Code of Conduct
o

Default What do you think of Nicolai Amber Oud?

What's your opinion on this "under the radar" scent Amber Oud from Parfums du Nicolai? Is it worth checking out?

Default Re: What do you think of Nicolai Amber Oud?

Brutal lavender. Lasts forever. No oud. Lots of amber. At times sweet and delicious. Gets woodier and deeper with age. But in the morning it's a lavender hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by pavel View Post
    Brutal lavender. Lasts forever. No oud. Lots of amber. At times sweet and delicious. Gets woodier and deeper with age. But in the morning it's a lavender hangover.
    So you don't like it?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Own it and love it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Very unique. It's not exactly my style, but I like it quite a bit anyway.

9/10
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Blog Entries

This one is not under the radar as it's considered a pretty nice house in Seoul as they have it set up right next to the Bvlgari Exclusive fragrances. There were about 12? on display and this is the only one that caught my olfactory palate. I think it might be oud as I get kind of sick at the smell of oud. Strong opening but it has a lovely dry down. It's amber? Well, it's a wonderful amber then. I'd get it as it's fbw imo if it wasn't for that oud accord. Great winter scent.
    Last edited by Paul H; 8th August 2015 at 06:43 AM.
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

The lavender is potent in Amber Oud for the first few hours, not as strong as in patchouli intense. Both are long lasting excellent compositions...if your not a fan of lavender I feel safe saying you won't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read in a review that the lavender here has some similarities with Guerlain Heritage. True?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I read in a review that the lavender here has some similarities with Guerlain Heritage. True?
    I don't think so.

Amber Oud from Parfums du Nicolai: It's a very strong fragrance - like all of Nicolai's perfumes - so if you like perfumes with a spread of a few meters and a sillage for hours on end, it's definitely for you!

However, you can always use only one dot of it to keep it more sustained. Or, add it to a body lotion.

I actually have a sample of it with me and I personally give it 6/10 because it's a bit too much.
    "Perfume is a form of writing, an ink, a choice made in the first person, the dot on the i, a weapon, a courteous gesture, part of the instant, a consequence." ...

Quote Originally Posted by MNX View Post
    Amber Oud from Parfums du Nicolai: It's a very strong fragrance - like all of Nicolai's perfumes - so if you like perfumes with a spread of a few meters and a sillage for hours on end, it's definitely for you!

However, you can always use only one dot of it to keep it more sustained. Or, add it to a body lotion.

I actually have a sample of it with me and I personally give it 6/10 because it's a bit too much.
    I like good sillage/projection!

Banned

I like Nicolai perfumes, and I think they’re all worth trying. They’re excellent quality and good value, and the house style is very French, very classical. Their masculines often have kind of a retro feel. They always make me feel put together. Amber Oud is not really amber and not even an oud. I don’t understand the name; it a very bright, fresh fragrance, with a classic masculine vibe, with lots of bergamot at the opening and then a lavender/incense duo that reminds me of Gris Clair, but without the pronounced orris. As it develops, it really reminds me of Nicolai’s New York; I think it’s the way the bergamot/patchouli duo are treated. So basically New York with Gris Clair.
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Kiralyne View Post
    I like Nicolai perfumes, and I think they’re all worth trying. They’re excellent quality and good value, and the house style is very French, very classical. Their masculines often have kind of a retro feel. They always make me feel put together.
    Agree with this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kiralyne View Post
    I like Nicolai perfumes, and I think they’re all worth trying. They’re excellent quality and good value, and the house style is very French, very classical. Their masculines often have kind of a retro feel. They always make me feel put together. Amber Oud is not really amber and not even an oud. I don’t understand the name; it a very bright, fresh fragrance, with a classic masculine vibe, with lots of bergamot at the opening and then a lavender/incense duo that reminds me of Gris Clair, but without the pronounced orris. As it develops, it really reminds me of Nicolai’s New York; I think it’s the way the bergamot/patchouli duo are treated. So basically New York with Gris Clair.
    I have never smelled Gris Clair so can't comment on it, but for the rest I completely agree. I think it is a fantastic put together fragrance in her signature style. So very Frech and very elegant. If you are looking for an oud or (pronounced) amber fragrance, chances are high you're going to be disappointed. But if you just take the fragrance for what it is, it is yet another winner from Nicolai in my book, and after going through two samples I decided it should end on my (very small nowadays) wishlist.
    Currently wearing: Incense Oud by Nicolaï

a quarter million, tops

So Amber Oud smells like lavendar and patchouli? Lol. How they decide on these names. Ive been meaning to sample this house as an extension of guerlains family tree, but havent made it there yet. Sounds nice.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

I'm a late convert to this House and purchased Cuir Cuba Intense and New York Intense recently and both are getting plenty of 'air time'

Both 'big' fragrances with very nice drydowns