Code of Conduct

Default Any recommendations on my first candle?

I am obviously very into my fragrances and want a candle to scent my room with, I am looking at Diptyque candles mainly, looking for something warm, spicy/woody.

Opopanax sounds nice so far.
    AWAY for a month! sorry.

Default Re: Any recommendations on my first candle?

Quote Originally Posted by Sillagevity View Post

Opopanax sounds nice so far.
    It is very nice. John Galliano is also very nice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It is very nice. John Galliano is also very nice.
    Is it worth buying the room spray of the same scent and using them both? or would I only need the candle?

I like the fact they give you two samples when you make a purchase too.
    AWAY for a month! sorry.

Is it worth buying the room spray of the same scent and using them both? or would I only need the candle?
    I would think the candle should be sufficient unless you want a stronger effect and the room in question is not that large.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Diptyque sounds interesting. Yesterday I sniffed the new Oud candle from Diptyque and it was really nice.

I have had a bad experience with candles regarding performance, they don't diffuse as much scent as I would like it to be, but maybe I need to try better ones.
    Currently wearing: Santal 33 by Le Labo

Diptyque is perhaps my favorite brand for candles too. They do perform well, you won't need to add room sprays or the like. And they last a long time. They are expensive, but they are good.

For warm-spicy-woody there's Feu du bois (wood fire, as per name), the said Galliano (leathery) or smoother, Benjoin and Ambre. There's also the christmas collection, which changes every year. this year, my favorite is Oliban (the other two are sapin and liquidambar)

cacio

Candles I've found excellent are Cire Trudon. Ernesto is a good one. The other is Jonathan Ward Mombassa fits your description.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

They are expensive, but you should check out the Frederic Malle candles. I think you would like Russian Nights. Its has creamy sandalwood and cardamom. It's absolutely fantastic for cool fall and winter evenings, without smelling too Christmasy. I also supplement it with the perfume gun, which is very strong.

Great fan of Diptyque candles, here.
    Besides cacio's suggestions, I'd add Myrrhe- my favourite ever, warm, resinous, balsamic- and Pomander- spicy and ambery.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Just ordered a mini candle, ordered Feu de Bois, just want to test it out, may buy more when needed, also got two complimentary samples, should be good.
    AWAY for a month! sorry.

Hey again, is it just me or is Feu de Bois not very strong? only bought a mini candle to try it out but can barely smell it, even if it's been lit for a while, I am looking at getting a bigger candle next, want something spicy/woody with good 'throw'
    AWAY for a month! sorry.

Hey again, is it just me or is Feu de Bois not very strong? only bought a mini candle to try it out but can barely smell it, even if it's been lit for a while, I am looking at getting a bigger candle next, want something spicy/woody with good 'throw'
    You'll most likely get the desired effect with the larger candle.

As for perfumes, there is always some olfactory fatigue going on. If you stay away and then enter the room, do you smell it well enough?
    You do not want anything too overpowering as a room fragrance.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As for perfumes, there is always some olfactory fatigue going on. If you stay away and then enter the room, do you smell it well enough?

cacio
    Spot on. Great suggestions. Although I haven't tried it, my next candle will be Diptyque Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    I thought of this and the first time I lit it I put it in a different room for an hour, still couldn't smell it... now and then I can JUST smell it, but even my dad couldn't smell it, only when it was new and you buried your nose in it you could smell it, but there was a review with a similar problem to mine, maybe it's been reformulated?
    AWAY for a month! sorry.

So I've been looking into candles more lately, and I found two promising brands. Black&Metal and Fury Bros Candles. They can both be found, along with an astounding multitude of other brands and scents (seriously, I got lost on the site for hours and didn't realize it) at http://www.candledelirium.com/
    Last edited by krooze; 19th November 2015 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Punctuation

That's a pretty extensive list of offerings!

Just wanted to +1 the Dyotique Oud candle. I lit it for the first time, and an hour later bought two more.

Fan of Yankee Candles. Find some great deals at the outlet stores, and variety is impressive. Suggest get your nose on a few...don't think you'll be disappointed.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin