Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How should I respond to someone when I'm asked if I'm wearing perfume?

I own and enjoy a good amount of unisex fragrances, but a lot of my friends think I'm wearing "women's perfume" whenever I use them. It really doesn't have any effect on me, but don't really know what to say when they ask for some reasoning; I usually just shake my head and move on. What would your response be if you were in my situation?
    Last edited by Nelsen; 26th September 2015 at 11:00 PM.

Default Re: How should I respond to someone when I'm asked if I'm wearing perfume?

"Yes. By the way, your nose hairs require trimming."

I love making people self conscious when they attempt to do the same to me.

Default Re: How should I respond to someone when I'm asked if I'm wearing perfume?

Just tell the truth.
    If it really bothers you enough that you don't know how to answer then don't wear it around them.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Just tell the truth.
    If it really bothers you enough that you don't know how to answer then don't wear it around them.
    +1-And, who cares what they think? Your true friends won't care.

Yes, in any case, with two variations: if I do not know the person well nor if that person is into fragrances- simply admit wearing the fragrance and. at most, the fragrance name; if the person is a closer friend or acquaintance and if also incidentally into fragrances, admit, named the fragrance and perhaps certain additional details (house, notes, gender etc.), especially if asked first about these very details.
    Currently wearing: Héritage by Guerlain

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Just tell the truth.
    This
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Just shrug your shoulders and say, "One man's opinion".

PS- women like a good-smelling guy.

Dependent

If they seem genuinely interested I will explain how fragrance works. If I feel they are just being snarky I simply say, "i am in fact wearing fragrance." I find it really depends on the person you are dealing with. Some guys seem to feel anything that smells different from their walmart alpine Extreme body wash is feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Just shrug your shoulders and say, "One man's opinion".

PS- women like a good-smelling guy.
    Even if you aren't wearing fragrance to help you to try to attract women, and explanation like this can often convince closed minded guys that it's ok to wear scent.
    Touched by his noodly appendage 😇

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post

Haha nice.. or "yes.. btw you don't have a forehead, you've got a five head." lol
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 27th September 2015 at 12:06 AM.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

Blog Entries

Even if you aren't wearing fragrance to help you to try to attract women, and explanation like this can often convince closed minded guys that it's ok to wear scent.
    Certainly both sexes like their partners to smell nice. But I think you're right- this explanation can help convince stubborn heterosexual men to like scent.

Smack 'em in the face!
    My wardrobe is up to date.

"yes"

Just tell them it's unisex
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 27th September 2015 at 12:05 AM.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

List the scents that you claim your friends are indicating to be of the feminine persuasion.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    Tell em yea your mom was wearing perfume last night.. some must have rubbed off on me. lol
    That was the laugh I needed today!

Tell them yes.

Basenotes Plus

Perhaps, "Don't get jealous cause I smell better than your woman!"

Then run ....

Just say "creed" and that's it. Most will assume it's the name of the scent.

Never give away your secrets or else they will wear that amazing niche that is yours!

Say yes, and ask them if they're wearing underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsen View Post
    I own and enjoy a good amount of unisex fragrances, but a lot of my friends think I'm wearing "women's perfume" whenever I use them. It really doesn't have any effect on me, but don't really know what to say when they ask for some reasoning; I usually just shake my head and move on. What would your response be if you were in my situation?
    If you don't know how to respond, then it IS having an effect on you.
    I smell marshmallows!
    Currently wearing: Vanitas by Profumum

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post

Yep!!!!
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Say yes, and ask them if they're wearing underwear.
    Yah!!!
    I am definitely on the floor with that!!
    LOL
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Roundhouse kick them right in the face. How dare they!

Not many of us can be put in your place. We cone from different backgrounds, social circles, personalities & so on.

I think you should keep doing what you've been doing.
    for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

" No, but I did break wind."

Works best with animalic oud fragrances though. Silly questions simply deserve outrageous replies.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

So many threads about this subject.

Why does a man feel offended/annoyed if they say he smells "like a woman"?

How do women smell?

When is a perfume for men and when is it for women? Where is the borderline?

Is unisex a marketing thing?

At what age can you wear a certain perfume? What clothes do you have to wear to use a certain fragrance?

Would a woman be offended if her friends would say she smelled like a man?

When I speak for myself. I wear what I want and whenever I want. I like compliments of course but I am passed feeling bad when someone criticizes my clothing, smelling, haircut, profession, house, etc etc... Come to think of it, it's like a decade ago that happened to me

To answer the question. I would say "Yes, it's nice, isn't it"

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsen View Post
    don't really know what to say when they ask for some reasoning; I usually just shake my head and move on.
    Sounds like shame and denial.

Not sure what the problem is. Are we discussing the use of the word "Perfume", and that it implies a female marketed fragrance (as opposed to what exactly? Cologne? Smell? Stink?). Wear what you enjoy, and if someone asks you, then tell them. "Yes, I am wearing Perfume. Also called Fragrance, Cologne, body spray." "Is it any of your business?"

If someone asks me if I wear perfume/fragrance/cologne I just say yes.. I understand that in some circles you'd say no, due to some people being ignorant and judging about men wearing fragrance, but personally I don't care.
    My blog: Fume-head