Code of Conduct

Default Custom Sample Pack 'Experiment'

After viewing Twisted Lilly's interesting and extensive inventory online, I thought I'd request a blind Custom Sample Pack (5) with the following conditions:

1. VERY dry; not powdery (dusty okay)
    2. Not big on vanilla nor cinnamon
    3. Flowers and fruits kept to a minimum (not the focus)
    4. Not macho cologne-y heavy
    5. Herbal or spicy or smokey or medicinal: all okay. Stark and/or unusual is good!
    6. Not too strong; close to skin fine
    7. Already a fan of: Turtle Back, Gentiane Blanche, Pure Oud By Killian, Bois D'Ascese, Black Rosette, Aalacho, Angéliques Sous La Pluie, Monacle Hinoki, Oud Cuir D'Arabie, Greyland, Hindu Grass, MiN Moon Dust, Arso, Corsica Furiosa, Songe d'Un Bois d’Ete, Odin 02, Malle Bigarade Concentree, Acqua di Sale.
    8. NOT a big fan of Serge Lutens scents that I’ve tried - too heavy, sweet and cloying.

It's all very subjective, of course, and I'm aware that some favorites scents listed perhaps fall outside my rigid restrictions/requests. That said, I'm very curious about what they will end up sending - will report back. Twisted Lily obviously has some good noses onboard. Have just ordered a sample of Nishane Istanbul Afrika Olifant Extrait de Parfum from from Surrender to Chance. Very curious about that one too.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Custom Sample Pack 'Experiment'

Quote Originally Posted by Simonxyzz View Post
    I'm very curious about what they will end up sending - will report back.
    I'd be interested in knowing how close they came to your criteria.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

hmmm let us know what they filtered out according to your criteria

Thought it might be interesting. I was thinking Twisted Lily had a branch in San Francisco as well, when it is Tigerlily up there. Mixing the lilies. Any experience with either 'Lily', hednic?

Sure Hitman, will do. I know I had a LOT of restrictions, but always interested to see what's left after the smoke clears. It's all very subjective, so essentially there are no rights or wrongs in this (though expecting a few personal hits and misses along the way).

THE RESULTS:
    (what Twisted Lily sent in response to my 'conditions')
    Appreciated their patience and careful selection. TL was very nice to deal with and I would order from them again.
    Definitely opened my eyes (and nose) to new olfactory experiences in the DRY (and unusual) area, which I requested.

Etat Libre D’orage - Viergeset Torero
    Tuberose and skin-like (I like Tuberose a lot as a cut flower, but not quite my thing to wear maybe. Nice to smell, just the same). Leather becomes more pronounced in time. Easily for men or women. Sophiticated and classy in its ‘differentness'. Wearable as time goes on. Growing on me - very close on skin, maybe disappearing too quickly.

Nishane Istambul - Musiqa Oud
    Generic heavy oud, leather and slightly flora-powdery. Very specific. A little intense - only lightly applied for cooler climates - not for the workplace. Same problem with several Montale Ouds - headache inducing. Generally, on the fence about most ouds. Still personally prefer Pure Oud by Kilian the best.

Masque Milano - Montecristo
    Cumin, tobacco/cigar and rum? Odd for this nose to be sure. Very dry...actually foul. Don’t like it at all. Quite over the top!

Nishane Istambul - Monegu
    A litttle pine-y, flowery powdery-softness. Dressy but a little boring maybe.

Unum - Lavs
    Piney, smokey, but slightly soapy too. Metalllic. Incense later. Nice. Fairly linear. Might like it better as the room spray. Good for winter in a cooler climate. A more deconstructed and minimal incense-driven scent. This one has grown on me.

Ex-Idolo thirty-three
    A bit of Sen-Sen candy in it’s soapiness, slightly anise, pine incense. Slightly lemon-y. Slightly sweet. An odd old-fashioned men’s hair pomade? Menthol-rose. Similar to Black Rosette, minus the leather. Smooth - well blended. Not usually a fan of oud and rose. Starting to remind me of a fairly cheap (and strong) middle-eastern incense I burn. Becomes too sweet. Calming down but has a slight note of stale beer.

Tauer - Lonestar Memories
    Something bleach-like at first. I know people love it. Vanilla not my favorite.Too sweet. Slight moth-ball quality. I get the bubble gum thing, too. Remember getting that note from one of Gaultier’s colognes too.

Nasomatto Absinthe
    Medicinal - slightly cherry cough medicine at first. interesting. Not sure if I’d wear it. Might grow on me, - probably too powdery. A dry grassy bitter herb now going on. Interesting.
    Last edited by Simonxyzz; 8th November 2015 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonxyzz View Post
    Nasomatto Absinthe
    Medicinal - slightly cherry cough medicine at first. interesting. Not sure if I’d wear it. Might grow on me, - probably too powdery. A dry grassy bitter herb now going on. Interesting.
    Thanks for your words and observation sharing.

I had almost the same feelings when I smelt "Absinthe" for the first time. it is something herbal for me but complex and variable.

The experiment was definitely interesting for me, since my work schedule is too tight to make room for a pitstop at Scent Bar right now. Also like to be taken out of my comfort zone sometimes and see where it leads. Returned to Unum Lavs (my favorite) and found that his liturgical path had lead me down to "Passage D'Enfer"'s floral notes on the dry down (ha). Not sure if I want to spring for the 100ml size though. Might opt for the room spray for home. My workplace can be very militant in their approach to fragrances, any and all, unless very discreet. Since I make fragrances sometime, I considered this project my homework. Thanks for checking back in.