Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dior Oud Ispahan... Why is it getting so much love?

I finally tried Oud Ispahan and I'm not impressed! Why is this getting so much love? I looked at the fragrantica reviews and these guys make it sound like this juice landed from heaven! When I first sprayed it I thought... OK... Nothing special, so this is another rose/oud combo but as synthetic and chemical smelling as possible. Then when it got to the dry down it got really annoying and irritating (must be the "woody" notes) and I felt like a headache was about to hit me. I had to go wash it off and even that wasn't easy

I knew I wasn't gonna like Oud Ispahan and I never bothered getting a sample but now I'm stuck with a 125ml bottle that I received from France because someone heard me talk about trying the Dior Prive line so they got me the two most recent releases. Next to try is Fève Délicieuse and it better not suck like Ispahan did!

Oud Ispahan.... am I the only one who "doesn't get it" ?
    Last edited by hawk; 18th August 2015 at 10:42 PM.

Default Re: Dior Oud Ispahan... Why is it getting so much love?

I was not impressed either. Average at best.

The rose part is nice but the drydown smells like the basenotes of Leather Oud. Not something I appreciated when testing this as I already have a decant of that one.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Basenotes Plus

One person's stinker is another person's treasure. It's all in personal preferences. I personally like Oud Ispahan a lot - which to me is a different take on Leather Oud. If it's not for you, don't fret, try something else...
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    One person's stinker is another person's treasure. It's all in personal preferences. I personally like Oud Ispahan a lot
    Same here.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Different strokes for different folks.

Better than Black Aoud?

It definitely didn't tickle my fancy and that's Why i don't posses a FB!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Fragrance has no gender but even the gay SA at the Dior Boutique told me Oud Ispahan wasn't for guys.

By the way the reviews on Fragrantica are CRAZY. Where do these people come from and where do they shop ? The way to do it is look for the VERY FEW negative reviews and take it from there. I have found the truth about a product many times lodged between glowing reviews.

Don't trust these forums if you can afford to lose the money. It will tear a hole in your wallet.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 19th August 2015 at 12:41 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Better than Black Aoud?
    It's *different* than Black Aoud. Whether it's "better" - that is a matter of personal opinion (and preferences). ;-) One should really try both to determine which one they like "better."

They are both very rich, very rose heavy, but to me Black Aoud rose feels 10X stronger than in Oud Ispahan, very "classic" (or "old style") and is relentless to the Nth degree. In Oud Ispahan the rose is more masculine and more 'modern' if you will, and it tones down after a while and you are rewarded with rich, warm, aromatic oudy dydown, same as in Leather Oud, with the rose squarely moved to the background.

I own both, but haven't worn Black Aoud out in public - ever. It's just too much for this guy. The bottle is for sale, LOL. Oud Ispahan I can wear without problems, and I love the warmth of the oud in it, with rose being much less of a factor.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Fragrance has no gender but even the gay SA at the Dior Boutique told me Oud Ispahan wasn't for guys.
    LOL. It's definitely unisex, and I don't have problems wearing it at all. Montale Black Aoud, on the other hand, feels **way** more feminine, with that old style, super strong rose. Yes, guys can pull it off, too (according to Basenotes reviews) but *to me*, Oud Ispahan feels way more masculine. If Oud Ispahan "wasn't for guys", then Black Aoud would be classified as "for ladies of certain age only", if you catch the drift.

Black Oud has a lot more in common with Ex Idolo Thirty Three, than with Oud Ispahan.

LOL. It's definitely unisex, and I don't have problems wearing it at all. Montale Black Aoud, on the other hand, feels **way** more feminine, with that old style, super strong rose. Yes, guys can pull it off, too (according to Basenotes reviews) but *to me*, Oud Ispahan feels way more masculine. If Oud Ispahan "wasn't for guys", then Black Aoud would be classified as "for ladies of certain age only", if you catch the drift.

Black Oud has a lot more in common with Ex Idolo Thirty Three, than with Oud Ispahan.

Thats really interesting. I feel Oud Ispahan has some kind of "sweaty rose" note that smells way more dated and "old lady" to me. I can see how people would argue Black Aoud as unisex, though.

Where does Mancera Black Line fit into all this?

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Better than Black Aoud?
    Not better - just different IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I like Oud Ispahan a lot. I just received a small decant to sample and I imagine I'll use it pretty quickly.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.

I like Oud Ispahan too, my second fav Dior Prive after Leather Oud, with Vetiver coming in 3rd.

If I recall it right - Vinrambo / Vinramani once stated, Oud Ispahan is quite close to "Gulkand" - which is made of rose & sugar syrup - while I hate that myself, I found surprisingly to like OI very much...
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

I like Oud Ispahan. Nothing like the petting zoo known as Leather Oud, and much better than Black Oud, which I didn't like and my wife begged me to never wear again.

Oud Ispahan is deep, interesting, and longevity is measured with a calendar. I can certainly see how it wouldn't be for some people. It's not very versatile, but every now and then, I really enjoy it.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    longevity is measured with a calendar.
    LOL... indeed, if you enjoy it then this is a very good thing.

Average

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post

By the way the reviews on Fragrantica are CRAZY. Where do these people come from and where do they shop ? The way to do it is look for the VERY FEW negative reviews and take it from there. I have found the truth about a product many times lodged between glowing reviews.

