Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default The Everyman's 2015 Guide to Uploading Fragrace Reviews on Youtube

DISCLAIMER: It's all in good fun, folks. But I stand by my points.

1. Use beginner level graphics as a title for your series. Believe you're actually a professional now because you have the cheapest of logos that's really just a badly used font spelling the name of your channel.

Example:

2. Start the video with a boisterous, upbeat, "you-just-caught-me-in-the-middle-of-the-conversation" cadence with a generic question or idea because you think we as viewers feel like we relate to the guy talking to us like we're old friends. Especially awkward if this is your first video upload.

Example:

3. Flail your arms wildly while you rock back and forth.

Example (LOL):

4. Read us the ad copy verbatim, who the perfumer is, then read off the notes from Fragrantica. Pretend you're smart for doing so.

Example:

5. Pause the camera, step sideways two steps, press record for a sentence or two. Repeat the process, stepping front to back, then back to front, then side to side while you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around. Then edit said clips to hide the fact that you've just literally stepped back (or forwards) for a paragraph as if you're some kind of professional Youtube visionary for doing do. Because, you know, everyone is copying everyone these days and that's what everyone has been doing the past 4 years. (I'd love to see the "cutting room floor" footage of the stumbling back and forth parts.)

Example:

6. Give us your thoughts on the shape of the bottle. Seriously. Rating a bottle design. Some people actually still do this.

Example:

7. If you're up to it, harass people in the middle of their busy day to give you their 2 minute impressions on the top notes of a just-sprayed fragrance. Pretend like they give a damn. Newsflash: Many people don't wear fragrances, so smelling one randomly is of course a nice surprise and thus the positive feedback. Doesn't necessarily mean they want to smell it day in and day out.

Example:

And that, ladies and gentleman, was the newest member of the game .... Fragboy Stewie! Ooops, I meant Jeremy Fragrance. No wait, that's not right either. He just thinks he is. Seriously, where did all the originality go? Who the hell is this guy? And why's he reviewing one of the most generic fragrances ever made?
    Last edited by Stache; 29th October 2015 at 03:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Everyman's 2015 Guide to Uploading Fragrace Reviews on Youtube

outside of frag bros, I've never checked for any of these guys you posted. You have too much time on your hands.
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Byredo Bal d'Afrique
    3. Aventus
    4. Ambre Nuit
    5. Portrait of A Lady
    5t. Xerjoff Uden

I personally don't quite understand the entire "youtube fragrance community." I can read 20 different written reviews in 10 minutes, most of which give me more substance than sitting through a single 10min youtube video...

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    I personally don't quite understand the entire "youtube fragrance community." I can read 20 different written reviews in 10 minutes, most of which give me more substance than sitting through a single 10min youtube video...
    But you don't get to see what the box looks like and how the sprayer works.

Sound Scents

Just do as I do, don't watch any of them. Problem solved.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Moral of the story: Some reviewers are good, some aren't.

They get tedious very quickly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

'Daver' from Fragrance Bros. is all right. He might not be an expert, but at least he has a passion for the subject that comes through. The videos by himself just aren't as much fun as they were with Jerry, hence all the camera angles and edits, "to keep things interesting" rather than static. Didn't really work in the video above, did it.

Works better in this one.

Last edited by Scarce; 29th October 2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post
    You have too much time on your hands.
    Lol, true.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Niche, vintage & discontinued stuff - Creed Royal English Leather in!> Sale thread & Swap thread

Here we ago again folks with threads like this...lol..

Excellent thread! /s

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    But you don't get to see what the box looks like and how the sprayer works.

Bunch of haters in here i swear.