Code of Conduct

Default Basenote A-Team on Creed Santals

Notable new assessments by Darvant on Creed Original Santal and Colin Maillard on Creed Santal Imperial.

I am always bewildered by people who cite Creeds as among the top sandlawoods since they are sandalwoods-in-name-only. It always seemed to me that, as is often the case with this house, that the Original Imperial Emperor has no clothes. Funny comments about the Creed's fanciful alternative to the Gregorian calendar too.

Default Re: Basenote A-Team on Creed Santals

Quote Originally Posted by dogma View Post
    I am always bewildered by people who cite Creeds as among the top houses
    Couldn't agree more.

Despite what these purport to have or don't have, still like them both and glad to have them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

CREED is always very comedic, with these names - "Royal / Original" etc etc, when there is neither anything royal (apart from the US retail prices $$$) nor original about them (except for a few rare cases - Green Irish Tweed for example IMO). They have a few good ones, not anything very bad, but too many average ones IMO.

In the words of another BN member - ''acute delusions of grandeur and too much marketing BS''.
    Looking to swap for Bois du Portugal (5-10 ml).
    Have Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Incense Oud, Tobacco Oud and others.

Kindly PM. USA Only. Thank you.

Check out my swap thread!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/399...97#post3635197

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I get more Sandalwood in Royal Oud than in Original Santal.

I don't care what a scent is named. I don't get much sandalwood in Original Santal, but I don't buy scents based on their names. I buy them based on smelling 'em enjoying the smell enough to want a bottle. So, Original Santal could be named Original Blueberries and I'd still think it's great. I don't get much rose in Rose 31, but I love it.. There's nothing extreme about Tom Ford Extreme, but it's one of my winter favorites. And I've never been to Morocco, so I have no idea if L'Air du Desert Marocain smells like Moroccan air. Don't know, don't care. It's awesome. I don't get hung up on whether a scent smells like its name.
    Sent from my brain using mental telepathy, except for the parts where my fingers typed on keys.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    +1.
    Looking to swap for Bois du Portugal (5-10 ml).
    Have Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Incense Oud, Tobacco Oud and others.

Kindly PM. USA Only. Thank you.

Check out my swap thread!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/399...97#post3635197

I really like OS. It just smells really nice in the dry down. And you can smell it on clothes for weeks after application.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

I don't care what a scent is named. I don't get much sandalwood in Original Santal, but I don't buy scents based on their names. I buy them based on smelling 'em enjoying the smell enough to want a bottle. So, Original Santal could be named Original Blueberries and I'd still think it's great. I don't get much rose in Rose 31, but I love it.. There's nothing extreme about Tom Ford Extreme, but it's one of my winter favorites. And I've never been to Morocco, so I have no idea if L'Air du Desert Marocain smells like Moroccan air. Don't know, don't care. It's awesome. I don't get hung up on whether a scent smells like its name.
    I should note that Darvant's and Colin's less than glowing remarks were not based on the names or lack of sandalwood. That was my observation and it wasn't that the fragrances were bad because the don't live up to the name. Rather, the point is that if they are not in fact sandalwood fragrances, I don't understand how people can cite them as the best sandalwood frangrances. I find that inexplicable.

Never tried Santal Imperial so far, but enjoyed Original Santal quite a bit

Santal Imperial was quite good, but not sure if its still available. Himalaya has more of a noticeable sandalwood dry down to me than Original Santal.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I find:
    Original Santal - Offensive
    Santal Imperial - OK but boring
    Bois de Santal - Really really great
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Is there an agreed upon "reference" sandalwood one can easily buy or sample?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by dogma View Post
    Notable new assessments by Darvant on Creed Original Santal and Colin Maillard on Creed Santal Imperial.

I am always bewildered by people who cite Creeds as among the top sandlawoods since they are sandalwoods-in-name-only. It always seemed to me that, as is often the case with this house, that the Original Imperial Emperor has no clothes. Funny comments about the Creed's fanciful alternative to the Gregorian calendar too.
    If you get caught up in names, marketing and the people running the company its pretty easy to get discouraged and end up hating the whole house. If you remove those elements from your consideration and simply judge the scents for what they are I find many of them are quite enjoyable. I realize the company makes it easy to have expectations but we the consumer are the ones who place those expectations on the product. But honestly If I paid any mind to most of the names and marketing of fragrance in general I would find it hard to like most of anything in this hobby.
    If you are one of those people who insist on paying full retail......Please check out my for sale thread.

I like both Santal Imperial and Original Santal, but agree that neither is particularly heavy on the sandalwood I recall from years ago, when it was plentiful, inexpensive, and tragically over-harvested.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    Is there an agreed upon "reference" sandalwood one can easily buy or sample?
    In my view, Extract of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn, which is discontinued. Since true sandalwood is restricted, it is almost impossible to find good modern versions, but L'Arbe by Iunx is a rare one. For a non-Mysore modern sandalwood, Santal Noble by MPG is likely the best reference.
    Last edited by schnozz; 21st October 2015 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    If you get caught up in names, marketing and the people running the company its pretty easy to get discouraged and end up hating the whole house. If you remove those elements from your consideration and simply judge the scents for what they are I find many of them are quite enjoyable. I realize the company makes it easy to have expectations but we the consumer are the ones who place those expectations on the product. But honestly If I paid any mind to most of the names and marketing of fragrance in general I would find it hard to like most of anything in this hobby.
    This.

Great assessment.
    I buy fragrances that match my personality. I want to smell like I'll whisk you away with me on a weekend retreat, not bring you to a nightclub and buy you drinks.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    I think it would be very wrong to suggest, as this seems to, that the critical assessments by Darvant and Colin had anything to do with factors beyond an objective assessment of the juice they were sampling and found wanting.