Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Do you think the Deodorant Sprays are a bit or vastly different from EDTs or EDPs?

The one fragrance deodorant spray I have is Everlast's 1910 Original. I'm so happy with it that I'm afraid to purchase the EDT thinking it might be a letdown. Are deodorants an inexpensive alternative in the fragrance collection hobby?

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Default Re: Do you think the Deodorant Sprays are a bit or vastly different from EDTs or EDPs?

For me, they are quite different.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Sultan Of Swing

Default Re: Do you think the Deodorant Sprays are a bit or vastly different from EDTs or EDPs?

It varies greatly, in my experience. Some deodorants are very close to the EdT/EdP, while others are are like a blurry photo, where you recognise some of the shapes, but no details are visible.
    Down The Telegraph Road...
    Currently wearing: Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me, they are quite different.
    Same for me.

I have Dior Homme deodorant and while it's nice enough it's very different from the edt. Same for most I have tried.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Assuming that there is no universal rule and that all might differ between the various deos, EDT and EDP currently available on the market. So far, was confronted with a wide spectrum as to how matched deodorants smelled in comparison to their initial fragrances from the same line/manufacturer/house: from a cheap, watered-down near-knockoff in comparison to the regular fragrance version to a fresher, more energetic and invigorating vision of the same fragrance, highlighting several notes and facets not that obvious in their respective EDT/EDP version.

I haven't really smelled many perfumes and their counterpart deodorant. Mostly because the relationship doesn't exist outside super commercial (aka designer) perfumes. But Bayolea smells like a very basic version of its perfume counterpart.
    for swap/sale:

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I've never understood why anyone who wears a fragrance would also wear a scented deodorant. That's like going to an expensive restaurant for a $75 steak and bringing along your leftovers from McDonalds so you can dump a leftover hamburger patty on top of it.

I think a lot of people must not understand how deodorant works. It's not supposed to cover up the smell of B.O. It's supposed to prevent the smell from happening in the first place.
    Sent from my brain using mental telepathy, except for the parts where my fingers typed on keys.

Pretty different IMO.
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I've never understood why anyone who wears a fragrance would also wear a scented deodorant. That's like going to an expensive restaurant for a $75 steak and bringing along your leftovers from McDonalds so you can dump a leftover hamburger patty on top of it.

I think a lot of people must not understand how deodorant works. It's not supposed to cover up the smell of B.O. It's supposed to prevent the smell from happening in the first place.
    I actually don't like the bayolea perfume much (too much lemongrass) but the deodorant is all about the galbanum and other accords.
    I'm from the school of thought where I don't seek medical advice from my butcher and I don't ask my doctor about which stocks to invest in.
    But stupid l'occitane had just discontinued my favorite deodorant and I happened to be right next door to Penhaligon's at the moment and the SA, who turns out to be had just came back from a thorough training session on the Bayolea line. She mentioned that the the deoderant wasn;t some generic formula to complete the "Bayolea" line. For $20 (compared to $30 for the l'occitane), I didn't have much to loose.

Turns out shes right. Its excellent.

I love Sartorial but I'd never buy the deoderant because every time I used it with a perfume that wasn't Sartorial, it'd be like I sprayed on sartorial and my sotd.

So Bayolea as a deoderanr works well, I idetnity it as a de
    for swap/sale:

Not a bit....Deodorant are more than "a bit" different from EDTs/EDPs IMO

Máscara Almizclado

Deodorant spray tends to last 2 to 3 hours and include 3% or less perfume oil.

I always thought a deodorant spray is to cover it up in a way and a anti-perspirant spray (two different kinds) is to prevent the smell from happening in the first place.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise/Sand Aoud
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Acqua di Parma: Colonia Leather/Oud
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (Aqua)
    - Dior: Eau Noire
    - Knize Ten

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I always thought a deodorant spray is to cover it up in a way and a anti-perspirant spray (two different kinds) is to prevent the smell from happening in the first place.
    Anti-persperant is supposed to help prevent you from perspiring, though that's not exactly healthy since sweat serves a purpose. Anti-ersperant = Anti-Perspiration.

Deodorant is supposed to neutralize bacteria so it can't decay and become the odor that causes armpits to stink. Deodorant is a misleading term. Anti-odorant would be a better term for it.

Generally speaking, a lot of the cheap deodorants use scent to make up for the fact that they don't do their job well. And since consumers have come to believe deodorant is supposed to cover up smell instead of prevent it, even deodorants that work well tend to offer scented versions because that's what most people buy. Until I understood what deodorant is supposed to do, I used to buy the cheap scented stuff.

Keep in mind that sweat isn't stinky. The awful smell is actually bacteria decaying. Ampits become stinky because armpits are closed when your arms aren't raised, and that makes anything there become trapped. Add moisture from sweat and any bacteria there will decay - and decay smells awful. If you walked around with your arms raised over your head all day, your pits wouldn't get stinky. That's the reason you don't have to use deodorant on your chest and back. Sweat there doesn't get trapped.
    Sent from my brain using mental telepathy, except for the parts where my fingers typed on keys.

Keep in mind that sweat isn't stinky. The awful smell is actually bacteria decaying. Ampits become stinky because armpits are closed when your arms aren't raised, and that makes anything there become trapped. Add moisture from sweat and any bacteria there will decay - and decay smells awful. If you walked around with your arms raised over your head all day, your pits wouldn't get stinky. That's the reason you don't have to use deodorant on your chest and back. Sweat there doesn't get trapped.
    Little off topic but what you say is incorrect imo:
    I know sweat doesn't smell but to my knowledge the smell is not bacteria decaying but bacteria transforming the wet part of the sweat into waste materials and what you actually smell are the excrements of the bacteria; the bacteria are still alive and not decaying by any means! They are indeed mainly in the closed/trapped, warmer and hairy parts of your body like armpits.
    Last edited by Slayerized; 14th September 2015 at 11:15 PM.

- Knize Ten

Blog Entries

Little off topic but what you say is incorrect imo:
    I know sweat doesn't smell but to my knowledge the smell is not bacteria decaying but bacteria transforming the wet part of the sweat into waste materials and what you actually smell are the excrements of the bacteria; the bacteria are still alive and not decaying by any means! They are indeed mainly in the closed/trapped, warmer and hairy parts of your body like armpits.
    Body odor (or B.O., bromhidrosis, osmidrosis or ozochrotia) is a perceived unpleasant smell our bodies can give off when bacteria that live on the skin break down sweat into acids - some say it is the smell of bacteria growing on the body, but it really is the result of bacteria breaking down protein into certain acids. Source.

I didn't mean the bacteria itself is decaying, but rather, that it's the source.

Blah blah blah - long story short and back on track for the thread: deodorant isn't supposed to cover up smell... but I guess if you're ok with having stink on you and covering it up with more smell... whatever. I use and would strongly recommend unscented products that prevent the cause of the odor rather than just trying to cover it up.

Body odor (or B.O., bromhidrosis, osmidrosis or ozochrotia) is a perceived unpleasant smell our bodies can give off when bacteria that live on the skin break down sweat into acids - some say it is the smell of bacteria growing on the body, but it really is the result of bacteria breaking down protein into certain acids. Source.

I didn't mean the bacteria itself is decaying, but rather, that it's the source.

Blah blah blah - long story short and back on track for the thread: deodorant isn't supposed to cover up smell... but I guess if you're ok with having stink on you and covering it up with more smell... whatever. I use and would strongly recommend unscented products that prevent the cause of the odor rather than just trying to cover it up.
    Then we agree as I misread your words

- Knize Ten

Blog Entries

Then we agree as I misread your words
    No worries! We were actually saying the same thing in two different ways. I think it's funny how most people mistakenly think sweat is stinky. Sweat is mostly just water and salt. It's that other stuff (that we were talking about) which creates the nasty odor.

No worries! We were actually saying the same thing in two different ways. I think it's funny how most people mistakenly think sweat is stinky. Sweat is mostly just water and salt. It's that other stuff (that we were talking about) which creates the nasty odor.
    Yes I agree completely.
    Don't ask me how many times I had to tell people that sweat itself does not stink

- Knize Ten

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Same for me.

I have Dior Homme deodorant and while it's nice enough it's very different from the edt. Same for most I have tried.
    Amen to that. I bought the Dior Homme Deodorant spray a couple of days ago and promptly took it back. It smells NOTHING like Dior Homme. Maybe a bit like Dior Homme Sport, but nothing like DH. Lesson learned.