Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: The Quest For THE Vetiver Cologne

Tom Ford Splits:Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute, Tobacco Vanille ONE LEFT: Italian Cypress, Patchouli Absolu, Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Looking forward to your impressions. Vetiver is probably my favorite note also - interestingly, only one on your list (Vetiver Extraordinaire) is even in my top 10 vetivers. I guess that just shows how broad of a spectrum vetiver is in.
    Also same here with FM VE as "the favorite" vetiver out there, 2nd may be TF GV and close 3rd may be BelAmi Vetiver.

Interesting exercise and I am waiting for your impressions/thoughts on each.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Day #1: Fragrance - Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP.
    My Ratings: Scent - 7/10. Overall - 5/10.

I have to be very clear here. I wanted to love this fragrance. I still think the scent is good. The problem on my skin is this fragrance is a skin scent basically throughout the entire dry down.
    I've have the same experience, doesn't matter how many sprays. It think it smells good but pointless if you can't smell it. It does last a very long time, probably over 12 hours, but have to put my nose to my skin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    I've have the same experience, doesn't matter how many sprays. It think it smells good but pointless if you can't smell it. It does last a very long time, probably over 12 hours, but have to put my nose to my skin.
    Well I guess I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one who experienced this. It's funny because even today while I was out I went to a totally different store and sprayed it on my hand a 3rd time just to see if it really was bad juice from Sephoria. Exact same result. It was actually so light that my wife smelled it and didn't realize it's the scent from yesterday or very similar to Grey Vetiver EDT I was wearing today and had sprayed on just a few hours earlier! She said, "It smells familiar." But could not place it.

I will be writing the review for the EDT version in a couple hours. Gonna give it another wearing this evening and then write it up.

Blog Entries

Day #2: Fragrance - Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDT.
    My Ratings: Scent - 8/10. Overall - 6/10.

On my skin the EDT version had a slightly better scent and performance. I actually noticed a little projection with it to the point that I sprayed it on before going out with my wife and she commented in the vehicle that I smelled good. So I did get a completely unsolicited compliment with this fragrance right after putting it on. I also let a couple of my wife's friends smell it and overall response was positive.

On me the performance was only slightly better than the EDP. Within a matter of 15-30 minutes it becomes a skin scent. I tried spraying it on my pulse points, in my hair, on my clothes and nothing I tried really helped extend the projection. I'm not putting on lotion because I won't be for any of the vetivers and I do not have dry skin that should even need to use it.

The scent is good, a kind of in-between from the freshness of something like Original Vetiver and earthiness of other Vetivers. I think for someone who wants a nice Vetiver for themselves to smell and enjoy without having to worry about bothering other people this is a good option. I can't see anyone who might catch a whiff of it having any negative reactions. I also don't think it will be any kind of compliment getter either unfortunately because of how fast it loses its projection. My wife complimented it but that was literally less than 5 minutes after putting it on. Later in the evening she said she could not smell it on me without putting her nose nearly on my skin.

Overall a good fragrance that for me just doesn't do what I want in a Vetiver. I'd be really interested in seeing this again if there is a change to the formula that strengthens it. Until then it sadly falls into the nice but lacking department.

My Wife's Rating: Scent - 8/10.

She had overall very positive things to say about the scent. She said she could still detect a slight bug spray type note, just like she did in the EDP, if she got really close right after spraying it on but just smelling it in the air she really liked it. This isn't uncommon for her because she thinks multiple colognes before they dry down have a not great scent if you smell too close to them. This includes Encre Noire which she loves in the air and as it dries down but hates right after initial spray if smelling against the skin. Her biggest complaint was exactly what mine was. She just feels the cologne disappears too fast so she can't smell the scent enough. Maybe this is the epitome of "leave them wanting more". While she made it clear she preferred the scent of OV and EN she still really did like this one so people on the fence should definitely sample and hope for better performance.

Next Review - Hermes Vetiver Tonka. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow, if all goes well I'll review it this weekend.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 12th September 2015 at 03:08 AM.

Awesome idea for a thread It reminds me of a similar one from badger & blade that a guy did on all the bay rum aftershaves.. I smelled grey vetiver on a test strip a month or two ago and it smelled really nice but your comments on the projection has definitely made me think twice. I am looking forward to seeing your thoughts on others.

Blog Entries

Alright everyone, I'm happy to report my order from Decantshop has officially shipped. I even got an email from Emrah who works there and not only did he apologize again for getting slammed by orders and taking longer than expected to ship it out but he noticed I ordered nearly every Vetiver they have listed so he threw in one that wasn't on the site yet for me to test out too: Armani Prive Vetyver Babylone. He also threw in Dunhill Icon which he said he has really been enjoying too. So while it did take longer than I would have liked, I do totally understand why it took longer and they even went above and beyond in their service by keeping me updated and throwing in a couple other samples. Hopefully by early/mid next week all the samples will be in and I can really get this going.

In other great news - My sample of Hermes Vetiver Tonka did come in today so I will be wearing it all day tomorrow and reviewing it in the evening. As much as I really want to crack it open right now and start smelling it, I'm holding back.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 12th September 2015 at 08:28 PM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Alright everyone, I'm happy to report my order from Decantshop has officially shipped. I even got an email from Emrah who works there and not only did he apologize again for getting slammed by orders and taking longer than expected to ship it out but he noticed I ordered nearly every Vetiver they have listed so he threw in one that wasn't on the site yet for me to test out too: Armani Prive Vetyver Babylone. He also threw in Dunhill Icon which he said he has really been enjoying too. So while it did take longer than I would have liked, I do totally understand why it took longer and they even went above and beyond in their service by keeping me updated and throwing in a couple other samples. Hopefully by early/mid next week all the samples will be in and I can really get this going.
    That was very nice of him to add those extras. Enjoy them when they arrive.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

In other great news - My sample of Hermes Vetiver Tonka did come in today so I will be wearing it all day tomorrow and reviewing it in the evening. As much as I really want to crack it open right now and start smelling it, I'm holding back.
    Looking forward to hearing yours, and your wifes view on this

Blog Entries

@hednic it was very nice indeed.

@La Flâneuse I know a lot of people think it might be a contender for the best so im excited to try it. I do have some concerns because Tonka can sometimes turn feminine on me but I'm hoping that pop of Vetiver keeps it very masculine. We'll see tomorrow.

My brother likes Vetiver colognes but his wife doesn't so I didn't even think to ask him if he had any for me to try in this game, but when I talked to him today he mentioned he had 2 more not on my list. So I'll be getting another couple of samples to add. Le Labo Vetyver 46 and also Dolce & Gabana Velvet Vetiver.

This list just keeps on growing.

Blog Entries

Day #3: Fragrance - Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    My Ratings: Scent - 9/10. Overall 8/10.

I was worried about this fragrance because of the Tonka note in it. I thought maybe it might make the scent turn a bit too feminine on my skin. I'm happy to report that isn't the case at all. This fragrance really grew on me as the day went on. When I first put it on I was concerned I was about to have more performance issues like Grey Vetiver. And just to be clear, this is not a projection beast. 6-12 inches was about the most it would come off my skin. However, this scent just lingers in the air around me and I constantly caught whiffs of it throughout the day. I've had it on about 7-8hrs now and it's still there. Movement and air do this fragrance good.

The smell is earthy Vetiver but there's something in it that softens it and I do get some green notes. Along with that you definitely can pick up hazelnut in the initial spray as well as some slight floral notes. There's also a creamy and overal natural feel to it. Nothing in this smells synthetic and nothing in it is offensive. As it dries down I lose the hazelnut scent but the overall composition feels very linear as it develops on my skin and I don't notice a huge change. This is not a bad thing as the scent starts off great and stays that way throughout its life. I feel like this scent never strays feminine but it could be worn by a woman easily since there's nothing harsh or bitter in it. I would love it on my wife. It feels perfectly unisex.

Overall I think this fragrance has really helped me hone in on what I like about Vetiver fragrances. While I think the scent is great and I would totally understand someone seeing this as a masterpiece, I did have to lower the overall rating slightly because I think I prefer my vetivers slightly harsh and with some synthetic notes in it. I also think I like my scents with better projection because I do want others to smell it without being pressed against me. Someone who wants a Vetiver that is creamy, natural, non offensive, and that lays closer to your skin but lasts will love this one. I think Hermes had an idea and perfectly executed their idea. Does it line up exactly with what I want? Not completely but when this contest is over I will be testing this one more to see if my taste change. This is the first one that made me start questioning exactly why I like Vetiver. Great, Great, Great.

