Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Hendley Perfumes

My fiance has been wearing Amora lately and it smells divine on her. A lofty melon-esque fruit note and light incense smoke to her nose.

I'm wearing Mown today. Last time I didn't spray but did a quick swab. Mown sprayed on the skin really does have a hay/tobacco accord that is pronounced. I'm getting more champaca when I applied by spraying. Long lasting stuff. Pleasant. Not as demanding as some similar fragrances I've tried.

Is Mown similar to Slumberhouse Sova?
    Someone has marked similarity between them on Fragrantica.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Bumping this because I've been revisiting my Hendley samples (Amora, Jade, Mown, Rosenthal) and have samples of Fume, Blond, and Bourbon on the way. Fume was somewhat recently re-released because Hans tinctured his own lapsang souchong. Unavailability of this ingredient was why it (and Slumberhouse Jeke, another lamented disco) was disco'd. Blond is brand new and the notes sound potentially interesting (note list here) particularly orris, sandalwood, and osmanthus. Cantaloupe I can do without, I hope it's not too prominent.

My quick updated impressions on a few...although I think I only tried Rosenthal when I previously posted:

Mown - a sweet yet dry hay, orris, and dried fruit scent. Dried fruits are subtle and not syrupy or overly sweet, and they pair well with the low-key champaca note, creating an interesting accord. Strikes me as sharing some similarities to Imaginary Authors O'Unknown in the drydown (sweet orris and a dry hay note). I like this. I don't really get much in the way of tobacco, maybe just a whiff of a freshly opened pack of a Camel filters, which I think smell delicious...until they are lit. Definitely not that sweet tobacco from Pure Havane or B2B or anything, not lit tobacco either.

It feels like the most well-edited composition to me. Probably my second favorite next to Rosenthal. Seems pretty linear to me, which is fine. My sample dates to when it first came out and is a transparent greenish color. The juice Hendley currently has for sale is deep brown and nearly opaque. He does release things as "2017/2018/whatever year batch" so maybe the current batch has been tweaked and smells more like tobacco.

Amora - a sweet, fruity, red berry (strawberry, seems like) and floral (rose) scent. The rose is rather dominated by the syrupy fruits for me, and while it does create a jammy rose accord, I wish there was a little more balance...okay, I wish there was less fruit, less sweetness. I did wait 3 hours to see if it developed into something I liked but this not for me, and off it came. I can't really speak to whether its decent for the genre, because I strongly dislike wearing this style of fragrance in general- that said, I could probably think this might smell great (with a light application) on a woman. It's in the style of "happy teenager fruity floral" but with enough grown up elements (...intangibles I guess, since I can't put word to them) to make it not seem cheap and dumb.

This smelled much better on paper than it did on me.

Jade - a bracing, fresh, minty, carnation scent with a touch of a vegetal element. Aromatic spices in the drydown, I get an astringent, clovey star anise clear as day at some points. The opening is quite potent and a little jarring at first, not sharp but more angular, if that makes sense. While fresh and minty, I wouldn't call it clean. It's not dirty either, but it's definitely not clean. Later in the drydown, it kind of collapses in on itself and becomes one basic accord - although I do find it somewhat interesting. Kind of like a sea foam green (or the color of mint chocolate chip ice cream) colored balloon deflated into a pool of scent on my arm. Not a bad release and it grabbed my attention, but the opening is aces compared to the drydown.

Overall I enjoy sampling these, but don't see myself with bottles of any at this time. **October edit - within two months of this post, I bought Mown. Some of these really grew on me** Maybe one of the 9ml travel sprays, priced at $18 (for Amora), $28 (Mown, Rosenthal, Blonde, Fume, Jade) and $48 (Bourbon). My feelings about Amora is more a statement on my distaste for that style than on the skill of Hendley. Based on everything else of his I've tried, I think he's got solid skills perfumer with a mix of creative ideas but an appreciation for "simply smelling good".

