Code of Conduct

Default Panic over a near-empty bottle of cologne!

I'm wondering how everyone else here reacts when their favorite (and hard to get) bottle of cologne gets around 95% used up, which is where I find myself today. A little over a year ago, I started a thread called "The one cologne to rule them all!" And in this thread I spoke about how much I adore my Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme (Red cap) well, a year later my bottle is almost empty and I only have one back-up bottle and I'm starting to stress out a little over it, which seems silly, but yet here I am. 1:25am in the morning, and I'm on basenotes reaching out to the only people I converse with who might understand my situarion. I understand that in the large scheme of things it is a trivial thing to run out of cologne, but this stuff is now a part of my identity, it is a scent that comforts me and makes me feel as if I live in decades past, and maybe closer to my Dad who is in heaven. I even like the tobacco cigarette vibe it gives off even though I don't smoke. if someone else out there in basenotesland has had a similar fit of panic in the middle of the night over a bottle of cologne and had the mad urge to buy as many backup bottles as he or she could find come the morning, I'd love to hear your story.

Default Re: Panic over a near-empty bottle of cologne!

Nothing similar myself but I feel for you.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Understanding such situations quite well, my panic is mostly decreased/averted, if I start looking for backups, especially in the case of rarer fragrances, once the bottle contents reach a filling level slightly above or slightly below the half

I think Tuscan Leather and Bell Antonio by Hilde Soliani smell like my mother, who smokes. If it is the cigarette thing that reminds you of your dad.
    I personally see it as an oppurtunity to find something new, you have a back-up so you have plenty of time to find a new fav that may be out there.
    Last edited by zeniba; 6th October 2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Currently wearing: Fracas by Robert Piguet

Blog Entries

That's life. I'd just keep the remaining 5% for the occasional wear or reminiscing and pick a new favorite to wear from a well-stocked wardrobe. Life is good.

The good news is you know what notes you associate with your dad, etc. Now all you have to do is to go on a vintage /sampling spree and find better fragrances with even stronger connection to the past.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 6th October 2015 at 11:54 AM.

Oh I totally understand you! Just sit back, relax, it's all gonna be ok. We're here for you on BN! Your story about your father is very moving, and I would encourage you to continue seeking fragrances that bring you closer with your memories of him!
    I buy fragrances that match my personality. I want to smell like I'll whisk you away with me on a weekend retreat to engage in an exciting adventure in parts unknown.

Happens on & off - but, u can still buy the red cap bottle of YSL PH, so stock up on a few bottles to avoid the recurrence of your panic filled night

I remember that thread.
    You should've taken my advice.
    Amounted such a huge selection of perfumes that you deplete way before your perfumes do.
    for swap/sale:

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

To the OP: Perhaps it's time to start or re-initiate your hunt for that elusive bottle now that you are down to your last backup bottle. I totally understand your anxiety.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

+1-Man all your torpedos and spare time to find that bottle as it's out there but you just need to hunt it down. Man, hope you find it. Godspeed!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Blog Entries

Strangely, l get the urge to finish the bottle so l can justify buying something new! And l've found that nearly-empty fragrances tend to turn quite quickly too, something to do with the amount of air in the bottle, l think, so it's probably best to use them up.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Following the Buddhism idea of impermanence--understanding that everything is ephemeral. It brings peace to my mind knowing that it shouldn't last forever. Plus it's good to reflect back on the journey its given throughout wearings. It'll definitely make you appreciate the last few mls of the YSL PH.

Be patient and one will pop up here or there for sure.
    In the meantime you can maybe buy the squared bottle version which is not so bad I read in some reviews.
    My Top '11' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten
    - Amouage: Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by Kem View Post
    Oh I totally understand you! Just sit back, relax, it's all gonna be ok. We're here for you on BN! Your story about your father is very moving, and I would encourage you to continue seeking fragrances that bring you closer with your memories of him!
    Thank you. He was a far cooler man than I.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I remember that thread.
    You should've taken my advice.
    Amounted such a huge selection of perfumes that you deplete way before your perfumes do.
    Ishould have listened: you are the wize man on the mountain of Basenotes. ; -)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    +1-Man all your torpedos and spare time to find that bottle as it's out there but you just need to hunt it down. Man, hope you find it. Godspeed!
    As Sherlock Holmes said, "the Game's afoot!"

Basenotes Member

I killed a 2007-8 bottle of DHI, before I knew what I had (because I liked it so much).

Thankfully, the 13 release has fixed alot of the prior years reform issues .. that being said, I don't plan on making this sort of mistake again.
    If I like it, there will be multiples!!@#!@#$

-Cyan

It is part of the combo. You have to deal with it. At least that is what I do.