My Wife's Rating: Scent - 8/10.

She was not feeling well today and I think it influenced her rating some. When she first smelled it she thought it smelled good/ok but then she said, "Wait, let me smell it again. Actually it smells really good." She had trouble picking out notes and picking how much she liked this one compared to others because of how she feels. The one comment she did make that I think will keep her from rating it a perfect score is she wants a cologne that projects better. She said she wants to catch whiffs of it just being near me without me having to ask her to lean in and smell it. So while she thinks the scent is really good/great it didn't catch her attention and make her "notice" it just being in the same room.

Next Fragrance: Cartier - Vetiver Bleu.

Blog Entries

Alright. Today I got Cartier - Vetiver Bleu in, so tomorrow I will give it a full wear and review. It also appears my big order of samples should be in tomorrow so I will be able to really start knocking out reviews then.

Thanks for all the support so far guys and keep those suggestions coming.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your extremely knowledgeable, tasteful, balanced and diverse vetiver experimentations during a wildly interesting quest for scents with this so complex and resourceful notes. And since the suggestion list is still open to further additions and a particular designer fragrance was not mentioned, taking the liberty to add an underrated, inexpensive option: Lanvin Vetyver.

A modest. yet solid addition to the previous löst of nearly countless vetiver superlatives.

This is a great thread, as I also love vetiver fragrances. I find myself waiting for the next installment each day with anticipation. I love that you are testing these with your wife, gives an additional fresh perspective. I have bottles of Grey Vetiver EDP, Original Vetiver, Guerlain Vetiver vintage, Encre Noir, (waiting for delivery of Encre Noir Sport, can't wait), and of course there's vetiver in the background of many others. I must admit I was surprised that Grey Vetiver EDP didn't fare better. For me it lasts all day, of course more of a skin scent by the end of the day. It's probably already been suggested, but GV must have been reformulated, perhaps just in the past year, probably when the EDT was released. Keep up the good work, and please thank your wife for us.
    Last edited by RichMan'sOldSpice; 15th September 2015 at 01:43 AM.

I too am a sucker for vetiver, and I am following with very great interest.
    Others have mentioned how Grey Vetiver performance seems to have suffered as of late. I have had no problems myself, but my bottle is a Swiss version, if that matters.
    Looking forward to the next episode.

Blog Entries

@Ken_Russell thank you for the very kind words. The support has been overwhelmingly positive for this and it really helps me. I have looked for samples of Lanvin Vetyver and I have been able to find it, however by the time you include shipping a 1-2ml sample costs almost 1/3 of the price of a 100ml bottle. Since that seems like an extreme waste to me, the only way I'd sample it is if I buy the entire bottle. If more people vote to include it, I might do so but I was trying to hold off on any full bottle purchases until I finish. I'll wait and see on this one for now. Thank you for the suggestion though.

@RichMan'sOldSpice thank you for supporting the thread and participating. I shared your comments with my wife and it made her happy. She came into this thinking, "You already have some that smell really good, what's the point?" So any encouragement she gets makes it easier when I hold my hand out to her and say "Smell this and tell me what you think".

In regards to Grey Vetiver, I remembered when talking to my brother that he owns a bottle he bought some years back so I asked him what his performance was like with it. Without hesitation he said "All day, no issues, projects well". The only thing I can think is there must have been a reformulation. When I got to his house I am going to test his bottle of Grey Vetiver to see what's really going on.

@dealt7faux thanks for the comments. I'm glad to know people are reading along daily as I post them. I can't wait until my big sample order gets here so I can wear a new one every day and review it. Hopefully starting tomorrow we should have a new one every day afterwards.

Blog Entries

The topic of blind testing vs testing knowing brand/price/other reviews was raised in another thread here. I think it is an absolutely great topic and everyone should check it out. My contest was mentioned in it and how my knowledge of the fragrances might influence my ratings. This is a perfectly legitimate comment and the poster was absolutely right to wonder how this contest would be different if I was doing it 100% blind. I took it as an opportunity to explain in more detail the contest and the extent of my knowledge on the fragrances. I decided it would be good to copy the post here so anyone who sees this thread will know exactly how much I might be influenced.

