Code of Conduct

Default Edible perfume. Using aromatic fruits in food. Not really perfume but related.

How I love this time of year. All the fruits are cropping and all the berries are plentiful. The quinces are dropping and are one of the most beautiful and aromatic fruits we have here in the UK. I've been peeling them by the dozen and making quince jellies and quince paste for cheese. Plus harvesting many pounds of blackberries, rose hips, sloes and bullaces.

Just felt like sharing some pics of this blessed harvest. I shall look up the aromatic compositions later when I'm not so busy making.

Last edited by mumsy; 1st November 2015 at 08:16 PM.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Default Re: Edible perfume. Using aromatic fruits in food. Not really perfume but related.

Gorgeous! Quinces aren't quite as common here, but one can find some at farmers markets. They have a nice floral perfume. I don't think I'll do much this year, but in the past I've made quince candies too.

cacio

Default Re: Edible perfume. Using aromatic fruits in food. Not really perfume but related.

Those quinces are soo perfect! I love them, Here in the Caribbean they don't have it, but in Argentina we have a very traditional pie recipe with Quinces, I will ask my mom and send it to you. All your fruits look so beautiful congratulations.

Mostly scrumped (with permission from the farmer). He says I can take as much as I like if I'm returning some of his stolen property afterwards. The quinces are from a tree I bought about five years ago and it is laden this year.

The syrups are the prettiest when processed. Like jewels.

The rest are for jams, jellies and wines mostly. My friend and I (plus two dogs) picked over 17 lbs of bullaces yesterday.

The rosehips are so pretty too. This is for traditional rosehip syrup to ward off the winter colds and coughs. A teaspoon a day in the winter for their vitamin C.

Just returned from the end of the garden. Eight more quinces on the ground, a bucketful of apples that the slugs were making good headway on many, and just the one lonely medlar this year. I wonder how to honour it best.

Last edited by mumsy; 2nd November 2015 at 08:47 AM.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

My Tincture list

Truly lovely, your kitchen might smell beautifully.

As promised. Some volatile analysis of various fruits. A subject that is very interesting to me at the moment as I am making a fruity perfume for a client. I'm finding it quite a challenge to get it smelling grown up enough.

A quince analysis here.

Half of another… the googled sample book didn't show the next page.

A blackberry analysis here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mumsy; 2nd November 2015 at 02:56 PM.

My Tincture list

Another brew. This time a Quince and Rosemary syrup. The weird thing is that the quince tasted strangely similar to pears once the rosemary was added. I'd never noticed a rosemary note in pear before. I shall have to buy some pears now and smell them next to it.

There is very little difference between perfumery and cooking.

My Tincture list

I would never imagine to use that combination, seems delicious, please keep posting

Better names will be gratefully accepted.

Quickle or perhaps Qutney = Quince chutney/pickle

Rosalemonapplade = lemon, rosemary and wilding marmalade

Drivers drinks

Quinrose or Maryquin = quince and rosemary
    Blackquin = quince and blackberry
    Slowquin = quince and sloe

The others are and will be jammy things

Quinslapple = quince paste, sloe and wilding (apples)

My quince paste membrillo flatly refuses to set so I'll not bother with it. Everyone else to whom I've given quinces, return with perfectly set membrillo but mine refuses to set again and again. Hence the chutney making instead. There are some things that one is just not good at. Obviously this membrillo thing is mine....

My Tincture list

That drivers drinks looks amazing, it looks like a Good witch Potion, love it

The latest tree shake yielded these, plus a Newton moment straight onto the middle of the bonce. Ouch.

Next ideas for the drivers drinks are quince and black peppers, then a quince and ginger, maybe a Rosemary and quince made into a jelly. Son no 1 suggested cinnamon to be Christmassy. I can't imagine that will work but will try it in a small batch first. Nutmeg would work though.

Nothing gets wasted. The peels and cores go into one pan and get cooked for the liquid. The insides get cooked separately and then the juice gets used in with the peel juice, the cubes go into the chutneys, jams, membrillo paste, or maybe the next attempt will be to preserve some whole slices in a syrup. Marvellous fruits for their fruitfulness as well as the special aroma. I haven't even used all those in the pan up yet let alone get to these before the slugs do. It may be time to just give some away....

... And just to keep this on the topic of perfume and not just a gardeners world forum....

The first draft of a resulting fruity perfume....

Last edited by mumsy; 8th November 2015 at 11:48 AM.

My Tincture list

Quinces all done....and onto the next fruit.. The medlar. Here is the latest garden gift from a neighbour and the aromatic analysis.

My Tincture list

Really wonderful,

This is either perfume or jam or both. Depends how you look at it.

Quinces cooked in rosewater with rose hips and lemon.

My Tincture list

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    This is either perfume or jam or both. Depends how you look at it.

Quinces cooked in rosewater with rose hips and lemon.

That seems so fantastic, do you sale those?

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanisland View Post
    That seems so fantastic, do you sale those?
    I mainly make them as lovely gifts, although this year I did do a small craft stall and I took a few this morning to my art class and they bought some. Mainly just to cover the expense of the jam jars and the sugar so that I can make some more. There is so much fruit to be gathered at this time of the year.

I just love their aromas and the clear jellies are like transformed jewels... I want to make some perfumes that smell like these jellies.

My Tincture list

Late last night.... my first true edible perfume. Made from the medlars and a bit clumsy but I didn't have a proper mould.

Quiddany - an early form of aromatic fruit paste mixed with rosewater and spices, dried and served after a rich meal to quieten the digestion...

Edit on Friday.... And some more drying thisevening with the rest (of the first batch only).

Last edited by mumsy; 20th November 2015 at 10:16 PM.

My Tincture list

I'm doing this next..... Musk sugar. Can you imagine? Sexy cakes....

I already keep sugars with lavender, lemon, cinnamon, cassia and vanilla (separately) for baking with.

Perhaps not with civet though eh?

Here is the lavender sugar. This has been in there for at least a year. I just top it up after each use. It stays fragrant and is wonderful in shortbread.

Last edited by mumsy; 21st November 2015 at 04:43 PM.

My Tincture list

These are all BEAUTIFUL!

It is so inspiring and refreshing to actually retreat a little from these now mostly synthetic creatures that call themselves perfumes and just smell what you have around you. I find it a constant source of personal inspiration to just smell the world we live in. From a small child I have always noticed and felt an affinity with all aromas, right from the centre of a beautiful rose through to that particular smell of rain on a previously dry concrete pavement. The smell of the first cut grass on a sunny day. It is a particular lifelong mission of mine to steal these from mother nature. She doesn't seem to mind mostly but will not always relinquish her grip on all...

Of course it was always going to lead me to here eventually. My house is just full of such fiddles and messes in the form of jams, jellies, chutneys, syrups, country wines, cakes, sugars, ordinary cooking, then after children, veering to aromatherapy perfume tinctures, perfumes, bath oils, bath bubbles, candles, lip balms....etc, etc, etc. I have done many of these things since I was old enough to put petals in a jam jar. I used to stir the dirt and the flower petals into puddings as a tiny child and dry them in the sunshine. I just have never stopped.....

Last year it was the roses and other flowers that captured the attention. I think I already posted these but they are relevant here.

There is of course the eternal quest for that ever evasive lilac….

Here is one everybody can do for Christmas for a festive smelling house. Cut an orange around the middle through the skin and pith. Release the flesh from the long core by sliding your fingers or a knife down the sides. Try and remove the flesh leaving the centre of the core intact. Then fill the orange skin with vegetable oil and light the core as a wick. Your house will soon be filled with the most marvellous smell of orange. Use as smell free a vegetable oil as you have. I suppose one could infuse the oil in cinnamon from now, for a really Christmassy feel.

Do not leave these unattended and better still, float them in a bowl of water for safety. It will eventually dry out and burn the orange skin otherwise. We don't want any house fires caused by my suggestions.

Tangerines, nectarines and mandarines are easier to separate than oranges but are not as sturdy.
    Last edited by mumsy; 31st January 2017 at 12:54 PM.

My Tincture list

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I'm doing this next..... Musk sugar. Can you imagine? Sexy cakes....

I already keep sugars with lavender, lemon, cinnamon, cassia and vanilla (separately) for baking with.

Perhaps not with civet though eh?
    Which musk(s) will you use, Mumsy?
    I've actually been thinking a lot about musk as a flavouring recently. In Australia, musk sweets are (or at least were) very popular and every now and again I run across a perfume that is strongly redolent of them. I've seen bottles of musk additive being sold for cooking purposes, but I've no idea what it contains. Does anyone know? It's definitely of the clean, laundry musk type rather than the animalic.

I remember many years ago tasting some musk flavoured chewing gum. It was from China, and all I could taste was Musk Ambrette. It was utterly vile.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Which musk(s) will you use, Mumsy?
    I've actually been thinking a lot about musk as a flavouring recently. In Australia, musk sweets are (or at least were) very popular and every now and again I run across a perfume that is strongly redolent of them. I've seen bottles of musk additive being sold for cooking purposes, but I've no idea what it contains. Does anyone know? It's definitely of the clean, laundry musk type rather than the animalic.
    I was gifted some real musk that the owner knew exactly who and where it came from and it is ethically and properly procured. I would only consider using that sort of ethical musk for personal interest. I hadn't considered using artificial musks but I would be open to trying any that were edible as a comparison.

Of course there is also ambergris that is used in teapots and on scrambled eggs so that may well have an interesting effect just left in sugar. I have eaten it before when I was grinding up loaf sugar to make an authentic tincture. It is strangely delicious of course, but one remains aware that one is actually eating whale coprolite..... Not sure what I think of that curious fact aside from inside the ever curious pursuit that is perfumery. I probably just won't think about it too hard or at all.

Here is a formula for a rose damask face powder using musk and civet. Must have been pretty pungent... Blimey.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I remember many years ago tasting some musk flavoured chewing gum. It was from China, and all I could taste was Musk Ambrette. It was utterly vile.
    Now of course I shall be compelled to search for this strange gum.

An immediate search reveals some wonderous things.... This one is a little worrying when it clearly states 'no artificial flavours' ..... Oooer Brian

And strangely enough, there are many.....

Last edited by mumsy; 22nd November 2015 at 05:39 PM.

My Tincture list

If the musk sweets say they are natural, then they must come from a plant because there is no way they would be the 'other'...

The Australian musk plant is this:-

The other two musk plants are these:-

Last edited by mumsy; 22nd November 2015 at 06:00 PM.

My Tincture list

^ Yes, Mumsy - those Musk Sticks are the stuff of my childhood! They're rosy-floral with a pronounced, clean muskiness. Czech&Speake's No.88 partly recalls them (as others on here have noted in the past), as does Chris Bartlett's Pretty in Pink. I'd be very interested to hear how your sugar turns out. Please keep us posted.

David - Musk ambrette gum? Eek.