Code of Conduct

Thread: Summing Up 2015

Basenotes Institution

Default Summing Up 2015

(Ms.K and other mods, if this or similar has been posted somewhere this year, please feel free to merge or delete me, OK?) Like always:

Best fragrance/Worst fragrance

Discoveries

People

I missed most of the year and would like to know what's going on in the fragrant world these days, if you would.
    Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

Blog Entries

Default Re: Summing Up 2015

The standout release for me this year has been Salome by Papillon; a must-try for anyone for who loves a bit of skank. lt's too filthy even for me, but notable for being so in this age of sweet, fruity scents.

l started a thread called "Let's Talk About Neil Morris" in which l explored several of his line, & lots of lovely folks contributed with their own thoughts. One of these, Phantom Rain, was a 2015 release. My favourite by far was Midnight Tryst, a wonderfully animalic floral-oriental.

l have untried samples of two other 2015 releases; Fleur de Portofino by Tom Ford & Montale's Orange Flowers. Others l meant to try but haven't got samples of yet were Collection Croisiere (spelling?) Paris Seychelles & Jangala, Lutens' La Religieuse & Black Orchid EDT.

There was a thread in the General forum entitled "Where have all the women gone?" which provoked some interesting discussion, & l think helped increase activity on the Female forum. Perfume of Life folded & several of the members from there were welcomed here, too.

Mods; please don't merge this thread as l think it's nice to have something like this in the Female forum. Thanks for posting it, Twolf!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The biggest discussion I was involved in during 2015 was about the new mainstream Dior release for men, coming on the heels of Fahrenheit (1988) and Dior Homme (2005), but Sauvage (2015) nearly broke my heart I was so disappointed. I wasn't going to talk about it again, but maybe posting here will bring a calming moment of closure.

I agree with teardrop the best release for me is Salome from Papillon, it's like all the best skanky perfumes got together and had an orgy, fabulous!

I'm still catching up on about 20 years worth of perfumes, however I found that Santal de Mysore from SL is a fantastic firey spice perfume, also Rahat Loukoum is yum personified. I am awaiting my bottle of Tawaf and want to sample more from La Via Del Profumo. I also discovered a Vetiver fragrance that I can actually get on with, which came about through joining in on Synchronised Friday, it is (probably no surprise here) Vetiver Oriental from SL.

This has been my first proper foray into BN, and I have to say, everyone is so friendly, wonderful, and generous, and I'm very happy to be here participating fully.

Thanks for having me!

edit to add
    I would like to spend 2016 enjoying the fragrances I already have, rather than going berserk, buying new things etc. I have a feeling that I won't be able to stop myself, however I shall try to limit myself to my tried and trusted houses that are already in my wardrobe
    Last edited by La Flâneuse; 10th December 2015 at 12:19 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you for your responses so far.

We have had similar threads in previous years, wonderful content, like this: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/371...umming+up+2014

I have been away from the US since the end of May so there have been several new releases I have not had the chance to sniff yet, but I have enjoyed the new Tauer releases and Dior Feve Delicieuse quite a bit. I was very disappointed in Dior Sauvage and Mugler Cuir Impertinent, which were awful on me. But all in all it's been a good perfume year for me as I have enjoyed my collection and added a few things.

Sauvage is a standout fragrance for 2015 -- what a beacon of light in a sea of dross -- thank you so much, Dior.

Seriously though, I am growing ever fonder of the Vilhelm Parfumerie range, created by ex Chanel model Jan Aigner. A new fragrance has just been added to the range 'Oud Affair' [ you have to have an oud]

As far as sampling goes, I don't tend to to actively seek out brand new releases. I'm more a sample-whatever-comes-my-way sniffer. When I place sample orders, I go for what sounds good or has been recommended without paying any attention to year of release. However, I did somehow manage to try lots of 2015 releases. Most were disappointments and not worth mentioning.

One I did find notable-the new Aqua Allegoria. Guerlain finally has a radiant green tea scent! And Teazzura is one of the most interesting and pleasant to wear in this category I've tried. In fact, I've enjoyed most of Wasser's AAs. I think he's been doing great things with this line.

I have to agree with the thoughts here on Sauvage by Dior. I was just telling a BN pal yesterday that my favorite thing about this scent is Johnny Depp. It was on track to be something I'd like, maybe even consider for my husband, until the enormous dose of Ambroxan hit me. Very unpleasant.

My main perfume goals for 2015 were to re-connect with fragrant friends, get back to BN, host at least one sample pass and try to contribute something meaningful but also fun. I have been doing what LaFlâneuse mentioned, keeping purchases of FBs to my most beloved houses. I've mainly purchased from Chanel (though their Chance Eau Vive was one of the year's letdowns for me) and Guerlain. Would love to add some more Histoires de Parfums scents to my collection as they have joined Guerlain and Chanel to form my holy trinity of houses. Have my eye on a few Piguets as well. But I think the size of my collection will remain static as I finish off fragrances that are "one-bottle stands" and replace them with scents I've been wanting. And I'll probably just continue sampling wherever the wind takes me. Helps keep the child-like wonder alive, I think.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Basenotes Institution

Very very glad to hear good things about Dior Sauvage, beautiful on its own self and not through effort and association only.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Very very glad to hear good things about Dior Sauvage, beautiful on its own self and not through effort and association only.
    Eh? Is this super ironic?