"I've actually thought very hard about how to not allow myself to be influenced by all those other factors not directly related to scent and performance. The simple truth is, since I placed the order there is no way I could be 100% blind for the test. I have at least some outside knowledge about the cost of fragrances due to their sample costing more.

Instead what I've tried to do is be as "dumb" as possible about each fragrance. I'm not looking up reviews for any of them, I'm not reading any notes lists before testing, I'm not looking up full bottle prices, I'm trying to not have any idea at all what the fragrance will smell like before putting it on. The most I know for nearly all of the fragrances is only that some people consider it "good/great". A large number (probably half) I have honestly never heard of before ordering the sample and nearly all of them I have no idea the notes, if it will be fresh or smokey, or anything. There are a couple (I think 3) that I have heard of and looked into previously so I have an idea of what notes are in it or what they might smell like, but that's it. I have also tried to be very clear when those instances of me knowing something does occur so the reader can make his own mind up about how much I'm influenced by said knowledge.

What I've tried to do since I have some vague knowledge that might influence me on some level (even though I'm trying very hard for it not to) is offer my wife's opinion about each fragrance. She IS doing the contest completely blind. I don't tell her a single thing about any of them before she smells it and gives her opinion.

I hope doing all this allows for as close to a genuinely non bias contest as possible since I think the OP is completely right in Brand/Perception/Price having an impact."

Day #3: Fragrance - Hermes Vetiver Tonka
    My Ratings: Scent - 9/10. Overall 8/10.

The smell is earthy Vetiver but there's something in it that softens it and I do get some green notes. Along with that you definitely can pick up hazelnut in the initial spray as well as some slight floral notes. There's also a creamy and overal natural feel to it. Nothing in this smells synthetic and nothing in it is offensive. As it dries down I lose the hazelnut scent but the overall composition feels very linear as it develops on my skin and I don't notice a huge change. This is not a bad thing as the scent starts off great and stays that way throughout its life. I feel like this scent never strays feminine but it could be worn by a woman easily since there's nothing harsh or bitter in it. I would love it on my wife. It feels perfectly unisex.

Overall I think this fragrance has really helped me hone in on what I like about Vetiver fragrances. While I think the scent is great and I would totally understand someone seeing this as a masterpiece, I did have to lower the overall rating slightly because I think I prefer my vetivers slightly harsh and with some synthetic notes in it.

Next Fragrance: Cartier - Vetiver Bleu.
    Nice description. VT definitely is one of the smoothest, creamier vetivers I've encountered. And I think it's interesting that you prefer some level of synthetic-ness to your fragrances--I've come to that conclusion over time as well.

Really interested in hearing your take on Cartier's Bleu. I know nothing about it. I'm curious to see it reviewed by someone who's in the midst of sampling other well-known and respected vetivers, to sort of see how it compares.

Great thread!
    Last edited by Buysblind; 15th September 2015 at 05:00 PM.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Blog Entries

Thanks Buysblind. Vetiver Tonka was actually great for me to try at the beginning because it's such a good scent I had to ask myself, "Why ISN'T this the one for me?" and I had to really think about it. It helped teach me a lot about my Vetiver preference and what I look for.

I actually wore it more yesterday since I didn't have any new ones in yet and I feel even stronger that my review was spot on for me. My wife also was able to smell it more and just kept saying, "This one smells really good." At the end, as I suspected she acknowledged that she found it slightly lacking because it doesn't reach out and grab you and force you to notice it enough for her. It's almost so well blended that nothing stands out and says, "Look here."

Cartier - Vetiver Bleu is going to be an interesting review. I've been wearing it all day and have a good idea what I'm going to say, but I still have to let my wife smell the dry down on it and give her opinion.

In other great news, I finally got my BIG order in so for at least the next 3 weeks I should have a new review nearly every day.

Look forward to the next installment.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Blog Entries

Day #4: Fragrance - Cartier Vetiver Bleu
    My Ratings: Scent - 5/10. Overall - 2/10.

This was a crazy fragrance to review. I put it on in the morning after getting ready and my first reaction was it reminded me of mouthwash or toothpaste. Also after wearing it for a bit where I sprayed it and especially the top of my hand started to tingle and cool. After about 30 minutes I had the involuntary reaction of trying to wipe it off of the back of hand. It actually startled me so much that I had to read a description of this fragrance to figure out what was going on. When I read the description I realized what was going on. Apparently there is a strong mint note in it. This accounts for the mouthwash/toothpaste scent and the tingling/cooling I felt on my skin.

To be clear I don't actually hate the scent as much as my score might lead some to believe. Eventually the mint note does die down some and you do get a kinda green and powdery Vetiver. The problem is the Vetiver doesn't really stand out in any way to me. The entire fragrance really is like that to me. Projection, scent, sillage everything came off to me as average. Not necessarily bad, just average.

However, because of my experience with the mint freaking me out I had to give it a pretty low overall rating. While I don't think the scent is bad, and I did wear it for the entire day - even reapplying in the evening, I honestly cannot think of a time I will ever reach for the fragrance again - ever. If someone wants a minty fresh, clean smelling, slightly powdery fragrance, that might have just a hint of Vetiver in it then give this a try. As I said it is not a "bad" fragrance. It's just a bad fragrance for me. Unfortunately, I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was "taking one for the team" by wearing this one all day. This might be a case where having no idea what the fragrance is going to smell like actually did it a disservice because I just wasn't prepared to be hit with a mint blast on my skin.

Am I saying completely avoid it? Not necessarily. Just know what you are getting into.

My Wife's Rating: Scent - 5/10.

This was one that she felt was completely middle of the road. Not bad, not good. She felt it was ok. Like the others so far she felt this one didn't come off the skin enough to get her attention and her exact words when she smelt it were, "Yeah. I mean, I guess when you smell it, it smells. . .good." This just didn't excite her at all.

Next Fragrance Review: Geurlain - Vetiver Extreme.

I enjoyed reading yours and your wifes thoughts on Vetiver Tonka, it does sound rather nice with the Tonka rounding off some of the more 'difficult' aspects of the Vetiver. I'm hoping that I may be able to try it the next time I pass through the duty free section at Heathrow, it's either that or ebay.

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!

ps Have you thought of trying SL Vetiver Oriental? It's the one I'm considering buying, the Vetiver is on the cusp of being difficult, but is just held back by the other notes it's blended with

Vetiver qua vetiver, Sycomore is my pick these days. That said, I recently got and love Prada's lively vetiver. But it is a bit too feminine and needs just a bit more vetiver oomph. Hence, I created a decant with apx 2% Encre Noir, 4% Sycomore, and 94% Prada. An interesting experiment. In particular, even the tiniest bit of Sycomore premixed with the Prada produces a marked change.

Blog Entries

@La Flâneuse Vetiver Tonka is really nice. I could not see anyone outright hating the fragrance. I don't know about the UK but US eBay has people selling official 4ml samples of it for a pretty good price compared to even full bottles so that could definitely be an option for you. I looked into SL Vetiver Oriental but it seems that there just aren't any reasonable options out there to get a sample of it.

@Schnozz I've heard a lot about Sycomore. Out of all the fragrances in this game, it might be the one I know the most about because so many people have talked about it and it's apparent similarity to Encre Noire. It will be definitely interesting to try when I pull it out of the bag.

@Schnozz I've heard a lot about Sycomore. Out of all the fragrances in this game, it might be the one I know the most about because so many people have talked about it and it's apparent similarity to Encre Noire. It will be definitely interesting to try when I pull it out of the bag.[/QUOTE]

I play with these two as well. EC can be just a touch rough around the edges and layering it with a little Sycomore rounds out it out a bit. Perhaps the point here is that, if you can't find THE vetiver, they tend layer well and hence can be pushed slightly in one direction or another.

Blog Entries

Day #5: Fragrance - Geurlain Vetiver Extreme
    My Ratings: Scent - 6/10. Overall 6/10.

I have no idea why this is called Vetiver Extreme. To my nose there is nothing extreme about it. When you first spray it you get a blast of alcohol smell for the first 30 seconds or so. While I'm not a big fan of that, I know as alcohol evaporates it helps lift the scent off the skin and I did find this was one of the better performing scents as far as projection I've tested so far (it is by no means a projection beast though). I found during the initial phase - the first hour to two it was about 12 inches off the skin and then slowly went down from there. After the alcohol evaporates some you are left with a green leaf Vetiver scent. In some ways it reminded me of Original Vetiver. The scent came off fresh, a little clean, but also powdery. There was nothing extreme here. It was just a green scent.

Overall, my takeaway from this fragrance is it is a slightly above average fragrance in performance and scent. Was it stellar and took my breath away? No. But, If I had not smelled any other vetivers I could see it as an alright choice. I see this Vetiver as good for someone who likes Original Vetiver but wants something a bit more powdery. Unfortunately I cannot pull off powdery. It was pleasant and I could see myself reaching for it every once in awhile. . .BUT. . .

My Wife's Rating: Scent - 2/10.
    My wife hated this scent. She thought it smelled feminine and too powdery. She kept trying to smell it but everytime was just, "Ew, no." Etc. For a Vetiver scent she didn't find it manly at all and struggled to even rate it. She was completely against it on me, and sadly this is why I will probably never reach for it to wear it, even though I think it's alright.

Next Fragrance Review: Diptyque Vetyverio

Day #5: Fragrance - Geurlain Vetiver Extreme
    My Ratings: Scent - 6/10. Overall 6/10.

I have no idea why this is called Vetiver Extreme. To my nose there is nothing extreme about it. When you first spray it you get a blast of alcohol smell for the first 30 seconds or so. While I'm not a big fan of that, I know as alcohol evaporates it helps lift the scent off the skin and I did find this was one of the better performing scents as far as projection I've tested so far (it is by no means a projection beast though). I found during the initial phase - the first hour to two it was about 12 inches off the skin and then slowly went down from there. After the alcohol evaporates some you are left with a green leaf Vetiver scent. In some ways it reminded me of Original Vetiver. The scent came off fresh, a little clean, but also powdery. There was nothing extreme here. It was just a green scent.

Overall, my takeaway from this fragrance is it is a slightly above average fragrance in performance and scent. Was it stellar and took my breath away? No. But, If I had not smelled any other vetivers I could see it as an alright choice. I see this Vetiver as good for someone who likes Original Vetiver but wants something a bit more powdery. Unfortunately I cannot pull off powdery. It was pleasant and I could see myself reaching for it every once in awhile. . .BUT. . .

My Wife's Rating: Scent - 2/10.
    My wife hated this scent. She thought it smelled feminine and too powdery. She kept trying to smell it but everytime was just, "Ew, no." Etc. For a Vetiver scent she didn't find it manly at all and struggled to even rate it. She was completely against it on me, and sadly this is why I will probably never reach for it to wear it, even though I think it's alright.

Next Fragrance Review: Diptyque Vetyverio
    Interesting review! I'm also not a fan of that one but I know it has a cult following. Your wife's take was funny :P.

Blog Entries

Day #6: Fragrance - Diptyque Vetyverio.
    My Ratings: Scent - Good. Overall - Good.

This is a good fragrance, however to my nose it is not a Vetiver Fragrance. I get floral notes, oriental notes, and maybe something slightly green. I can't smell anything Vetiver in it. Does that mean it's bad? No. I find the fragrance good but it does tend to skewer unisex and maybe slightly feminine.

Since I simply don't see this as being a Vetiver cologne I didn't rate it a number and instead just marked it as good. The performance was fine too if not spectacular. I find this cologne would be for someone who definitely wants something unisex and that wants a floral note. I would love it on my wife. It is a very natural smell and I don't get anything synthetic at all. It feels like it was blended very well and the end product was what the designer wanted. I just don't smell Vetiver.

My Wife's Rating: Scent - Good.

When she first smelled it she actually asked me if it was a woman's perfume. She agreed it had a floral note and also something powdery about it. She liked the smell, but, she said she could not see me wearing it. The more she smelled it the more on the fence she was about it. She had trouble placing whether it was manly or feminine and in the end just said she didn't know.

Next Fragrance Review: Frédéric Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Next Fragrance Review: Frédéric Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Looking forward to this one!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Ooooh, can't wait to read what you think about Vetiver Extraordinaire. It at least doesn't suffer from lack of vetiver.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast