Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dior Homme to buy or not to buy

Dior Homme is one of those fragrances that always seems to be in the top of people's lists yet every time that i have tried it in store it never really captures me and I always walk out with something else. This has gone on now for my last 4 shopping trips and it's the same every time, wishing it to change so I can appreciate what everyone else sees in it and then all of a sudden I am walking out with a Serge, TF or Creed bag!
    I was wondering if anyone else has the same scenario with another scent and if I should just man up and buy it in the hope that wearing it for a few days will change my mind.
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Default Re: Dior Homme to buy or not to buy

Just because others love it, does not make it for you. Something more interesting to you, is grabbing you when you go to the store.

Don't worry about it, how about getting a sample and wearing for a while and then deciding?
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Just because others love it, does not make it for you. Something more interesting to you, is grabbing you when you go to the store.

Don't worry about it, how about getting a sample and wearing for a while and then deciding?
    How would I go about getting a sample Donna? Sorry I am relatively new to this whole hobby

Don't force yourself just because others like a particular fragrance. There are thousands of other fragrances out there (vintage and current). If you try liking them all, you'll go broke, or lose your significant other.

In my case, I've come to discover that I simply don't like violet or violet leaf. So, Grey Flannel and Fahrenheit are not my thing. Loads of other people like them... and that's great for them. But I won't try to force condition myself, even though I think the Fahrenheit bottle shape and color looks so cool.
    Some favorites: Pasha Incense Royale, Chopard (Oud Malaki, Noble Vetiver), Amouage (Epic Man, Tribute), Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL (M7, Kouros (1st)), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Hermes (vintage: Bel Ami, Equipage), Chanel (vintage: Antaeus, Pour Monsieur (+CC), Egoiste (+CC)), Tiffany For Men, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, Guerlain (Heritage, L'Homme Intense, LIDGE), Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental, Etro (Palais Jamais, Gomma, Vetiver, Shaal Nur, Patchouly), Davidoff Zino (1st), Acqua di Parma (Assoluta 2011, Essenza, Intensa Oud), Gianfranco Ferre For Man (1st), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque (Hesperides, Tam Dao EDP), Byredo (Accord Oud, Baudelaire)

Last edited by rulopbo; 27th August 2015 at 10:45 PM.

Just may not be your type of fragrance.

While personally far more into any flanker of this fragrance, rather than its regular version, my recommendation is to wear whatever you like and also to test/sample most or all of its flankers, even if just for mere comparison
    Currently wearing: Black Tag by Zara

I am the same way with the entire Dior Homme line.
    I keep trying it, but just can't find my way to liking it let alone loving it.
    Last edited by dealt7faux; 1st August 2015 at 08:20 PM.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_G View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has the same scenario with another scent and if I should just man up and buy it in the hope that wearing it for a few days will change my mind.
    It simply may not be a fragrance for you. Nothing wrong with that.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the advice guys, it's pretty much as I thought. It's just when so many people seem to get enjoyment from something you kind of want to experience the same. There are plenty of other fragrances the I like but that's one that I keep being drawn back to, kind of like the Serge one that smells like a bakery (sorry forgotten the name)

Last edited by rulopbo; 27th August 2015 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Move on as there are so many houses and so little time. I had the same experience with the Frederic Malle line. Great house but it just didn't do it for me. Cloves? Versatility? Don't look back.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The best place to get a sample is Sephora, in my area at least.

As others were saying, no point in buying something you're not convinced about. there are so many perfumes around.

As for samples, if I understand correctly, you're buying expensive perfumes - they should be giving you very many samples.

cacio

Last edited by pluran; 9th January 2016 at 12:22 AM.

I think the iris/lipstick note is one you might need to break your nose into.. try starting with dior homme sport (2012).. it has iris but not as much as dh & dhi. That's how it happened with me anyway.

Next time you go to sephora get a sample of dior homme to take home & give it a full wearing (on skin). You have to experience the drydown.. its the most incredible dark cocoa.
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 2nd August 2015 at 06:29 AM.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    I think the iris/lipstick note is one you might need to break your nose into.. try starting with dior homme sport (2012).. it has iris but not as much as dh & dhi. That's how it happened with me anyway.

Next time you go to sephora get a sample of dior homme to take home & give it a full wearing (on skin). You have to experience the drydown.. its the most incredible dark cocoa.
    Thats exactly what I was wondering, as you can't really appreciate the full scent in the shop maybe what I was missing was the smell of it on the skin and the development of the fragrance rather than the smell on the strip. I think I'll pop out today and give it another bash

Sound Scents

As others have said, if you don't like it, it doesn't matter how many top 10 lists it is on... Keep walking and don't look back, says I. I can admire the quality, but am not a fan of the composition. That said, even if I loved Dior Homme my advice would be the same.
    Last edited by drseid; 2nd August 2015 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_G View Post
    Thats exactly what I was wondering, as you can't really appreciate the full scent in the shop maybe what I was missing was the smell of it on the skin and the development of the fragrance rather than the smell on the strip. I think I'll pop out today and give it another bash
    Yea it takes a little while but when it gets to the drydown its amazing. And if you like the dark cocoa drydown of dior homme you'll love dior homme intense.. it starts where dior homme leaves off & performance is stellar. Cheers
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Last edited by rulopbo; 27th August 2015 at 11:00 PM.

I tried it multiple times because it does have a nice reputation, and while I found to pleasant enough, I never deemed it bottle worthy. I tried Dior Homme Intense and it was more or less the same thing, but then I tried Dior Homme Parfum. That one just clicked with me. Don't force yourself to love or like anything. There's certainly nothing wrong with trying what other people love, and I always give something a couple chances before giving up, but trust your instincts. And try the Parfum.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.

Sample wise since you are in the UK, try the big department stores. Debenhams, John Lewis,House of Fraser. If you are in one of the bigger cities, Harvey Nichols or Selfridges.
    DONNA

Sample wise since you are in the UK, try the big department stores. Debenhams, John Lewis,House of Fraser. If you are in one of the bigger cities, Harvey Nichols or Selfridges.
    Superdrug or Boots not carry these?

Or BodyCare?

Sent from HTC One
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Valentino

I've struggled with this one too so I share your pain OP. Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense alike...
    The Iris note is wonderful, but sweetened a bit too much for my taste whcih is what keeps putting me off.

My advice is get an 1ml sample (I'll PM you), or go to a store wearing no fragrance at all, and give yourself a couple of spritz. Try that for a day and see how it goes.
    Currently wearing: Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Basenotes Member

Dior Homme is easy to love, you just need to give it a bit of time to dry down and settle, then the true beauty of this perfume is unveiled.
    cheers
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I've struggled with this one too so I share your pain OP. Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense alike...
    The Iris note is wonderful, but sweetened a bit too much for my taste whcih is what keeps putting me off.

My advice is get an 1ml sample (I'll PM you), or go to a store wearing no fragrance at all, and give yourself a couple of spritz. Try that for a day and see how it goes.
    Me too. I've sampled both Dior Homme and the Intense flanker and I just find that iris doesn't grab me. But I do prefer it over violet (the only note I truly cannot stand).

Someone who has a passion for fragrance composition once told me that sometimes you may not like a note simply because you've only smelled mediocre or poor representations of it. Perhaps... but if the characteristics are that tricky to reproduce accurately, that you need to draw on the most precious and expensive sources to get it then... it's more of an exclusivity thing.

Orris Root is one of the most expensive fragrance ingredients, probably about on par with oud. Ambergris is THE most expensive. But... that's all about the natural essential oils. "Dior Homme contains ~0.25% of the most expensive orris root absolute". So it has synthetic as well as a small amount of absolute as well.
    Some favorites: Pasha Incense Royale, Chopard (Oud Malaki, Noble Vetiver), Amouage (Epic Man, Tribute), Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL (M7, Kouros (1st)), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Hermes (vintage: Bel Ami, Equipage), Chanel (vintage: Antaeus, Pour Monsieur (+CC), Egoiste (+CC)), Tiffany For Men, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, Guerlain (Heritage, L'Homme Intense, LIDGE), Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental, Etro (Palais Jamais, Gomma, Vetiver, Shaal Nur, Patchouly), Davidoff Zino (1st), Acqua di Parma (Assoluta 2011, Essenza, Intensa Oud), Gianfranco Ferre For Man (1st), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque (Hesperides, Tam Dao EDP), Byredo (Accord Oud, Baudelaire)

Quote Originally Posted by th3 View Post
    Superdrug or Boots not carry these?

Or BodyCare?

Sent from HTC One
    Don't think I've seen Dior Homme there.

For samples you can probably pick Dior Homme up from scentsamples.co.uk or scentsampler.co.uk or perfumista.co.uk.

I think DH is a good scent but would bracket with D&G The One and YSL L'Homme - smells great but doesn't last that long. It's usually not that expensive, towards the lower end of the mid-priced scents. For someone who doesn't own masses of other scents DH is likely to be a good option.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

It is not a fragrance that is going to be discontinued so no pressure to purchase it, keep trying it and either it will grow on your or it is not your cup of tea.

An easy yes.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

This.