Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Help me pick: 2009 Green Irish Tweed or 2013 Millesime Imperial

These are both in stock at a retailer near me: Green Irish Tweed batch 09X02 and Millesime Imperial 13T01. There's also an 08E01 batch of Himalaya, but that's never been my cup of tea.

From what I've read, the 13T01 batch of MI is a potent watermelon bomb with epic lasting power. I can't find much on the 09X02 batch of GIT, but my hope is that it isn't too similar to what's out there nowadays — a bombastic green sport scent of sorts that really just comes off like really high-end soap. I'm hoping the older batch will have a nicer drydown as well, of which I've read rave reviews on.

So basically I'm looking for a versatile, everyday-if-need-be scent to break up my darker rotation of woody vanillas and malty frags. I'm in Texas, as well, for what that's worth weather-wise.

Which would you choose? I'd be paying full-retail for these but I think it's worth it if I pick right.

Default Re: Help me pick: 2009 Green Irish Tweed or 2013 Millesime Imperial

GIT if you want versatility. I wouldn't wear MI everyday, but that's just me.

Hmm...that's a tough one, but I agree that GIT would be more versatile and would give you more bang for your buck.
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Tiffany for Men Cologne Concentree, Odori Tabacco, TDC de Bachmakov, Creed Neroli Sauvage, Atelier Cologne Pomelo Paradis & Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris fragrances, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...r-TDC-Samples!

Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven & Prelude to Love, Tiffany for Men Cologne Concentree, Odori Tabacco, TDC de Bachmakov, Creed Neroli Sauvage, Tom Ford Noir de Noir, Atelier Cologne Pomelo Paradis & Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris fragrances, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Quote Originally Posted by sic1337 View Post
    GIT if you want versatility. I wouldn't wear MI everyday, but that's just me.

This. GIT is more versatile. No way to smell before you purchase?

I would go with Green Irish Tweed.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Green Irish Tweed over Millesime Imperial.

Year / batch / any other BS doesn't matter.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Green Irish Tweed over Millesime Imperial.

Year / batch / any other BS doesn't matter.
    Aint that the truth!
    Current top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle The Night
    2. Roja Dove Sultanate of Oman
    . Parfums de Marly Oajan

4. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    5. MFK Baccarat Rouge 540

I agree with the other posters in regard that Green Irish Tweed is probably the more versatile choice of the two.. I think of it as suitable all year round and maybe slightly more "manly" smelling, in my experience anyways. However, personally I do much prefer Millesime Imperial. Truly beautiful fragrance and if, like you say, the 13T01 batch has great lasting power, well it would be my choice.. If you do like GIT I'm sure you would be happy with either. If I was paying full retail personally I'd go for the MI. Super nice fragrance for the Spring/Summer months too. Just my two cents.

Green Irish Tweed, almost irrespective of the batch/release year/vintage

Ive just picked up my first Green Irish Tweed and found out its the universally derided 14A01 batch that had people tearing at their chests and wailing to the fragrance gods to take mercy on their plight.

To me its clean, fresh, green and bright with admirable staying power and projection. I get about 8 hours out of it with the first couple projecting loud and then arms length.

How are the "best" batches of this fragrance in comparison as this one is in itself quite excellent.

Dependent

I would take GIT over Millesime imperial. I like MI but not on me. But I like smelling it on others. And though I like the greener variations of GIT I would probably still take any batch of it over any batch of MI. But its really hard to say what you would like best.

I have the batch of MI you're talking about (LT3313t01). It's a good one for sure. Depends what scent you like better though. I prefer GIT, it's much more versatile and can be used in any occasion. MI shines in the summer months.

Banned

Thanks, guys. I'm really on the fence here. The store won't spray to let me sample, and I don't think they have a return policy (maybe just credit, if even that).

Maybe I should just buy a bottle of Sauvage and call it a day, get my freshie fix that way. I dunno...

Git

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'm really on the fence here. The store won't spray to let me sample, and I don't think they have a return policy (maybe just credit, if even that).

Maybe I should just buy a bottle of Sauvage and call it a day, get my freshie fix that way. I dunno...
    Sauvage is an excellent fresh scent. It's your money my friend....all 3 are great fragrances but the creeds are expensive.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

I'd go with the GIT from any year of the two although I own and love both.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Any batch of MI over any batch of GIT. I'm the wrong person to comment really though as I'm one of the few on here that didn't really like GIT. Maybe one day it'll click with me but it hasn't yet

MI is the best scent but git is more versatile

GIT. but I don't like MI, at all.
    "If consequences dictate a course of action, than it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught." MJK.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

I own the Q13 version of MI. It smells wonderful and is a performance champ. 2 sprays, 10+ hours, with such good projection that if it were any bigger it would be too much for my taste. It's outstanding.
    Current Favorites:
    Petit Matin
    Oud Wood
    Endymion
    Dior Homme
    Grey Vetiver
    Fahrenheit
    Royal Oud
    Interlude Man
    Hanae Mori HM
    Pomelo Paradis
    Original Vetiver
    Reflection Man
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    John Varvatos Vintage
    Gucci Pour Homme II

Git.. you can always swap it for millesime imperial later but i doubt you'll want to after you smell it & wear it a few times.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

I'll give you my 2015's I don't a sh*t about batches and go with: GIT is light-years ahead and better than the dreadful MI. No matter the occasion. Don't even think about that. Get GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeys View Post
    I'll give you my 2015's I don't a sh*t about batches and go with: GIT is light-years ahead and better than the dreadful MI. No matter the occasion. Don't even think about that. Get GIT.
    Liar MI wins anytime

Quote Originally Posted by VGuillaume View Post
    Liar MI wins anytime
    lol I must say I love seeing someone standing up for what he loves, likes or/and believes in Props to you there even if I know you're just "kidding" me which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeys View Post
    lol I must say I love seeing someone standing up for what he loves, likes or/and believes in Props to you there even if I know you're just "kidding" me which is great.
    Haha Millesime Imperial was the first niche fragrance I bought and it's one of the few that I really love so I just had to disagree

That being said green irish tweed is also a solid fragrance. I think everyone will like GIT but people will rarely love it, while some will dislike MI and some will love it. That's my opinion, own both.

Stache if you want pm me your mailing address & i'll send you a sample of my 2011 batch of git.
    I came here to talk fragrances & chew bubblegum.. and i'm all out of bubblegum.

I've thought this over.. It kinda got stuck in my head and prompted me to do a comparison.. Yesterday I wore Green Irish Tweed and today I'm wearing Millesime Imperial. On reconsideration after comparing the two and really thinking about it. I say go with the Green Irish Tweed, like so many others have said. Regardless of batch number I think for this scenario it will be your best choice.

Just my two scents...

See what I done there?

GIT, and I think any batch pre-2013 will have less of the sharp green notes (that some folks love), and perhaps more violet leaf and sandalwood.
    Currently wearing: Great Jones by Bond No. 9

My first bottle of GIT was a 2009 batch. Can't remember the exact batch code. It had huge, fill-the-room projection that lasted hours. Smelled amazing, too.

Banned

Welp, still on the fence, though leaning away from GIT... I gave it a day's testing (sprayed from a 2015 tester) and it really feels linear to me. Then it dries down to a thin version of itself on my skin. The greenness just puts me off. Now I know the older batches aren't as green, but I can't help but feel contaminated now. Not to mention, it just smells like cologny bologne. Yeah, it's done well and smells super fresh, but for my money (and MSRP prices) ... I want WOW! GIT isn't a wow for me, not even a headturner.

Going to give MI a full days wear, and expand my search into Tom Ford's blue bottle private blends.