Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default Don't believe the hype

Some people just want to believe they smell great because they spent a lot of coin on a fragrance. Come on man, there are aftershaves that smell better than your niche scent. Don't get me wrong, I know there are niche scents that smell great but don't let the price of your spray make you think you smell better than the next guy wearing something that cost 20 times less.
    What's the cheapest scent you rocked that made you feel like a million bucks?

Default Re: Don't believe the hype

OK, I wont.

But I do think I smell considerably better than the next guy.

The hype is always too strong. The hype is a noria that never stops, something is top now, something is down.
    The only thing to avoid to get caught in the hype's noria is to test and make own opinions.
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Now they'll tell you they wear scents only for themselves and nothing else matters to them. That way you can't argue against their super niche scents.

Yeah, you can make wisecracks all you want but some people want to believe (or force themselves to) that because they spent a lot it must be good. Any of you true fragrance heads know better, but to all the young beginners out there....the nose knows best. Remember that.

As some of the cheapest fragrances in terms of price with extremely good quality and value for the money (even if they are not the most hyped) can immediately name, among others: Lapidus pour Homme, Playboy VIP, Zara Man Gold, Spicy and Incense, Halston Z14, Yardley Citrus&Wood
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

M by Purdistance makes me feel a million bucks.. well no, just 400 euros spent on a great scent...
    free as the wind !

Personally, I don't care about aftershaves and I really don't care if somebody smells great by using cheaper scent than me. Its all about choice.

Many times many people have said that "spending more doesn't mean that your perfume will perform more". I know/have many perfumes/oils with low cost but with great smell.
    Bottom line is...its all about your taste and nose....sometimes, you are very much satisfied with <30$ scent and sometimes, you even don't bother a >500$ scent.

I wanna mention some low priced perfumes but they performs great for me.

Jovan Musk (specially white musk for men)
    Ajmal Silver Shade
    Rasasi Tasmeem
    Rasasi Yazan
    Dunhill Desire
    Nautica Voyage
    Rasasi La Yuqawam

Bentley Intense <---

And obviously, Axe chocolate deodorant. It's unbeatable.

Sent from HTC One
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Valentino

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    As some of the cheapest fragrances in terms of price with extremely good quality and value for the money (even if they are not the most hyped) can immediately name, among others: Lapidus pour Homme, Playboy VIP, Zara Man Gold, Spicy and Incense, Halston Z14, Yardley Citrus&Wood
    I would like add CK One Shock, Mila Schon Uomo (current version), Nautica Voyage to that list too.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

I'm not overly concerned with what the guy next to me is wearing. I'm only really interested in personally enjoying my chosen scent for the day. And yes that doesn't mean people around me are also enjoying it.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Timothée Kal View Post
    I would like add CK One Shock, Mila Schon Uomo (current version), Nautica Voyage to that list too.
    CK One Shock is also amazing and impressive quality for the price
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Sound Scents

The original EA reissue of Giorgio for Men (before it was ruined by the later IFRA driven reformulation). I believe the 4 oz bottle cost me $12 delivered.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Personally, I don't care about aftershaves and I really don't care if somebody smells great by using cheaper scent than me. Its all about choice.

Many times many people have said that "spending more doesn't mean that your perfume will perform more". I know/have many perfumes/oils with low cost but with great smell.
    Bottom line is...its all about your taste and nose....sometimes, you are very much satisfied with <30$ scent and sometimes, you even don't bother a >500$ scent.

I wanna mention some low priced perfumes but they performs great for me.

Jovan Musk (specially white musk for men)
    Ajmal Silver Shade
    Rasasi Tasmeem
    Rasasi Yazan
    Dunhill Desire
    Nautica Voyage
    Rasasi La Yuqawam
    Where can one get Rasasi fragrances cheap online? Been looking into this house but I can't find any of their fragrances cheap online.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

That's great. To all the beginners out there, don't wear a Chanel or Dior or any scent just because the name. Remember, nobody can smell a name on you unless they recognize your cologne, which by the way, is not usually a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothée Kal View Post
    Where can one get Rasasi fragrances cheap online? Been looking into this house but I can't find any of their fragrances cheap online.
    Actually I never tried to locate/buy them online as we do have stores near by. May be someone else can help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMan View Post
    ... Remember, nobody can smell a name on you unless they recognize your cologne, which by the way, is not usually a good thing.
    And then you screwed up...
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

As long as you're happy with your fragrance, it doesn't really matter if it's hyped up or if you'd spent a small fortune on it. It's your money. Who are they to say that their $30 drugstore fragrance smells better than your $300 bottle? 'Anti-hype' IMO is just as insidious as 'hype'.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMan View Post
    What's the cheapest scent you rocked that made you feel like a million bucks?
    Prince Giancarlo by Jeanne Arthes
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Versace Dreamer
    Michael Jordan Legend
    I wear fragrance to smell good to everyone, not just myself

Not sure about "cheapest", but these are all excellent cheapies (< $50) IMO:

Aramis Havana
    Perry Ellis 360° Red
    Nautica Voyage
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Kenneth Cole Black

But I have bought a lot of cheapies that just smell... well... cheap.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Hmm... Probably Versace the Dreamer.. Lovely stuff.

Per ml. pricewise it's Versace Man. Got a 100ml at a nice price. Absolutely fantastic juice.

Nobody's going to judge a fragrance's value or quality in terms of price like they would with an automobile where the difference between a Ferrari and Fiat is readily apparent. You're not going to see the bottle, be able to touch or taste it (well, most of the time), so the only means of evaluating it is by smelling which, perhaps next to sight and sound, is the most subjective experience possible which, in turn, can only be measured against the palette of acquired knowledge one has accumulated. I'm reminded of Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and his musings as a professor in an attempt to get his students to understand what quality really is. You can't define or describe its nebulous concept, yet you know what it is when you see it (or in this case, smell it).

As for inexpensive scents, Lanvin Avant Garde comes to mind, but my absolute steal is David Yurman Limited Edition. It's a good example of a scent that originally MSRP'ed for $250, but can be had, in tester form, for about $30 - proof pudding that something's value is determined not necessarily by its quality, but rather what someone is willing to pay for it at any given time.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Dependent

Why cant people just like what they like without one or the other side trying to justify their choice by picking apart anothers? Whether or not someone likes expensive fragrances or cheapers fragrances based only on price is up to the individual. We all enjoy this hobby for different reasons and in different ways. There is no right or wrong even if someone bases their liking a fragrance on price or country of manufacturer. We all like what we like for different reasons. I think the only real thing that should be acknowledged and admitted to is that we should not try to make ourselves feel better about our choices by putting down the choices of others. If someone believes they smell better because they spent more that is their choice and their right. And any attempt to try and change their opinion on the subject has me wondering are you really trying to convince them, or yourself?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Williams Aqua Velva Ice Blue Aftershave @ under $0.84 US per ounce when I bought it. Of course it doesn't last long but for an hour or so after application it has me smiling.
    3x2(nyz)4a

Leaves glide to soft ground
    Below, cicadas await
    Time itself a dream
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I can wear Ben Sherman or Clive Christian -- it makes no difference because I am extraordinarily handsome

Last edited by peter4ptv; 11th December 2015 at 05:03 PM.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

I wouldn't say it makes me feel like a million bucks, but Aspen is one of the best smelling ultra-cheapies I've come across. I received a good number of compliments when I wore this years ago.

Something that is "hyped" simply means that a lot of people like it. Its possible that some people simply follow the trend and don't truly enjoy it but that's not important to me, neither is it verifiable in any instance. If I sample something and don't find it interesting (like CH men for instance) I simply dismiss it. I am pretty sure most people are fairly capable of discerning what they like to wear or what is not for them. Do we need to be so uppity about "hypes"?

For someone to say that something is "not worth the hype" they would need to be certain that there are many people who PRETEND to like the object of hype. But purely philosophically, no one can know that for sure. Forget what people say, sample your stuff and be your own judge.

Another thing is that people who are new to this hobby tend to read all the reviews out there and start building some sky high expectations and when those expectations are not met they get pissed off and feel fooled. I can see how that could be frustrating though.
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

My inexpensive fragrances get the most attention.
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Caron The Third Man
    Carven Homme
    Rasasi Al Wissam
    Perry Ellis M
    Mint Blanc Individuel
    LIDGE

I enjoy all of those as well.
    "If consequences dictate a course of action, than it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught." MJK.