Code of Conduct

Default If Antaeus is only $89 in department stores, why is it marked up so much more online?

I know Antaeus has been reformulated, but most of these listings i'm seeing for $100 and up don't call out that its vintage. The ones that do specify vintage want over $200 for a bottle.(give or take, i just glanced quickly.)

I sampled the fragrance for a second time this weekend in Bloomingdales, and i'm thinking about adding it to my collection, and i was a bit taken back by how much more it is online. Are these online sellers just hoping people dont realize you can walk into a bloomingdales or saks and buy it, or are they hoping people assume its vintage because its more money?

Default Re: If Antaeus is only $89 in department stores, why is it marked up so much more online?

For some reason they always do that with Chanels--especially on eBay. Either they're dumb or they think buyers are dumb. I can purchase a bottle of Sycomore off the Chanel website itself for half the price some people are selling it on eBay.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: If Antaeus is only $89 in department stores, why is it marked up so much more online?

Quote Originally Posted by notwerby View Post
    Are these online sellers just hoping people dont realize you can walk into a bloomingdales or saks and buy it, or are they hoping people assume its vintage because its more money?
    Perhaps it's a little of both.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I can only speak for original formula as price is relevant to how much you want to pay for it for supply is low of "OF" and thus increases the price.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I guess i'll be going to Saks then. I was thinking that maybe it was like Kouros, where there were multiple reformulations, and the "Vintage" is the best, but there are ones in between that are so so. Any opinion about the current formulation vs vintage? I did a spray on my arm, and one on my chest, and i could still smell it strong on my shirt a day later.

Not where I live- in fact currently the prices of online retailers/discounters of this fragrance, while not significantly cheaper, are still slightly more affordable than in regular stores.

Nevertheless, would be ready to pay the markup, if either of these retailers, irrespective if online or offline, would have the vintage formulation of this fragrance in stock.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by notwerby View Post
    I guess i'll be going to Saks then.
    Smart IMO, especially if it's lower than what you found elsewhere, and probably fresher.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Smart IMO, especially if it's lower than what you found elsewhere, and probably fresher.
    I always worry about that when hunting down "vintage" bottles. I went on a quest for Kouros a while back, and i ended up with 2 older bottles. One was a tester from a little perfume / cd / dvd shop on Roosevelt ave in Corona queens. Its def the real deal. Then i got a Kouros splash from another store, that is also an older bottle, and better than the current version, but nowhere near as funky. Not sure if its just weak from being stored improperly, or just a semi reformulated version.

Kouros has several versions, and I'll refer you to Andre's blog for more info than I can personally remember about it:
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...f-gods-12.html

If it's on ebay and doesn't say it's vintage, it probably isn't. You can find the odd listing here or there with pics of the actual item for sale (not stock photos) that shows they're selling vintage but don't realize it. That's how I got my vintage Antaeus for the same price as current production. The current juice is still very good IMO and if I hadn't scored a vintage bottle I'd have no problems wearing the new stuff.

I bought my Egoiste at Nordstrom. Same price as everywhere else and I got to walk off with it "right now." If you can wait a couple of days, you can order off Chanel's website, and they throw in free samples. I don't know why people would pay more on ebay, but I guess some people just assume it's the cheapest place to buy everything. Lazy buyers are out there and sellers will take advantage if they can. Kind of like when (hypothetical example) the 32 oz bottle of dish soap costs more per ounce than the 16 oz bottle.

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

When traveling either semi-local or afar I always try to make time to check around the area for mom-and-pop independent pharmacy/small retail stores that just might have a stock of vintage fragrances at (hopefully) bargain or affordable prices. So far my best result was less than a mile from my home! --four 1.7oz bottles of original Montana Parfum d'Homme (French made). Hopefully I will uncover the "Lost Dutchman Gold Mine" of fragrance in the future.
    Last edited by kbe; 5th October 2015 at 01:53 PM.
    we have seen the enemy...and he is us.-Pogo

For Chanel products, the best way to purchase is straight from authorized dealers and from Chanel itself. There are so many freaking fake Chanels on eBay at all times. It's the one line/house that I recommend this for. Other houses have legit products on eBay for great prices if you do your homework and vet the sellers.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Kouros has several versions, and I'll refer you to Andre's blog for more info than I can personally remember about it:
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...f-gods-12.html
    That's actually the site i had pulled up on my phone while i was out hunting. Tons of useful info. I determined both the bottles i found fell into the "parfums corp." period.

I get all my Chanel products at Neiman Marcus. Like Chuck said too, it's the most trusted way to by Chanel. I got Antaeus earlier this year and its has amazing longevity and sillage. I never had the original so I cant make a comparison. It definitely will get the mean lady at church's attention. (I prayed for her BTW) I know Chanel has a huge ego, and they only allow certain retailers to sell their products. Maybe knowing this, sellers on Ebay and what-have-you try to cash on this. I know outlets can't sell Chanel. Legal reasons may have these guys jacking up prices. As far as vintage goes, I probably would prefer this bottle I have now.Its beautiful, stunning, and manly. It is.. " My Rock of Gilbratar. "
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    I get all my Chanel products at Neiman Marcus. Like Chuck said too, it's the most trusted way to by Chanel. I got Antaeus earlier this year and its has amazing longevity and sillage. I never had the original so I cant make a comparison. It definitely will get the mean lady at church's attention. (I prayed for her BTW) I know Chanel has a huge ego, and they only allow certain retailers to sell their products. Maybe knowing this, sellers on Ebay and what-have-you try to cash on this. I know outlets can't sell Chanel. Legal reasons may have these guys jacking up prices. As far as vintage goes, I probably would prefer this bottle I have now.Its beautiful, stunning, and manly. It is.. " My Rock of Gilbratar. "
    Thanks. We're getting along well...but then again, I've been scent free on Sundays. We all have difficult people we tolerate in our lives. God knows I rub a bunch of people the wrong way. That's life.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Have no experience of buying at US retailers, but I got my Antaeus early this summer (along with a bottle of Egoiste) from an authorised retailer and I am fascinated by it. There is no direct Chanel channel online here in the UK. My previous bottle from 2012 (also from an official place) was a joke - it was soapy with little longevity and stayed as a skin scent mostly. I haven't tried the 'vintage' either.

The one I currently have is a bottle manufactured earlier in the year and it really smells divine. I get a mild leather/floral with an aromatic undertone throughout - I presume that's the beeswax note. A bit like an incense vibe if anything. Two sprays on Saturday morning and I could still smell it on me into Sunday evening.
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

I wonder the same things sometime. Like a 3/4 full bottle of the current formulation of Derby that is priced around $100 more than a new bottle that can be purchased at a Guerlain boutique. Granted it was an EBay listing.

In the US , I noticed Antaeus is not readily available in most dept stores, but in Canada, where my parents live its very much available as is the "Pour Monsieur"