Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's the ultimate compliment monster for daily use?

I wear fragrances to get compliments and boost my confidence

however, i dont like wearing fragrances that are known by almost everybody, so refrain from saying bleu, aventus, 212, acqua de gio, terre d'hermes, etc.

thanks in advance

Default Re: What's the ultimate compliment monster for daily use?

Well since most of the "ultimate compliment getters" are widely known mainstream fragrances....and you state you don't like wearing those. You might not be getting "ultimate" ones....but still many very good ones!

original Curve(all time top compliment getter)
    Allure Home Sport and Versace PH are tops too....but again, probably not something your interested in

So....a couple of VERY good(somewhat out of the norm)compliment getters as of late

Bond #9 Scent Of Peace
    BOTH Lacoste L-12 White and L-12 Noir(which I might argue gets even more comments than White)
    Mont Blanc Legend Intense
    Eph 2:8: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Kouros

Just a few that come to mind:

by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    Profumi di Pantelleria - Maestrale
    Hugo Boss - Boss Soul
    Oriza L. Legrand - Reve d'Ossian
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Amyris Homme
    Bond No. 9 - Bleecker Street
    Current Fall Favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Creed - Aventus
    5. Dior - Vetiver
    6. Armani Privè - Cedre Olympe
    7. Ermenegildo Zegna - Haitian Vetiver
    8. Ermenegildo Zegna - Javanese Patchouli
    9. AJ Arabia - I
    10. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back

Quote Originally Posted by username3 View Post
    I wear fragrances to get compliments and boost my confidence............
    Needs compliments to boost confidence.............................

I've never recvd compliments every time I've worn a particular fragrance - frankly, I normally don't pay much attention either...

Regardless, some of my regular cologne's that have garnered compliments are Eau Sauvage, Boucheron PH, Opium PH, Habit Rouge, Encre Noire, Aoud Lime etc to name a few...
    Currently wearing: French Line by Révillon

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    +1 on this one.

Back in my Mad Man days and when I returned to college to get my bachelor's degree, this was my unsolicited compliment king (in the case of the ad agency - by far).

I'll also throw in Musk Oud from the same house.
    "The stench / The stench / Of summer sex / And CK Eternity, oh hell yes"
    -Fall Out Boy, "Uma Thurman"
    Currently wearing: Musk Oud by By Kilian

My confidence is usually on level 10. But,, I would go with Aventus.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

As I rarely get compliments, any fragrance I use which renders a positive reaction from someone could be considered a surprise "compliment monster"
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Last edited by rulopbo; 28th August 2015 at 01:39 AM.

Just because a fragrance is popular on here (cough cough aventus) doesn't mean its widely known in the real world. 99.9% of the people that compliment my fragrances have never even heard of creed or bond no9 or any other niche frags. Most people only know what's sold in macy's or wal-mart.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    Just because a fragrance is popular on here (cough cough aventus) doesn't mean its widely known in the real world. 99.9% of the people that compliment my fragrances have never even heard of creed or bond no9 or any other niche frags. Most people only know what's sold in macy's or wal-mart.
    Very true...outside of our little fragrance universe here on BN's, I seriously doubt if even 1 out of 1000 people know of Aventus.(or even Creed for that matter)

I know when I first started lurking here around late '08-'09, was the first time I'd ever heard of "Creed"....and wondered what it was and why I had never seen it in a Macy's/Sephoria/ect. lol
    Eph 2:8: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-

GIT, OV, and a fierce have been my very top compliment getters. It's true that people have to smell it to get a compliment.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of people know about Aventus. We actually have a natural store here where I live that has a pretty sizable cologne collection and the same women seem to work there most of the time so I've talked with them a good bit now. They tell me they are selling "A LOT" of Aventus. As in, it is in their top 2 - 3 sellers out of well over 200 colognes.

If someone googles or youtubes a "most complimented" the hype is there that I think a decent amount of *guys* have heard of it. I think a good number of women have smelled it but might not know it by name.

As far as the OP question goes: Currently I'm getting really good compliments with Versace Pour Homme, Encre Noire/EN Sport, CK Men Euphoria, and Nautica Voyage is like one of my all time top compliment getters (the weather here just suits it perfect). I swear I can't get a compliment with Aventus or any of the clones to save my life. Just goes to show you don't need to spend a ton if you want compliments.

Usually, quite popular choices, quite likely to be complimented in the first place- including: Boss Bottled, Gucci Envy for Men, even the super-cheapie Black Suede Touch by Avon. Apparently, these simple, relatively popular choices seem to get more compliments rather than more expensive, complicated, formal, artsy and/or obscure choices.
    Currently wearing: Black Suede by Avon

Okay, with all due respect to the OP, this 'compliment factor' is neither necessary nor sufficient for the enjoyment of any fragrance.

It's like a butterfly buzzing about in the garden, or a 'bird on the horizon, sitting on a fence' ("You're a Big Girl Now", from Blood on the Tracks /1975/ B. Dylan).

Always welcome, always appreciated, but never the guiding factor.

Pick fragrances that not only smell good to YOU, but also make you think. If you're looking for something like a 'signature scent' (or just 2-3 that you would like to rotate), look for the ones that you love, that make you think and also that you can connect to.

*Just a general comment*.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Okay, with all due respect to the OP, this 'compliment factor' is neither necessary nor sufficient for the enjoyment of any fragrance.

It's a like a butterfly buzzing about in the garden, or a 'bird on the horizon, sitting on a fence' ("You're a Big Girl Now from Blood on the Tracks /1974/ B. Dylan").

Always welcome, always appreciated, but never the guiding factor.

Pick fragrances that not only smell good to YOU, but also make you think. If you're looking for something like a 'signature scent' (or just 2-3 that you would like to rotate), look for the ones that you love, that make you think and also that you can connect to.

*Just a general comment*.

Freewheelingvagabond understands the marvel which is fragrance creation. He's a great asset to this site. :-)

The only reason you should wear a fragrance is because you like it.

Agree with this.

I know a lot of French people and they have never heard of Creed let alone Aventus. I have yet to meet someone who has heard of Creed. And once they have heard of Creed, they would never pay the price asked for Creeds. Before I got into fragrances, I would never have paid more than £30 for a fragrance and I think 99% are still in this category.

Airport duty frees are a good place to observe. Most people are looking at the D&G, Dior, Chanel, Boss, Gucci etc or discount sections. Tom Ford, Zegna, or any niche have the odd person visiting their section. If a Basenotes flight was passing through this would be flipped!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of people know about Aventus. We actually have a natural store here where I live that has a pretty sizable cologne collection and the same women seem to work there most of the time so I've talked with them a good bit now. They tell me they are selling "A LOT" of Aventus. As in, it is in their top 2 - 3 sellers out of well over 200 colognes.
    I wouldn't buy any products at *that* natural products store if they are selling Aventus. That stuff is hardly a natural product.

As to the OP's question... There are no "compliment monsters". Just wear compositions you enjoy.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Only you can be a compliment monster. If they were going to compliment they would've on anything that smells pleasant and is noticeable.
    Be someone that people want to approach and talk to and they will compliment your scent as a way to do that. Perhaps cultivate a social circle where you compliment one another on anything and everything.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

for compliments :
    1) 212 Men ---Mainstream --grassy / mossy / citrus ---safe for Office and I do get noticed whenever I wear it
    2) Acqua Di Geo -Essenza or Porfumo --new additions to the hugely popular ADG --Quite mainstream so I am not sure if this fits your criterion ...
    3) Calvin Klein --Eternity for Men ---again a old time favorite
    4) CH Men --Carolina Herrera ---should try it
    5) Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée EDT ---new addition to my wardrobe ...getting noticed for it in office...
    6) Dunhill Icon

there are others as well .....but I guess these are the top 6 in my list ..which I recall ...of mainstream designer bottles that I have.

Mugler Cologne (or its impostor Original Vetiver)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I wouldn't buy any products at *that* natural products store if they are selling Aventus. That stuff is hardly a natural product.
    Hahaha

As to the OP's question... There are no "compliment monsters". Just wear compositions you enjoy.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Only you can be a compliment monster. If they were going to compliment they would've on anything that smells pleasant and is noticeable.
    Be someone that people want to approach and talk to and they will compliment your scent as a way to do that. Perhaps cultivate a social circle where you compliment one another on anything and everything.
    This reminds me of the 'like' fests on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Hahaha

+1.

This reminds me of the 'like' fests on Facebook.
    I thought that kind of circle jerk might be just the thing of you're in that much need of validation. Sure it all becomes shallow and meaningless, but a compliment is a compliment.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Well said.

IMO, you cannot say that when you wear fragrance X, you gets compliment. So, its very hard to call a fragrance as "compliment monster" or something like that. It depends upon many factors.

I rarely get compliments for fragrances. Only for the followings fragrances I got compliments and all were very unexpected for me:
    1. LDDM
    2. Joop
    3. Jovan Musk
    4. Carnal Flower

+1.. GIT..... Before my bottle went off I always used to get compliments on this one. That lush violet accord is intoxicating.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Just a few thoughts, as the discourse is already under way:
    • What gets me a compliment might not get you, or even the fragrance itself, one. I believe people compliment the impression a fragrance makes in combination with other characteristics, style, etc, even though they might not like the same fragrance out of the bottle, or the way someone else wears it.
    • A positive comment on a fragrance isn't necessarily a compliment – someone telling me my cologne "smells nice, like candy" might not concern the impression-of-me it makes, rather the smell itself.
    • Many "compliments" are graceful hints that one is wearing too much. Cologne guys are worryingly oblivious to this.
    • People from different age groups and demographics will obviously compliment wildly different fragrances depending on their preferences.

With that said, e.g. Yatagan, Z-14, Signoricci, Caraceni 1913 and Cacharel Pour l'Homme have been complimented on me. Which, according to the above, says more about me and my peers than the perfumes.

EDIT: Interestingly, Johnny_Ludlow makes a somewhat similar argument regarding "sexiness" in another thread.
    Last edited by noitsnotme; 20th August 2015 at 12:29 PM.

Versace Pour Homme
    Insurrection Pure II
    Play Intense
    ADG Profumo
    Fierce
    Dior Homme Eau
    Body Kouros
    Love & Luck
    Le Male - if its not crazy popular in your area anymore...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The store is split in two. One side carries all of their natural products and is sort of like Whole Foods which is how they originally started. The other side is a like health and beauty section so they have extensive collections of products there. As I said they have well over 200 colognes and the same if not more for perfumes.

As far as people responding to the OP there are two completely different thought processes going on. That's fine if all you are worried about is how you like fragrances. How many of the people saying, "Just wear fragrances you like." Etc, if they had a date and knew which cologne he/she liked and didn't like it as much as others wouldn't wear the cologne the date liked more? I don't see that much different than wanting to pick colognes to start with that seem to garner more compliments.

There are scents I like that my wife hates. I'm not going to wear it around her because more important to me than a cologne I like is how my wife responds to colognes I'm wearing.

Agree completely. I'd reckon that the number of women I know who smelled 212 Men before they smelled it on me is probably 0. Outside of social situations where there are a lot of people in close contact who wear perfume (e.g., the college clubbing scene, with Le Male, 1 Million, etc), by and large concern about this is a fabrication of perfume hobbyists, IMO and IME.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling
    Absolutely. A few times, I've told the story about how the number of compliments I received in the decades leading up to me getting separated/divorced is probably zero. In the years afterwards, that picked up, and now I get the pretty often (more often than I'll say, since there are "compliment skeptics" who think we're lying). I definitely am wearing waaaaay better perfumes now, but I also have a wider social circle, I date heavily, I socialize and carouse with women, and even in non-carousing situations, I'm far more approachable to women (plus, they know I'm single), and there's no doubt in my mind that that made all the difference in whether a woman feels free to compliment me or not.

To answer the OP, I had a buddy who wore The One for Men as an exclusive signature scent for a couple of years. I saw firsthand it was a compliment-monster for him. It's got all the right ingredients: to most people it smells absolutely incredible, and it's hard to overspray or overproject, and as a whole women like closer, more subtle fragrances far better. Plus, the guy is super approachable. Those are all the magic ingredients needed
    Last edited by Uvalde; 20th August 2015 at 04:50 PM.