What I like about Hendley as a house is that unlike some other indie perfumers, he doesn't seem like he's trying to win anyone over with weird loud esoteric crazy shit. He makes perfumes that seem like they are simply meant to be pleasurable to wear, but bring something new to the table. Don't get me wrong, I love trying weird crazy shit (key word "trying" - I rarely buy them). They seem focused and honed and just easygoing. Mown is really cozy, as it Rosenthal. The materials seem decent and the resulting perfumes (aside from Amora, but that's just me) are admirable. I'm guaranteed to sample any and all subsequent releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    Is Mown similar to Slumberhouse Sova?
    I don't think so at all, personally. They both smell like shades of brown to me, but really not much in the way of any similar notes or overall feel or anything. Mown is great but I much prefer Sova, it's probably my favorites of Josh's releases. Some think Fume is similar to Norne. I'll give my take on that once the samples make their way to me.
    Last edited by IsoESuperman; 1st November 2018 at 01:07 AM. Reason: October edit - typos and more
    Currently wearing: Vetiverissimo by Fzotic

Since May I've dug deeper into Hendley and come away the better for it. I've found another house I can really sink my teeth into that has almost exclusively enjoyable releases for me, to the point where I've ended up with a half dozen or so 9ml travels sprays - which BTW, I absolutely love when houses do 7.5 - 15ml sizes. His come in solid glass atomizers that work well and look nice. I still haven't found a house where I can say I genuinely like every single release, but Hendley comes as close as anyone else.

Hans has been added to the list of modern perfumers I hold in high regard and will sample any and all future releases that I can, he's an awfully nice guy too and goes to pretty serious lengths to provide awesome customer service while running his one-man-show. I'll expand more on some impressions when I get a chance, but as things stand now my favorites in a somewhat order of preference are:

Mown
    #FFCC33
    (aka Sunglow - which that is the hex code for)
    Fume
    Blond
    Rosenthal
    Bourbon
    Blue Woods
    Jade
    Amora

But really, I've enjoyed everything except Amora (see above post) so a list doesn't do justice to how I feel about them - for example, I think Bourbon and Rosenthal are both excellent and Blue Woods has some of the most incredible, sparkling coniferous/woody top notes I've ever encountered (unfortunately, they only last for a few minutes), something like a crystalline juniper Terre d'Hermes on steroids. Blond is one of the most engaging and realistic suede/car interior leather florals that I have tried...and so on.

I like the house very much and am glad he's on the scene and doing what he's doing.

Basenotes Plus

I purchased a full bottle of Rosenthal today. Just love it so much especially as the topnotes seem to linger into the complex middle and to me have a sour counterpoint that makes this a very interesting wear.

Just disovered this house thr last month. Love fume and bourbon. Have mown on the way

Basenotes Plus

Bloodline now for sale

Now it’s gone. I ordered a bottle.

Sold out?

Not sold out, it will be back soon.

For those interested, keep an eye on the American Perfumer online shop in the coming days. It's a limited edition made for them and will not be sold via the Hendley website or his FB page with his other stuff.

It is a 15 piece LE, so I assume will sell out more quickly than Colorado did or Desert Flower is (8 of the latter left).

Bloodline is cozy smoky/woody goodness. It is one of my favorite works of his to date, and he's made some good ones. Somewhat under-represented on BN, Hendley makes some really thoughtful, focused, and distinctive fragrances. Sort of in contrast to the playful and sometimes edgy style of Bruno Fazzolari or heavy, unusual stuff Slumberhouse releases, yet still in the same vein. Imagine Slumberhouse aesthetics done with quiet contemplation and one eye on the classics.

Totally has his own olfactive voice and viewpoint though, I hope Hans sticks around for a good long while.

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Bumping this because I've been revisiting my Hendley samples (Amora, Jade, Mown, Rosenthal) and have samples of Fume, Blond, and Bourbon on the way. Fume was somewhat recently re-released because Hans tinctured his own lapsang souchong. Unavailability of this ingredient was why it (and Slumberhouse Jeke, another lamented disco) was disco'd. Blond is brand new and the notes sound potentially interesting (note list here) particularly orris, sandalwood, and osmanthus. Cantaloupe I can do without, I hope it's not too prominent.

My quick updated impressions on a few...although I think I only tried Rosenthal when I previously posted:

Mown - a sweet yet dry hay, orris, and dried fruit scent. Dried fruits are subtle and not syrupy or overly sweet, and they pair well with the low-key champaca note, creating an interesting accord. Strikes me as sharing some similarities to Imaginary Authors O'Unknown in the drydown (sweet orris and a dry hay note). I like this. I don't really get much in the way of tobacco, maybe just a whiff of a freshly opened pack of a Camel filters, which I think smell delicious...until they are lit. Definitely not that sweet tobacco from Pure Havane or B2B or anything, not lit tobacco either.

It feels like the most well-edited composition to me. Probably my second favorite next to Rosenthal. Seems pretty linear to me, which is fine. My sample dates to when it first came out and is a transparent greenish color. The juice Hendley currently has for sale is deep brown and nearly opaque. He does release things as "2017/2018/whatever year batch" so maybe the current batch has been tweaked and smells more like tobacco.

Amora - a sweet, fruity, red berry (strawberry, seems like) and floral (rose) scent. The rose is rather dominated by the syrupy fruits for me, and while it does create a jammy rose accord, I wish there was a little more balance...okay, I wish there was less fruit, less sweetness. I did wait 3 hours to see if it developed into something I liked but this not for me, and off it came. I can't really speak to whether its decent for the genre, because I strongly dislike wearing this style of fragrance in general- that said, I could probably think this might smell great (with a light application) on a woman. It's in the style of "happy teenager fruity floral" but with enough grown up elements (...intangibles I guess, since I can't put word to them) to make it not seem cheap and dumb.

This smelled much better on paper than it did on me.

Jade - a bracing, fresh, minty, carnation scent with a touch of a vegetal element. Aromatic spices in the drydown, I get an astringent, clovey star anise clear as day at some points. The opening is quite potent and a little jarring at first, not sharp but more angular, if that makes sense. While fresh and minty, I wouldn't call it clean. It's not dirty either, but it's definitely not clean. Later in the drydown, it kind of collapses in on itself and becomes one basic accord - although I do find it somewhat interesting. Kind of like a sea foam green (or the color of mint chocolate chip ice cream) colored balloon deflated into a pool of scent on my arm. Not a bad release and it grabbed my attention, but the opening is aces compared to the drydown.

Overall I enjoy sampling these, but don't see myself with bottles of any at this time. **October edit - within two months of this post, I bought Mown. Some of these really grew on me** Maybe one of the 9ml travel sprays, priced at $18 (for Amora), $28 (Mown, Rosenthal, Blonde, Fume, Jade) and $48 (Bourbon). My feelings about Amora is more a statement on my distaste for that style than on the skill of Hendley. Based on everything else of his I've tried, I think he's got solid skills perfumer with a mix of creative ideas but an appreciation for "simply smelling good".

What I like about Hendley as a house is that unlike some other indie perfumers, he doesn't seem like he's trying to win anyone over with weird loud esoteric crazy shit. He makes perfumes that seem like they are simply meant to be pleasurable to wear, but bring something new to the table. Don't get me wrong, I love trying weird crazy shit (key word "trying" - I rarely buy them). They seem focused and honed and just easygoing. Mown is really cozy, as it Rosenthal. The materials seem decent and the resulting perfumes (aside from Amora, but that's just me) are admirable. I'm guaranteed to sample any and all subsequent releases.

I don't think so at all, personally. They both smell like shades of brown to me, but really not much in the way of any similar notes or overall feel or anything. Mown is great but I much prefer Sova, it's probably my favorites of Josh's releases. Some think Fume is similar to Norne. I'll give my take on that once the samples make their way to me.
    Honestly, Fume reminds me more of Jeke than it does of Norne because of the lapsang souchong note which is prominent in both Jeke and Fume. Fume is much more transparent than the thick syrupy Norne or Jeke, but it still smells more of Jeke to me than Norne.
    Currently wearing: Good Fir 11 by Krigler

Bloodline is going crazy fast. As of 11:17 (17 minutes after release) there are two left.

I was very eager and refreshing constantly starting at 10:55 lol. Made me feel like I was getting concert tickets.
    Really happy to have nabbed a bottle of Bloodline—I tested my sample again this morning and it was even more beautiful than I remembered. Rich dark cedar, almost incense-y. What I love most about it (and also with Fume) is that it's not just heavy, the sense of space and light is really palpable in them. Not exactly a summer 'fume but I'm sure it won't mind waiting until cooler weather to be worn.
    Currently wearing: Timbre by Chris Rusak

Basenotes Plus

All of Hans works to me have a lot of space and air in them. They are very open and transparent.