Freed from BN Institution

Lots's have happened in 2015

Best Fragrances/Worst Fragrances: Best fragrances are probably some Creeds that I've sampled and acquired this year. Too many fragrances in the Worst category to name.

Discoveries: I discovered Guerlain fragrances, all of the classics!

People: Some longtime BNers returned like Whitefluffy, Quarry, Mimi Gardenia, Asha to name a few.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

....and then Mimi left again.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Like PerfumedLady, l've been concentrating on appreciating what l have, & l've only purchased a couple of perfumes this entire year! l've managed to finish a few bottles, too.

l still enjoy sampling whatever takes my fancy, without feeling the need to sample or buy everything, but even this has slowed down recently.

There isn't anything on my must-buy list at the moment, although l think Santa might bring me one or two things...

2015 was a very good perfume sampling year for me, probably because I managed to travel more than previous years.

Non-2015 releases I discovered this year: Guerlain's Parfum du 68, which immediately took residence in my top 5 list. Also discovered Dior's Collection Privee, which I'm a big fan of. And I finally gained an appreciation for Piguet's Bandit, I think the current formulation is actually better than the one I had previously from the 2000s.

2015 release: I really liked Oud Palao and Oud Satin Mood.
    Last edited by chypre; 10th December 2015 at 09:46 PM.
    Currently wearing: Luna by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    There isn't anything on my must-buy list at the moment
    I'm ending 2015 with an empty to-buy list as well, having had a fevered buying frenzy of vintage bottles over the last couple months, mostly backups of favorites, but also several vintage minis to sample, in addition to receiving some vintage decants from Basenoters, which thankfully, so far, have not surpassed the favorites I just backed up, although impressive.

I find it difficult to recall which new releases I may have experienced as I don't particularly seek them out either.

What I loved this year turned out to be Myrrhe and Amber. I discovered the house of Profumum Roma and Olivine and both have really grabbed my attention. A few new favorite fragrances include Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax, Aroma M Geisha Noire, Profumum Roma Fiori D'Ambra, Tauer Une Rose Chypree and Amber Flash.

I discovered that Amber is an accord rather than a single note and was pleasantly surprised and joyful to reelaize that this means my hubby isn't always allergic.

I've made some wonderful new friends in the fragrance world this year, both here and in other locales. I continue to be impressed with the fragrance loving community.

My want list is well shrunken and I hope to dramatically slow my acquisition pace now!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge
    Currently wearing: Great Lady by Evyan

Between two pine trees

I bought more than I realized this year but less than I wanted to. My wishlist is still pretty long, and some fragrances have been languishing there for a long time. (3 Serge Lutens bell jars are among those with the most cobwebs.)

I didn't sample as much this year as I did in other years, preferring to concentrate instead on the samples, decants, and bottles I already have. I found that immensely satisfying.

When I did sample, I was almost invariably disappointed or, at best, underwhelmed. Only five samples that I tried made it to either my collection or my wishlist.

The first one was Phaedon Tabac Rouge. I fell in love the moment it hit my skin. It's everything I wanted TFPB Tobacco Vanille to be (but wasn't), at half the price. TV somehow loses its structure on me; it falls apart about 15 minutes in and just smells kind of dusty. With as many devotees as TV has, I assume the problem is with my skin. But my goodness, Tabac Rouge is *glorious*. Twolf, I think you might really like this one. It's on my wishlist right now but only because Osswald sold out of it moments before I called them about it on Cyber Monday.

The second sample was a huge surprise because I'm generally not very taken with this house. It was Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt. I think it's just lovely. Some citrus, wood, just a touch of salt ... It's a different kind of JFP fragrance. No florals, but JFP all the same. I was smitten. It's what I wore constantly in Iceland last month. It just seemed to fit. I'm hoping to pick this one up soon.

The others were Diptyque Eau Moheli (glorious ylang-ylang and pepper) -- which I bought within a couple of weeks of sampling it -- Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, and Atelier Cologne Pomelo Paradis. Oh, that's right! I went on a real citrus kick this year, and those last two were among my favorites (Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine being the other one; I tried OS in 2014).

I managed to get my wardrobe completely updated, recataloging all of my samples and decants, too. Within a week, it was out of date of again. Sigh.

On the whole, it's been a good year even though several of my favorite people went away for a while. I'm glad two of them are back.
    Currently wearing: Fate Woman by Amouage

Personal Discovery: When I look back on 2015, I notice a number of changes in my approach to scent. I am far less influenced by reviews than I used to be, as well as less inclined to buy a full bottle of anything other than a Must-Have-True-Love. The MHTLs are fewer as I refine my tastes. I have learned that I love animalics but are extremely picky about roses and fruit (except citrus) and that I don't care for nearly all the perfumes created by Bertrand Duchaufour, Kyoto being the exception. I love that when I'm getting ready in the morning, when I say to myself "What shall I wear today?" I'm thinking about perfume and not clothes.

