Code of Conduct

Default Kindly relying upon the wisdom and knowledge of BN again, for a possible blind purchase. Thanks!

Dear Basenoters, kindly requesting any opinion/input/info about Giorgio Beverly Hills Red, seriously considered by me for a future blind purchase.

Along with another fragrance by the same house recommended to me by several Basenotes friends, also considering to get Red, even without any previous sampling. Aside for being available at a very inexpensive price (thus, worst case scenario, losing the equivalent of little over 20 USD or a little below 20 EUR per full bottle at most).

Happened to like its description, its main notes and also its release year quite a bit, the only reason for still being a bit on the fence about it is a certain amount of negative/neutral reviews from some of the Basenotes members whose opinions I always value greatly.

Then again, no blind buy recommended by Basenotes, not even a single one was unsuccessful or in any way unpleasant to me- thus expressing once more the thankfulness for the invaluable knowledge so generously shared here.

In relation to my personal fragrance tastes, there is not one single note listed in the fragrance I dislike and, as a first impression, it seems quite powerhouse as a composition, even if released very few years after the actual powerhouse decade. On the other hand, fully aware that even great notes can only make up about half of a good fragrance, the other half possibly being the blending as well as the dosage of these very notes. Being a total fan of powerhouses and of citrus, chypre, leathery notes in male fragrances, as well as classic rather than modern compositions, can enjoy almost any fragrance of this particular kind, perhaps with the exception of Kouros, while totally into other strong and noticeable scents like:
    vintage Trussardi Uomo, Boss No. 1, Givenchy Gentleman, Francesco Smalto pour Homme, Lapidus pour Homme, Salvador Dali pour Homme, Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme, vintage Antaeus, Santos de Cartier, Gucci Nobile, Drakkar Noir, both 1976 Halstons, Versace l'Homme, Zino and Relax by Davidoff, One Man Show and Force Majeure by Bogart, most Faconnable scents from the 80s and 90s, most of the ones by Jacomo from the same period, Esencia Loewe, Aramis Tuscany and Tuscany Uomo Forte as well as others similar to these.

With apologies if this post was overlong and at times difficult to follow, would this fragrance make a good blind buy, given my current wardrobe and/or preferences? Or is this rather a scent that almost requires previous testing before considering any blind buy, as the risk of disliking it may be too serious?

Thanks in advance for any reply and ready to reply to this thread as often as required and as necessarily. Much appreciated!
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 19th September 2015 at 01:34 AM.

Default Re: Kindly relying upon the wisdom and knowledge of BN again, for a possible blind purchase. Thanks!

Looking in your wardrobe Ken I am surprised you don't already own this.

Its a powerhouse 80's style herbal leather scent with prominent oakmoss in the drydown. Performance is excellent. I'm sure you will enjoy this one and reccomend a blind buy.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Default Re: Kindly relying upon the wisdom and knowledge of BN again, for a possible blind purchase. Thanks!

Thanks, definitely planning to get it now, as oakmoss plays an important and beneficial part- at least personally speaking- not just in my wardrobe so far, but also as a valuable contribution to the classics of fragrance history.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Aside for being available at a very inexpensive price (thus, worst case scenario, losing the equivalent of little over 20 USD or a little below 20 EUR per full bottle at most).
    Even if you wind up not liking it, not a large monetary loss for a blind buy IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Even if you wind up not liking it, not a large monetary loss for a blind buy IMO.
    Indeed yes, sound advice, also considering the fact that the probability to like it is quite significant. Many thanks, may consider to share a few personal impressions about this fragrance once the delivery arrives.

I'd be kind of careful with this one, even for that nothing price. Most of those old Giorgio's aren't remotely as good as they were in the 80s-90s. Even something like Giorgio for Men, though good, isn't near the monster it once was, but at least it smells in the same ballpark as it used to. Red really doesn't.

Big bold and a great fragrance.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Rose by Caron

I personally don't recall it very much but it describes like it'd suit you
    for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

The vintage Red for Men is terrific smelling and it is one of less than a handful of compositions I wore often enough to go through a full bottle. I never thought it much of an oakmoss driven composition at all though, truly... It *is* one of the most complex perfumes I ever encountered with so many ingredients blended perfectly to the point it is near impossible to identify individual notes. Quite frankly, there really isn't anything remotely like it that I have ever sniffed. Vintage Red for Men is potent, but has nowhere near the projection of powerhouses like vintage Giorgio for Men. The current stuff is a complete disappointment not worth the bother or money, IMO. This is one where the vintage is the only way to go in order to sniff the composition as intended.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Thanks for the advice everyone, will report back with impressions immediately after the purchase or, should any sampling possibilities come up-hardly likely, but never say never, after some testing to counteract most, even all blind buying risks!

Might be too late for a reply, but this is among the Yatagan / R&G Open category, spicy - woody - musky a la B*Men category.
    I can imagine the oakmoss must have made all the difference, so the actual formulation might be "thinner" than it used to be.
    In a nutshell, bold and crass, lacks "finesse", IMHO. It is among the ones in the list "to be dismissed".

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Might be too late for a reply, but this is among the Yatagan / R&G Open category, spicy - woody - musky a la B*Men category.
    I can imagine the oakmoss must have made all the difference, so the actual formulation might be "thinner" than it used to be.
    In a nutshell, bold and crass, lacks "finesse", IMHO. It is among the ones in the list "to be dismissed".
    Thanks, definitely not a too late advice and glad about any opinion. In fact, out of the three aforementioned only knowing B*Men very well and actually enjoying it. If not liking, than at least not bothered about the lack of finesse displayed by this Mugler fragrance, being probably among the few BN members who on one hand regret that B*Men was officially discontinued, yet also glad about the fact that it can be still bought quite reasonably priced online. So any resemblance, even minimal and fleeting, with B*Men-including all the boldness and crassness of this one- is actually a plus point for me in favor of a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Thanks, definitely not a too late advice and glad about any opinion. In fact, out of the three aforementioned only knowing B*Men very well and actually enjoying it. If not liking, than at least not bothered about the lack of finesse displayed by this Mugler fragrance, being probably among the few BN members who on one hand regret that B*Men was officially discontinued, yet also glad about the fact that it can be still bought quite reasonably priced online. So any resemblance, even minimal and fleeting, with B*Men is actually a plus point for me in favor of a purchase.

B*Men lacks finesse IMHO... but, at the expense of contradicting myself, is a trip to the past I like to wear in really cold days (under the shirt) while wearing a leather jacket, which has a distinctive leather smell.
    Not the same with Red, though.

Thanks for the info

I see you have Drakkar Noir and rate it 4 stars. Based on that and that alone, my guess is that you'll enjoy Red.

Now, here's my long-winded story concerning Red...

I didn't know shit about Red back when I was acquiring/sampling anything and everything I thought would appeal to me. I'd read so many reviews about how manly, leathery and mossy Red was. Must be right up my alley, I thought. A Big Fat F*cking Chypre.

From Red for Men BN reviews and reviews from another site, I lifted the following references made to other fragrances:

(Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. Preferred Stock by Stetson, Safari for Men, Fendi Uomo, Drakkar Noir, Escada pour Homme, "Reminds a bit of joop but not as sweet", "aftershave-like opening of Old Spice", "the unwanted bastard stepbrother of Drakar and Quorom", "an opening similar to Escada pH", "base notes will remind you of its exceptional brother, Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men", "if I want a powdery floral fragrance for men, I'd just as soon reach for Tiffany for Men", Preferred Stock, Trussardi Uomo, "a cross between perferred stock and Ambre by Baldessarini", "it's similar to Polo original in many ways", "kind of kinship with Obsession for men", "there is nothing like it (vintage)", "the same animalic tone as used in YSL jazz", "part New York to one part Drakkar Noir", Givenchy’s Xeryus, "a lighter CK Obsession", Francesco Smalto Pour Homme, "similar to two classical female perfumes: Rochas femme and Guerlain Mitsouko", "reminds me of Halston Catalyst and RL Safari", Halston 1-12, "remarkably close to vintage Perry Ellis For Men", "Cut from the same cloth as CK's Obsession (or, in a newer context, Viktor & Rolf's Spicebomb or Mont Blanc's Legend), and the masculine equivalent of YSL's Opium, evidently 7 people thought it similar to Land of Warriors - Vagabond Prince, evidently 2 people thought it similar to Patou pH, evidently some once thought it was like Knize 10.)

Wow! All over the friggin' map. Sure, a lot of these reviews weren't written yet when I first starting looking into Red, but those that were out there were all over the place. Some were the same ole' Go Vintage or Go Home mantra while others, citing side by side sniffing, insisted the Elizabeth Arden reform was the same juice. THAT will probably never change. In any event, I decided to see for myself.

My first excursion with Red was a bulk purchase that included a bunch of carded samples (EA, I assume). My first impressions went straight to what I remembered Drakkar Noir and Xeryus smelling like way back in the 80s when those came out and I received them as gifts. I was a little bummed & confused... whoa now, "Where's the Big Fat F*cking Chypre?" I asked myself. THIS just didn't jibe with what people were saying/writing OR, at least, what I was hearing/reading. The disconnect just did not make any sense to me. So I decided to next check out the vintage.

I got a 15ml edt with no mention of EA anywhere on the bottom label "EAU DE TOILETTE / .5 FL. OZ. 15ml / GIORGIO BEVERLY HILLS / BEVERLY HILLS CA LONDON W.1. / MADE IN U.S.A. FABRIQUE AUX E.-U." One can find them on eBay from time to time and they're marketed as old or original formula. From this bottle I get the same fragrance as my carded samples, i.e. certainly no night/day differences to me. Not bad, but definitely nothing special. Certainly not the BFF chypre I was expecting... moreso a fresh 'cologney' aromatic fougere in the same league as Drakkar Noir, Xeryus, Lagerfeld Photo, YSL Jazz, Aramis Tuscany and so on.

Wait a sec. I've recently noticed there's a cologne spray version of vintage Red that exists. I've come across something similar during vintage chases of Bijan for Men and Perry Ellis for Men - Original. With Bijan, I never smelled the edt marketed as vintage (e.g. folding box), so I can't compare that with the few 1 oz. cologne sprays I've picked up -- the cologne sprays are great but, again, I would not call them so different from the current Bijan edt. Differences, yes, but not night/day different. With the Perry Ellis, however, the difference between the older stuff marketed as edt and the stuff marketed as cologne was significant. Categorically significant.

Well, coincidentally, I've got 50ml of Red vintage cologne spray coming my way. We shall see.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 20th September 2015 at 12:02 AM.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Thanks for the diverse and truly well-informed, as well as diverse insights. While the quoted fragrance comparisons are indeed highly varied and across the board, covering quite an impressive selection of fragrances more or less similar to Red, by coincidence or chance, happen to enjoy most of the fragrance quoted, so if there is even a slight similarity between all these and Red, there is also a slight likeliness to end up enjoying it.

Many thanks again for the advice and all the best for your upcoming fragrance order.

I'd get Preferred Stock before I got the reissue of Red. The original Red has so much going on it's hard to describe it as one scent! There are some "fresh" aroma chemicals but they are largely concealed. After an hour or so the dry/woody note appears and keeps the complexity in check, while providing more identity. On each wearing, at least for a while, different facets may seem dominant to you, so this is one that may need to be worn several times over a course of a couple months to appreciate the nuances.

Loud and a bit cheap, but more interesting than most niche fragrances. Not as good as and less dignified than Drakkar Noir, which isn't impossibly elegant itself.

Fun to own but I rarely use it. Like the bottle. Go for it. I think it'll satisfy you in one way or another. It's a lot of fragrance ! Think I'll go spray some on even though it might not go with the Yohji Homme. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 20th September 2015 at 05:43 AM.

Could someone post pictures with the first edition and actual edition boxes and bottles?
    Do they look the same or are different?

Thanks for the replies so far-eagerly awaiting to share some of the own personal impressions about this once arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Could someone post pictures with the first edition and actual edition boxes and bottles?
    Do they look the same or are different?
    I'll throw some pictures up. Caveat: I've got no facts, just piecing together tidbits of info gathered from BN threads with the help of my good friend the search function and the invaluable contributions from the members that participated in those discussions (some of which have chimed in above ).

From this thread, and specifically mr. sentimus' post #4, we see in an intro article for its release that Red for Men was being offered in "cologne".

...The men's fragrance will bear upper-moderate price points, with a twice-yearly limited edition of a 1.7-oz. spray cologne retailing for $26. Other items will include a 3.4-oz. spray cologne for $39.50, an after shave soother and after shave refresher, each 3.4-oz. for $28. ...

Probably looking something like this:

50ml
    50ml red cologne front.JPG50ml red bottom.JPG

100ml
    red cologne bottom.JPG

If these pictures don't cut it, eBay listing #371188240887 presents a clear pic of a 100ml cologne spray bottle and the under label.

From the BN brand directory re Giorgio Beverly Hills we know that Avon owned the brand in '91 when Red was released. Avon sold to Proctor & Gamble in '94. Arden Inc. acquired the world-wide license for Giorgio Beverly HIlls in '07.

At some point in time, Red was offered in Eau de Toilette without "Arden Inc.", "Elizabeth Arden", or "EA Fragrances" showing on the bottom stickers (or boxes I guess). Was this done as early as '94, when P&G took over from Avon? Dunno. LIke I said in my previous post, these are being and have been marketed as 'old/original formula'.

Then, in '07 or after, "Arden, Inc.", "Elizabeth Arden", or "EA Fragrances" started appearing on bottom labels and boxes. This would be considered the current formula. I don't have a pictures but you can go to eBay and look at listing #271976996114 for such a label.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 20th September 2015 at 08:20 PM.
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Thanks D.

New version bought a few years ago:

Wore it tonight and it settled into something fairly wonderful. Softer, sweeter than Drakkar Noir. Fairly plush texture and that faint, dusty bubblegum note reminiscent of many great leathers like Bandit and Knize Ten. Quality drydown with complexity, decent heft, captivating, semi-mesmeric, persistent quiddity of the basenote accords. Different animalics, more civet musky rather than the castoreum of Yatagan, but overall something like a slightly more affable Yatagan x Drakkar Noir in extended drydown. Tenacious with decent feel of naturalness. Great sillage, brash and energizing. I’d rather wear this than most of the hundreds of niches I’ve owned or tried.

Edit: Remember, it's not the pinnacle of quality ingredients. And the stuff sends a bitter shock out of the sprayer that will overwhelm most people. Could be seriously disconcerting to them. Bitter, almost astringent. Not far from the intensity of of real gasoline. Go light your first few actual wearings. Probably spray in hand and apply with finesse.
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd September 2015 at 01:53 AM.

Thanks for the insights so far.

Brief update- bought this one a few months ago and thanks so much for the recommendations and insights, as they all helped in making a truly rewarding decision.

Thanks to each and everyone of you, it was possible to buy a truly amazing fragrance at inexpensive rates, while having access to anything but cheap quality levels.