I would say this is something that, for instance, is true of L’Air Du Desert Marocain by Tauer, and some other Tauer’s. Hans Hendley’s are even more open this way, as opposed to dense. That doesn’t mean they are not good in longevity or sillage...it’s not that. It’s like walking into a big high ceilinged room with many beautiful objects. You can move about the room and you see beauty everywhere, but the room is large and roomy.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmorel View Post
    I was very eager and refreshing constantly starting at 10:55 lol. Made me feel like I was getting concert tickets.
    Really happy to have nabbed a bottle of Bloodline—I tested my sample again this morning and it was even more beautiful than I remembered. Rich dark cedar, almost incense-y. What I love most about it (and also with Fume) is that it's not just heavy, the sense of space and light is really palpable in them. Not exactly a summer 'fume but I'm sure it won't mind waiting until cooler weather to be worn.
    Couldn't agree more, it's a beautiful smoky cedar done with plenty of air underneath what could easily be a stifling smoky accord, much like Fume. He really hit it out of the park, it's been a lot of fun to watch his skills evolve and style come into its own.

Certainly not a summer type scent, but I've been so taken with it I've worn a least one spray from the sample daily since it came over the weekend.

I'm very excited for my bottle. I really admire every single fragrance in the Hendley lineup.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.
    Currently wearing: Grev by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Member junior_surgeon's Avatar

Shoot I missed Bloodline! I checked this morning and it wasn't up yet, then on my lunch break it was already here and sold out. ��
    Last edited by junior_surgeon; 5th June 2019 at 08:03 PM.

DANGIT i completely forgot...

how much were the bottles going for?

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    DANGIT i completely forgot...

how much were the bottles going for?
    $125 for 30ml
    Currently wearing: Timbre by Chris Rusak

if anyone is willing to sell me a 5 ml decant, that would be great

I second the motion for a decant! I shot Hans an email at least, and he said that due to the success of the launch American Perfumer would likely commission another batch.

Basenotes Plus

Bloodline is THAT GOOD.

It is airy, as his style is, and very sweetish and complex. A little tiny bit of the sweet melancholy of Turkish Leather but without the dried fruit. Kind of like Burvulu from January Scent (John Biebel) but more sweet and well rounded (and I love Burvuvu).

Thrilled that I got some. Hendley is low key but he is GOOD.

Bloodline Notes: Pinyon needles, pine fatwood tincture, eastern red cedar oil, oakwood, vanilla bean tincture, tobacco, oakmoss absolute, labdanum, dark patchouli.

I'm wearing Bloodline again today and I have to say it really is exceptional. The composition is constructed in such a way that the smoke does not veer into BBQ territory or become overbearing at any point. The woody trio of Pine, Cedar, and Oakwood are really vibrant throughout the duration (which is long) and highlight some unique facets that aren't normally detectable in a standard woody fragrance. There are these wafts of woody sweetness akin to freshly cut wood, yet at the same time there is a parallel vein of spiciness. Overall, like most of the Hendley Perfumes line, I find Bloodlines to be unique and masterfully constructed without having sacrificed on sillage and longevity.

Basenotes Plus

Yes I agree with you on Bloodline.

It is moving up to Burvuvu (which it is similar to) as being a huge favorite of mine, and my favorite Hendley so far. I don't know how he does it. but this one (Bloodline) has space in it somehow. It is airy in some way that is very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Yes I agree with you on Bloodline.

It is moving up to Burvuvu (which it is similar to) as being a huge favorite of mine, and my favorite Hendley so far. I don't know how he does it. but this one (Bloodline) has space in it somehow. It is airy in some way that is very enjoyable.
    I feel comfortable saying that Hendley Perfumes is the East Coast Slumberhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Vagrant View Post
    I already loved Hendley, but after trying Bloodline and Blue Woods I especially agree. More consistent in terms of stock too.

I'm disappointed to have missed out on Felt though, and if anyone feels like swapping a sample I'd be down!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Vagrant View Post
    Ooh.

That's quite a comparison. The only thing that's keeping me from expressing agreement is the "Strangeness Factor" (TM TM TM).

Hendley's compositions, while broadly well-blended and engaging, are very low-key and -- some might say -- "easy to wear" (granted, the scope of such a phrase's definition differs drastically between people).

Meanwhile, you're never quite sure if you're going to immediately swoon over a Slumber, "learn to love it," or mostly distance yourself from it.

Slumberhouse creates unexpected, strange things. I'm not saying that Hendley isn't original, but his line is simply easier to me for most fragrance fans to get on board with.

I think January Scent Project is the Slumberhouse of the East Coast. John Biebel's creations are similarly artisan-level, but I find them much stranger. There's often an astringency in them I find comparable to Slumber compositions, too.
    "Creating perfume is the closest one can get to practicing alchemy"