Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thumbs up Re: Black Tea Accord

Quote Originally Posted by cybervoltage View Post
    I'm working on a fragrance with a black tea note and needed a black tea accord. Wasn't having any luck finding one so decided to build my own. I found a few different sources online for the volatile chemicals in black tea from GC-MS and came up with the following formula:

06.9 Indole
    02.9 Methyl Anthranilate
    13.5 Nerolidol
    06.7 CIS-Jasmone
    04.9 Ionone Beta
    02.9 Benzyl Alcohol
    06.7 Geraniol
    30.7 Linalool
    04.9 Aldehyde C-8
    06.1 Phenylethyl Alcohol
    01.0 Methyl Salicilate
    06.7 Damscone Beta
    06.1 Cis-3-Hexanol (Leaf Alcohol)
    ------

I'm happy with the results. This is a very powerful black tea note. If anyone decides to mix this up - I would appreciate feedback.

Thank you so much for this. I really enjoyed the accord, and I think it is quite useable.
    I ultimately reduced the amount of indole in the formula... personal preference.
    Last edited by julian35; 8th October 2017 at 03:47 AM.

Default Re: Black Tea Accord

Hi all, Ive been hacking away at tea unsuccessfully for some time. Came across this and Im now dying to try this accord, the results sound fantastic. I'm am however short a couple materials (which can we weeks/months of waiting in South Africa....), do you think I can substitute the following?

Ionone Beta - Ionone Alpha (a touch woodier?)
    Benzyl Alcohol - Benzyl Benzoate?
    Aldehyde C8 - Aldehyde C10, the C8 (although Ive never smelt it) seems to be slightly more complex but both cores are strong aldehyde & citrus.
    Nerolidol - Im a bit stumped here, perhaps Vertenex? But its probably not green enough?

Or perhaps somebody could suggest a different tea accord? I have Hay absolute which I think is a good start.

Thank you for all you insite above cybervoltage and pkiler

Basenotes Plus

You can try what you have...

Nerolidol to vertenex, not really.

Also, I think the formula has way too much Cis-3-Hexenol.
    My formula drafts following this accord deleted it, in favor of the other real GC results original components, which all were too strong and had to be backed down.

As for a Tea accord, Have you tried Black tea absolute? Black Tea absolute colorless?

I too got very excited with the accord quoted above, but found it too harsh and shrill in the end.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Ok thanks Paul, good to know.

Yes I must agree was quite surprised by the cis-3-hexenol amount, it's one of my favourite molecules so I'm very aware of its power.
    Digging around some more it does however seems worth it to get some Nerolidol, its seems to be quite a versatile material.
    I havent tried Black Tea Absolute or Black Tea Absolute colourless, they sound fantastic! Could you recommend a supplier for either?

Thanks again

I recently tried making a smaller amount as shown in the original CG chart above.The only material I didn't have was the aldehyde C-6. The result was bad. So bad I poured it all out onto the wooden fence in my yard. I couldn't stand to continue to test it. Yours is infinitely better Cyber!

Basenotes Member rauvolfioideae's Avatar

I’ve found ketoisophorone to be really handy in making a tea accord.
    -Timothy

I made Cyber's accord about a month ago and really like it. So thankful for it! I let it sit for about a week and it blended into a nice, deep black tea scent. In fact, I was having tea some time after that (I usually steep loose black tea rather than tea bags) and when I was about to pour the steeped, wet tea leaves bunch out, I smelled it and it was pretty much like the accord! I did vary the accord slightly by using Idole at 50%, the Aldehyde at 10% and the Hexanol-cis-3 at 0.20 rather than 0.40, but only because it was just my preference. If it had not worked out, I would have matched the original, but I found I did not need to.

Hi Cybervoltage;

Thank you for sharing your tea accord ! I am assuming your Indole is at 1% dilution in the formula. Correct ?

I would appreciate any feedback you could provide
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Gusromero1 View Post
    Hi Cybervoltage;

Thank you for sharing your tea accord ! I am assuming your Indole is at 1% dilution in the formula. Correct ?

I looked at my ingredients list and the indole I have is at 50% - so that's the strength of Indole I used, at the percentage (or amount) in my posts.

Hi Cybervoltage;

I looked at my ingredients list and the indole I have is at 50% - so that's the strength of Indole I used, at the percentage (or amount) in my posts. Sibie confirmed this when he made my formula - he used 50% as well and I'm sure that's what I used.

Sibie - you are right about the Indole. I looked back and discovered that the Indole I used in my original formula was at 50% dilution. I will go back and correct that in my original formula posts.

Quote Originally Posted by cybervoltage View Post
    I looked at my ingredients list and the indole I have is at 50% - so that's the strength of Indole I used, at the percentage (or amount) in my posts. Sibie confirmed this when he made my formula - he used 50% as well and I'm sure that's what I used.
    Great, so I assume all incredients are undiluted but índole is at 50% and aldehyde at 10%..
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Great, so I assume all incredients are undiluted but índole is at 50% and aldehyde at 10%..
    The aldehyde should be dosed at 100% - no dilution.

Hello cybervoltage
    I would be happy to make up your tea accord but I don t have benzyl alcohol, methyl salicylate and aldehyde c 8... Can i use benzyl acetate, amyl salicylate and aldehyde c11 or c12?
    From freedom came elegance:
    in the Finnish man we trust

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sober View Post
    Hello cybervoltage
    I would be happy to make up your tea accord but I don t have benzyl alcohol, methyl salicylate and aldehyde c 8... Can i use benzyl acetate, amyl salicylate and aldehyde c11 or c12?
    No, those are not equivalents...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.