Code of Conduct

Default Problems with sunscreens in US

We always complain about IFRA's and the EU's deleterious restrictions. However, apparently, in sunscreens it's the US where regulation is dragging things down. I heard about this in a video of makeup artist and blogger Lisa Eldridge:
    http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/27.../#.VbrtrPkkRE8

If I understand correctly, sunscreening molecules in the US count as medicines, which means they require drug like FDA approval (with related studies etc). A very expensive process no company wants to go through. Not so in Europe. Unlike perfumes, however, companies seem happy to make different sunscreens for Europe and the US. So certain sunscreens for sale in Europe contain more modern and effective molecules than in the US. In particular, European sunscreens can use molecules called triazines and triazones.

Anyway, this makes me want to stock up of triazone-rich stuff next time I go to Europe.

cacio

Default Re: Problems with sunscreens in US

Yep, how right you are! I always buy sunscreens from Europe for this reason, generally from Avene. The SPF actives are different from the ones that Avene markets in the US. And yes, my very favorite SPF is one that has Tinosorb S and Tinosorb M a.k.a. Methoxyphenyl Triazine and Ethylhexyl Triazone.

Good to know. I have by chance bought some Avene Hydrance legere in Europe as well (just because I always stock up on French drugstore brands there). I also like some of the La Roche Posay, some are really light, like serums, so I'll be checking if those have these molecules as well.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Good to know. I have by chance bought some Avene Hydrance legere in Europe as well (just because I always stock up on French drugstore brands there). I also like some of the La Roche Posay, some are really light, like serums, so I'll be checking if those have these molecules as well.

cacio
    Yes!! This is my HG sunscreen. But it's confusing because they make one with and without sunscreen w/ virtually the same name so, I always have to be sure I'm buying Avene Hydrance Optimale UV Legere.
    Last edited by Nouveau Nez; 31st July 2015 at 05:11 AM.

Thanks for the heads up. gotta meke sure it's UV then.

cacio

I know on the MUA forum, people used ask other in the UK to custom buy EU/UK sunscreens.
    DONNA