Code of Conduct

Default Testing of new forums

This is an early heads up.

As mentioned at the start of the year, we’re going to be moving to different software for the forums part of the site. Currently we use vBulletin 4, which doesn’t have a suitable upgrade path (vBulletin 5 is not ideal for many reasons). The software we will be moving to is Xenforo. It has similar functionality to vBulletin, so it shouldn’t take long to get used to how it works.

Xenforo has the functionlaity to replace:

• Forums
    • Profiles
    • Private messages
    • Photo albums

It doesn’t have inbuilt functionality for:

• Blogs
    • Groups

There are several well-maintained Groups plug-ins available for a fee (I’m looking at them all to see which will be most suitable). And though there are a few blog plug-ins, the ones available are no longer supported or not suited to what we have here. However, the idea is to have a suitable replacement available for when we movem or shortly after

TIME SCALE

There is no time-scale as to when this will happen. If this was just the forums to look into, it would be fine, but I’m going to have to write additional code to ensure that the log-in system ties in with reviews, wardrobes, SOTD and other Basenotes specific features. This may be easy, or may take a long time depending on how much needs doing.

WHAT NEW FEATURES WILL BE AVAILABLE

Xenforo is much more modern, in comparison to vBulletin 4. To begin with, the template works fully on mobile and tablets, so you won’t have to pinch-and-zoom all the time if you are viewing the forums on a mobile device.

Images are better handled as well. If you want to upload an image to a forum post, you can just drag and drop it from your desktop, or easily upload it from your phone
    These are just two things, there are lots of little nice touches too, which would take too long to go into

DEMO

There is a demo available for those who wish to take a look. particularly for anyone that likes testing news things, or those that are worries about big-changes, can take a look around and get familiar with things.

You can find it at http://www.basenotes.net/forms – you will need to log into that section with

Username: test
    Password: test 123

From there you can then log in with your standard account. The data in the demo is from the end of August, so if you have joined since then, you won’t be albe to log in at the moment. Also, if you have recently changed your password you may have to use the old one when logging into the test site.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread here / or in the test forum

Default Re: Testing of new forums

Grant, the camera forum I'm a member of, mu-43, did this exact move of vBulletin v4 to Xenforo in March. But no one there uses groups or blogs. So their move went like a charm. The guy that runs the forum is called Amit Sabet, he might be able to give you some pointers.
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Grant, the camera forum I'm a member of, mu-43, did this exact move of vBulletin v4 to Xenforo in March. But no one there uses groups or blogs. So their move went like a charm. The guy that runs the forum is called Amit Sabet, he might be able to give you some pointers.
    I must admit, the test-import I did went pretty darn smooth with only a few things I need to deal with.

Blogs/groups are probably not going to be a problem. More concerned about adapting all the badly coded stuff I've made!

I may take a look around that forum - it's always nice to see what other forum members say about the change as it gives me pointers of things to look out for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it compatible with Tapatalk?
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Yes

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

It looks pretty user-friendly and easy to get around the site. It will definitely take some time getting used to but my feeling and first impression is that it should work well.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Testing of new forums

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/73709/

So February, not March. Not bad for someone who usually can't remember what he did yesterday.
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes

Jolly good
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Good point, Marais and good to hear that it will work - I'd be lost without Tapatalk!

Blog Entries

Looks good Grant.

What is the prognosis for SOTD and the related wardrobe lists and records of wearings?
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Looks good Grant.

What is the prognosis for SOTD and the related wardrobe lists and records of wearings?
    They won't be affected as the forum database is a separate thing to the perfume-specific stuff.

(this is all a long way off though as I don't have anytime to do anything at the moment..)

It looks cool, Grant

So you have to copy and paste an image to your desktop first?

What software was being used in the 'Huddler' days when you could copy and paste directly into a post?

It's probably about compatibility though -- my browser is Explorer

Wearing Perfume Right Now

They won't be affected as the forum database is a separate thing to the perfume-specific stuff.

(this is all a long way off though as I don't have anytime to do anything at the moment..)
    The current system is working fine.

Blog Entries

Thanks Grant, sounds good.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

It looks ok - it's just a slightly different look that will take a bit of getting used to, but that's ok.

My main concern is that I always enter the site through 'Settings,' so that I can see the latest activity on threads I've posted to. And then I always go to 'New Posts,' to see the latest conversations. If that will still be an available route, I'll be happy. It looks like it should be. I don't like the idea of having to go to each board separately; I never pay attention to which board I'm on because 'New Posts' just includes all of them.

Thanks for the info!

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks for the heads up.