Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 49
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,001

    Default Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Sounds very intense and interesting, there isnt much info on this new UK brand:





    https://beaufortlondon.com/product/1805-eau-de-parfum/

    They also have two other fragrances:

    Coeur De Noir:

    "Black Ink dominate here; west Indian spiced rum; papers lost and found; the familiar dry accords of leather bound books balanced with warm enigmatic notes of vanilla pipe tobacco. All finely based around a dark heart of birch tar and labdanum."



    And East India:


  2. #2

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    All of them sound pretty interesting

  3. #3
    Duke Hunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Heartbreak Hotel
    Posts
    5,454

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Well shiver me timbers!

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    220,213

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    This one sounds quite interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Institution sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    32,478

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Was thinking the pirate thing as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Well shiver me timbers!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,001

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This one sounds quite interesting.
    I thought you might dig it. I will reach out to the brand and see if they offer samples and overseas shipping.

    I agree, all three sound interesting.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    - 1805 is definitely an interesting fragrance! I've tried it, along with their 2 other offerings. I would say 1805 is the most interesting out of the 3, though probably the least wearable. Interesting in that you really do get a feel for the notes that they wanted to convey, e.g. gunpowder, smoke, sea spray. I found myself sniffing the test strip over and over again, and likened it more to a piece of art moreso than any other fragrance I've ever tried. If there was such a thing as a perfume gallery like an art gallery, 1805 would fit right into it.
    - East India was definitely more wearable, and lovers of smoke, incense and tobacco will probably enjoy it.
    - I spent least time with Coeur de Noir so don't feel it fair to comment on it.

    Honestly, I don't think my words do any justice to this line. I don't mean this in a 'this house is a winner' kind of way, in fact, I can see people being put off by the opulence and strength of the fragrances, and it will NOT be everyone's cup of tea. However, I would say that this line is definitely one that has to be experienced, and anyone who are into fragrances that are different and interesting (I know this word is bandied around quite often, but I think it really does apply here) should try and test it for themselves!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,001

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    I just wanted to bump this thread and inform everyone interested that the house now offers shipping of samples outside the UK.

    I have ordered a set and will report back.

  9. #9
    Oviatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,880

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Thanks, Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
    Striving still to Truth unknown
    Currently wearing: Él by Arquiste

  10. #10

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    [QUOTE=DerangedGoose;3634818]

    Coeur De Noir:

    "Black Ink dominate here; west Indian spiced rum; *****papers lost and found****

    ^^ Seriously? What does that smell like?😀😁

  11. #11
    Dependent naylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,996

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    [QUOTE=eccj;3647333]
    Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post

    Coeur De Noir:

    "Black Ink dominate here; west Indian spiced rum; *****papers lost and found****

    ^^ Seriously? What does that smell like?
    Probably ink, paper, and spiced rum? Sounds pretty good to me...

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,001

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Well, I got my samples in. Very fast shipping from the UK!

    East India: This is probably the most immediately likable of the bunch, a rather heady, boozy mix of whiskey, incense, and tobacco. There is a smokiness to it, mostly the birch tar, accentuated by pepper and oud. There is tea as well, but I have no idea what "opium" smells like. Easily could have been a Lutens release, given the dense, rich, and sweet style. Not my taste, but competently executed. Fans of Bentley Intense and Lutens should sample this one

    Coeur De Noir: Not much smoke here, but you definitely get the dryness of the labdanum, and it is reminiscent of old paper/books. It is pretty dry and dusty; I can safely say I am not at all a fan of this kind of style. It seems to be very prominent in middle eastern perfumery (Amouage and all the middle eastern exclusives of various houses). Fans of the hyper-dry aesthetic might enjoy this

    1805: bizarre and powerful. Opens with a borderline searing blast of some kind of detergent aromachemical, then the flinty, sulfurous and phosphor-laden gunpowder rears its head. The two swirl together, and then you start getting the notes of fire, smoke, and salty mineralic notes (this is probably the blood and sea spray).

    All throughout, there is this shrieking note of cheap detergent, I have no idea where its coming from and its really loud and almost sickening; I've never felt the urge to pull a sample paper away after burying my nose in it as I have with this fragrance. Perhaps its different on skin or needs some time to settle. I wouldn't really call it "disgusting"; at least not in a biological sense, but there is something way off about it. A noble effort, though.

    EDIT: the papers have settled and the fragrances are better now. India is a nice smokey take on the ambery oriental of Lutens, not unlike a smokier fille en aiguilles. Noir is a dry composition in line with Amouage. The detergent note of 1805 is gone, there is an intense, smoke laden and smouldering presence sharpened with flint and mineral notes. Fans of intense smoke should try this, its very strong
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 15th October 2015 at 08:46 PM.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    1,045

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Just ordered samples - sound fantastic!

  14. #14
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Twisted Lily has a sample set. Just ordered mine.

  15. #15
    Dependent Himalayan odyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    New delhi
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    Well, I got my samples in. Very fast shipping from the UK!

    East India: This is probably the most immediately likable of the bunch, a rather heady, boozy mix of whiskey, incense, and tobacco. There is a smokiness to it, mostly the birch tar, accentuated by pepper and oud. There is tea as well, but I have no idea what "opium" smells like. Easily could have been a Lutens release, given the dense, rich, and sweet style. Not my taste, but competently executed. Fans of Bentley Intense and Lutens should sample this one

    Coeur De Noir: Not much smoke here, but you definitely get the dryness of the labdanum, and it is reminiscent of old paper/books. It is pretty dry and dusty; I can safely say I am not at all a fan of this kind of style. It seems to be very prominent in middle eastern perfumery (Amouage and all the middle eastern exclusives of various houses). Fans of the hyper-dry aesthetic might enjoy this

    1805: bizarre and powerful. Opens with a borderline searing blast of some kind of detergent aromachemical, then the flinty, sulfurous and phosphor-laden gunpowder rears its head. The two swirl together, and then you start getting the notes of fire, smoke, and salty mineralic notes (this is probably the blood and sea spray).

    All throughout, there is this shrieking note of cheap detergent, I have no idea where its coming from and its really loud and almost sickening; I've never felt the urge to pull a sample paper away after burying my nose in it as I have with this fragrance. Perhaps its different on skin or needs some time to settle. I wouldn't really call it "disgusting"; at least not in a biological sense, but there is something way off about it. A noble effort, though.

    EDIT: the papers have settled and the fragrances are better now. India is a nice smokey take on the ambery oriental of Lutens, not unlike a smokier fille en aiguilles. Noir is a dry composition in line with Amouage. The detergent note of 1805 is gone, there is an intense, smoke laden and smouldering presence sharpened with flint and mineral notes. Fans of intense smoke should try this, its very strong
    Thanks for your detailed impressions ...I am intrigued by it especially east India....lets see if they can ship samples to India ....will try once I am back from new year vacations...
    Currently wearing: Rochas Lui by Rochas

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    32,074

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    They sound very sample worthy. What are the prices ($) of the full bottles like?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  17. #17
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,739

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    I sampled East India, Coeur de Noir and 1805 and thought they ranged from so-so to horrible. I can't now remember which I liked least but have no desire to go back to my samples.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution JiveHippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11,557

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I sampled East India, Coeur de Noir and 1805 and thought they ranged from so-so to horrible. I can't now remember which I liked least but have no desire to go back to my samples.
    Have to agree. They're definitely not for the faint of heart. Coeur de Noir was the only one I found remotely pleasant. The other 2 are vile.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    As many others have said, they definitely all sound very interesting! I think I'll have to try these out.. Shiver me timbers indeed.

  20. #20
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,739

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

  21. #21

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Ok, this was interesting.. Although I'd still like to sample these. I would love some intense smoke.

  22. #22
    Dependent Roky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Heilbronx
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    ... sounds like I've composed it ...

  23. #23
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    32,074

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Oh I remember that review when I read it lol

    Yes, to him they were irritatingly smoky. I can empathize with that. There is a line when it comes to smoky scents
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  24. #24

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    I have my mitts on them. You know, I like them all. As was noted these are not for the timid. I think they might appeal to those who love NK Incense/Black Afgano. The complexity of the notes makes them very dark and smoky. I glad I found them.

    BTW, theres really little trace of the metallic smell of blood. This is not a hideous Blood Concept style(?)
    Currently wearing: Tel Aviv by Gallivant

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Quote Originally Posted by AyelFior View Post
    - 1805 is definitely an interesting fragrance! I've tried it, along with their 2 other offerings. I would say 1805 is the most interesting out of the 3, though probably the least wearable. Interesting in that you really do get a feel for the notes that they wanted to convey, e.g. gunpowder, smoke, sea spray. I found myself sniffing the test strip over and over again, and likened it more to a piece of art moreso than any other fragrance I've ever tried. If there was such a thing as a perfume gallery like an art gallery, 1805 would fit right into it.
    This is kind of how I feel about this. I tried Beaufort 1805 for the first time today and it is some very interesting stuff. Okay, maybe not the most wearable (somewhat of an understatement), I for one would not buy it (I doubt I'll use the sample again either).. but damn.. It is different and interesting. First impressions were, hmmm, not sure what I think of this.. I kept smelling it over and over again. As time went on, I feel it's more of a so-so.. then I got to the point where I was scrubbing it off my arm. A female friend smelled it and thought it was absolutely disgusting. I feel it delivers what it says it does.. you get a feel for all those notes. I think they nailed the "high seas" element I think they were trying for! I'd imagine you could wear this if you want to feel like Blackbeard or Captain Kidd! I wouldn't expent many compliments from the ladies though.. It's potent.. dark, smokey.. different to anything I've tried before.. It's unique. I'll give it that.
    Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 18th January 2016 at 11:50 PM.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Ordered each sample from Beaufort. This is so interesting, and so good communication from them. Big thumbs up for Beaufort London.

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    I have since tried all of them, 1805, Coeur de Noir and East India. Although all unique in their own respect, I feel as if there's a certain similarity to all of them.. one could easily identify them as all being from the same house. I wouldn't buy a bottle of any of them, regardless of price. However, I think the least unpleasant of the three was Coeur de Noir. Like they said.. ink, spiced rum, leather, and some vanilla. But too much of it and it'll be awful. They're all very potent. East India was my least favourite of the bunch. I didn't truly enjoy any of them but I found it particularly unpleasant. None of them went down well with friends and family. I'd recommend trying them out though, for novelty sake if nothing else. Just aren't my cup of tea.
    Last edited by MonsieurChanel; 18th January 2016 at 11:51 PM.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    I like all three of these and own bottles of two: 1805 and East India. 1805 is a deep leather scent with a polished freshly cut steel secondary aroma. East India is a deep spice, incense and smoke scent. Both are very interesting and quite deep in aroma - lots of layers. Coeur de Noir smells mostly of dark ink and old books and whatever else is there is covered over by that not unpleasant inky smell. Not sure about that one. I think they are excellent fragrance and are worth a try if looking for something different. Twisted Lilly carries these in the U.S. and they offer samples.

  29. #29
    Basenotes Plus
    freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    12,911

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    Interesting, shall keep an eye out for sampling opportunities.

    Thank you DerangedGoose and everyone else for the feedback.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Réminiscence

  30. #30

    Default Re: Beaufort 1805 - Smoke, Gunpowder, Blood, Brandy, Wood, Sea Spray -- anyone tried this?

    1805 sounds AMAZING!
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Similar Threads

  1. Wood and smoke recomendations - note, not incense!
    By cornishlee in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 20th December 2015, 11:54 PM
  2. Wood Smoke
    By Mr Nobody in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 31st March 2015, 07:52 PM
  3. chene vs. apple brandy vs. spice and wood
    By Sweetstench408 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20th January 2015, 04:19 PM
  4. Wood smoke as a room spray?
    By Chris Bartlett in forum Home Fragrance
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 22nd November 2012, 02:31 PM
  5. Wood smoke and other smells
    By marnut in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 5th August 2008, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000