Best of 2015: Although both were introduced in 2014, I loved and purchased DelRae Wit and Van Cleef & Arpel's California Reverie. Both are easy to wear summer florals on me.

Most Disappointing of 2015: Pichola (Duchaufour!) smelled like celery on me. From the notes it should have been true love. Dior Feve Delicieuse I gave away almost immediately. It was sort of a bitter caramel, most unpleasant. I was also unimpressed with Naomi Goodsir Iris Cendre and Ormonde Jayne Vanille d'Iris. I like iris so was surprised that both of those were misses.

Plans for 2016: I plan on trying to use up decants that will otherwise turn and swapping away or selling bottles I no longer love. I'd like to get acquainted with Papillion's offerings-- Anubis and Salome got a lot of love. Also I haven't smelled Musc Tonkin yet and I think I would like it.

People of the Year: I am so grateful to be a part of such a generous community, especially to teardrop, kumquat, PerfumedLady, remik, and all the contributors to the Female SOTD forum. It is such fun to drink my coffee in the morning and rejoice or commiserate with everyone's comments.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Eh? Is this super ironic?
    Yes. :-)

Lol, I'd know that super ironic, sarcastic sense of humor anywhere! Good one, Mrs. T. You've been missed!

Basenotes Institution

Thank you! The funny thing about having refined taste -- like yours, for example, PerfumedLady -- is that it does not go away either when the funds that support it or people that stimulate it disappear.

Very grateful to be back and read all your comments. Tabac Rouge even sounds right up my alley, something that will endure to earn its keep among the lingering legacy of blandness.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Thank you! The funny thing about having refined taste -- like yours, for example, PerfumedLady -- is that it does not go away either when the funds that support it or people that stimulate it disappear.
    Oh, boy is that the truth. Believe me, sometimes during my BN hiatus I wished that refinement would go away, lol. Whatever happened to my days of just a few expensive perfumes, plus a whole bunch of great drugstore cheapies? I was perfectly happy back then! But the great drugstore finds are fewer in number now. Still, this is part of refinement as you well know, Twolf. A well-educated nose can still find the goodies in any price range.

My break from BN and subsequent lack of sample swapping is what led me to try so many new releases this past year. My curiosity did not go away, either-but I settled for department store sampling. And this is how I met the hilariously bad Sauvage! Do give it a sniff, Twolf-just for the giggles!

Time for a 2015 summary from a Sauvage fan, the thread is yours, to mix it up, although I find the empathy from Cazaubon, Kaern, and PerfumedLady reassuring, so some more of that would do as well!

Oh, yes! Bavard is right! While we can be harsh on perfumes themselves, we do not pass judgment on individual tastes here. Please do not take offense or let us scare you away, Sauvage fans!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Oh, yes! Bavard is right! While we can be harsh on perfumes themselves, we do not pass judgment on individual tastes here. Please do not take offense or let us scare you away, Sauvage fans!
    Exactly. Thank you.

And I have to laugh that they thought I was going to wear that stuff as a perfume. Unbelievable!

I'm completely, half kidding. I gave it a neutral!
    Last edited by Bavard; 14th December 2015 at 03:23 PM.

Did anyone else find the TV advert for Sauvage inexplicable? It was bordering on No5 with Brad Pitt for sheer 'what is this??? People get paid money for doing this!'

Except that the Sauvage one seemed to be influenced by Mescal....

In 2015, I found my way to Basenotes once Perfume of Life went away. Also, I bought way too much perfume, more than I was able to consume over the course of the year.
    ----
    Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. - William Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm ending 2015 with an empty to-buy list as well, having had a fevered buying frenzy of vintage bottles over the last couple months, mostly backups of favorites, but also several vintage minis to sample, in addition to receiving some vintage decants from Basenoters, which thankfully, so far, have not surpassed the favorites I just backed up, although impressive.
    I was put to the test tonight. My wife, in the Christmas spirit, asked if I wanted to add any perfume to her order from Sephora. I passed. Cold blooded.

Later, walking the dog, I decided I might try to get to her to buy me a Surrender to Chance care package.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I was put to the test tonight. My wife, in the Christmas spirit, asked if I wanted to add any perfume to her order from Sephora. I passed. Cold blooded.

Later, walking the dog, I decided I might try to get to her to buy me a Surrender to Chance care package.
    LOL!!!!!
    Are'nt we alike. I've just now cleared up my samples and in spite of it all, itch for the same.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Oland by Avon

Among many fragrance-related and other news, details and infos, shared here and on other more or less similar fragrance forums/boards/communities, noticed that the budget or, at least reasonably priced houses like Yves Rocher and L'Occitane did have a fair share of decent releases for any gender