like effervescence, and something like caraway or spat out gum. I was certain that I would not approve of this alteration, but it is exceedingly refreshing for once to be able to pick out the nuances of this singular scent. And it only cements my opinion that this is one of the finest Slumberhouses ever.

Wonderful. I remember the old EdP smelling awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Beranium Chotato View Post
    As a longtime fan of Grev, I was skeptical of this reboot. I thought the original was a maniacal and uncompromising masterwork. These were my original notes:

This iteration is very true to the form of the original while making some key tweaks to the decibel level (which was spike-through-the-head) and textural details. In the case of the latter, what was previously a glossy hard impenetrable wall of smell is now awash in ctric glass, a fizzy wash of soap, a vetiver-like effervescence, and something like caraway or spat out gum. I was certain that I would not approve of this alteration, but it is exceedingly refreshing for once to be able to pick out the nuances of this singular scent. And it only cements my opinion that this is one of the finest Slumberhouses ever.
    MadHat Scents

Ryk - Now Available (Incense, Woods, Amber) / Skiff ON SALE! - (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy ON SALE! (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

Has anyone smelled the new Rume yet?

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Beranium Chotato View Post

Excellent! (tents fingers)

Blog Entries

I couldn't resist. I bought Rume & although it isn't an exact match for my old Luckyscent sample, I do enjoy it. Personally I think this will be much, much better after a year or 5. The resins will age beautifully. For now, the myrrh & balsam combo (which I adore) is a bit sharp....I actually taste it. Rume is a keeper and will only improve with age.

Josh included several generous samples, so I had a chance to try Grev, Kiste & Sadanne. I had high hopes for Grev but my skin gobbled it up & wasn't detectable after an hour; ablink of the eye for a Slumberhouse scent.

Sadanne is growing on me...it's just plain strange, in a "I can't help but watch" kind of way. It's sweet but with an edge. Frankly, if Sadanne were a person she, and it's definitely a she, would be a Ninja posing as a Geshia.

Kiste I'm just plain crazy about, every rich, smokey molecule. I want to wear this. I want my husband to wear this. Then everybody leave us the hell alone. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by RHM; 7th August 2015 at 01:36 AM.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

I figured I'd chime in to lend my thoughts to the new Grev, which I've had on for a few hours. I'm comparing the old 15ml Esprit de Parfum version going strictly off of memory.

My initial impressions are that the re-released version of Grev is quite similar to the earlier version of Grev that I purchased quite a while ago. The newer version doesn't smell as metallic as elder. The newly added sandalwood seems to have smoothed some of the edges, much like the sandalwood works in the new version of Vikt (dialing some of the vegetal and metallic components.) Additionally, the clove is much more subtle while the birch leaf and copaiba resin seems a bit more forward.

Grev still has the cool feel to it, but not nearly as cold and sharp-metallic as these qualities have been toned down quite a bit. Before I used to think of a mountain stream, the mossy undergrowth covered in a bed of frost somewhere in the cool depths of a Pacific Northwest rain forest. Now, Grev makes me think - 1950s cologne/aftershave combination. Personally, I'm impressed and happy to have the chance to have a bottle back in the collection.
    MadHat Scents

I'm wearing the Ltd. Ed. Cask Slumberhouse Rume (2015) today...figured I'd post my brief impressions.

The scent has largely the same backbone as the older version, definitely toned down quite a bit though and a nice newly added layer. There is a newly added dusty labdanum/amber which lies on the same bed of lighter of spices from the previous Rume versions. In the dry down I'm recalling April Aromatics Calling All Angels...think that sort of amber/resinous vibe.

I remember the previous version quite well, the bay isn't as forward in the Ltd cask Rume, that's one thing I didn't like about the old edp. Additionally, the whole "ancient recipe" for a mulled wine isn't as amped up and cloying as it once was...Across the board, Rume isn't nearly as nuclear as it once was... which I think is a good thing personally. I remember showering after wearing the old juice and it lasting for several days.

Overall, more subdued than previous versions and an additional layer of rich amber and resins. This is the older version with all the bugs worked out. Well done!
    Last edited by rynegne; 13th August 2015 at 02:31 PM.
    MadHat Scents

Rynegne - why did i come to this thread...

I've been holding off any purchase, but these 2 are super tempting 4 sure...I did check my stock & I have easily 35-40ml each from the older version...
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

Fortunately for you your current stock is enough to last you several lifetimes. Speaking of the old Rume especially, I couldn't go over a half-spray. The new stuff is much more "well-behaved." I'm wearing a few spritzes of Rume today...if I did that with the old stuff...everyone around me would be smelling like me too haha.

Both Grev & Rume have the same DNA but they're much easier to wear, a lot smoother and seem to have some additional depth. Neither has been tweaked as much as Vikt. Since you're stocked up on both I would say pick one that's your favorite and buy the Ltd Cask version if you have the extra cash to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Rynegne - why did i come to this thread...I've been holding off any purchase, but these 2 are super tempting 4 sure...I did check my stock & I have easily 35-40ml each from the older version...
    Last edited by rynegne; 13th August 2015 at 04:06 PM.
    MadHat Scents

I actually liked the mis-behaved aspects of the older editions - not that the new one's are not good, they are almost equally good as the old, with Vikt & Ore particularly...
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

I thought the same thing at first, then I really started enjoying the extraits and how they seem to transform and unfold a bit more. I think you'll be good with what you have if you like how the Eau de Parfum versions of other Slumberhouse scents perform in comparison to the extrait counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I actually liked the mis-behaved aspects of the older editions - not that the new one's are not good, they are almost equally good as the old, with Vikt & Ore particularly...
    MadHat Scents

How's projection and sillage on Grev for you? Picked it up and it seems to last a pretty long time on my skin, but as a skin scent after 5 hrs. Could be just me. Will have to wear more and see if I get any notices later on in the day.

Projection and sillage are what I would consider moderate as it's an extrait. I have no problem picking up the scent several hours in but I prefer scents that don't jump off the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by boring2000 View Post
    How's projection and sillage on Grev for you? Picked it up and it seems to last a pretty long time on my skin, but as a skin scent after 5 hrs. Could be just me. Will have to wear more and see if I get any notices later on in the day.
    MadHat Scents

The first iteration of Grev--which I missed--was an EdP if I recall. And there wasn't a marble bottle extrait version, was there? (I've been looking for Grev, without luck, for a couple of years). Is the 2015 version also an EdP, or is it an extrait?

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    The first iteration of Grev--which I missed--was an EdP if I recall. And there wasn't a marble bottle extrait version, was there? (I've been looking for Grev, without luck, for a couple of years). Is the 2015 version also an EdP, or is it an extrait?
    To be honest, the difference really shouldn't be noticeable. The EdP / Extrait switches are really more about reformulations than concentration. With that said, the line did decide to move toward concentrations that sit closer to the body than projecting too much. There are basically three versions of Grev: The original (square bottle) was a real clove bomb -- too much clove. Then second version dialed back the clove and a citrus top was more perceptible (50ml bottle, no marbles). It was still a little harsh upfront, but quickly settled. The 2015 version is closest to the second version in that the clove is pulled back a bit, but the sharp opening was smoothed over as well. There's more (real) sandalwood in this version now, and so you get more of a bodied feel, but all in all, it's virtually the same. It's not offensively loud, but it's very long lasting. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by deadidol; 20th August 2015 at 12:55 AM.

To be honest, the difference really shouldn't be noticeable. The EdP / Extrait switches are really more about reformulations that concentration. With that said, the line did decide to move toward concentrations that sit closer to the body than projecting too much. There are basically three versions of Grev: The original (square bottle) was a real clove bomb -- too much clove. Then second version dialed back the clove and a citrus top was more perceptible (50ml bottle, no marbles). It was still a little harsh upfront, but quickly settled. The 2015 version is closest to the second version in that the clove is pulled back a bit, but the sharp opening was smoothed over as well. There's more (real) sandalwood in this version now, and so you get more of a bodied feel, but all in all, it's virtually the same. It's not offensively loud, but it's very long lasting. Hope that helps!
    Thank you. As you were posting, I was ordering. No way I was going to miss a chance to finally get Grev! And now, the wait....

I asked about the concentration because I really like the way the marble bottle extraits stay rather close but last and last. the progression of the fragrance, normally measured in minutes or hours for most scents, seems to be in half days for the SH extraits.

I don't have much experience with the old EdPs, only Jeke and (old) Rume, and those two are big projectors. Whew! I do prefer the extraits.

Can't wait for Grev to arrive.

And, not to monopolize the thread, but I am appreciating the price reduction reflected on Grev (and Rume). $120 includes shipping.

There was some blowback when SH upped the ante to $160 a few months ago. Hope the folks who were unhappy about that get a chance to take advantage of the price roll back, here.

My bottle of Grev arrived, and I took for a test run yesterday, a sunny Saturday. Notes below

Grev presents mint, clove, sandalwood, green leaf, suede, and a soapy touch in a rather low key package. Quite minty to start, this quickly gives way to the clove and a leaf and stem (birch left), mingling with sandalwood. The sandalwood was unexpected from reviews of the prior iterations, and it works beautifully. While the clove here is prominent, as every review notes, it does not dominate this 2015 scent. A couple of hours in, the mint and anise are mostly gone, and the clove and leaf are settling down. At this point, the scent has subtly morphed into a wood-suede-herbs combo, set in damp plaster. There is also a clear, but subtle resin. Is that the copaiba balsam? No experience with that material. There is not a trace of either flowers or fruit, and nothing discernibly citric—although the clear suede note could well be the bergamot listed in the ‘house notes for the Ltd Cask edition.

Projection is rather modest, in stark contrast to the reviews of the prior versions. The scent stays close, even with 3 sprays, but it ran all day. I see Grev as the summer and early autumn sibling to the house's green spring scent, Mare; and an interesting counterpoint to the other SH fragrance occupying the summer/autumn slot in the line-up: Kiste.

Sidenote: the presentation is terrific—pale lime green juice in the new eliptical bottle with gun metal grey hardware. And the price is right--25% less than the rest of the line.

I’ve been looking for Grev for 2 years. Its worth the wait. Grev 2015 Ltd. is recommended to fans of minty and green-leafy fragrances, and should be sampled by folks open to unusual treatments of sandalwood and of woody aromatics generally.