Code of Conduct

Smile Best Suggestions For Blind Buying-Designer, Niche-Current or Vintage

Hello all,

This is my first post and I would greatly appreciate your collective help. Three weeks ago, I did a simple search for suggested men's fragrances..and came upon this site and the multitude of YouTube video reviews etc...I had no idea there was such a large community focused on fragrances for men...now I am addicted and am starting a collection. In this few weeks, I am up to about 35 fragrances so far. Although I am from the U.S., I am living and working in Asia for many years and won't return to the U.S. for about 8 more months at least. So, I am blind buying everything based upon suggestions, reviews etc., purchasing from Fragrancenet, Luckyscent, Amazon and eBay (very selective).
    I have everything shipped and stored in the U.S. with family. I do not mind taking the risks on fragrances. I see it will be a great adventure of discovery when I return.

I would love your best suggestions for designer, niche and rare/vintage/original formulations that I must have as part of a varied, top notch collection. I also like suggestions of your top overlooked, underrated hidden gems. Thank you!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Best Suggestions For Blind Buying-Designer, Niche-Current or Vintage

Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Bond No.9 Bleeker St
    Zegna Hatian Vetiver

That will get you started lol
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King

Default Re: Best Suggestions For Blind Buying-Designer, Niche-Current or Vintage

35 in 3 weeks? Nice but u can do better, now that u are on Basenotes!!!

Don't know what u have purchased so far, but here are some suggestions:

Leather: Derby, Or Black, Rien, Knize Ten, Habit Rouge, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Antaeus, Cuir de Russie, Mona di Orio Cuir

Citrus: Acqua Viva, Hadrien Absolu, Orange Sanguine, l'Humaniste

Tobacco: Tribute attar, Interlude Man, Tabacco, Tobacco Oud

Classics: way too many to list, but start off with Eau Sauvage & Chanel Pour Monsieur (& Nobile / Moustache / Jicky, Shalimar) etc...

Woods: Egoiste, Tam Dao, Royal Oud, Bois des Iles

Incense: Sahar Noir, Epic Man, Jubilation XXV, Cardinal, Blackbird, Incense Oud

Vetiver: Encre Noire, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Guerlain Vetiver, Annick Goutl Vetiver, Route du Vetiver, Dior Vetiver, Sycomore

Oud: nothing beats pure oud iul, but here are few recommendations - Oud Wood, Mona di Orio Oud, M7, Oud Absolu
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

Thank you. Off sweetstench's list I have none of those yet and badarun, I have interlude, epic, jubilation and encore noir. So many things to buy.....this is like when I started collecting wine a long time ago.... it is exciting, head spinning and mind numbing

Yup, know how u feel - kid in a candy store

Try these too Furyo, Sova (& others from Slumberhouse), Muscs Koublai Khan, Cuir Mauresque, Filles en Aiguilles, Bogue Maai, Jules, Gucci Pour Homme 1976...
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

Cuir Sacre by Atelier Des Or
    Cicatrices by LM Parfums
    Oud Royal by Armani Prive
    Honey Aoud by Montale
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacificblue View Post
    Hello all,
    I am living and working in Asia for many years and won't return to the U.S. for 8 months
    The airport workers might confiscate your fragrances.
    Last edited by Fragrance junkie; 28th August 2015 at 07:28 AM.

Hold onto your money and visit Saks Or Bergdof Goodman when you get to NYC. Otherwise you will waste A LOT of money.

However do as you wish:

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille
    Parfums de Nicolai - NY Intense / Patchouli Intense

Thank you hednic!! Lots of great suggestions....learning about most of these for the first time.....

I did buy one vintage, so far, Insense.....should be delivered soon.....

Gotta start somewhere....

everything is being sent to my USA home.....I would never, buy or have sent or try to take fragrances to the USA back from here......

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Hold onto your money and visit Saks Or Bergdof Goodman when you get to NYC. Otherwise you will waste A LOT of money.

However do as you wish:

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille
    Parfums de Nicolai - NY Intense / Patchouli Intense
    I buy wine for so many years off expert reviews.....that listening to people in the know, combined with more research...should yield very good results for fragrance purchases....without the previous experience with wine, I am sure I would be more hesitant...

Hello all,

I would love your best suggestions for designer, niche and rare/vintage/original formulations that I must have as part of a varied, top notch collection. I also like suggestions of your top overlooked, underrated hidden gems. Thank you!
    Why dont you tell us roughly what you've bought so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoril Nerevar View Post
    Why dont you tell us roughly what you've bought so far?
    Just had not had the time to go through all the purchase emails and wrote down....will do soon...

Things like Pure Malt, pure leather, pure wood, CH Men, la nuit de l'homme, interlude, epic, memoir, reflection, jubilation, Gucci ph II, LDDM, Insense (original formula), givenchy PI (original), Burberry London, The One, Pure homme intense.....etc etc

Designer: Bentley for Men Intense
    Niche: Aventus
    Rare Vintage: Fahrenheit

A few to consider..
    Niche: Music Ravageur, New Haarlem, Aventus,
    Designer: Nautical Voyage, Dior Homme & Intense, Mugler Cologne, Au Masculine..

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L00 using Tapatalk
    Prashanth

Sound Scents

Some "must haves," at least to *my* taste from past and present (though just the first 10 that come to mind and quite far from complete):

Polo by Ralph Lauren (vintage) -- Known by just about everyone and worn by most in the late 70s, 80s and 90s for good reason!
    Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills (vintage) -- The epitome of the great powerhouse 80's.
    Cuiron by Helmut Lang -- A reference suede leather.
    Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle -- A reference quality rose and patchouli composition that is easily wearable by all. Modern day powerhouse.
    Javanese Patchouli by Zegna -- reference quality soft patchouli only sold in Zegna stores (maybe can be found on EBay).
    Tzora by Anat Fritz (or Terre d'Hermès if you can't find it) -- I prefer Tzora, but both are excellent all-around wear options that smell incredible.
    Oud Shamash by The Different Company -- Less of an Oud focus (but does have some real, smooth Oud in it), and more of an incredible spicy woody.
    Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain -- An outstanding, easy to wear Eau de cologne that also is great for layering.
    Patou pour Homme Privé by Jean Patou -- Reference quality aromatic lavender driven fougère.
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver by Mona di Orio -- A superb Vetiver composition with a gorgeous natural Virginia cedar focus.
    Last edited by drseid; 30th August 2015 at 07:57 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: As Sawira by Penhaligon's

I just would like to recommend you 3 historical pieces of art: Aramis by Aramis, Aramis Havana and Guerlain Habit Rouge. You can't miss these creations among thousands you could pick up.
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    I just would like to recommend you 3 historical pieces of art: Aramis by Aramis, Aramis Havana and Guerlain Habit Rouge. You can't miss these creations among thousands you could pick up.
    You mean the current versions or some older version? I am new to this so apologies in advance.

You mean the current versions or some older version? I am new to this so apologies in advance.
    Frankly the current versions of the Aramis fragrances are excellent while unfortunately the current Habit Rouge (still anyway more than good) lacks the baroque hesperidic "gradeur" and the complexity of the vintage versions (for instance the formulations I used to wear in the 90's).
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Jacomo de Jacomo
    Aramis Havana
    Kouros
    Album of the week: Take Ten (1963) - Paul Desmond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1gZS5RSN_w

Basenotes Plus

Underrated and not expensive:

Carven Homme
    Remy Latour Cigar
    Vermeil Pour Homme
    Duc de Vervins L'Extreme
    Chevignon For Men
    Esencia Pour Homme
    Montana Black Edition
    Montana Parfum L'Homme
    Herrera For Men

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Let me suggest the following:

Classic(VHTF)-Phileas-Nina Ricci, Derby-Guerlain(the chevron bottle)
    Niche-Musc Ravageur-F. Malle, Classical-Anat Fritz, 34Blvd St. Germain-Diptyque
    If 2 vegans argue is it still called a beef?
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Fahrenheit has to be in that haul waiting for you. Current formulation is incredible. I'd also get M7 Oud Absolu or vintage M7 if price is no object
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Looking for: Le Male pre-2012 bottles. PM me!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries

In Asia the airport shops in Dubai and in Abu Dhabi have great selections - found some old Amouage Attars there. Try DIOR Homme Intense, Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert, and some Le Labos - their City Selection in currently in the online shop - a rare event not to be missed.