Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best quality scent/ingredients you´ve ever smelled

Ok, guys, here´s another question:

- What is/are the fragrance(s) with best quality of scent (regarding its ingredients), that you´ve ever smelled?

Here are mine:

- Xerjoff Nio
    - Creed Virgin Island Water
    - Amouage Lyric Man
    - Slumberhouse Norne

Default Re: Best quality scent/ingredients you´ve ever smelled

Amouage attars
    ASAQ The One blends
    Amouage Gold Man vintage
    Chanel Bois des Iles vintage
    Godet Parfums Cuir de Russie
    Grossmith Hasu No Hana
    Neela Vermeire Ashoka and Trayee
    Xerjoff Irisss
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyacl View Post

What is/are the fragrance(s) with best quality of scent (regarding its ingredients), that you've ever smelled?
    For me: Rouge 540 & No.1 Pure Parfum Concentrated Limited
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Creed Windsor

Czech & Speake No. 88 (vintage), Forester's rose and geranium are superb.

Guerlain Samsara edp (vintage), it contains copious amounts of fine mysore sandalwood.

Amouage Ubar (vintage) & Gold Man (vintage), another example where the quality of ingredients just shines through.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 30th August 2015 at 03:07 PM.

Xerjoff 1861 Renaissance

Invasion Barbare

Ambre 114

Eau Sauvage Parfum

Blackbird

A lot people seem to have some kind of revelation with their first Xerjoff. I have to admit, I was kind of blown away by the quality of the citrus components in 1861 when I applied it for the first time. It instantly put everything else beneath it in that regard, even great stuff like Selection Verte and Guerlain Homme L'Eau.

Until 1861, Invasion Barbare undoubtedly had the highest quality ingredients of anything I had tried. The notes are just so full and rich, it's a completely different feeling wearing IB than your average fragrance.

Ambre 114 is my holy grail amber. It's so deceptively simple, but underneath the light, billowy white amber there's a lot going on, and it has many facets that are subtle and appear here and there at random times. Apparently the amber contains 114 elements, which I don't if I believe, but a lot of thought and complexity definitely can be found within Ambre 114.

Eau Sauvage Parfum surprised me by the quality of its ingredients. It smells like something that should cost over $250, and not like something you would run into during a random trip to Sephora. Its myrrh is impeccable, in my opinion. An absolute bargain if it suits your style.

Blackbird by House of Matriarch uses so many naturals, at least it feels like that. The leather note is alive and actually smells like a really hardcore authentic leather, and the oud in the base is very deep and dark and rich. It's actual real oud, not the synthetic oud found in the majority of oud fragrances. I haven't encountered any other perfume that incorporates such a variety of bizarre scents (leather, sea weed/sea water, incense, oud, cannabis) which all smell so natural and rich.

Honorable mention to Puredistance M, which I found very complex and opulent, with high quality ingredients. Though it's not my style, I actually felt it approached its high price tag in terms of what it offered.

+1 Norne I don't think I'll ever find a conifer-based fragrance that's as realistic and deep as Norne. It's a true masterpiece to me.

I think discussion about quality of ingredients is a little odd (since it's pure speculation based on the end product), but these strike me as being made with very good ingredients

Creed - Jardin d'Amalfi
    Roja Dove - Enigma Pour Homme
    Roja Dove - UAE Oud
    Xerjoff - Fars
    Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    Clive Christian - X for Men
    Creed - Spice & Wood
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

Almost any Guerlain- for vanilla, tonka, high quality gourmand notes

Knize Ten- among the best leathers, also combined with good quality heavy traditional florals

Almost any by L'Occitane, as well as by ADP- for Mediterranean and citrus notes, subtropical climate non-synthetically rendered in a bottle

Blenheim Bouquet, along with a few other good fragrances by Penhaligons- outstanding piney and/or chypre dominated variations on fairly classic, but not dated nor too formalized themes

Basenotes Plus

Some good examples above though quality ingredients don't always guarantee a great scent. Expert blending is far a better benchmark, IMHO.

Vintage ..

Patou Pour Homme.
    Yohji Homme.
    Zino.

Current ..

Diaghilev.
    Chypre Palatin.
    The vast majority by Guerlain / Chanel.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 30th August 2015 at 05:16 PM.

Amouage Homage & Tribute Attars Vintage
    +1 Chypre Palatin
    April Aromatics Precious Woods
    Xerjoff Kobe
    +1 Ambre 114
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

For me....

X For Men Perfume Spray by Clive Christian
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    34 by Diptyque
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Chanel Coromandel
    Dior Eau Savauge
    Le Labo Bergamote 22
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinare
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Parfum d’Empire Musc Tonkin
    Frederic Malle Eau D Hiver
    Frapin L´Humaniste
    Serge Lutens - Chergui
    Frederic Malle Portrait of a lady
    Nasomatto - Black Afgano
    Ambre Precieux EDT by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

There is a scene in the movie Jurassic Park:

A child, exploring the interior of the car he is riding in, pulls a pair of very strange looking binoculars from under his seat. Another Person in the car asks him; "Are they heavy?"

The child replies that they are, and is told: "Then they are expensive. Put 'em back."

With that in mind-I don't have the most educated, experienced or disciplined nose, but these fragrances have a richness or a "density" to them that (to me at least) - means quality.

Amouage Jubilation XXV

Creed Millesime 1849

House of Matriarch Blackbird

Clive Christian X for Men
    Last edited by Stinky Pete; 30th August 2015 at 04:15 PM.

Roja Dove - Diaghilev
    Roja Dove - Danger Pour Homme Parfum
    Roja Dove - Fetish Pour Homme Parfum
    Neela Vermeire - Trayee

I think all the talk about high quality ingredients is a big lie. Geza Schön, one of the creators of Clive Christian Fragrances, once said some interesting and insightful things in an interview published on a german fragrance blog:

We asked Geza Schön for a specific brief he got during his time at Haarmann und Reimer: Clive Christian. They say that the old Crown Perfumery fragrances, reanimated and produced in an expensive way, where the inspiration for Clive Christians fragrances. Is that true?

Geza Schön: "It was just like any other brief: A marketing lady stumbled into the laboratory and says: "We got a new brand and quickly need 6 scents, no matter what, but not too expensive!" Patricia Choux and I where there by chance, and so we shared the brief. Each of us made 3 scents."

And the extremely high price? They say the expensive ingredients and the exclusive way of making the fragrance justifies the price? He shakes his head, grinning again.

(...)

It's simply the price tag and the ultra luxurious image that defines those 'exclusive' fragrances, and not what's inside the bottle.
    So there we have it. No matter if it's Clive Christian, Roja Dove or XerJoff, they all use the same ingredients that Chanel, Dior, Hermès, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana and all the others use. The high price is just marketing.
    Last edited by Sasuke; 30th August 2015 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke View Post
    I think all the talk about high quality ingredients is a big lie. Geza Schön, one of the creators of Clive Christian Fragrances, once said some interesting and insightful things in an interview published on a german fragrance blog:

So there we have it. No matter if it's Clive Christian, Roja Dove or XerJoff, they all use the same ingredients that Chanel, Dior, Hermès, Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana and all the others use. The high price is just marketing.
    Hmmm, do you find the quality of ingredient is the same when you smell CK One and Lyric Man?

Do you find the same between Boss Orange and Bigarade Concentree?

Although I respect your opinion, I disagree with you.

As I've recently started testing the Chanel Les Exclusifs line, I've been consistently surprised at the quality. Coromandel, Sycomore and Misia especially.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.

I do notice a significant difference between Boss Orange and Bigarade Concentree, and I would instinctively say that this difference is a difference in quality of raw materials. But maybe the difference is not in the quality of the ingredients, but the choice of ingredients? Maybe the reason why Boss and Gucci don't use what would make their fragrances smell like Malle and Roja is because it wouldn't work in mainstream, and not because these materials are too expensive? It could be that the ingredients used in niche are not commercial enough, and that's why they are rarely used. Well, this is just a guess based on what perfumer Geza Schön said.

I think it comes down to how well the ingredients are blended, most ingredients are supplied just by a handful of retailers from around the world (most likely - assuming here). For example, I hold D&G By Man & the original Calvin Klein for men very high - I don't think the ingredients alone played a major role in these 2 smelling rich to me...
    Currently wearing: Nobile by Gucci

Well, this is just a guess based on what perfumer Geza Schön said.
    I think it should probably be taken with a grain of salt - simply because it came from a perfumer. Of course he will downplay the importance of the ingredients - that way it leaves more credit for himself.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    9. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

Basenotes Plus

Tauer Une Rose De Kandahar
    Creed Jardin D'Amalfi
    Roja Enigma Pour Homme
    Xerjoff Nio
    Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine
    Follow me on Instagram @ Bay_Area_Cologne_King
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

First thing that comes to mind is MFK Absolue pour le Soir, which I happen to be wearing again today. It's rich and multifaceted and smells much more expensive than its asking price.

Also:

Chanel exlusifs
    most Histoires des Parfums (Ambre 114 is a great example)
    Amouage Memoir Man, Dia Man
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Almost any Guerlain- for vanilla, tonka, high quality gourmand notes

Knize Ten- among the best leathers, also combined with good quality heavy traditional florals

Almost any by L'Occitane, as well as by ADP- for Mediterranean and citrus notes, subtropical climate non-synthetically rendered in a bottle

Blenheim Bouquet, along with a few other good fragrances by Penhaligons- outstanding piney and/or chypre dominated variations on fairly classic, but not dated nor too formalized themes
    I pretty much agree with Ken.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Pretty much anything from La Via del Profumo.

I think all the talk about high quality ingredients is a big lie. Geza Schön, one of the creators of Clive Christian Fragrances, once said some interesting and insightful things in an interview published on a german fragrance blog:...

Agreed. Nor do I believe many, if any, here are qualified to discern quality of materials used in any fragrance. You either like the smell or you don't. You either like the longevity/sillage performance or you don't. Who, here, knows for fact what materials are actually used within any of the stated fragrances and/or which materials or combos are actually responsible for the smell they like (let alone the fixative, diffusive or other qualities some perfuming materials are prized for)? I have no facts, but my pragmatic intuition tells me NOBODY. Hence, these discussions are once again all about opinions and perceptions revolving around the sensations that many of us would term rich, opulent, etc.

I'm currently wearing a green-tea scent (Bulgari - The Vert Extreme). It's light and fresh. I'm not surprised not to see it or any other light and fresh scents listed in this, or similar, thread(s) so far. It's not perceived as dense, opulent, or rich, like so many of those listed, but for all anyone knows the green-tea bags (joking) are of the highest quality, respectively, even more so than the quality of the vanilla bean and leather tinctures (again, joking) used in Puredistance M or Roja Dove's Fetish pH.

Y'all kiddin' yourselves, but hey, just another opinion.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

Memior Man

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Creed - Jardin d'Amalfi
    This is a good one. I smell some similarity between this and Light Blue. But the difference is the Creed fragrance is always lovely, fresh, and soft. However Light Blue smells synthetic and harsh.

Without repeating all the above mentioned perfumes:

Tempest Kemi Blending and
    Elixir Kemi Blending Magic .

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Agreed. Nor do I believe many, if any, here are qualified to discern quality of materials used in any fragrance. You either like the smell or you don't. You either like the longevity/sillage performance or you don't. Who, here, knows for fact what materials are actually used within any of the stated fragrances and/or which materials or combos are actually responsible for the smell they like (let alone the fixative, diffusive or other qualities some perfuming materials are prized for)? I have no facts, but my pragmatic intuition tells me NOBODY. Hence, these discussions are once again all about opinions and perceptions revolving around the sensations that many of us would term rich, opulent, etc.

I'm currently wearing a green-tea scent (Bulgari - The Vert Extreme). It's light and fresh. I'm not surprised not to see it or any other light and fresh scents listed in this, or similar, thread(s) so far. It's not perceived as dense, opulent, or rich, like so many of those listed, but for all anyone knows the green-tea bags (joking) are of the highest quality, respectively, even more so than the quality of the vanilla bean and leather tinctures (again, joking) used in Puredistance M or Roja Dove's Fetish pH.

Y'all kiddin' yourselves, but hey, just another opinion.
    Are you saying you cannot tell the quality of green tea when you are drinking it? Why bother with different grades.
    Last edited by mixerscent; 30th August 2015 at 11:42 PM.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Are you saying you cannot tell the quality of green tea when you are drinking it? Why bother with different grades.
    Personally I think some can tell the quality of the ingredients due to extensive experience with raw materials or perfumes, but very often when people here talk about how good the quality is it's due to other factors. I wouldn't say I really know enough to judge, but sometimes there's some richness that gives me that impression.

I can judge the quality of Japanese green tea but am pretty clueless on Chinese green tea. Now say you were using green tea as one element in a recipe it becomes far harder to judge unless it is front and centre.

Um, not sure what my point is but I now have a powerful urge to eat some good quality matcha sweets.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Gucci Pour Homme II
    Creed Millesime Imperial

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin