Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Armaf perfumes (shades wood, shades & evoke)

After hearing of how good some items in the Armaf line are supposed to be by some youtube reviewers, I thought I would try them out for myself.

I ordered Shades, Shades wood and Evoke. I have worn them multiple times over the past two weeks showed them to my family members some of my friends of whom some are into fragrances and some not, I did not tell them what the fragrance was or how much it cost, although they would be assuming that it would be something medium to very high end as that would usually be the kind of thing I usually purchase.

So far the opinions are :
    Shades wood : a consensus that it is horrible, that it smells highly synthetic and it when some sniffed it they have had a gag reflex. From wearing it I have noticed that it unfortunately has fantastic projection which has led to me to the realisation I should upgrade my soap (using molton brown).

Shades : I agree it indeed has similarities to Creed's masterpiece of millesime imperial, in that if Creed wished to make a cheap harsh alternative, the goal has been achieved. To others whom I presented it to they did not find it offensive although they all thought it smelt synthetic and 'cheap' (not sure how to define smelling cheap but that is the reaction I got from others).

Evoke : is nothing offensive, it has light silage and medium longevity. Nobody whom smelt it had anything good or bad to say about it. It appears to be an insignificant fragrance, there are certainly plenty of other options at this price range.

So for the money I spent I could have bought myself a nice TF private blend or several lovely inexpensive perfumes.

I implore you to not make the same mistake as myself i.e. please try before you buy.

I have ordered club de nuit and a couple of others that are supposed to be nice to smell for the purposes of giving my feedback on the forum (there do not appear to be many reivews of it about) and to remove any temptation left in me to be led to purchase anything on a random reviewers opinion ever again or hopefully get lucky that they manage to produce one decent fragrance that I can recommend to others. I shall test them again on friends and family and try them on for a couple of weeks when they arrive.

So far I have not gone wrong with opinions of members of this forum whom have suggested lovely fragrance options to myself and called out poor ones. From the suggestions even if they scent is not to my personal taste I can certainly appreciate why another would like them, for example I could not initially understand the appeal of TF oud wood and I still find I prefer many other things but I can now see the appeal for others, and when I go fragrance testing at the shops I have learnt to appreciate why others would like fragrances which do not appeal to me.

However for the Armaf fragrances I have test and the others whom smelt them, we cannot smell what the appeal would be to anyone.

This link is what I should have stuck to for advice on the Armaf lineup : http://www.basenotes.net/threads/405...e-d-Hermes-etc
    Last edited by kazino21; 22nd November 2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: adding link to another thread on Armaf

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Thoughts on Armaf perfumes (shades wood, shades & evoke)

Don't recall trying any of these and in no rush to see what they're about.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I was hoping yourself and other experienced amongst the forum would have to hear the definitive opinion on them. Hopefully there will be others who have and can give fair warning to others whom may fall into the trap of buying this c**p

I've seen the reviews for Armaf fragrances, and several of them sound interesting. I actually did buy one of them, Derby Club House Ascot. The notes listed are "Derby Club House Ascot by Armaf is a Oriental Woody fragrance for men. Top notes are green notes, lemon and bergamot; middle notes are sage, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon; base notes are cedar, oakmoss, tobacco, amber, labdanum and musk." -from another website. The list sounded just right for me and I can smell most of these notes, pretty strong, maybe not very well blended. But does smell pretty good, I can see wearing it a few times during the winter to experiment. I am not recommending it, and have not tried any of their other offerings, but I've seen this for somewhere between 30 and 60+ dollars for 100ml bottle I believe, at the lower end they may be worth a try.
    Currently wearing: Carven Homme by Carven

Basenotes Junkie

The only one from this line that I've purchased is the dupe of Aventus called Club de Nuit Intense Man. I can say for the modest price, I was actually very pleased. I certainly did not feel taken at all. Not a fan of the uber heavy blinged out bottle but the fragrance is solid - more linear than the original but IMO, still very nice.

I have those two coming, hopefully they are better than the current crop

I just tried Shades Wood. I got a powerful "clean" or "new"' leather at first, along with a less powerful sweet/floral/spice element that was rather blended together. Then I could hardly smell anything. After a couple hours I did smell it again with some clarity and I liked it at this point. I got a bit of an oud noted blended into the rest, and it smoothed out. Definitely worth the $18+ total it's selling for on ebay now, if you like this sort of scent. If you hated Jovan's Intense Oud, then this is probably not for you, though SW is smoother in the drydown. Not "mainstream," but great for "super cheapo" niche!

I have a number of ARMAF fragrances and they run the gamut from bad to good. I bought Evoke believing it to be clone of Clive Christian C which it is not. I certainly am not very excited about it. Ascot is interesting and a decent winter offering. The best ones I've purchase are Craze a 95%+ clone of PDM Pegasus and La Futura a very good representation of a cross of Dior Homme and Valentino Uomo. Definitely review on YouTube and as always, take every recommendation with a grain of salt!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    I've seen the reviews for Armaf fragrances, and several of them sound interesting. I actually did buy one of them, Derby Club House Ascot. The notes listed are "Derby Club House Ascot by Armaf is a Oriental Woody fragrance for men. Top notes are green notes, lemon and bergamot; middle notes are sage, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon; base notes are cedar, oakmoss, tobacco, amber, labdanum and musk." -from another website. The list sounded just right for me and I can smell most of these notes, pretty strong, maybe not very well blended. But does smell pretty good, I can see wearing it a few times during the winter to experiment. I am not recommending it, and have not tried any of their other offerings, but I've seen this for somewhere between 30 and 60+ dollars for 100ml bottle I believe, at the lower end they may be worth a try.
    i have ascot and its ok but not that strong. I would go with franck oliver oud touch over it anyday

Banned

looking at hunter intense and futura as well. Hunter intense gets alot of hype. Ventanna does too. Then there is shades blue/blue voyage which are supposed to be bdc clones.

futura intense looks interesting too. I have nuit man intense and woman intense and like both alot. Also have hunter which is a nice freshie and tres nuit which is decent,

on my radar is futura/futura intense/ ventanna/hunter intense/