Don't trust these forums if you can afford to lose the money. It will tear a hole in your wallet.
    Actually its quite the opposite, the drydown of Oud Ispahan is very similar to Leather Oud + some Rose and Patchouli thrown. Those who burn burning Bakhoor will notice it has the same scent. OI does not smell like an oil more like that actually smoking scented Agarwood chips with a big dose of Gulkand ( Persian for sweetened Rose molasses ). Its quite masculine to me and to people from Eastern cultures it would be. My father who is in his 60s has the 8.4 oz bottle and loves it. I have 4.2 oz but I am planning on getting the 8.4 oz too. Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan are the best in the prive line IMO, more OI because its not been reformulated.
    Last edited by Vinrambo09; 19th August 2015 at 09:38 AM.

Sound Scents

No love here... I enjoy the rose presentation but the synthetic smelling woods are intolerable.
    Last edited by drseid; 19th August 2015 at 09:52 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

The rose-oud-leather-smoke part is nice and smooth until hour 6, whereupon the fragrance pares back the other notes to reveal a blunt, synthetic woody amber. It then proceeds to bitch slap my nose for another 24 hours, and it's that part that I find intolerable. It's a perfume that overstays its welcome. That kind of perseverance seems to be on-trend these days, especially with modern masculines.

I wear OI sometimes when I'm in the mood for a harsh, bitchy pefume, but at the end of the day, I have to scrub it off or else I am in for an unpleasant 24 hours of brutal synthetics. No worse or better than some of the rose-oud stuff that gets talked about here, like Midnight Oud (which I quite like) or Rose d'Arabie (a jammy, artificial rasberry rose grafted onto a BRUTAL dry, artifical woodsy aromachemical). I am guessing that the people who love OI are not as sensitive to woody ambers or a certain aromachemical as I am, in which case, I say lucky them!
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe
    Currently wearing: Etra by Etro

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I'm not aware of Oud Ispahan's 'massive' popularity. Anyway it's perfectly OK not to like any wildly popular fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Simply true. Sometimes, a "hero" for some people is a villain for others.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    No love here... I enjoy the rose presentation but the synthetic smelling woods are intolerable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    The rose-oud-leather-smoke part is nice and smooth until hour 6, whereupon the fragrance pares back the other notes to reveal a blunt, synthetic woody amber. It then proceeds to bitch slap my nose for another 24 hours, and it's that part that I find intolerable. It's a perfume that overstays its welcome. That kind of perseverance seems to be on-trend these days, especially with modern masculines.

...I am guessing that the people who love OI are not as sensitive to woody ambers or a certain aromachemical as I am, in which case, I say lucky them!

Exactly!
    I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Another example of the excessive use of woody bases, maybe trying to extend longevity (?) at any cost even if the fragrance ends up smelling like an explosion of synthetics.

On a positive note... Feve Delicieuse was not bad, if I have to describe it I would say it smells like a mix between Guerlain's Tonka Imperiale and SDV.

2 reasons:

The voluptuous quality rose note

And more importantly, the true to life oud wood (not oud oil) note.

It's among only a handful of oud wood based perfumes
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    2 reasons:

Very well put - I was planning to write something similar, but not being an expert on oud or oud oil, I stayed away - I don't get any synthetic vibe from OI - this isn't my favourite Dior, but it's very well made...
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Basenotes Plus

One person's stinker is another person's treasure. It's all in personal preferences. I personally like Oud Ispahan a lot - which to me is a different take on Leather Oud. If it's not for you, don't fret, try something else...
    I like it a lot too, having just bought a few bottles and more samples I am very impressed with the line. I have oud Ispahan 2nd with Ambre Nuit 1st and leather oud 3rd. All very good to me!

It's *different* than Black Aoud. Whether it's "better" - that is a matter of personal opinion (and preferences). ;-) One should really try both to determine which one they like "better."

They are both very rich, very rose heavy, but to me Black Aoud rose feels 10X stronger than in Oud Ispahan, very "classic" (or "old style") and is relentless to the Nth degree. In Oud Ispahan the rose is more masculine and more 'modern' if you will, and it tones down after a while and you are rewarded with rich, warm, aromatic oudy dydown, same as in Leather Oud, with the rose squarely moved to the background.

I own both, but haven't worn Black Aoud out in public - ever. It's just too much for this guy. The bottle is for sale, LOL. Oud Ispahan I can wear without problems, and I love the warmth of the oud in it, with rose being much less of a factor.
    Thank you. It should be worth sampling OI but I have a feeling (I am biased) that it has to be something out of the league for most scents to be better than Montale equivalent. Not sure if that makes much sense! lol

But since OI is a good performer, I think it should be sampled as at least it has one must have characteristic.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    2 reasons:

At what stage did you get the oud wood ? and how long did it last? cuz I missed that note!!!

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    ... I don't get any synthetic vibe from OI - this isn't my favourite Dior, but it's very well made...
    Try to apply it to skin and wait for the dry down... if you still don't smell anything synthetic/chemical and you still think it's smooth then you're so lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    At what stage did you get the oud wood ? and how long did it last? cuz I missed that note!!!
    From spray to end.

Its one of those notes you either know or dont I guess.
    for swap/sale: