Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Invasion Barbare MDCI Parfums Blindbuy

I kept trying to hit the sample button, but my mouse kept veering towards the 75ML "buy" button. I have to admit, I'm pretty interested in this fragrance. Been eyeing it for a while now. Time to leave the Prada Amber and Rive Gauche on the shelf after I cut my hair each week? I appreciate your input!

Sound Scents

Default Re: Invasion Barbare MDCI Parfums Blindbuy

It didn't really click with my tastes, but my guess is at worst you might scratch your head as to what the fuss (and price) was about. I doubt you will outright dislike the composition as I found it extremely safe and pleasant. You have a pretty good shot at a lot of upside, as many love it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    It didn't really click with my tastes, but my guess is at worst you might scratch your head as to what the fuss (and price) was about. I doubt you will outright dislike the composition as I found it extremely safe and pleasant. You have a pretty good shot at a lot of upside, as many love it.
    This was my experience exactly. I bought, wore it a couple of times, and wondered why it cost so much. Mainly I found it to be very clean and pleasant. I sold it for not much of a loss.

Thanks guys. Just from your comments alone, its probably better just to sample.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Personally love this fragrance. You should do what's best for you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm not trying to sway you away from buying what you think you are going to like, but I like Chypre Palatin .

I LOVE the opening, and for that alone I am happy I own it, but its drydown has an edgy, slightly synthetic feel, with a woodyambery note that feels a little rough and unfinished.

It is a recent addition to my collection, so therefore the fragrance might change its character as the bottle settles, and I get more accustomed to the scent.

I understand where people come from, when they mention IB has a Le Male vibe, as the spices, vanilla and lavender does remind you a teeny bit of it, but again, it is nothing more than a vibe.

All in all I think you should sample first, as one always should, and perhaps even try some of the ones it is compared to, like HdP 1725 and Penhaligon's Sartorial.
    Personally I find it close to Sartorial, but spicier and not as smooth.
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post

All in all I think you should sample first, as one always should, and perhaps even try some of the ones it is compared to, like HdP 1725 and Penhaligon's Sartorial.
    Personally I find it close to Sartorial, but spicier and not as smooth.
    Great advice for a cologne in this price range.

Awesome. Thanks all day! I think its better to sample. You think I would have learned by now
    Last edited by Jowan; 8th October 2015 at 04:51 PM.

It's a deep woody fragrance, but it has plenty of style and smells uber classy.

What -- £230 blind buy? I wouldn't do it -- but maybe the gamble adds to the frisson?

Yes Sir. Roughly 250..I don't understand my own logic half the time. My impulse is usually to order if I'm over 50% convinced I will like it. I figure why wait almost 8 days for a sample in the mail when the whole bottle can arrive at my door step. I reached out on this one, I'm trying to do the right thing personally and financially. Thanks Again.

Be sure to sample Sartorial, as that one is probably the closest thing to IB, and it is also available at discounters nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    It's a deep woody fragrance, but it has plenty of style and smells uber classy.

What -- £230 blind buy? I wouldn't do it -- but maybe the gamble adds to the frisson?
    Does it really cost £230 in the UK!? I got it for 215€ at Essenza Nobile with free shipping, and also several generous samples, that is about £160
    “To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art.”

Absolutely, I will try that one as well. Good suggestion on Sartorial and Chypre Palatin. Looking forward to trying

Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Yes Sir. Roughly 250..I don't understand my own logic half the time. My impulse is usually to order if I'm over 50% convinced I will like it. I figure why wait almost 8 days for a sample in the mail when the whole bottle can arrive at my door step. I reached out on this one, I'm trying to do the right thing personally and financially. Thanks Again.
    I know what you mean -- sometimes you just 'fancy' it and are willing to take the risk -- think you are doing the right thing though. I wouldn't call IB an 'easy' fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Norstrøm View Post
    Does it really cost £230 in the UK!? I got it for 215€ at Essenza Nobile with free shipping, and also several generous samples, that is about £160
    I purchased mine in Fortnum and Mason in London over 18 months ago and it was £230 then! Ordinary bottle also - no bust. Bloody touristy shop though -- that doesn't help

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I purchased mine in Fortnum and Mason in London over 18 months ago and it was £230 then! Ordinary bottle also - no bust. Bloody touristy shop though -- that doesn't help
    Madness!

If you don't mind weaker projection and longevity, endymion by penhaligon's is in the same ballpark. Personally I find endymion more wearable and people seem to love it. The MDCI is a bit more dated I think (other people state the same). Nevertheless, IB is a beautiful composition, but a little to pricey in my eyes. I used to have a bottle but sold it. Now I have 400mls of endymion. I just use far more sprays to compensate the performance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    My niche and designer decant thread (Tom Ford, Xerjoff, Frapin, Creed, Christian Lacroix, Amouage etc): http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....4dbca18c386322

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

If you like Rive Gauche pour Homme, you'll like it.

However I prefer Rive Gauche pour Homme a bit more, and therefore personally wouldn't need this one as much. It's a good composition, but not better than Rive Gauche pour Homme IMO.

IMO you are much better off ordering the sample pack from MDCI. Just my opinion.

Basenotes Institution JiveHippo's Avatar

As others have said, its worth trying HdP 1725 and Pen's Sartorial as well. I prefer Sartorial of the bunch. Also, there usually splits running of IB, so there's that route also.

Def not a blind buy. It's smells like expensive shaving cream.

Thank ya'll

You can opt for HdP 1725 as it's a vey similar scent and cheaper.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Sartorial is good. Rive Gauche is excellent. My memory tells me 1725 is kind of weak, but I may be wrong.

I need to wear Rive Gauche more often...I never reach for it. Wife loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Sartorial is good. Rive Gauche is excellent. My memory tells me 1725 is kind of weak, but I may be wrong.

I need to wear Rive Gauche more often...I never reach for it. Wife loves it.
    1725 - my favorite of the bunch - is not really weak, but it has a very soft sillage, and on top of the soft scent it feels like it is whispering to you, rather than shouting or even just speaking at a normal level. I have rarely been seduced by a fragrance, like I was seduced by 1725. Casanova indeed!
    It urges you to come closer, making you want it more and more.
    I find that it has pretty good longevity, makes a nice scent bubble around you, but it is a bubble of whispers, and as time passes, you have to get closer and closer to catch it.
    I am certain that HdP could have made it loud and shouty, but I firmly believe, that they had a concept based on the legendary séducteur and followed it through.

As Giacomo Casanova himself said: "Be the flame, not the moth".

I salute you, sir.

That's quite a formidable blind buy and a superb fragrance. You will not be disappointed.

I was bowled over immediately by its quality, which was levels beyond anything I had tried at that point (and still puts most fragrances to shame).

Enjoy!
    Currently wearing: Epice Marine by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I salute you, sir.

That's quite a formidable blind buy and a superb fragrance. You will not be disappointed.

I was bowled over immediately by its quality, which was levels beyond anything I had tried at that point (and still puts most fragrances to shame).

Enjoy!
    I appreciate all the feedback.. I went ahead and got a sample, oh but trust me, I sent out this thread (I think second ever) because I seriously was about to be punching in the card # and receiving a beautifully sculpted bottle and not a sample. I decided to get some feedback, and now I feel better. I got the sample, but I am almost positive it will be FB worthy. Plus it just looks cool, and I got some excellent suggestions in the process from everyone. Speaking of Rive gauche, I love it, but often times, I don't wear it. I did at first but it has kind of been pushed back in the past year. Don't know why.

Basenotes Member sweet piglet of smoke's Avatar

Casanova is cheaper and smells better.

Sartorial is better than IB in my opinion, though IB is no slouch. Best to sample and compare, as others have said.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Sample.

And while you're at it, sample Sartorial and Histoires de Parfums 1725. Of the three, my favorite is 1725. I'm not saying it's better. I don't really believe in the idea of "better." Forget about better and, instead, try to figure out what you enjoy the most.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 8th October 2015 at 08:06 PM.
    Current Favorites:
    APOM
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Endymion
    Nio
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Bergamote Soleil
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Grey Vetiver
    Interlude Man
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Millesime Imperial
    Pomelo Paradis

Quote Originally Posted by sweet piglet of smoke View Post
    Casanova is cheaper and smells better.
    This is only half true.
    Currently wearing: Epice Marine by Hermès

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    This is only half true.
    I agree with this. Among the fragrances mentioned in the same breadth, I personally find Rive Gauche pour Homme and Invasion Barbare to be a cut above the others (with Rive Gauche pour Homme being my favourite).

Sartorial is good but stodgy at times, and could never understand the love for 1725.

Though I still need to revisit Sartorial.